Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

If yall hadn't heard, the Fiat 500 is coming to America:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/02/hallelujah-the-fiat-500-is-coming/
Hopefully it will be much cheaper than the Mini (so that it can sell) and still be profitable for Fiat/Chrysler.

Hope and pray that you'll get this thing:

What's that above the side indicator? Why, I believe that's a green four-leaf clover :hawaaaafap:

The MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde is set to be released any day now and features a new 1.4L Multiair turbo engine with 170HP@5500 and 250NM@2500, active suspension and plenty of Alfa magic. According to the journalists who've driven it, it has absolutely razor sharp handling and is amazingly chuckable and the engine is nothing short of a masterpiece. They say it pulls like a 2.5-3.0L NA V6.

It also does 40MPG somehow.

Rumors have been circulating about Alfa making a 240HP GTA version as well, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The TC would be absolutely great for highway use if you got the diesel+manual gearbox, but unfortunately you're only getting a torque-deficient 2L gasoline+automatic model.

Apart from that, it's a great little van.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Banana_Boy posted:

First production pictures of the next Hyundai Elantra are out:

Overall I like it. I find their 'Fluidic Design' can have some odd angles from the front, but its one hell of an improvement over the current model.

Aside from the massive and ungainly rear end, I actually like it. Had you shown me those pictures ten years ago and said "this is what a Hyundai will look like in a decade", I'd would never have believed it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

(It's a 2008 article, but it still fits here, and it's almost 2011)

http://www.leftlanenews.com/abarth-2011.html

This had better come true. Lotus chassis, Fiat drivetrain and Abarth madness? YES PLEASE!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 27, 2010

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dr JonboyG posted:

I'd drive one just to pretend I'm driving an F1 or piloting a fighter jet. I dunno why, but I just love the dash layout for some reason.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Is the 500 Abarth SS with 160hp a bit low on power for your needs?

How about 264hp instead?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/30/slick-little-number-pogea-racing-develops-fiat-500-ferrari-deal/

:flashfap:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

In fact, drivers can go more than 500 miles*

*With the optional 100-gallon fuel tank :haw:

Why don't they stop beating around the bush and just tell people the MPG outright? 500 miles means nothing when you don't know the size of the tank.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrKatharsis posted:

My Camry has a 17 gallon tank, and I've eked 500 miles out of the thing between road trip fillups. :colbert:

35 litres and about 800km with a bit of effort :colbert:

(9.25 gallons and 500 miles if anyone cares)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I love reading about cars and car technology but I also can't wait to finish school and move into the city so I never have to worry about buying/paying for/maintaining one again. Plus there's break-ins, vandalism, finding parking, lovely drivers, etc.

I live in Copenhagen and between the parking charges, vandalism, amazing public transport and the expenses of car ownership, I'm selling my car this spring.

Bike, bicycle and public transport can take care of 99,9% of my transportation needs and any store selling larger items (IKEA etc.) have delivery services with reasonably prices.

I can wait until I have a family and a house with a nice garage outside the city for any further car ownership.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's like a sexy four-seater version of the clown shoe.

I want.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is one stunning design, I hope they actually go through with it and make it better than the X1/9.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Left Ventricle posted:

A Civic Si with torque?!

Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

I'd be really impressed if they could keep those proportions. The engine is gonna be squeezed in pretty tight. Still, this might be the thing to offer some genuine competition to Miatas, which are going to be lighter in the next iteration.

Hell, they could make it front-engined and easily keep those lines, I sure wouldn't mind.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dr JonboyG posted:

Has anyone linked Chris Harris' epic anti-Ferrari rant yet?

http://jalopnik.com/!5760248

Ferrari has gone truly mad.

I bet good old Enzo (cranky bastard that he was) is spinning wildly in his grave.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A5H posted:

It's like a 8C hosed an elise :stare:

And hosed it good.

I like the end result.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

el topo posted:

I quite like it, I find it stylish.

The 407 Coupé is much better looking IMHO:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Scabrous Teat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7_UTk0d6Y Say whatever you want about their cars but that's definitely a level above any Toyota ad. Made by the agency responsible for Honda's "Cog" advertisement.

Really well done ad.

It sums up my view on automated cars, anyway. gently caress you safety nazis, I want to drive the drat thing myself and go wherever the gently caress I want to go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

The old Beetle never even got the 2.0T, did it?

It got the 1.8T but not the 2.0T.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Is the new one just a MKVI in a Beetle suit?

Yup.

Then again, most of VW's current cars are based on that platform:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform#A5_.28PQ35.29

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mazda press release posted:

Bore and stroke: 71.0mm x 82.0mm

Isn't that awfully oversquareundersquare for a gas engine? It's awfully close to the 69.60mm × 82.00mm of my car's diesel engine.

EDIT: vvvv I stand corrected.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 20, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

The market needs more inline 3 RWD cars.

100% agreed.

3-cylinder engines actually sound pretty good.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 5, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eames posted:

:psyduck:

Look at that torque curveplateau.

I want one, right loving now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ziploc posted:

Finally. I've been waiting for a long time to see a manufacture add another gear to a manual.

"The PDK double clutch auto has been sharpened up again but it is the manual that might be introduced that breaks new ground. In effect it is a manually controlled single clutch version of PDK which means, for the first time in any manual production car I can think of, seven forward speeds."

What the devil? :psyduck:

Porsche, you crazy crazy Germans!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

Huh. Makes sense I suppose. A dual clutch is in effect just an electronically actuated manual gearbox, turning it into a manual would be a simple case of stripping out the extra clutch and whatnot. I wonder if with the widespread adoption of the 7 speed dual clutch, 7 speed manuals will become the norm on future economy cars too?

Probably in 10-15 years time. Most economy cars don't even have 6-speeds yet.

I wonder how the shifter pattern will be or if it will be sequential?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Muffinpox posted:

You could do it with a dogleg 1st with reverse in the same gate and have 6-7 share one.

Perhaps I'm just tired, but can you draw this for the :downs: among us?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Q_res posted:

R 2 4 6
|-|-|-|
1 3 5 7

Well, that was my first thought as well, but wouldn't that cause issues with the stick stick effectively being centered between the two center gates?

Or are you proposing a lockout similar to BMW's and VAG's gearboxes?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No matter how they do it, I can't wait to see Jeremy Clarkson's reaction to it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Russian Bear posted:

What's the wear rate on sequential gear boxes in cars? Because I think your average person is terrified of the clutch and would be much more likely to learn a different way of shifting on a sequential.

The hardest part of working a clutch is getting going from a standstill and you still need the clutch for getting a sequential gearbox going..

Unless you do something like the Ferrari e-gear or BMW SMG, but those are automated manual gearboxes, not real sequentials like in a WRC car or motorcycle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

Focust ST Wagon.

If only they'd made this with the turbo 2.5L 5-cylinder, it would have been perfect. Now, it's just awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ought ten posted:

Aren't those wheels just taken straight off the 09 Golf?

Sort of a mix between those and the optional alloys on the current Mondeo:

I like it. Kia have been pretty nice to look at for the last couple of years.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kia has shown a new concept car at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

"Oh", I hear you say, "It's probably some eco-minded multipurpose kid-hauler with electric motors and boooooriiiiiing."

How does a 390hp 3,3-liter turbo V6, RWD and four doors sound? It sure doesn't sound like any Kia I've ever seen. It's called the Kia GT and OH GOD PLEASE KIA MAKE THIS CAR (but tone down the ugliness a bit, please?). Hyundai did pretty well with the Genesis, you can do it!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/frankfurt-2011-kia-gt-concept-2011-09-13

EDIT: More pics here: http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1109_kia_gt_concept/photo_09.html#photo

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 13, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Left Ventricle posted:

Have car makers forgotten that people have arms, and that said arms sometimes need to be somewhere other than pointing at the steering wheel or shifter? Resting on something, if you will?

I've never missed an armrest in my Panda, not even for long drives. In fact, the only car I've ever used one in was my parents' (automatic) Mercedes.

I usually just rest my left arm on the door or my right on my leg v:shobon:v

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BonzoESC posted:

Because the engine is designed and tested to run just fine on 87. There used to be a sticky thread on Prius Chat (don't ask) saying that higher octane than 87 doesn't actually help gas mileage (measured per gallon).

Hell, many motorcycles are designed for 87 AKI (92 RON) gas, even though they can have upwards of 12:1 compression and over 130 hp/liter.

So it's not just economy-minded vehicles that run fine on low-octane gas, it's all down to engine design and ignition timing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MiniFoo posted:

A moment of silence, please.

1967-2012 R.I.P. Mazda, your Skyactiv engine better be loving amazing.

quote:

[Rotary engines] engines have fewer moving parts and are quieter than comparable piston engines

Ahahaha, sure thing, whatever you say buddy :rolleyes:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Third Man posted:

That's not a very fair criticism considering any offering from Rolls Royce or Bentley, which I believe this car is meant to compete with, will have similarly low power-to-weight figures.

It's only 20hp or so less than a Rolls-Royce Phantom and probably lighter, so I'm guessing the performance will be 'adequate' :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh how I wish the FT-86/BRZ could be sold at a reasonable price here. Instead, it's probably going to cost a million billion bucks. If they even decide to bring it here :(

I just want a reasonably-sized, reasonably-priced RWD 4-seater with a fun little revvy engine. Is that really too much to ask for?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserface posted:

where are you?

Denmark. The cheapest 1.8 Miata is ~$70K.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

Ouch! That's almost singapore-bad. Any way you could buy it in another country and drive it home without the massive mark-up?

Well, sure.

But it won't have any plates on it and you won't be able to drive it on public roads :v:

It's not the car as such that's ridiculously expensive, it's the registration. The car by itself is around $23K, the rest is taxes and registration fees.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oRenj9 posted:

I'm completely disappointed. I remember hearing a while back that the U.S. was going to get a substantial power increase. I also don't see why such a small engine doesn't have a six-speed gearbox.

The standard 500 Abarth has 135hp in Europe, 160hp with the SS pack. You get 160hp standard in the US and probably 180hp with the SS pack. Isn't that a significant power increase?

It has a 5-speed gearbox because Fiat doesn't have a 6-speed gearbox that's small enough to not completely murder the turn radius, yet beefy enough to take the power. Space is VERY limited.

The Multiair engine is has plenty of torque that you won't miss the 6th gear.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eames posted:

Oh god not the "x hp isn’t enough!?" argument again. He’s right about the gearbox.

80-180km/h:

160 hp/ ~1035kg '09 Fiat 500 Abarth EsseEsse: 21.6s
170 hp/ ~1200kg '07 R56 Mini Cooper S: 16.4s

The 500 is significantly smaller than the Mini, the engine compartment in particular. It significantly impacts the size and number of components you can use.

The turning radius on the Abarth is already atrocious compared to the standard 500, a larger 6-speed gearbox would give you the turning radius of an F-150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's a bit too much wood for my taste, but other than that it looks pretty sharp.