Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

decahedron posted:

From that article the V50 will still exist, yes?
Seems that way, and there might be a V60 soon too.

They'd have to be stupid to stop making wagons - the majority of Volvos I see on Canadian streets are still wagons, with a few poverty-spec S40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Weinertron posted:

:psyduck: They start at $27,000, how can any of them be poverty-spec?
I didn't say it was my idea of poverty. Some of them have miserable chopped-up 1.8L nonturbo fours, from what I understand.

Most of the cars I see in that spec have been heinously abused (curbed rims, dented body panels) and it makes me unbelievably sad - first, because they ruined a Volvo, and second because all Volvos should be wagons. I'm assuming the abused ones were bought second-hand or given massive dealer incentives to get off the lot.

Ford Volvo pricing is ridiculous, though. Sort of similar to how Saab's prices went to the stratosphere as soon as GM decided they were a "luxury" brand. Their Canadian pricing is screwed up as well; the C30 starts at $27,695 and goes to $40,695 for the T5R package.

e: For clarification, I'm talking about the "first gen" S40s, built in the Netherlands with Mitsubishi parts. The current gen S40 is apparently related to the Mz3 and starts with a 2.4L I5.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

e: this sort of logic is also infuriating and sad:
"In real-world driving, lift-off oversteer could occur when a driver enters a highway’s exit ramp or drives through a sweeping turn and encounters an unexpected obstacle or suddenly finds that the turn is too tight for the vehicle’s speed. A natural impulse is to quickly lift off the accelerator pedal. If that were to happen in the GX, the rear could slide around far enough that a wheel could strike a curb or slide off the pavement."
With this kind of logic, it suddenly makes sense to me why traction control is so ludicrously invasive on modern cars.

If your only instinct when going into corners too hot in any car is to suddenly lift throttle completely, you are probably going to spin out in any car, regardless of which end(s) the power is coming out of. Hell, you could probably spin out an FWD doing the same thing - and many people have.

How do these morons deal with hydroplaning? Snow? Why does it still surprise me that the majority of people are incapable of operating a car? :psyduck:

I wonder how Consumer Reports handles cars with actual snap oversteer issues.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
After watching the video, that is a fairly aggressive amount of oversteer considering the traction control is supposed to be working at that point - none of the other SUVs reviewed go wild like that. It doesn't invalidate my argument about needing better driver training before you get into a powerful, tall RWD-biased vehicle, though.

CR's target market is morons, so their recommendation is based on "will a moron cross the yellow line and tag me with his rear end going around a blind corner doing 40 over while talking on his cellphone and ferociously masturbating to his in-dash TV?"

e: At least it's not as clearly unrealistic as their test of the Samurai.

ee: This actually looks like fun. I wonder if I can scam my local TV news into giving me the keys of one of these things so I can demo it on air.

eee: vvv You wouldn't be the only one. I got to see a Skyline that had wrapped itself around a lightpole on 14th. Aftermarket front mount intercooler. Guess how well removing that safety beam ended up?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 14, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/19/video-minis-mission-control-is-um-how-you-say-ridiculousl/

"If you love the handbrake, you have to set it free." :suicide:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

That's cool. I'm kinda wanting one. I think it would make a really good camping/bicycle hauling vehicle. Plus unlike the Honda Element and similar vehicles I could fit a motorcycle and associated tools in back. The thing I wonder about the engine is since its based on the same four cylinder that's in the Ford Focus will the hop ups from one carry over to the other?
Apparently there are already some modified examples out there, so I would imagine everything would work.

It's a pity it's bad on the highway - I know a guy with a VW Eurovan that is absolutely fantastic at highway speeds, and I would have figured a Euro-descended Ford van to be at least as stable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm hoping the lack of a manual transmission is because of the chicken tax build; apparently that's the same reason manual Sprinters don't really exist in North America.

According to the M-B rep I talked to about it, almost all automatic Sprinters built are destined for our shores because that's what the majority want and it's much cheaper just to bring over identical models powertrain-wise (the Sprinter is damned expensive either way, though). I'll bet that if they start building the Connect in the States that a manual transmission option will arise from the decreased cost of federalization.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The burnout is incredible: http://jalopnik.com/5531592/ferrari-599-gto-enters-tunnel-of-love

If only I could afford a 599 GTO.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

hedge posted:

You can now build your own! Mine's Avorio with the Abu Dhabi Blue stripe and it's classy as hell.
I got mine in the historical racing livery. There's just no substitute.

Goddamn, that is one beautiful car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The M3 GTS' stats are out. That's one spicy meatball.

I think even the fire extinguisher holder is cut down for light weight.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I can think of pretty obvious improvements to make to the Civic Si in order to have it start approaching the (frankly ridiculous) premium MSRP. Less weight, a better suspension setup, a stronger gearbox, more distinctive styling. These are things that would make it still hold its own against the more powerful (and frequently cheaper) turbos.

I dunno what they could really improve in the "civilian" model in order to make it compete better with the Hyundai econoboxes, though. Certainly fuel economy (direct injection!) would be a step in the right direction, but I'm not seeing much wrong with the base model Civic's offerings other than price and styling.

They should also consider fixing the atrocious UFO dashboard from the Fit. Maybe someone should check on Acura and make sure they haven't accidentally hired a blind person in their styling department, too.

edit: I just went to the Honda website to do a "build your own." Perhaps they should consider offering the Si coupe in red.

edit 2: While we're on the subject, what the gently caress is Nissan doing?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 27, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

The manual in the Fiesta is a 5 speed. The Fit comes with the 6MT
No, I believe the Fit is a 5-speed manual. It turns like four grand in top gear going 100kph. A 6-speed Fit would be pretty keen.

I agree with the rest of what you said, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They say "bulldozer," but I'm suspecting that it was really just a Bobcat or other front-end loader. It seems really hard to make a getaway on :killdozer: even without the humongous traffic jam he caused.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What the gently caress is wrong with Dodge?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/dodges-second-to-last-stand-the-man-van/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I kind of like it but it will lead to entirely new places to get door dings on your ride. Although, if you live in a place where lifted trucks are common, it's probably only a matter of time anyway.

Hopefully it doesn't have retardedly expensive tires and burn out "clutch" packs like the Smart does.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Sorta the point for someone who can afford to rally in a brand new car. If you tear any bodywork, I'm sure the whole piece can be replaced between stages very quickly.
I think he's talking about the BMW city car.

I'm assuming that carbon fiber can take more of a deformation impact than steel before it shatters, although once it shatters that's probably basically it for repairs. I wonder how the local bodyshop guys would even approach a job like that, short of replacing the whole thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good on Ford for that. It's a much better treatment for the Fiesta Movement cars than crushing them (though I hope Ford is keeping at least one of the remaining 57 for their museum/warehouse). I do have vacation time I haven't spent yet..

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is 800 ft lb the most torque offered in a stock consumer pickup truck to date?

I can't wait to see Chevy's response - we've already got morons driving their poorly maintaned modified Duramaxes into the Christmas tree at the local dragstrip, why not throw some more power on that IFS and hand it out to everyone?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 4, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo!

Those wheels are awful, though. Link

The nose is also a bit big, but it's butch and aggressive so I'm onboard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So Honda is apparently going to discontinue their hybrid models in Canada because of disappointing sales.

I'm as shocked as you are that it wasn't the Crosstour. How about a real wagon for a country that buys lots of them, Honda? Maybe with all the money you save not updating the Civic you could also put some double wishbones in it next time.

It's like watching Nissan self-destruct all over again, but this time the French aren't involved and the Fit is actually a decent small car. Maybe the Fiesta will force North American Honda to try and actually revise something.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 23, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Blocko posted:

I saw a crosstour at the gas station the other day. It look like Honda took an Accord , put it in a photocopier and hit 150%. Then jacked it up about 6". I think the problem with the crosstour is that you don't know what it's supposed to be, It's too high off the ground to be a wagon, but too small to be an SUV, and too long to be a sedan.
It's a testament to how loving awful the Crosstour is that the Acura version of it (the ZDX) looks significantly better. With the buckteeth.

They still look like lumpen computer mice with an Outback poorly welded to the bottom.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In that case, it's just the Crosstour that's massively ugly. :colbert:

Speaking of massively ugly, apparently the Juke is pretty okay despite its garish exterior. Who would have thought putting a turbocharger into an all-wheel-drive hatchback was a recipe for good times?

I can't see it catching on all that well, though. I haven't seen that many Cubes, and I'd consider that one to be more socially acceptable than the Juke. Nissan's website is also kind of unclear whether or not you can get AWD with the 6-speed manual transmission or you're forced into the CVT.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

quote:

Nissan ad exec: We want this ad to make the Juke look good. 
Ad agency: Well, we could show a close up of the Juke right after a showing really butch transvestite, so it'll look good by comparison. 
Nissan ad exec: Perfect! Let's run with it!

And so they did.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Something about it reminds me of the PT Cruiser.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hell loving yes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hey, who wants to see what's inside Ken Block's Fiesta?

I do, I do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
"Hey guys, we just built the Kia Forte Koup with a little more horsepower and no torsion beam in the rear!"
"Let's charge $2-6k more for it!"

I do dig the centre exit exhaust though.

From the comments:

quote:

Actually...I just went over to ToVTEC to read what was going on there, and I have to agree JPcar. This is just a bean-counters car, and apparently will have a cast-in exhaust manifold without VTEC on the exhaust side. What a joke. Honda lost their way, as all car companies do, when they let the accountants make the decisions and not the engineers. With their engine tech they could easily be screwing ~300 HP from 2.4L but just can't be bothered. I know I won't be buying another Honda until they change their ways...which is sad, since I love my Prelude.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 2, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

So my company does online video analysis. The Bridgestone Superbowl ads so have have amassed over 6 million views, while the Acura Sports Wagon ad (which was rolled out in October) can't even break 500k. Sort of a testament to what a good ad can do for you, as well as how boring Acura is.
I'm loath to chalk it up solely to the automatic, but that's pretty much when I personally checked out. I'm not sure the market for wagons that don't look like cancerous mini-SUVs is that large outside of the vocal enthusiast groups. They may well have no idea how to sell it, so their marketing department just fell back to "hey, let's make an ad with a car in it." I don't think they're even selling the TSX wagon in Canada, which historically is a bigger market for hatchbacks than the USA. Oh, we are getting it. Wait, no. We were getting it, then Honda spontaneously cancelled it due to "market conditions."

If Cadillac can somehow justify having a rear-wheel-drive supercharged V8 station wagon with manual transmission and automatic options, Honda sure as hell can justify a front-wheel-drive four cylinder with the same option.

But then again, I also bristled at them calling a 200bhp FWD luxury sedan a "sports car," nice as the Acura TSX (which features a manual transmission option with the four cylinder and costs the same as an optioned-out WRX in its base trim) is.

e: Why can't I get an Accord wagon? Is the overlap between "people buying a base-model luxury car" and "people who want a station wagon" actually large enough to justify making it an Acura-only model? What the hell are they doing?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 9, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

hedge posted:

MINI is righting the universe by building a car smaller than the current Cooper Hardtop. They will be showing a concept version at the Geneva show. It has a carbon fiber frame, seats 3.5, and gets 94 miles to the English gallon. It's called the Bitch is Back Rocketman.
They need to make this loving car right now.

Too bad midsize/compact cars are so cheap here, otherwise we could probably have a North American version of the performance kei car segment - tiny engines with well-matched turbocharging. Just look at cars like the Honda City Turbo II. We could have that instead of a Smart Fortwo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think the transmission in the Cobalt SS/TC was any different from that of the regular SS or even the Cavalier - the Getrag F23 is a long-standing mainstay of the GM line.

The "no lift shift" isn't so much a feature of the transmission as the ECU - the hacky implementations on some standalone/standback ECUs for Subarus, Mitsubishis, Mazdas, etc just set the rev limiter to an appropriate value while the clutch is depressed and thus prevent you from blowing up the motor by dumping the clutch while the gas pedal is floored - similar to stutterbox launch control. If I recall correctly, it was also added to the Solstice GXP with a flash.

I agree with the rest of your points, though. GM advertises the Cruze in Canada with a lot of remarks regarding its touring car history, so at least they're not completely ignorant of the fact that people who are looking at it are already looking beyond "is a functional appliance car" or they would have already bought a Corolla.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 7, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

The Nissan Altima Hybrid I had you just pushed a button on the door to unlock. That's cool.
Yeah, I drove a Lexus HS250h hybrid that had a little swipe pad on the doorhandle that unlocked and a different one that locked it. I think it may also auto-lock once you get far enough away from it, but I didn't test it.

The neat thing is that if you killed the battery, you could still start it by removing the spring-loaded hidden key inside the keyfob to open the door, and then holding your keyfob against some part of the dashboard while pushing Start.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SouthLAnd posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/26/2012-hyundai-veloster-first-ride-review/

Hyundai Veloster first drive on AB if you haven't seen it yet. I still haven't made up my mind on the looks of the thing. It's kind of fugly.
I like it but it seems like it will be hard to keep that hatch from opening too far if you're in a parking garage with a low ceiling.

Why don't they make double hinged hatches that fold up and then forward onto the roof of the car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I was born a poor black Porsche 911 turbo in Zuffenhausen. In my early childhood I dreamed of taking mid-level executives at financial companies to and from important flights and maybe even taking a dotcom millionaire to his first HPDE since getting rid of his musty old Accord. I had also built a relationship with Maxine, a Turbo Beetle that I saw frequently, and we were in love.

Then he came.

The man stepped onto the production floor, gaunt, with a shock of white hair and hooded eyes that lured your gaze but returned nothing for your trouble. He tapped a bony finger on my front flank, moderately disturbing the perfect 0.0076mm wide sixteenth layer of clearcoat applied meticulously to me by Porsche AG engineers. "This one," he said. "This one will do."

I was taken on the back of a flatbed truck towards Pfaffenhausen. I could see the sky saturated with the hateful avian animals that would threaten my clearcoat and that of my friends further. "Schnell," I plead quietly to the work truck carrying me towards my destination, but he was a Scania and only understood Swedish.

They cut into my body with their saws and their grabby hands. I blacked out, awaking periodically throughout the operation.

"Ja," the man in white hair said to me, "you will be a bad motherfucker."

When I awoke, I felt different. Wider. Angrier. They had cut me everywhere, changing my bones to an aluminum composite space frame and tweaked my engine, which now rode in my middle, to produce a bottomless well of torque. I was now as far beyond the middle manager as this man was beyond sanity.

For days after that, I lapped the Nurburgring endlessly. I remember a Renault Clio that saw me, spun out in fear and then hid in the Armco, gibbering and tearing its own face off to escape my sputtering noises of rage. Two angry turbocharged Subarus approached me, their boxer engines clattering like mine, but their workaday Japanese engineering made them understeer and flap around as my perfect shell stole the wind and escaped. A motorcyclist wet himself as I bore down on him in the carousel with barely restrained glee. I was becoming a monster.

I fear I may never see Maxine again, but some part of me is afraid of what she will say once she sees me.

I am the RUF CTR3.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Apparently, all the keys were in the "key room", guarded by a locked doorhandle.
Other Nissan dealers I've seen have a computer-controlled key safe, but that doesn't mean this one does.

I wonder if they stole from their overflow lot - it's always stuffed full of tons of unsold cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The FWD Juke has a 6-speed manual transmission available. The AWD of course does not, and I'm assuming that's the only one you'd consider buying (me too).

The Juke engine is really cool though; it has a ton of future bullshit in it that will hopefully not be a repeat of the QR25DE engineering experiment.

Plus, it has this awesome video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8D8thlSn5Y

It's probably only a matter of time before it gets into the incredibly disappointing limp-noodle Versa as well.

e: Oh, I agree. I just meant that you, like me, would probably prefer both. vvv

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 27, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nissan's promotional video for the Juke's AWD system seems to imply that it's not full-time, so I suspect doing something like the Impreza RWD conversions is not really possible without reinforcing parts of the rear end (viscous plates in the rear axle stubs?) and subverting the transfer case/centre diff clutch controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzqRmwFg70M

The front suspension and transaxle are probably pulled directly off the FWD Versa.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not new car news, but this is officially the best car dealership ever.

It's got (among others):
  • An EJ25-powered VW Squareback ($6900 or best reasonable offer)
  • A factory original Hilux
  • A BMW 2002 (1602?)
  • Bertone Volvo 780
  • A few dilapidated monarchist ditchfinders (Spitfire, some kind of MG, TR6)
  • At least one 80s Porsche
  • A Jag XK 120, sitting and staring at commoners driving by
  • A back lot with what appears to be a pair of early-80s 5-series
  • Pinz 710M
I should get my green card so I can work there.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

This is important and I can't tell from the photos. Is the FT-86 the right 6-speed with reverse on the 1-2 side or the wrong 6-speed with reverse on the 5-6 side
Since it appears to have a pull-up collar, I'm assuming it's similar to the STI 6-speed in that the reverse is on the 5-6 leg.

I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese car with reverse under the 1. It's a VW thing surely?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Ah. I'm completely wrong then. My apologies - it does look like it's on the 1-2 leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Until I bothered to look at what Americans paid for leases I couldn't understand why anyone would possibly enter into one. Our cars also don't depreciate as fast, though.