Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those Camaro taillights are just not doing it for me. I love the hood and the Cadillacy angular rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

They were supposed to be bringing the Orlando to the US, I wonder what happened to that.
Canada is sometimes the test market for GMs that come to the US later, like the Pontiac Pursuit becoming the G5, etc.

Last year at our local auto show they had a semi-production Orlando and I really liked it. Nice size, nice interior, with a stick shift and a reasonable Ecotec. I'm hoping the production version is the same way so I can give it a test drive, though it's certainly not the kind of car I'm looking to buy.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 24, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is the Jetta hybrid the first OEM hybrid with a turbo? Too bad it's on such a boring car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've always liked the Fusion since it came out; the chassis designers were all involved with amateur motorsport at some level (mostly autocross) so the car has had some excellent suspension work done to it over the years. The latest model is drat near the way I remember the original Maximas being, plus a billion pounds.

Great brakes on the SEL V6 models, it almost makes up for the automatic. Lots of initial bite and fairly large calipers to deal with the massive weight of the AWD models.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Honda is resting on its laurels at this point, they are the Chrysler of Asian cars IMO.
What's Mitsubishi then? I'd say Honda's more like mid-90s Ford, minus the exciting parts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Are we really doing HUDs again? I thought they were a late 80s fad like digital dashboards.
Are fighter jets a late 80s fad?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I can't stand how plain the grille is, though. If they moved the logo off the hood area and onto the grille I'd like it much more. Right now it's just this big span of empty space with a shiny frame around it to highlight the awkward shape. I have the same problem with the Optima.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Honda put out this ad which pays homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off by giving Matthew Broderick a CR-V.

There's probably a metaphor for Honda's own middle age in here, in that they mostly just say "remember the 80s?" now while wistfully looking off into the distance and burping out inoffensive soft-edged garbage like this.

I have to give kudos to them allowing the car to bottom out and spark on the road, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I'm curious -- do all popup headlights have that mode?
I would expect not, since there's mechanical popup headlights like the Opel GT (though those almost certainly stay where they're put). I don't remember seeing that feature on an AE86 I drove either unless I was especially thick that day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

You want Dodge to bring back this? :stare:
Why not? That poo poo ruled. RWD station wagon with a big thirsty V8 up front? That car settled America.

No stick shift unfortunately. :( There used to be some goon who regularly tracked his, he had an avatar from one of those wife swap shows.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 8, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kill me now posted:

He wasnt a scrub of a driver (and I was on pirelli grand am spec slicks :v:)
That'd explain why you had to upgrade the power steering cooler for sure. What did you do for braking, uprated pads on the stock Brembo calipers and solid rotors?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/02/28/fisker-to-launch-production-karma-surf-wagon-at-paris-salon-in-s/

Why didn't they do this in the first place? Now I have a Hummer dealership to protest.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

grover posted:

Is it legal to shine a laser pointer on their phone and wag it around as a reminder?
About as legal as rolling down your window and firing a flare gun at them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So there's a bunch of poo poo bouncing around about the next generation of the WRX/STI, which will probably move from the 80s chic EJ series of boxer engines to the new and futuristic FB series (as seen in modified FA form in the BRZ/FRS/86/GT86).

Some of the rumours from various sources:
  • Coupe! This one seems unlikely.
  • Direct injection
  • Evo X style "lean spool"
  • Very low displacement (1.6L)
  • Electric turbocharger that uses a clutched heat-driven generator to simplify exhaust plumbing and reduce turbo lag
  • Twin-charging
  • CVT option
  • BRZ chassis, or at least substantially different from the Impreza
  • Possibly going upmarket?
There was also the news item from last week where Subaru Australia expressed disdain at having to listen to what other countries' Subaru offices think is best for the WRX/STI instead of turning it away from the fat fragile beast it's becoming and back at being a rally rocket. I say listen to the Australians.

As you can see, there's a whole pile of rumours and almost all of them are likely bullshit. We'll see what Subaru decides soon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know about the rest of them but this is clearly bullshit for a whole whack of reasons
BMW and FHI both have similar patents on it, so I'm willing to believe it's possible. Is it practical for consumer use? I'd be surprised.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 6, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

How about an actual cool new car that we like, the FIAT 500L?

Notably the 500L will be the first product to come out of the Kragujevac plant that FIAT has just aquired from Zastava, the very same birthplace of the legendary Yugo! Who would have guessed that the Yugoslavian car industry will be returning triumphantly to the US under tutelage of FIAT and Chrysler? :911::hf::tito::hf::italy:
It looks like a Chinese ripoff of a 500 they adjusted to fit an existing chassis. How did they gently caress this up?

The taillights are very cool. Getting rid of the bizarre boxed-off rear fender and that godawful chrome along the side of the car would go a long way to making it look better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
After looking at a few more pictures, it looks a lot better, like a Panda. That yellow low-angle shot is definitely not its most flattering angle, and the fixation automakers still have with chrome is perplexing.

Also, does it have four foglights or are those centre ones supposed to be high-beams?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of dry sump oiling. If they are upping the price into the $120k region then I think a dry sump from the factory should be expected.
It's pretty weird how far they're going to avoid doing it - having a flexible oil pickup that fights the G-forces to pull the deepest oil under surge conditions is a pretty complicated piece of engineering.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Just to be pedantic, the pickup goes with the G-force, right? It swings to the side where oil is pooling. I'd say a flexible pickup is still simpler engineering than a whole drysump setup.
Yeah. That's correct. I guess it's simpler, I just can't think of any other car that does it right now. Maybe other exotics.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe Honda has decided that Subaru's recent success in North America is due to ugly cars, and so has decided to make even uglier cars.

There's an entire office of designers somewhere in their HQ that has whisky on an IV drip.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Sigh... unfortunately. My fiancee has an '05 Forester and every now and then I wonder if when it comes time for that vehicle to move on to new owners if Subaru will still have something that is utilitarian (her taste) and also sporty (my taste).
The XV might check a few of those boxes for you. It appears to be the Outback Sport they always meant to build (but far short of the Gravel Express I wanted them to).

Shame about those wheels, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BabyMauler posted:

I don't know man, nothing can be worse than those twin turds Sebring and Avenger.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

We have a winner! I can't even begin to imagine how floppy that chassis is once the roof is cut off. I bet it pops off interior panels when you go over potholes.
My hard-top Cavalier cracked the dashboard once taking a hard uphill corner in -20.

ASC added front and rear strut tower braces to stiffen the car, which makes Cavalier convertibles a fairly sought-after junkyard treasure for people trying to upgrade their Z24.

Oddly, the convertible has a better side impact safety rating than the hardtop did. I have no idea why.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Funny thing about the door thunk, lots of manufacturers just stick strategically placed adhesive pads to replicate the noise on a thinner door skin. Much cheaper, same effect.
In the '04 STI, Subaru stripped as much of the sound deadening as they could out of it, including the doors. This meant that the doors sounded sort of hollow and lovely when you slam it, and people bitched.

For '05, Subaru added a single very small (2x2 inches, I think) square of sound deadening material in a strategic spot behind the door skin, solving the problem (as much as rattles can be solved on them).

It's neat how much sound colours our perceptions.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

According to wikipedia it's a Renault transmission. Also the American market export Sentras back then had independent rear suspension. The Mexican Tsuru uses a torsion beam for cost.
That blows. I was hoping to pick one up one day now that Harper has legalized Mexican import and throw an SR20 and NX transmission in it to get a rust-free B13 SE-R.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

I totally did not believe you and had to look that up myself to be sure.

OK, I'll just sit in the corner for a bit.
For a short period of time in Canada they were sold as low as $8500, but pretty much everyone immediately optioned them up far above what their previous MSRP was.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
At least when Chinese cars come here they will have a stick shift option.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

IIRC the Cobalt SS was priced in a similar way, of course it's long gone though.
At one point during GM's bankruptcy spiral you could get a Cobalt SS for less than a fairly well optioned out model locally. I regret not doing it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

travisray2004 posted:

What I don't understand is why this isn't in a Cruze SS. I'm think it'll be later on down the road but why debut in the Verano?

Looks like it's installed longitudinal in this application. I don't think it'd be all that easy to stuff a twin turbo V6 into an FWD car nowadays, even ignoring the fact that GM would have a hard time selling it (both at the price point as well as the inevitable insurance premiums).

Be fun to try, though. I bet GM engineering has a shop slut Cruze that they shove each new engine into as they develop it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I thought we were still talking about the twin turbo in the Cadillac CTS up above and missed the Buick Verano post. Sorry everybody.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would expect it has something akin to the Audi "service position" in order to get at anything more involved than the oil filter. 8 hours book time to do a turn signal bulb, that kind of thing. :v: It's probably a hoot to drive though.

I doubt you could trivially fit it in the Cruze (the Insignia is mid-size, right?), but probably someone will eventually try even if GM hasn't.

GM is probably afraid to put the GNX badge on a new car; everyone has such wildly varying expectations of it that it'd be hard to please with.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 12, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That just makes me wonder what the Durocco guy is up to. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the internet and his site is just blog spam now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think the light is only there because the EPA test cycle mandates they must obey the light. Same with the bizarro shift lights nowadays.

EPA test drivers must have an awful, hateful life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I like A and B-segment cars for their maneuverability more than their footprint in a parking space. Being able to easily see your corners and effortlessly slot the car into a space that might require a few more maneuvers in a C/D-segment is a big plus.
The iQ has a sixteen foot turning radius. That means you can easily do a u-turn inside your average two car garage with room to spare.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Why would you feel ashamed? That thing is great, like a Civic Wagon that made it with a Forester while a Twingo watched.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Didn't the mk4 R32 have it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

No, Honda. No! Bad company! Put it down.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think the most offensive part to me is that the wheels appear to be turning the wrong way. Shouldn't it be more like a machete than a scythe?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

War Bunny posted:

I did a search and didn't find anything in the forums, so I thought I'd just plop this here. Are there any Dodge goons here? If there's not enough Dodge goons to have a thread, does anyone know respectable Dodge or SRT forums? I know I can just google for "Dodge forums," but it's not like AI is coming up googling for car stuff.
I know there's at least one other Dodge goon (Mighty Horse), and I'd love to talk old turbo Dodge and newerish SRT4/Abarth so go right ahead and see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

(Also, no-one at work understands why I find it hilarious that one of our high-end execs is called Dick Jones.)
Holy poo poo, you have one too?