Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ford Volvo pricing is ridiculous, though. Sort of similar to how Saab's prices went to the stratosphere as soon as GM decided they were a "luxury" brand. Their Canadian pricing is screwed up as well; the C30 starts at $27,695 and goes to $40,695 for the T5R package.

I'm kind of surprised that they marketed the C30 as a college-kid car. What loving college kid has $27,000 to blow on a car? I think I've seen like two people driving them, both mid-30s yuppie-looking people. I suppose it could be aimed at the kids whose rich parents will buy them whatever car they want but the mom wants them to get a Volvo "because it's safe". I knew a girl like that who first got a new convertible Corvette (C5), then decided "it doesn't feel safe" so got an H2 instead, then decided "it's too big" and last I heard was trying to get a Smart car imported from Canada (before they were legal in the states). All yellow, all new, all within a year or so. Sigh.

Frankly, I just wish they'd bring back the P1800ES exactly as it was, maybe with upgraded suspension and brakes. Mmmmmmmmm

orange lime fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

frozenphil posted:

Have you thought, "You know, an Elise would be a lot cooler if it had 1000hp"? Well, the Hennessey boys agree with you.

http://www.hennesseyperformancestore.com/venomgt.html

That's pretty damned awesome, but I bet Colin Chapman is spinning in his grave. Also, lol@ trying to drive a 1200 horsepower car with only 1200 pounds on the driven axle.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

kimbo305 posted:

e: this sort of logic is also infuriating and sad:
"In real-world driving, lift-off oversteer could occur when a driver enters a highway’s exit ramp or drives through a sweeping turn and encounters an unexpected obstacle or suddenly finds that the turn is too tight for the vehicle’s speed. A natural impulse is to quickly lift off the accelerator pedal. If that were to happen in the GX, the rear could slide around far enough that a wheel could strike a curb or slide off the pavement."

Consumer reports is excellent if you are a middle-aged person with kids who wants nothing more and nothing less than the absolute least eventful driving appliance you can buy.

I remember they rated the Elise terrible in suspension quality, and they knocked marks off the Insight for having limited interior space. Their system just literally does not accommodate cars that aren't Toyota Camry or equivalent. I wouldn't be surprised to see them knocking down the rating on something like a Rolls-Royce because it didn't come with child seat anchors.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Throatwarbler posted:

:gonk:

You didn't think they'd actually keep the oxcart suspension, did you?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mr. Apollo posted:

Mercedes introduced a CLS station wagon concept at the Beijing Motor show.

If it goes into production I imagine it'll probably replace the R-Class.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/23/beijing-2010-mercedes-benz-cls-shooting-break-concept-is-the-fo/

That looks great everywhere behind the headlights. In front of them it's a total clusterfuck.