Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garth Fader posted:

So has anyone heard anything good about Land Rover (and Range Rovers specifically) in terms of reliability?

I really love the loving things, but i can't justify spending that kind of money on something that's gonna be in and out of the shop regularly. Somehow i'm hoping the recent sale of the company will do something to improve reliability, but it might just be a pipe dream.
We tried using a Discovery for field research. The door locks have emergency secondary locks that prevent the doors from being unlocked FROM THE INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE. Also you can't start it if the security system malfunctions, we had problems with that as well. If you want reliability, get a Hilux. If you're in the US, the Tacoma is a weaker version, both very reliable though.

If I haven't convinced you, I almost got killed when the U-Joint went out. Seriously, steer clear of Land Rover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InitialDave posted:

You mean child locks? Or deadlocks?
No, they're not child safety locks. The doors have 2 separate lock motors that engage when the car is locked with the remote. One motor locks the door, the other disengages the unlock mechanism from the primary lock. This means the door must be unlocked electronically---and so when the second lock gets a little dusty, you're hosed. One by one the doors stopped working, starting with the rear, then the drivers side (climb in from the passenger side! fun!) then the right rear passenger door. The doors had to be taken apart to work again, and have the locks replaced. Wanna know how much Land Rover charges for that?