Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The burnout is incredible: http://jalopnik.com/5531592/ferrari-599-gto-enters-tunnel-of-love

If only I could afford a 599 GTO.

I'm not going to lie, I came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

el topo posted:

Given that he could have created a Genesis premium brand and decided not to do so, I would disagree... calling the Equus a Hyundai just creates a brand image problem that could have been done away with very easily.

I really doubt creating a separate brand would really help Hyundai. I think these days if they did, pretty much everyone's going to know that they're just Hyundai's with a different badge. But if the Equus is a success, it could help continue moving the Hyundai brand away from being cheap, nasty shitboxes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Left Ventricle posted:

Isn't that because they're rebadging Volkswagens these days?

Not rebadging, more VW parts bin specials (that are often as well, if not higher rated than their VW counterparts). But the point is, the Skoda brand was rubbish as they just used to make horrid, cheap and nasty crapboxes. But by just making good cars sold at really good prices compared to their competitors they've shed that image.

Much like Hyundai.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

awesome-express posted:

The huge hood and tiny trunk really resemble the Viper's design.

Yeah, totally stolen from the Viper.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's a loving Honda Panamera.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A 990kg, V10, all-carbon Lamborghini is pretty AI right?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linedance posted:

Ferrari Z06

Needs T-Tops.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It just somehow looks off to me. The current one looks hideous but at least seems relatively coherent to me.

Probably because the front bumper (and possibly the rear as well) has another stuck over the top as camouflage.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

japtor posted:

About that wacky Lambo concept, http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/04/driving-force-lamborghini-and-callaway-golf-collaborate-on-new/

And closeup pic of the seat: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lamborghini-sesto-elemento-concept-in-detail/#3418943

So is this like fiberglass but with carbon fibers? (or perhaps "carbon fiberglass" if you like Wheel of Fortune)

That should make it cheaper to make more of the car from composites, since it sounds like they'll be able to automate more of the process, rather than having to hand lay everything.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hog Obituary posted:

Well they also said it was gonna have a V12 and then it didn't.

And launched it just as the global economy went south.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would buy either of the Mazda2 concepts they threw out there in a loving heartbeat, especially if they throw a bit more power underhood. The stock 2 is a riot (but a bit of a slug on the freeway) with 100hp, something with 140hp-200hp would be perfect.

Since the old Fiesta ST is no more why they haven't shoe-horned a 2-litre in the front of the 2 is a mystery to me.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IOwnCalculus posted:

No kidding. The lunatic in me would love the 2.3 turbo MZR from the MS3, but I know that's all but certainly a pipe dream. I suspect even the base 2.0 MZR from practically every other non-RX8 in the lineup would be a goddamn riot in a hypothetical MS2.

If they got a 200hp 2 litre in it, why would you buy a Clio Sport?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
340hp, 2.5L I5 RS3 Sportback. Oh my yes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just because Car A > Car B, Car B =! poo poo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes please.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has the SLS Roadster been properly unveiled yet? Because it was in the M-B Superbowl Ad.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Muffinpox posted:

Whoever perfects an injection moldable carbon fiber will literally be making GBS threads money from how many business will be cramming money down their throat.

It's not that far off. Toyota has that big loom they use to make LF-A's, McLaren can churn out whole tubs for the MP4-12C in 4hrs and Lambo/Calloway developed that injection-mouldable Forged Composite stuff to make that <1000kg Gallardo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In more ute news, time for some more Holden blue-balling America!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

You'd be pushing it to carry the weight of a motorcycle on the bed of one of them - they're bogan sports coupes and aren't really designed with hauling stuff in mind.

You can easily carry a bike in the tray of a Holden ute, they'll take just over 600kg in the tray.

e; f, b

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New M5 "Concept" leaks after a private dealer viewing

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DropShadow posted:

I dig it. And supposedly an R version is also in the works and confirmed for the U.S.

(this is not the R version, obviously)

That I like.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A 210hp Corsa with an LSD? Yes please.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/22/opel-channels-the-nurburgring-for-its-hottest-ever-corsa/

Why Holden persists in bringing in lovely Korean hatches instead of the Corsa is a mystery to me.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the new one just a MKVI in a Beetle suit?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Won't the Miller cycle-ing reduce the stress of the 14.0:1 compression?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Someone drew that on paper, made a clay model then built an actual car, stood back and went "Yep, good."

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holden could definitely find a use for a small-displacement V8.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

For what? Is there a small lightweight RWD Holden in the pipe? Because that's really the only kind of car this hting would be suitable for.

With the turbos it'll be a competitor for the XR6 Turbo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
First spy-shots of the 2012 C63 AMG Black coupe. Bit less weight, bit more power (around the ~520hp mark) and wider track.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Or, more realistically, it'll just be a regular old manual box with another gear in it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I always called it the Toyobaru :v:

Speaking of which...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dedicated WRX coupe you say? Hmmm....

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not a car, but an engine: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/05/meet-audis-new-engine-the-1-8-tfsi/ That should be help deal with the big issue plaguing DI engines (carbon desposits).

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linedance posted:

looks like something you'd find on a motorbike.

Yup.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Lower rpms turning lower gear ratios (since the torque can be multiplied less) means less fuel consumed, right?

Bingo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The 458 Spyder has leaked early before the it's official unveiling at Frankfurt.

No details other than it's reportedly a packing a folding hardtop. I like it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And in further drop-top V8 news, the new SLK55 AMG has been released. As expected, it's packing the new 5.5 V8 sans turbos, packing 415hp.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Motoiq has a good writeup on Mazda's magic-powered Skyactiv-G motor.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So it turns out the 991 is pretty fast. 997 GT3 fast.

quote:

The Porsche 911 is dead, long live the Porsche 911. The German automaker's latest and greatest has taken to the Nürburgring where old marks have fallen hard. The 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S was sent through the Green Hell, where it promptly beat the time achieved by the prior 997 version by a whopping 13 seconds.

With a time of 7:40, the 2012 911 matches the mark set by the previous 911 GT3. If you happen to own a previous generation 911 GT3, we'll pause here for a moment while you go out to smash something with a hammer.

Back? Great. You shouldn't fret too much, because this just means the next-generation GT3 should be a land rocket capable of blistering the surface of the 'Ring. GT2 guys, your numbers are still safe... for now.

The 991 Turbo and GTx models are going to be stupid fast.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

IIRC some version of the Honda Accord had a similar system except the stereo put out sound waves designed to cancel out cabin noise, like in a noise cancelling headset, to make the cabin quieter.

I don't know why they wouldn't make the exhaust nice and loud on the M5, then implement a system like this that's switchable by the driver.

Bat Legs posted:

I wonder if it's just cheaper than doing something like Maserati system where you hit a "sport" button and it opens a port in the exhaust system that amplifies the engine noise.

The best use of those is Aprilia's on the RSV4 superbike. The valve is only closed in neutral so it can pass the noise test for emissions approval, then the moment you select first it opens right up.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mustang GT500 is getting a 5.8L engine, still supercharged.

quote:

Fans of large displacement and forced induction (isn't that everyone?) can officially rejoice today as the recently approved deal between Ford and the United Auto Workers has answered a question that's been on our minds ever since Chevrolet upped the horsepower ante with its Camaro ZL1. Yes, folks, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will be blessed with a 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine.

While conventional wisdom has always been that the easiest way to increase horsepower and torque was to bore-and-stroke your way to more displacement, an interesting series of spy shots showing one conspicuously oversize intercooler led some to believe Ford was ditching the supercharger in favor of twin turbos. Not so, apparently. Ford's latest contract with the UAW reveals that its Romeo Engine Assembly Plant will receive a $50 million investment to build the 5.8L supercharged mill.

Naturally, contract talk doesn't include a whiff on horsepower or torque, but you can bet Ford is planning on eking out more than the 580 horses that Chevy has corralled from the 2012 Camaro ZL1. Something around 600 seems like a safe bet, but we'll just have to wait for an official announcement from Ford. In the meantime, sweet supercharged dreams.