Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mod sassinator posted:

If there were some crazy alternate reality where NASCAR used cars that were closer to production vehicles and raced on real tracks with left and right turns it would look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdHJRG0jsA

Closer, yes. In any way not a silhouette racer, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

There's a shitload of Mazda CX-7/9 in that design.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cat Terrist posted:

Doesnt handle, poor build quality, ride is hosed up, pathetic performance, well behind in crash safety, good only for idiots that dont have any clue that up the road there is vastly superior cars that do exactly what you quoted as requirements for the same dosh.

Ford even built a godawful load better one called the Territory, which was good in everyway that the Escape isnt. And that's really what is hosed up, the Territory IS good, the old Escape is a terrible piece of crap, all Ford had to do was RHD the Territory and you would have had something actually worth driving on a road. But no, they released one of the worst vehicles in the last decade.

While that is a good point (and I know of a few people with Escape/Tributes who have had no end of trouble with them), it's not possible to LHD the current Falcon/Territory platform.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Veloster Turbo has broken embargo, figures are 201hp and 195 lb-ft with weight at 2800lbs.

Not too sure about that bodykit, but I've never seen a Veloster in the metal so can't really comment.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Obviously someone's gotten mixed up with dry and curb weights at some point.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

Could be a thing they use in car shows to keep the cars powered?

Most likely. Having a cable coming out of the bonnet wouldn't be a good look.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

eames posted:

No one cares about the new 2013 Boxster / Boxster S? It actually looks like a car now!
A lot of 918 RSR with a hint of Ferrari and overall a big step forward in my opinion. A ~400hp "Cayman Turbo" in the future would be very, very interesting IMO.
I also like the wink with the license plate number in combination with the interior/exterior color scheme. ;)

Boxster S: 3,5L NA 315 hp flat six, 7-Gear PDK, optional PTV, PASM and all that 911 jazz.

That is a loving good looking car.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
CTS is a bit smaller I think, and I imagine would be more expensive. That HSV is just the equivalent of a tarted-up G8.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

HSVs are still enormously expensive - the R8 tourer starts at $68,600 AUD

An imported CTS-V coupe is pushing $250k IIRC so it's all relative.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cat Terrist posted:

It's also a very good car and enormously fast. Probably worth every cent.

Hell, you could even just go for an SS Sportwagon and still stomp anything short of a unicorn AMG/M/RS wagon, and put the saving from the HSV towards a blower.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream_Filling posted:

extra: I found this photoshop while google image searching for a suitable caprice wagon pic:

loving :awesome:

Holy poo poo it's a Challenger wagon.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A5H posted:

Apparently this is the new california.
That rear end is gross as heck.

I too judge a car's appearance by photos of it heavily camouflaged. And it's the 599 replacement, not new California.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The new Peugeot 208 GTi concept is a pretty sharp looking little thing. Much better than the shite they've been pushing out lately.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That Bentley may be a bit on the fugly-side (but it could be waaaaaaaay way way worse), the interior is just magnificent.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream_Filling posted:

Those picnic cabinet things are probably just there for the concept (though I'm sure they would be happy to sell some to you, too). That interior doesn't look that amazing to me. I'm sure it's well made and expensive as poo poo, but it's not really that special in any way.

Bentley's (and Rolls as well) generally don't look that special but gently caress me dead they are stupendously nice places to be.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seat Safety Switch posted:

After looking at a few more pictures, it looks a lot better, like a Panda.

That's because it is.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SouthLAnd posted:

You know, I dismissed the new Chevrolet Impala at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

The rear 3/4 view makes me think of a... Chevrolet Audi?

All I see there is some GM designer who has a boner for the XF.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Left Ventricle posted:

I don't see this as being a bad thing. First thing I said when I saw the pictures was that it looks like an overgrown Cruze.

Not at all, the XF is a drat fine looking automobile.

And to the people compaining about the lack of "design language" and "not being able to tell it's a Chevy", pretty sure the Impala and that SUV (Traverse was it?) are supposed to be the first models with the new corporate face/styling, that's why it looks different to the existing lineup.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

It can be set to "fully off". It's there because launch control.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/viper/2012-dodge-viper.html

I wonder if that 100k mile interval for spark plug changes is because it's going to be an engine out job to do it?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought the V10 was OHV?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

It is. How do you think they're running it off a single cam?
e: "Pushrods are 10 percent stiffer with wall thickness increased from .06 inch to .08 inch." :911:

Yeah, I could've sworn I read that. It's not the brace that I was referring to making the plug changes impossible, it was the fact that the engine seems to be hard up against chassis rail/inner-wheel well.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

GM says they, for one, are going to keep making wagons.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/04/cadillac-wagon-here-to-stay/

It's sort of like we all pitched in and kept the Soviet Union going just so they could keep making Mig-25s. :unsmith:

I saw a black -V wagon a while back, looked and sounded like the best thing ever.

Motor Trend did a video comparing the CTS-V and E63 wagons, and in it they mentioned that the CTS wagon has lasted because they needed a seriously small number of sales to make a busniess case for it (IIRC it was something stupid like <50)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Franco Caution posted:

Please oh please let this actually happen.
I missed out on the chance of owning a G8 GXP with a stick.
Id pick up one of these in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a manual box, Holden don't make the LWB car with one.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Keyser S0ze posted:

This is going to sound weird but why the gently caress not at this point just make a 4 door Camaro and drop the hunchback rear so you can actually see out the back of the thing and stretch it out out bit? It's not like anybody actually gives a poo poo anymore about the integrity of the marquee/brand and Camaro's 1960's mullettude. Offer coupe/sedan versions with multiple engines, sport configurations and transmission options.

Do you mean copy the Camaro styling for a sedan? Or use the Camaro chassis for it? Because if you mean the latter....:ssh:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gm_zeta

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr.Radar posted:

For lazy Americans, the new engine's specs are 243 hp, 260 ft-lbs, and 29 MPG and the old engine's specs are 265 hp, 288 ft-lbs, and 23.5 MPG.

Carting just shy of 4000lbs.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

Are fleets still buying the Falcon in Australia? Over in NZ they've been almost entirely replaced with the Focus and Mondeo (or Mazda 3 and 6) or possibly diesel Hyundais and Volkswagens.

Yeah, but Hyundai seems to be making in-roads into the fleet market. Ford and Holden still offer massive fleet discounts, my dad is due a new car on lease soon and is considering a Passat, but is still considering staying with Holden and getting an SS-V because the fleet discount means he can get a fully-loaded one whereas with the Passat he'd have to decide which engine and interior options he wants.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

JAC motors. I forget what this thing was called, felt like an old Hyundai, had a 4AT I think.

Looks like an old Hyundai Grandeur: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Grandeur#Fourth_generation_.282006-2011.29

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Naky posted:

Yep.

Honestly, were I someone willing to buy a new car? Buy the turbo veloster you want in a different color and then ask the dealership to find a shop in town that does professional vinyl wrapping on vehicles and get the car wrapped. It'll cost you an extra couple grand on top of the price of the vehicle, but you will not hate your life trying to maintain it down the road and when the fad wears off or it comes time to sell it and the prospective buyer doesn't like it cuz it's all chipped up or whatever, then peel the poo poo off. Boom.

Is vinyl wrapping really that expensive? I know that's still cheaper than a good quality re-spray, but I'd have thought its' popularity would have pushed prices down to the $1k-ish mark to wrap an average size/shape car.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I.....dont hate this: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/17/mansory-channels-enzo-styling-in-ferrari-458-spider-monaco-editi/ For a Mansory car, it's surprisingly restrained.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Powershift posted:

What exactly would it taken them to put on the car for you to consider it tasteless?

It's Mansory, it starts here: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&q=mansory+panamera&gbv=2&biw=1440&bih=732&sei=wZ21T9_iO6m1iQe-24zcCA and gets worse.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Deedle posted:

Why can't all cars be beautiful like this?

Because they can't all be based on tube-framed silhouette racecars.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't find the current Corolla hatch/Auris a bad looking car?

It's in no way an ugly car, Corollas never have been. It is however, styling-wise, just 5 metres of car.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fucknag posted:

Could they do a longitudinal FWD setup, leaving RWD as an option for performance models?

No, it'll be a re-bodied version of the new Mini that's coming out in the next year or two, and not as a replacement for the RWD 1-series.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

obeyasia posted:

I just want a turbo AWD roadster with a 6 speed that could be a Subaru idc, is that so much to ask?

EDIT: Don't you dare say Audi TT.

Get cracking.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Because if there was ever a company that was going to take $400k deposits on a vaporware car to rip off/piss off their customers, it's Porsche.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 15, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hedge posted:

The MINI Paceman is pointless, but at least it looks nice.

It's basically a less practical version of the Countryman, a car which was made because the regular hardtop MINI isn't practical enough. Reports so far are that it drives better than a Countryman, so there will inevitablely be a John Cooper Works AWD variant.

Not gonna lie, I quite like that. Would definitely rock an All4 JCW model.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream_Filling posted:

You will not see a car like the classic Hilux for sale in the US anymore because people aren't willing to pay more for less on the promise that it will last longer. And also possibly because modern efficiency and performance is dependent on higher tolerances that are generally less robust and less tolerant of abuse.

This is the crux of the discussion here. The only difference between these old MBs, Hiluxs and 911s you're getting all misty eyed about is they'll tolerate more abuse. Given a modicum of care, any modern car will last just as long. It's just that if owners can't even be hosed to take it to the dealer once a year for a $100 service they'll die an early death. To me that isn't indicative of lesser engineering, it's indicative of different engineering focus.

And let's be honest here, if these magical indestructable cars had anywhere near the levels of performance of even a modern commuter car they'd have all fallen to bits too. That's what these tight tolerances and modern metallurgy allow.

e: Also, how many of these amazing million-mile W123s et al are there really? Because come on, for every one of those there's probably 10 that were scrapped at 200k mi.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
$600/yr servicing for a high-performance car doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Honestly I'd surprised if we ever get Corvettes being being officially imported. GM would have had to engineer them for RHD (and by the sounds of where they've positioned a bunch of the accessories on the LT1 they haven't) but I just can't see a market for it here. It'll be too expensive.