Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So why is the Golf/Jetta counted separately, while the different body styles of other cars are presumably grouped together? Adding the two VWs would bump it just in front of the Elantra. No that that matters at all, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We all are, at least a little, Jeremy Clarkson.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Still it's a bit weird not to offered a luxury coupe with a V8, it seems like something people might want when dropping serious cash on a car, especially when that's so easy to get in a pony car. Like, if I were shelling out for a CLK or something, V8 would be non-negotiable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dreesemonkey posted:

Pretty sure I read in the thread somewhere that Mazda isn't applying it's current design language to the ND for whatever reason, which is really unfortunate if you ask me

What? poo poo, that really blows as the current design applied to Miata proportions would result in one sexy muscular sportscar look that it always deserved. It might even have some power to back it up this time, especially if they could tune the SkyActive engines for more top-end power...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that Mitsubishi builds cars only to satisfy the mothership's desire to have a foothold in every major heavy industry. Mitsubishi Motors is a teeny, tiny drop in the gigantic bucket of the ~$250 billion/year Mitsubishi business empire.

That doesn't excuse them from phoning it in though.

Yeah my theory that I'm sticking to is that it's some sort of crazy money laundering/tax thing, like Uwe Boll but bigger and worse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No but you see, coupé refers to the body shape, not the number of doors :spergin:

Ugh, I guess if having a billion models doesn't cost much and gives people choice than they can knock themselves out. But it seems like we're getting to the point where the brand would start to get diluted. So you have a BMW now? A 2-series? Is that the badass coupe or a lovely FWD van?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ahaha there's an actual ISO standard defining this :) Anyway that's certainly not my opinion, but it is what's constantly parroted by the apologists whenever another bastardized abomination to fill in some imaginary niche is introduced.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Saw an i3 in person a couple of days ago. As goofy as it is, I do like that it goes all the way with the materials and justs screams "I'm a future car, gently caress you!" instead of being ugly/bland that most EVs or hybrids tend to be.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
One benefit for our American friends is that the manual transmission apparently works as an anti-theft device, because the dumbass thieves can't figure out how they work, and either skip the car entirely or abandon it after stalling it at the first intersection.

The Hellcat's been getting quite a bit of attention here (for good reason), and Autoblog has a first drive up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You guys loved the GLA, right? Because you'll really like this as well:

Say hello to the Q3, yours for about 32k!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Keep in mind that they had to do this because the drive units keep making GBS threads themselves at alarming rates and people would start to freak out sooner or later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing about it that makes me want it more than an SLS. The new design is kind of generic and the stupid tablet thing ruins the interior.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, so this is the target market for wheel/tire rental!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

Legally and feasibly, those stripped down gas guzzlers can no longer be sold. We've regulated and reviewed them out of existence.

*Says this directly below a post about the 700hp Challenger :downs:*

I agree that there'll be most likely little demand for light, high strung cars when everyone is obsessed with turbos. Personally my issue with cars like the Miata or the BRZ isn't that they're N/A, it's just that there isn't that much power even at the top end. No such problem with the E92 M3, for example :getin:.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here that'd buy you... half of an Citigo/UP! :thumbsup:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cream_Filling posted:

You could put them in the door sill/underbody itself but that sounds like its just begging for corrosion and electrical problems. Side mirrors are already wired for power mirrors anyway.

Inside of the door. Works perfectly when getting out but

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Usually they illuminate when you unlock the car with the remote.
not so much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Throatwarbler posted:

This seems to be the appropriate thread. A tech shows you the myriad of ways you can do things like open the door and pop the hood on the i8 without breaking the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTNKiTrX0Vk

I like the part about how the emergency manual door release lever was the most common thing to be broken during testing. Well this thing sure seems to be breaking a lot during our testing, so you better learn to not do that!

The "Terrible car poo poo" thread is over that way :v:

I'm not really against gadgets and electronics but what's the point of having an electronic button you're going to have a mechanical one anyway as a backup? This isn't the space shuttle, so why have the redundancy that only increases weight and complexity?

Also loved that you need to wait a minute for the fuel door to pop open!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

They sound pissed off to be selling BMWs

The cars are selling themselves!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's supposed to be a production car? Who do they think they're fooling? Production cars don't break if you try to open the hood without two specially trained technicians. "There's no reason they would ever need to open the hood outside the shop." That sounds like BMW's 20 year design goal, no user serviceable parts.

Weren't there some white fluid tanks in there? Do you have to take the car to the dealer to refill washer fluid?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I don't get the "grossly inflated prices" bit. Cars in America are amazingly, stunningly cheap. When I look at car reviews and they list the price in dollars, I can't help but be insanely jealous.
3 Series BMW: US - $32,750. UK - $38,258.

At least you have similar purchasing power in the UK. The base F30 here is... $39,350. That's three average annual incomes, and the next cheapest one after the stripper 316i is 320i at just $15k more :laugh:. Obviously things could be even worse, so I'm not complaining too much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So has everyone slept through the Paris motor show? While I think the MX-5 was supposed to have the specs released (beyond the 1.5/2l engines), there are a couple of awesome cars out already, I almost blue myself:

Lambo Asterion LPI 910-4

I really like the design here, in particular the rear. It's a hybrid that they claim is a one-off prototype, but given the recent successes from McLaren and Porsche, I think it's pretty likely that this will get made soon enough.

VW XL Sport

So they took the 1L and stuck a 200hp Ducati engine, IMO that's what they should've started with in the first place :black101:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

angryhampster posted:

Automotive Insanity: This stroller cost more than your $600 exhaust

This stroller cost more than your car :gonk:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

See, a RWD 2.3EB Focus would do it for me. Front biased AWD just doesn't.

Maybe they'll just put a Focus shell on a Sierra chassis again :getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just noticed the ST badges too. When's the RS supposed to be revealed?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I went on the internet and found this:

The fwd 7-seater 2-series GT, because why the gently caress not :barf:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Friend of mine was rear-ended in a RAV/4 so hard the car flipped; she was stopped at the time. Not all rollovers are the driver's fault.

Well there's your problem right there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SouthLAnd posted:

Whoa. That is superb.

No, this is superb:

Kerrow posted:

Good news everyone!

My annual "Skoda released a new car you can't even buy in NA" post!

It's the new Superb! (Basically Skoda's take on the Passat)

Images grabbed from a app here here http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/

Compared to the current generation, its hell of an improvement. can't wait for the wagon version later this year.

e: vvvvv This one is even bigger :v:

:rimshot:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is insane, like seriously some next level poo poo.

I should be in Geneva this Friday/Saturday if everything goes right - will try to get my rear end into as many of these as they let me :getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The E92 and E60 are way better looking than their current F-letter replacements :colbert:

Edit: The F is for "loving ugly"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of I8s, saw this at a small local motor show:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How much money do I "contribute to your campaign" to stay NA only?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Does the C-Max have some kind of property in its driving dynamics that make literally every one I have seen drive like a complete and total knob? It's getting to the point where I no longer wonder what the white Ford tailgating me is.

Isn't it sold as a hybrid only in the US? There's your answer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guinness posted:

Bangle-era BMW shook up automotive styling, and while the first iterations definitely weren't the best, you're crazy if you don't like the looks of some of the newest BMWs. They look much more traditional BMW in that understated-but-aggressive kind of way, but they also look like modern cars.

It's best if we just forget the E60, E65, and pre-LCI E90s.

The E60 is great, :frogout:

However, the Bangle butt on the others is horrendous, no argument there.

What I don't like about the current line up is that everything looks extremely fat. In particular the hood is very tall with the front-end cut off abruptly, and the hood line gap is super ugly. Just look at this loving thing.

And let's not get started on the 2 series, I've seen a couple IRL already :barf:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And order a sausage pizza.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh sorry I saw he said "miata" and jumped the gun :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just get the correct, N/A M3. Problem solved.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Considering 4 is the Audi A3, how does it feel to be so wrong?

I don't know, why don't you tell us?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So if anyone ever wondered why BMW wants to make a bajilion different ugly SUVs and other stupid poo poo, well, here's why:

Adding a new model to the lineup doesn't necessarily cannibalize anything if there's some differentiation left, and gets a shitload of sales from people who really want a more expensive Q5/Touareg/etc and would otherwise settle for one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Miata
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/01/2016-mazda-mx5-miata-first-drive-review/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have conflicting feelings about the look, I'll need to see it in person.

The trim levels kind of suck though - you either get the LSD and sport suspension, or leather seats, climate control and navigation. So you get the big screen sticking out the middle of the dash without navigation. Wouldn't mind this if it supported Android Car or whatever but that's quite annoying.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Put 500hp V8s in everything please.

Bovril Delight posted:

Ecoboost 3.5 in the hatch, RWD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DoLittle posted:

510 hp, 3.9 secs to 100 km/h

:eyepop:

Whoa, an Alfa whose looks aren't its strongest suit? I don't even know how I feel about that :confused:

Edit: can't quite make out the new badge, but what's up with the iron cross just below the A pillar

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 24, 2015