Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrownieVK posted:

How the gently caress does everyone have so much money lol

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But yes, generally people afford new cars by financing them for a very long time and never paying them off.

When I bought my car 3 years ago, I made the choice to buy a new $22,000 car rather than take that 22K and be a down payment on something much nicer. I think many people would make the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes, the Aygo X looks pretty good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cT_qwoMMl0

it doesnt really

E: apparently they're not goign to sell it at all in the EU or UK? :laffo:

I thought it was also going to be the 1008 and new C1?

In small car news, I heard that the Honda e is actually getting released in Taiwan. With some caveats:

1. Not through Honda dealerships, just from a specialty importer that usually does Ferraris and Camaros and such.
2. They said they hoped to sell 12 in the country. Not 1,200. Not 120. 12.
3. The starting price is 2 million NT (about 70K USD), which is as much as th Model 3 long range sells here.

if I won the lottery I would buy it in a heartbeat. Or use the money saved for the downpayment for buying a house...I would still have enough left over to pay for my inevitable divorce attorney because of this action

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Having just a scooter to get around was very nice when I was paying a dollar a week for gas.

Cons were doing this in the subtropics and getting rained on all the loving time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Fiat New 500 EV is supposed to be very nice, actually. Besides the name being "Fiat New 500."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

In Taiwan over the past 5 years, Skodas have become pretty popular because they are the cheapest European brand around. Anything European is considered "classier" than the locally made brands.

There is a huge price difference here between the stuff that is made with a license domestically (Corolla Cross, Kicks, Focus, HR-V) and imported. Skodas are cheaper than any other European model, and just close enough in price at their base to be worth it. I still think BMWs outsell them because if you really have the money, you get them. You get a Skoda if you want to feel like you have the money.

For example, subcompact sales, domestically made on top, imported on bottom:

And SUVs:

The Corolla Cross sold twice as much as any other car last year, and will again this year. If your country doesn't sell it yet, don't worry. It is coming. It looks like every generic SUV you see in a videogame.

Tesla (which is 95% of all electric cars sold here), BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Land Rover, Audi, Porsche, Mini(?), Volvo(??) and Ssangyong(???) are included in other charts.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mobby_6kl posted:

Skoda as a fancy premium brand :lmao:

I've been to Taiwan a few years ago, don't remember seeing anything Skoda. I feel like all of these cars are outsold by the loving scooters like 100:1 anyway

Yeah having a car instead of just a scooter is already a signifier of something.

and now I guess to post the Skoda dance: https://youtu.be/PFZzmNojdoE

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Koirhor posted:

I loving love my Fit, best Honda

I'm trying to convince my brother in-law to buy a new Fit but I think he wants to try and buy a used BMW instead because he wants something "impressive."

The new Fit hybrid is not as good looking as the previous model but still is very nice.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Russian Bear posted:

Disagree, the new hybrid Fit looks stellar imo. Like a cute little space ship.

It has an impressive underbite.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Honda Fit is Kobe Bryant making that dumb Black Mamba face

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SlowBloke posted:

Toyota has made a crossover variant of pretty much everything in their lineup, Aygo included

Was this still supposed to be shared with Peugeot/Citroën city cars that are supposed to be in development?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The rear door/rear quarter area of the previous models is the ugliest mot ungainly part of the previous models, what they've done here is a 1000% improvement to me.

Looks alot more like the Prius C to me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FBS posted:

I would like to state for the record that "E-Ray" is a very stupid name

Because I wasn't clicking on the link I thought this was about the new Kia Ray EV model.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

smooth jazz posted:

TIL the Mazda CX-90 has a ginormous gasflap.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hadlock posted:

I would imagine modern crash standards and power everything all the time pushed cars into the 3000# category permanently. There's no regulatory or market head room for 1800# highway legal go karts any more

My '94 neon had the thinnest carpet and no sound deadening, if you removed the spare tire and had less than half a tank of gas it clocked in just under 2000# I can't imagine many cars after that point were built to that low standard. Probably the Mitsubishi mirage

May I suggest the best selling car in India the Suzuki Swift, you can get one from Mexico

Or Baleno if you're middle aged

faux edit: apparently the latin-am swift and baleno got 0 stars for crash safety (euro versions got 4) so get a Japanese one

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When I bought my first new car in 2019 I thought "I think I'll have this car for 10 years." And now I think I will ride it until the wheels fall off. Which hopefully won't be in 2029. Things are expensive.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Sometimes I forget Chrysler still exists.

Rebadge the 208 for the US and they'll sell thousandsdozens to me

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Steve French posted:

Ok but you can take hats off and they’re usually soft.

As someone who drove a one way rental mustang convertible from NJ to key west, once, and lives in a high altitude sunny place, my professional opinion is that you sound like a weenie

I will give you the advice the random juggler gave my redheaded sister when she wore a tube top to a renaissance faire: enjoy your melanoma miss

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

harperdc posted:

Literally everyone. Pakistan seems to be another place those older models go to, along with Africa.

Yeah, major developing markets would keep getting tweaked versions of the old models. Sometimes it is from sanctions, not just being cheap: apartheid South Africa was making the original Golf for another decade...and then kept making versions of that until 2009.

And then they realized they could still do it in Western Europe so you got Dacia.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

For 5 years I only had my scooter for my commute to work. 5 years ago I got a car and I used it any time it even hinted of rain. And in Taiwan, that is alot. Because it turns out getting rained on sucks and I was tried of doing it for almost a decade if you include my old job. Now I drive my car every day because I need to take my kid to daycare every day, but soon I'll move so I can walk to daycare and work and I'll be very happy (I hope)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

that's a lot for a wave

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I like it except those ridges above the glove box, which I assume are to make it go faster

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Honestly I absolutely love this car (maybe because it reminds me of the Honda e which I also loved.) The world needs more small cars, if this is supposed to be shared with Nissan/Mitsubishi then maybe this model can actually be sold around the world.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SlowBloke posted:

It's barely smaller than my Jeep Avenger or a Peugeot 208. It just looks compact by virtue of not having an incredibly high roof.

I know small, I drive a Suzuki Ignis (and enjoy it). It just feels so rare to see something I feel is great coming out less than 4 meters long. And a 10 centimeter difference can mean alot when parking and maneuvering through city streets.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

dissss posted:

Anyway Honda needs to do an electric version of the Jazz/Fit - it's about the same size externally as a 208 or Corsa but it has an actual usable interior.

Agreed, the hybrid is a good seller here.

SlowBloke posted:

I'm curious about the future of Suzuki on small cars, since they haven't shown any EV prototype smaller than a Celerio, a Swift or a Jimny.

Pivoting entirely to developing markets even more than they already have?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Saukkis posted:

Honda hates selling any cars. I just read an article about the collapse of Honda's market share in Europe. Last year they sold 66 000 cars here, even Porsche sold a third more. In Finland they topped at 6700 cars in 2007, last year they sold 201.

Are doing a pivot to developing markets or they don't want to hit EU emission/safety standards like Suzuki?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

KakerMix posted:

That's what I thought as well. Not a bad thing by any means, Alphard's loving rule.

you dream about getting a Alphard or the Lexus version if you're getting picked up to go to the airport.

And then you get stuck in a lovely ford

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

can we all agree "build your dreams" is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah the 5 has that hatchback look but then someone set it to 130% size.