Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The FWD drive BMW is going to have a 1.5L 3 cylinder motor, that seems awfully weird. How are they going to deal with the generally undesirable NVH qualities you get with a 3 cylinder motor? Sounds like it's going to be a tiny, possibly European only car anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Linedance posted:

just for perspective, here's a typical two-way suburban street in west London at Google-Car o'clock when it isn't particularly busy.

There are wider, and quieter streets around if you look for them, but your resident permit probably wouldn't let you park there anyway.

Jesus gently caress that makes me claustrophobic just looking at it :stare:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

I've never quite understood why anyone would buy a Honda Accord coupe. The sedan, I get it: you need decent reliable transportation with more room than a compact car. But why the coupe? It doesn't even look that much better and it's cutting into the half the point of an Accord - it's bigger than a Civic or competing midsize sedans. If I wanted a cheap giant boat of a coupe, I'd buy a Dodge Challenger or a pony car, which actually look cool and have more power.

Is it like an insurance and ownership cost thing?

Old people who don't need 4 doors on a car anymore because they aren't carting around their kids.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Welcome to capitalism? The goal isn't to make a great product, the goal is to make money. Making a great product is just one way to make make money, but you can't make it too great because then you wind up competing with yourself. Look at HP with their printers. The LaserJet 4 has a Volvo 240-esque reputation for reliability, but their later printers have a reputation for being temperamental pieces of poo poo. nVidia is competing with their 8800/9800/280 GTXs 4 years later (an eternity in computers!) in the midrange. It's not just the physical specs of the products either. You're competing with the reputation of the product, the memory consumers have of those products, because while a good product gives you a good reputation amongst consumers it also sets the bar higher for what you make in the future. Hell, the same idea exists in the labor market. Don't be too good, don't set expectations too high for your bosses, the consumers of your labor because you will be expected to do that all the time and that might not even be possible. True excellence is fleeting and the profit motive only ensures incrementing yourself slightly beyond your competitors. Anything else would be inefficient.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrChips posted:

When automakers stop fighting and agree on a new standard for higher voltage electrical systems.

Are there actuators up to the task of opening and closing valves several hundred times per minute for hours at time over the course of 10-15 years without failure? I figured that would be the biggest stumbling block.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

So you can load it up with Tapout stickers, jack it up 36 inches, and maybe tow something 10 miles twice per year when you are not trying to drive it like an M3 and weaving in and out of traffic and spewing diesel exhaust all over. MANLY MEN spend $60k on pickup trucks! :911:

I really need to take a picture of the front parking lot where I work. It's like a never ending cavalcade of macho men trying to one up each other with their ridiculous trucks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

grover posted:

That's about the same as the loving 68hp Fiat 500 I had for a rental once in Italy. To say it's dangerously slow is an understatement. Suice on the highways, and utterly incapable of maintaining speed up even shallow grades, even with the engine revving in the peak of the powerband.

I think it's safe to say that any car posting respectable 1/4 mile times as their 0-60 time is dangerous.

I haven't driven a car that anemic since I had a 1994 Cavalier with the biggest pause between the 2-3 shift that I have ever seen in my life but I never had an issue merging onto I-75 in Michigan where the majority of drivers are doing 10 over the posted 75mph speed limit.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
All the highways around here are 60-65MPH until you get out in the boonies and it's not like you're taking an electric car on a cross country road trip. In theory something like an electric fourtwo would be perfect for 95% of the driving I do, too bad they're out of my price range...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Who cares if you're getting passed left and right?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Something like that would be literally perfect for me provided there was enough space for a couple of bags of groceries in the back.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Thanks. It still seems like strange wording though.

Yo dogg I got dat comic sans stage three performance edition. And that's just for emails. Don't wanna gently caress with my shitposting font. :c00l:

I prefer my fonts sans serif for extra aerodynamic efficiency.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's more direct injection and other advanced materials and poo poo allowing Ford to use much higher compression ratios than you'd normally see in a turbocharged engine.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well there's the New Beetle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know about the cars themselves, but holy gently caress do Infiniti's commercials annoy the ever living gently caress out of me.