Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Anyone seen the Golf CC? http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-volkswagen-golf-cc-rendered-news

Looks like a Honda Civic to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

poo poo they prob just pulled them all out of focus groups and ran with it. Isn't the word/name "Lexus" completely made up?

This might be apocryphal but I believe the brand "Lexus" was thought up when Toyota's marketing department realized they could make an abbreviation of "Luxury Export US" which was the goal of the whole project.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I never understood the appeal to Audi RS models like the RS5 or RS4. You're entering Cayman territory with that kind of money. Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a dedicated sports car than a generic passenger vehicle with nicer fenders and a body kit?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I often hear a lot about the Verano but I never really saw it as a car that stood out at me. What is it that would make it an attractive choice?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I think someone in Subaru has a mission to ensure a certain percentage of ugly exists in all their production designs.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Son of a bitch. An F-Type coupe?

I'm not sure I can take much more of this hatchy RWDy goodness.

This is loving gorgeous! I never in my right mind imagined I would drive a Jag until now. It was always M3, 911 or RS5 until loving now. The very taillights make me feel like I'm looking into the eyes of a Jaguar.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Bajaha posted:

Hey, to be fair our pricing is usually of the no lube variety compared to just south of the border, especially for anything that has a hint of performance or luxury.

We have our perks of 15 year import laws and this I guess.

Insurance in Southern Ontario will make downsize you from a WRX into a beater Corolla post haste. Other than the ~$5000 premium we pay on MSRP and another 13% in taxes and 1.5k in freight, insurance is the #1 reason you will never drive a fun car in Canada. So if you ever feel like overpaying for a sporty car like a Golf GTI (which costs about 38k base OTR minus any dealer fees they tack on, no negotiation of course) just bite the pillow and clench, it only happens once a month.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Speaking as someone who drove a Mark IV I've done my time and I will never go back.

Now for some content:

The Mazda2 Hazumi concept was unveiled at Geneva at last.

I've long dreamed of the day where we'd get Alfa Romeo styling with Japanese reliability. My dream has finally come true.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Whatever happened to that promised Alfa Romeo revival? Weren't Alfas supposed to come stateside around 2013-2014 with the introduction of the 4C and a sedan that would compete with the 3-Series/A4/C-class?

Actually, why haven't we been able to get Alfas in North America anyway? A friend of mine in Europe told me the brand was all but dead. What went wrong? I got interested in Alfas around early 2000 when I saw the Brera and thought it looked incredible. Supposedly the Brera isn't even the *good* Alfa and they had an even bigger heydey before that. Which models were those?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I want to like the new Merc but the 3 Series reputation and general design language keeps me from preferring it. I think it really sucks how BMW basically owns that segment and everything will always look like a 3-Series pretender even when the new 3 Series isn't what it used to be.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Is the ATS really all that great? While the 3 Series isn't what it used to be, most reviewers say it's still the class leader. I drove the F30 335xi myself and thought it was amazing. As much as I want to like the ATS, I dislike the rear taillights which scream "old man car" and it still seems cheap looking compared to the BMW. I also don't like GM's stupid haptic feedback touchplastic CUE system. I prefer old fashioned buttons and dials.

As for the CLA, I can't justify the price they charge for that thing. The CLA45 AMG approaches the territory of many V6 performance sedans. And yes, I agree with the other poster, Mercedes cars these days look way too melty and remind me of Infinitis.

The main reason I'd want to drive an ATS is that it's much more exclusive in my area. Where I live it's predominantly poverty spec 325is and C-classes with some A4s and S4s sprinkled in, the ATS is definitely the standout model. I actually did a count on my drive to work the other day and counted many more 325s than Honda civics :psyduck:.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

He axed the new RX7. A car that I would have waited, saved for, and bought as it was supposed to be some turbo goodness.

I was under the impression they were still going ahead with the RX-7. That wouldve been my next car after the Mazda 3 I just got.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I don't get it, why is Mazda struggling when their cars are winning all these awards? Is it the poor timing because of the new Corolla coming just after the Mazda 3? As a newly minted 2014 Mazda 3 owner this kind of worries me.

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's just like all the people that get upset when BMW or Audi don't sell cars like the M5 Touring or RS6 avant here in the states, yet on the few occasions we do see a car like that available here in the US, nobody buys them new.

Reminds me of a great article explaining how the sci-fi/nerd crowd gets upset at Hollywood for not making what they want. Then Hollywood answers the call and makes movies like Serenity and Scott Pilgrim only for them to be a box office bomb because the fans clamoring for it never turned up to watch it in theaters. I don't think most car fans have the money for the cars they want their chosen company to make. Those who do have that money will think twice about spending it because they know what it took to get it in the first place.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/ DONE! (It's currently on a train from the harbour, should have mine in a few weeks). If it helps I'll do any maintenance with OEM parts too.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 25, 2014

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I'm lucky in that I think I have one of the only "honest" dealerships in my area. We worked out a ~2k discount on my Mazda 3. I was never put under pressure, all my questions were answered, their markup was shown to me directly and we began our negotiation from there. They are getting a LOT of business because of their no bullshit, no pressure approach. This dealer didn't even charge an "administration fee". They flat out said they were dumb and unnecessary.

Every other dealer either told me that I must compete with other customers and pay more for a car or refused to give me an offer unless I made a firm commitment to buy.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Wow, I too love to pay more to get less. Curse Porsche for making that a business model. This kinda poo poo just further entrenches me in the Mustang or Challenger camp.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So if you had the money is there actually an incentive to buy a BMW, Merc or Audi new? It seems anyone who wants a new one leases, and anyone who wants to own one buys it used when the lease expires. I suppose constantly leasing a new BMW is better than buying one and trading in when the next one comes out. I bet the lease adds up to be about the same as the depreciation of the car with a sizable margin on top. From a pure cost perspective there's little point in owning one past warranty since repairs and parts cost the same as if it was new, only now it's like 5-6 years old.

While we're here, I tried to picture which of the German cars I would have bought if I was rich. I came out with the RS5, M3, S4 and 335xi. All of these are gussied up versions of the volume models. If you really had money to throw around are there even better alternatives than these? The M6 comes to mind.

\/\/\/\/ Probably a stupid question but what is the difference between the SLK and SL? I've never been able to figure it out. It's too bad they don't have one of those in coupe form. I hate convertibles.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 9, 2014

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

There is no reason whatsoever. I did a big long effort post in the BFC forum showing how leasing is always better than buying.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=143660#post368677717

Wow. Now I feel like an idiot for putting 60% down on a Mazda 3 and financing the rest.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I would agree, the new Lexus interiors are really very good, not that they were particularly bad before, and by all accounts if you read the various reviews, the new Lexuses drive better than the new BMWs too. We're in a bizzaro world now where BMW is softening the handling of their cars in order to cater to (Chinese?) tastes, while Lexus and Cadillac now make the best handling sport sedans on the market.

Would that include the new IS350?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Where does the forum stereotype for VWs being horribly unreliable come from? Most people I know seem to be satisfied with theirs. They only dislike the higher cost of routine maintenance.

As for my personal experience I think Mercedes gives the Japanese brands a run for their money as far as reliability goes.

There's this really bizarre disconnect I'm seeing between Americans and Europeans when it comes to German brands.

A lot of Europeans are in love with VW and think it's the pinnacle of quality. British car reviewers often praise VW as a European Toyota.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 23, 2014

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I recently test drove the MK7 Golf. It definitely felt more "solid" than my 2014 Mazda3. My Mazda is a great car and I prefer the simplicity of the infotainment system and the convenience of my heads up display but it's very light feeling. It feels like the sheet metal is flimsier and the car will come apart at its seams. I also like the lack of seams on the Golf because of the laser welding.

That being said I'm told that my Mazda will outlast the Golf at its current quality level while the Golf will degrade quickly.

So what's the build quality like on Mercedes BMW and Audi? Is it any better than VW? Or do cabins start peeling and rattling all the same?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

How do you guys like the new Mercedes C400? drat thing is really awesome inside and out. I was riding in one not too long ago. I used to think I'd find myself in an F30 3 series at some point but that new C400 is definitely winning me over.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What about Mercedes?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Why would you want a Alfa badged Chrysler 200 with a pentastar?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

fknlo posted:

Diesel is still almost $3 a gallon though :negative:

I thought Diesel prices are slower to change compared to gasoline prices. I remember whenever gas shot up in price it took weeks for diesel to follow and vice versa.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I'm not a MOPAR guy, I'm not even a GM or Ford guy except for the Mustang. I've always been about Mazda, Lexus, Mercedes, Nismo and Subaru.

But... Then I saw the Charger Hellcat in person. Then I heard that supercharger whine on acceleration. Then I felt that leather interior, and the amount of room and comfort I have in the cabin. That delightful red paintjob and those aggressive headlights.

I have no words. I've been converted and I didn't even know it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Do you guys think the Hellcat will have classic Chrysler transmission problems? Dealership told me the transmission is sourced from another manufacturer who covers a wide variety of car brands and they claim that this is why it'll be a solid transmission this time.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Speaking of Chrysler:

http://jalopnik.com/first-hellcat-sold-in-colorado-wrecked-an-hour-after-pu-1673994344

Now it's time for everyone to discuss angrily about the insurance rates.

Living in Canada myself I wonder if it's practical to have a 707hp RWD behemoth as your only car. I imagine the traction control is probably a joke. Feather the throttle ever so lightly and those wheels will spin.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I find supercars too flashy. E63 AMG or Hellcat Charger for me.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

After everything I've seen in the last few years I think its very likely my next vehicle will probably be an American one unless Mazda puts out a really awesome V6 RWD sedan.

The new charger is absolutely growing on me and the only thing that remains to be seen is how well it drives and how fun it is compared to my Mazda3.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

The real problem is nobody is being paid enough to afford these cars new. The price is fair relative to what you get.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Man where I came from we did poo poo the old fashioned way. There weren't any pussy childseats, I sat in my mom's lap until I was old enough to sit by myself in the back seat, without a fastened seatbelt in a country famous for horrible traffic accidents. I turned out fine. Yes that was very extreme and I'm not saying we should do that. But goddamn the North American obsession with putting their kids into a protective bubble and sheltering them from every imaginable and unimaginable danger.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

No, seatbelts and child seats may not be, but Americans are loving insane when it comes to overprotection and helicopter parenting.

This is the argument I was making. I never advocated not using child seats. If you people read my post you'd see I said that. Because I explicitly said my example was extreme and I wasn't advocating it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I feel like most car companies have turned to poo poo since about 2005.

Toyota is basically GM circa 1980. No innovation in their cars, their reputation for reliability is just that, reputation. Everyone is tacking on all these weight increasing features and electronics with high rates of failure.

Remember when German cars used to be rock solid? You could buy MK.II Golfs and they'd be bullet proof for years. Old Mercedes Benz cars were over engineered to the point where they'd last forever and are still in use in 3rd world countries.

Now you get nothing. Everything has been cost cut to razor thin tolerances and falls apart within 5 years.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

fknlo posted:

I know everything has always been about making a profit, but the extremes people go to in order to do so are dumb. Houses, cars, pretty much everything else all made as shittily and quickly as possible to make someone the most money possible.

It just seems like it's gotten so much worse compared to the old days. Objectively a Honda Civic from 95 is way better built than the ones today.

And as you said houses/condos etc are also poorly built. The thing is even old rules about paying more to get higher quality don't apply anymore. Even high end luxury homes are falling apart and poorly built.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I really like where Ford is going lately and if the reliability and build quality is actually good I can totally see myself owning one oneday. For example a the GT350 seems like a nice sports car to have.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Wait so Ford has front loaded throttle mapping? I thought that was something Japanese cars did to give you the illusion of power and the Americans were linear?

Does the current gen Mustang do this?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I'd get the mustang in Blue, Red, or that dark gray. Not sure what you guys see in Guard Green. Looks like a poor attempt at British Racing Green which I also don't like.

\/\/\/\/\/\/: So is blue.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 30, 2015

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Why so much Mustang talk yet no Challenger SRT love?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I've recently become obsessed with large RWD sleeper sedans. My friend tuned his G8 to like 700 WHP. It looks mean. I think he can pull something like 10.2 or less on the drag strip.

What do you guys think of the upcoming CTS-V. Is it "young" enough that people won't assume you were born in 1918? Think you could embarrass some exotics with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Really the vast majority of the car buying public will buy for the prestige of the badge. I hate to say it but just about every BMW and MB driver I've met has been a colossal jackass snob. This is precisely why I want the CTS-V even more. Here's a car that can potentially embarrass them where it counts and it's still factually as luxurious and pleasant to drive as their car without the baggage associated with the badge.