Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Last I heard they were only gonna make like 6500 of the regular units per year. Those are NA Fiesta ST numbers. They plan on doing it by hyping it beyond the regular 6500 sales they would normally get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Has Toyota just abandoned TRD? Or have they just diluted it to be just an upgrade package? I thought it still meant something to have a TRD tacoma, but I don't know much about import trucks.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tord

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I thought margins were up but net profit was down.

This is true. Capitalism only cares about LINE GO UP. And the line didn’t go up nearly as much.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

New Maverick ST gonna be dope.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Chinese Century is going well, I see.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s $112k sticker? Who is this for?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s gonna weigh soooo much. Can’t wait to see these at mud drags, digging huge pits.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bird with big dick posted:

Swerving to avoid an elk or a deer falls into the bad driver category. You just shouldn't do it. And I would be extremely surprised if they were a meaningful portion, and for that meaningful portion to be avoidable in a more nimble car enough to offset the other safety disadvantages? Nah.

The increased crash protection in larger/heavier vehicles exists all the time, not just in MVAs. It's just an even bigger factor in MVAs.

cowards made this graph. Show me 1973-1980. Show me the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Show me the Lincoln Mark V.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m just waiting for the Maverick ST, which seems like a likely next trim level.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just hope the plan is to continue making GR Corollas for a few years, cause I wanna buy one. Ive got other major purchases coming up, so im not even on the wait list. I have a feeling it’s gonna be a three calendar year car, though, and I’ll never be able to find one. Boy I hope I’m wrong.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I hit the governor at 113 in a 3.8 ‘92 Olds 88. It wasn’t special or even a very strong memory. I’d imagine most of you drove a 3.8 for like ten years of your life. I’ve done 110 in my FiST and it also wasn’t special.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Here I thought MaxV testing was pretty standard. 120 in my old Nova, 105 in an MN12 Thunderbird (fuel cut), 135 in a 2000 Mustang. Haven't done it with the 6, but I've broken 100 with it. 115 or so in a '96 Bonneville and 131 in an '03. Not all my decisions are bad, but my automotive ones usually are.

See? This guy gets it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As Nero Danced posted:

I got my grand marquis up to 100 once, it was terrifying. The car did not like it and neither did I. It was better on a (cruiser) motorcycle believe it or not, except for the fear in the back of my head that I'm one unfortunate pebble or bug on the helmet visor from being a red smear on the road. I have no desire to ever reach that speed again, my own personal speed limit is 75, I have no desire to ever go beyond that again.

My buddy had an 86 (I believe) Grand Marquis that he dropped an F150 rear end and suspension into. Put a brush guard tube grill on it. We'd take it out in the woods and listen to metal, smoking weed and cigarettes, everyone with their own ashtray.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Fiat 500e was a lot of fun cause it had completely unregulated power. Just roast the tires by touching the accelerator.

My coworker had one and sold it, and if I didn’t rent a 130 year old house with no external outlets, I would have bought it. Fun little toy car.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wistful of Dollars posted:

If I'm going to die in an electric car fire it's going to be a classy fire.

Look at Immolation Rockefeller over here. Too classy to die in a Fiat Nuovo Fuoco 500.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Gas prices typically go down when the republicans win. Make of that what you will.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KakerMix posted:

There is nothing to "make" since fuel prices are up across the world, this isn't a USA thing lmao

American gas prices are absolutely a USA thing. The discussion shifted to politics and it’s impact on US gas prices. How’d you miss that? There’s only like four posts between mine and yours.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

GMC Typhoon. They’ve never made one better. Perfect size, perfect SUV.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Chryslers entire mantra seems to be “stick a hellcat engine in it.”

I’m waiting for the Town & Country Redeye.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Blazer is selling very well though. It’s on track to hit 70+k units sold in the US for three years in a row.

I agree it’s nowhere near as exciting as the Bronco, which will probably top 90k US sales this year, but it’s not unpopular. The Blazer sold 95k in 2020 alone.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

GM’s complete lack of a vehicle to fit the Wrangler Competitor segment has baffled me for a few years now. It’s like they just don’t care to participate.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The aforementioned FJ cruiser was somewhere in that wheelhouse. GM had the brand to make a sporty off-roader too, with Hummer. Or the Trailblazer.

It’s more that GM saw (or didn’t) what was happening with the Raptor then did not respond at all. Toyota has the TRD pro stuff, Chrysler has all of Jeep, then the TRX. Chevy did the… high country? I think? Then revived the Blazer name during the Bronco reissue hype and made a city focused SUV. They did it again with the Trailblazer.

I know I’m Monday Morning QB’ing here, but it seems like they’re leaving money on the table.

And I know they don’t make money; but GM has/had the platform to make a hot hatch, but completely gave up that space after the cobalt SS and the HHR SS.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We parked next to one in our Cherokee. It’s the same size (2014 Cherokee, the one with too many headlights)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m still holding my breath for an ST

e: and my wife would hate it, but maybe manual transmission? The transmission from the Focus RS? poo poo, the entire drivetrain of the RS.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 30, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

david_a posted:

I don’t understand why the current Ranger exists. What is the differentiator between it and the F-150? That name should have been used for the Maverick, which seems far more fitting.

It’s smaller than an F150

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Back when I worked at an iron ore mine, the Buy American push was more about supporting other union workers, as the auto manufacturers still used USW and UAW staff. Most (all?) Japanese and Korean brands used non-union labor and positioned themselves specifically in areas where they could keep wages low. Now the big three just make all their stuff in Mexico for the same reasons, so who knows? Born to die; World is a gently caress.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

darnon posted:

Ford's Mexico plants are unionized.

But they build them in Mexico because the wages are lower.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

but what if you got the TRD Camry? that one's supposed to be fun and sporty.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

carry on then posted:

Can you even get a midsize with 300 HP and AWD for less than like $45k?

gently used Taurus I guess

Not a midsize, but the GR Corolla hits the rest of that with a projected $31k

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Keyser_Soze posted:

They should have put the Challenger front end retro look on both cars.

You probably can. Won’t line up, but it might bolt on

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The ticket to buying new cars: spec it into something nobody else wants.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My cousin’s got a TRX. I should see if I can drive it some time soon.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Keyser_Soze posted:

Matrix superiority.

You’re not fooling anyone, that’s a Pontiac Vibe

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hyundai is apparently doing a mid engine hatch sometime soon. There’s a “30” somewhere in the name IIRC.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The mic in my Fiesta is so close to me (like everything else) that voice stuff on Car Play works pretty flawlessly. You can’t talk to the car though, there’s no options for it to control.

I like just tapping a steering wheel button and telling it to map a route to someone’s house or find a place. It’s kinda neat.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They redid the entire infotainment setup in 2016 and made it in line with Sync 3, so I’m sure you’re correct.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Seems like the toxx should be if they announce it with a CVT at all, not “CVT only”.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PeterWeller posted:

Why? The post that started this dumb poo poo is:

I musta missed that in the madness. Have fun with your toxxes everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bird with big dick posted:

Military Widow edition seems like an odd niche to be targeting with that.

They’ve got enough money from the payout, plus their pre-widow boyfriend’s military check, let ‘em play ball.