Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I have a Volt and need another car. I’d love another Plug-in hybrid as they’re perfect for our use case, but I’d need to clean out my garage enough that 1 one of them can park there. And keep it that way.

Shudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
GM also had a KILLER car with the Volt, a plug-in hybrid that literally had the highest buyer satisfaction in GM history. They of course stopped making it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it didn't make money and they went all in on EV which is tough to really criticize imo
I have no problems criticizing pure EVs, every time I try to game out anything more interesting than my normal work or weekend day the infrastructure isn’t there. I have a house/garage but if I leave the area and go someplace with street parking and no close fast charges it would suck.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My 2015 Volt manual says it requires premium, the Technology Connections guy says that third just because it’s stabler. The Volt will also run the gas engine from time-to-time just keep seals wet and the gas moving, was the implication that the Toyota didn’t do this? Odd.

When I knew I was gonna run out the tank on a trip I used regular and experienced no differences.

Similarly the Volt request an oil change after some apparently random king interval, I’ve owned the car 7-8 years and have done it twice (maybe 3 times?), but most of my driving is on battery so eh. Forgot until now how much worthless service crap the dealership tried to add on when I had the oil change there. Christ I hate car dealerships.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Has anybody used the GM Supercruise for real? Looking at tor compatible roads map, it seems to be mainly interstates, which I get (self-driving is a hard problem and interstates are by nature relatively uniform and without pedestrians) but there are all these large breaks in compatibility. There’s a ~3 hour dive I take a lot that’s mainly Interstates, but is broken into about 5 pieces. Is this as annoying as it seems like?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
CarPlay &etc are a real threat to automakers, especially for EVs, which after the engineering settles will be more reliable even then current hybrids. Putting that stuff in the hands of somebody else not only loses valuable information, but also eliminates one source of new car buyers - people that want new stereo/UI/navigation features. I suspect that’s why it’s so damned hard to replace head units on new cars these days.

The number of people that pay tens of thousands todo this is well above zero; for years every time I rented a car with CarPlay I thought about trading in my beloved Volt that was the model year before CarPlay.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit:

This dude testing a Hyundai has had both windscreen wipers peace out and eject themselves from the car. :lol:

https://twitter.com/garygastelu/status/1654212148950704133?t=MSW5ua3IAMdixVEAzxQnfQ&s=19

This happened to me the other day I guess I hosed up replacing one of the blades last month.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Also a correlation between snow and RWD. I love, love, love the way RWD feels but just gently caress it in snow. Not worth it unless I get rich enough to have a hobby car and a place to keep it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I had (may have I dunno) the Hertz equivalent of Emerald Isle, and on one la trip with my daughter I scored a Chevy SS. Weird but really fun car to drive, really comfy and quiet but with power and handling. Thought about getting one but the local Chevy sales people had no idea that this even existed and kept trying to show me Camaros with the SS package.

Then I bought a Volt, which I loving love to death. I now hate buying gas as I rarely need to outside of trips.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It’s amazing that (as of a few years ago) the Volt had the best customer ratings in GM history.

They killed it of course.

It’s the only car I’ve ever had that I haven’t actively hated, although it’s a little too small and I won’t pay the crazy money for the anti-buffeting rear view mirrors.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Applebees Appetizer posted:

There's a Dodge dealer near me that was selling a bunch of new '23 V6 Challengers for $20k :v:
Oh that’s why I got one as a rental instead of an econobox. I thought I got lucky, but it costs LESS than whatever tiny Kia they were gonna give me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mr. Apollo posted:

Someone in my parents’ neighborhood has a Cadillac Celestiq. It looks even longer in person. Definitely a weird looking car.
$340,000?

Better use of money than 3 cybertrucks but seriously? At that price I’d just buy a Bentley and hire a driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I have no idea if my Volt has an AM radio. Probably does I guess.