Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

extra: I found this photoshop while google image searching for a suitable caprice wagon pic:

loving :awesome:

Return of the Roadmaster. Return of the Roadmaster :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I almost didn't get my Focus ST because of my Ford touch. The leather Recaros and HID headlights only came with MFT though. Terrible decision Ford.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I just don't want to loving sit anymore. 12 hours in an uncomfortable airplane seat. I want to be able to feel my rear end cheeks again.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Change that degrees mark to a percentage mark denoting how much off road time and it wouldn't ever have to move past 0%. Would save a few cents in production.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

However long it takes the currently broke roughnecks to get to the rig.

May be longer than you think as all their F350 SuperBro editions got repo'd

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Expecting actual self driving cars to behave anything like a human driver is the wrong way to go about it. We aren't going to jump to self driving with our current infrastructure and tons of "dumb cars" on the road. All the cameras and pattern recognition trying to see lovely road markings and all the dangers is the wrong way to go about it. Thats not how an AI has to deal with the world. Yeah sure, cameras to determine pedestrians and non-car obstacles are necessary.

Having more networked vehicles able to communicate with each other is a good first step. So that F450 barreling up behind you is in communication with your car. Your car is reporting that it is stopped. The F150 applies the brakes and communicates that to the car behind it. Disaster averted. Test this out for a few years while throwing RFID lane markers at certain intervals on major roads. Require communication modules on all legacy cars on the road.

Now your car knows where at least 1 lane is, as well as all the other cars directly around it. It can determine spacing and the remaining lanes through car communication and current lane assist/cruise assist technology. Imagine how many more cars we can cram into a highway if the vehicles themselves are communicating braking and speed change maneuvers as well as lane changes and exit/entrance behaviors through a local mesh network?

Hell, intersections could even work without lights if your communication network is good enough. Now you don't even need to worry about stop signs/lights

As far as all the side roads and truly awful situations, there will always need to be a manual control. There will still be car to car communication to deal with catastrophic events.

Securing all this? Good loving luck. Hopefully we get Skynet.

Basically true self driving capability will never be realized without a baller rear end car to car communication network with 99.9% of the vehicles on board.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 23, 2016

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Hypothetically speaking: Since so many manufacturers are piping in... "enhanced"... exhaust sounds, could a hacker, if so-inclined, hack the audio settings to, say, make the car fart profusely when you step on the gas? :allears:

The one on the ST was basically just a physical tube with tuned acoustic properties or something. Stick a speaker in the tube. Mission accomplished. If its piped in through the stereo, then the sound files need to exist somewhere and somehow.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

New mazda6 will have more stiched leather in the interior, turbo engine but auto only.

Saw the release. Got all excited. Saw the article. Read a bit more. Got even more excited.

Then they go and gently caress it all up with weird transmission choices.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm curious if the auto-only turbo decision is engine based or region based.

As mentioned before you can get a GT trim with a stick in Canada where you can't in the US. That's with the same engine, though so :shrug:

They have manuals around that can handle it. So I'd think it's market based in that it's not worth certifying and building the manual version for low take rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Apparently you can't configure a Stinger with all season tires without buying the $2000 package of annoying driver aids. Thats a super strange limitation.