Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Hermansen posted:

BMW CEO announces that there will be a FWD BMW in the near future

http://jalopnik.com/5496441/bmw-ceo-there-will-be-front+wheel-drive-bmws

And here I was, believing that BMW thought FWD was, in fact, the devil..
It will be a sad day, when it comes..
What I find very funny about this is that 80% of BMW 1-series owners thought their car is already front wheel drive.

There's something very very wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Frosty- posted:

Do Hennessey cars even exist? I mean a 4th grader could come up with an idea for a badass car with 1000hp but he probably won't ever build one. I feel this rule generally applies to Hennessey.
They're talking about making 10 of these cars, PER YEAR! What's their production shop, I wonder, 1 guy, part time?

I do wonder how they plan to put down 1200hp through PS2s.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Professor Bling posted:

This thought has never, in my 21 years, ever crossed my mind.

It seems like the kind of idea Smokey Yunick would have had if he was drunk off his rear end and British.
Why don't they offer a 300-400hp engine? Why put 189hp when they could be going even faster still? Would jump from being practically a supercar to actually being an affordable supercar.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know how much more power they can get out of the Toyota four-cylinder reliably. As it is, the Exige can be had with up to 260-270hp, and adding weight to an Exige or Elise is just...wrong.
Only AI can find fault with putting more power in an elise... Yeah, it's kick-rear end because it's light, but that's not just because it's light but because of it's excellent power-to-weight ratio. It does suffer at high speeds at the track due to lack of absolute horsepower and overall low top end speed. Another 100hp would help this, don't you think?

Dropping in a 1200hp engine is going to add a poo poo-load of weight, though. That 725hp Hennessey, for example:

1.8L 2ZZ-GE Engine, 218hp, 253lbs dry
6.2L LS9, 726hp (for Hennessey) 530lbs dry
+ probably beefier everything else to handle the extra power.

This, I think is absolute extreme, though; an engine half the size of the LS9 but with the same power-to-weight as the Hennessey LS9 would be a 100hp increase for the same weight as the 2ZZ-GE. I think there is a happy medium here with a reasonably bigger engine.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

Really good news!:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-20102011-renault-logan-expression-1-0-16v-brazilian/
Seriously though, I had no idea there was a 1.0L limit in Brazil.
Is that essentially a Nissan Versa/Tiida with a 1.0L engine? I've had them as rentals a couple times and liked them, but thought them a tad underpowered, even with the ~120hp 1.8L. I can't imagine trying to drive one in the mountains of Brazil with just 70hp.

I was curious about the tax, but can't find much on it aside from larger engines being available, just 1.0L being popular. Is there a 1.0L limit, or are people choosing cheaper options to reduce the annual value-based car tax? Brazil's websites are all in Portuguese and even with google translate, aren't shedding much info.

Edit: one of the comments on that site explained it

quote:

The sales tax varies with displacement. It is lowest for 1.0 and lower sizes, highest for above 2.4 liters (if I recall correctly). Volkswagen actually did a very nice experiment, selling 1.0 Turbo engines but I am not sure why they stopped it – probably too expensive. Ford also did a supercharged 1.0 engine to fight VW.

Per this site, the tax is 10% for cars with 1.0L or smaller engines, and 25% for over 1.0L, and is included in the sticker price of a car. Sounds like a perfect market for turbos!

grover fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 18, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

hobbesmaster posted:

They should just throw in a V8.
Subarau has managed to market "cool" station wagons like the STI, so it is possible. A V8 would go a long way towards making the Caravan less of a stigma. They also need to make it look less like a minivan and more like a rally car.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

rscott posted:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/253666/vws_baby_roadster_is_coming.html

2 door MR roadster with a TDI? I guess the platform is going to be shared with porsche as well, with a new 918 coming out. Either way, should be pretty freakin' sweet.
Porsche and Audi aren't too keen on Porsche/Audi Bluesports. The VW is headed for production (2013 model year as the target?), but the Porsche 356 and Audi R4 might not be. With VW at the helm, not a whole lot they can do to stop it if that's what VW wants.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

PT6A posted:

I know BMWs are all limited at 203 km/h in Canada, so I don't think it's that, and I meant to say specifically the V6 Mustang was limited at that speed; the GT is limited at something like 130 mph instead.
How does the new Mustang handle at high speeds if the governor is removed? Could the governor be related to aerodynamics?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

PT6A posted:

I don't know, but the aerodynamic profile of the V6 and the GT should be nearly identical, no?
The GT is heavier, which should help it retain control at slightly higher speeds. There are a few other differences in the suspension and OEM tire sizes, too, isn't there? Does the GT ride any lower or have different exterior trim?

grover fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 2, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kill me now posted:

I can guarantee that Ford did not design a car with 415hp stock yet was not safe aerodynamically above 120. The weight difference would be negligible if it was that drastic of an aero problem.
I agree, it just doesn't make sense, but neither do such low governor limits. I can't seem to find anything on google about this, aside from complaints that the fox body would get real light above 120-125mph. Surely someone has unlocked a new mustang and seen how fast it can REALLY go? Or do people track these with the governor on?

Pure speculation here, but could Ford have optimized the aerodynamics for fuel economy to meet federal mandates, while cheaping out on the pop-up spoiler it would take to stay stable at higher speeds?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Left Ventricle posted:

I gotta wonder about the Ecoboost and the new 5.0 though... Which one will be the top spec engine?
Ecoboost is more about mileage than power, but given CAFE, it's the way we're going whether we like it or not. I'm just impressed the new crop of direct-injected turbocharged engines are able to offer such large gains in efficiency without giving up more power than they are. It's amazing that there's still efficiencies to be gained that weren't realized decades ago! At least this time around they're just trading cost for emissions instead of cost AND power like they did in the 80s.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Muffinpox posted:

The efficiency of DI has been known about for a long time, it just hasn't been economical to implement it in gas engines or effectively mate it with forced induction until the early 90s.
Well, it's still not all that economical to implement, but CAFE has forced the manufacturers' hand in the matter.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slothophile posted:

It gets 94mpg on combined cycle so you'll make it back in fuel savings!
For once, it's a car you'd actually want to drive enough to make back those savings, too! Which is... ah... at about $3/gallon... roughly 1,492,000 miles vs a more conventional supercar, like a Laborghini Murcielago. You could do it over a 5-year loan, to... if you drove 6 hours a day at 150mph.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I'm looking forward to Top Gear getting a crack at the Porsche 918. For now, R&T released some audio of the engine revving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4phgrpeR8

Better produced video of the above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J-vYph6abI&feature=player_embedded

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Rumors abound that Porsche will not only be building a small SUV, they will call it the Cajun. I wonder how long before we see a Porsche-branded Routan?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
VW is rumored to be entering NASCAR, and Porsche returning to Formula 1.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/01/rumormill-porsche-coming-back-to-formula-1/

Autoblog posted:

Porsche is engaged in roundtable discussions about re-entering Formula 1. The Stuttgart automaker has been in and out of Formula 1 for decades, and now with Volkswagen making noises about entering various racing series like NASCAR, it appears all that's left to be decided is which manufacturer will go where. The latest pie to be split has an LMP1 car on one side and an F1 car on the other, with Audi and Porsche holding the forks. Audi has already said it doesn't fit with Formula 1, leaving Porsche as the de facto F1 entrant.

Porsche's current racing involvement is mainly through customer programs, so this move (should it happen) would mark a return to full-on heavy duty factory involvement. VW has been in talks with the FIA about providing a so-called "world engine" for F1, but it's unclear whether Porsche's involvement would hinge on that coming to pass or if the automaker would make an engine regardless. The Williams F1 team's overtures to VW could provide another point of entry to the pinnacle of motorsport.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That should make it cheaper to make more of the car from composites, since it sounds like they'll be able to automate more of the process, rather than having to hand lay everything.
This is a very exciting technology! I look forward to the day I can afford carbon fiber wheels :D

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

The average age of the Scion buyer as of a couple years ago was 36. I think for Toyota on the whole it's high 40s. So while there are definitely plenty of old folks buying them, there is a youth component. In fact, the youth component being unable to buy Scions would explain Throatwarbler's data.
So in that sense, it is a mistake or at least ineffective to pigeonhole the FT86 into Scion, given that it would have no more real effect than if it were a Toyota sports car.
A good part of their target demographic can't even afford new Scions in a good economy, just used, which doesn't really help Toyota's bottom line.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Mr. Apollo posted:

2010 Corvette

Height - 48.7"
Length - 175.6"
Width - 75.9"

2010 Mustang

Height - 55.6"
Length - 188.1"
Width - 73.9"

So the Mustang is 7" taller, about a foot longer, and 2" narrower. That seems "pretty close" in size to me.

For comparison purposes the GTR fits in between the Mustang and Corvette in terms of size.

2010 GTR

Height - 54.0"
Length - 183.1"
Width - 74.9"
You don't think a foot of length and 7" of height are a huge difference? Also, the mustang is about 350lbs heavier than the corvette. The GTR is 650lbs heavier.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
The new CEO of Porsche has put the brakes on the cajun and baby boxster, and may kill both.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6719643/news/report-new-porsche-ceo-may-scrap-cajun-suv-baby-boxster/index.html

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone eve wish for a convertible Nissan Murano?

2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet

World Debut - Nov. 17th at the Los Angeles Auto Show

The world’s first all-wheel drive crossover convertible, delivers the open-air exhilaration of a convertible while extending the versatility of the Murano in exciting new ways. With room for four adults, space for golf bags or luggage (even with the top down), and a premium level interior, the Murano CrossCabriolet represents a breakthrough in concept and design. Set to go on sale in early 2011.
Does the top take up the entire trunk, or just most of it?

How does this extend the versatility of the Murano?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Muffinpox posted:

I think most insurance companies in the US have discounts if you take a "defensive driver" course or do a HPDE.
I called GEICO last year, and asked this question. Turns out, they only give "defensive driver course" discounts to elderly drivers. And not only do they NOT give discounts for HPEE, but they will not cover any damage that occurs on a racetrack, and insurance companies across the board (GEICO included) are renowned for dropping people the moment they discover they've done HPDEs. I guess, demographically, people who do HPDEs are agressive drivers who get in a lot of accidents or something.

That said, I know people who have wrecked at HPDE, been 100% up-front about it, and had GEICO fix their car. So, inconsistency is the rule, but you're rolling the dice if you try it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I'd love to, too!

Muffinpox posted:

It might vary by who runs the program, my insurance offers a discount to go to BMW club high performance drivers training which is just a HPDE at NHMS. My friend said allstate is the same.
May, again, be a demographics thing. Of course, BMW school is more than just track driving, it's also wet skidpad and all sorts of recovery training, too. And I bet demographics for BMW school graduates is fewer accidents, not more.

Insurance companies do really odd things in the name of demographics. For instance, full liability and collision coverage on a $30k Porsche costs less than on a $15k Honda Civic because Porsche drivers are, as a demographic, far less likely to get into accidents. Completely counterintuitive, but per GEICO, that's the way their rates are structured.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 12, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
This will be like that frustrating "feature" on my riding lawnmower that forces me to push a button before backing up, isn't it? Not that pushing a button forces me to look backwards... in fact, quite the opposite. I end up looking at the button instead of looking at what's behind me.

Now, people are going to be looking at the camera, and not actually looking BACK where their peripheral vision would see kids running towards them, etc. These had better be some damned good cameras.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Skyssx posted:

You use a Cub Cadet, don't you? Start the mower, move the key to "reverse" mowing, push the button, mow forward or reverse at will. It won't pop the PTO. It's a little harder (make and install shorting jumpers) if you have a zero-turn.

Regardless, that poo poo is the dumbest thing ever. Commercial units aren't "required" to have it and allow you to mow over children at 12 MPH in reverse. I suggest you get one of those.
John Deere. I disabled the dead-man switch under the seat so that I can stop and move something out of the way without the engine dying on me. I haven't been bothered to disable the reverse cutout relay, though. Would be trivial, I'm sure.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Porsche 918 RSR was unveiled this morning.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/detroit-2011-porsche-918-rsr-2011-01-10

Topgear.uk posted:

Detroit 2011: Porsche unveils 918 RSR
767bhp racing version of hybrid supercar revealed at the Detroit motor show…
Posted by: Paul Horrell, 10 January 2011

Porsche has stolen the floor at the Detroit motor show with the quite sensational 918 RSR.

The RSR is a blend of the 918 Spyder road car and the hybrid tech of the 911 GT3 R hybrid we drove last year.

It looks brilliant - the closed cockpit making it look shorter and more purposeful than the 918 Spyder - and it's got cool orange stripes, and bears the number 22, which was the winning number of the Porsche 917 K that won Le Mans 40 years ago with an average speed of 138mph, not beaten until Audi did it last year. Also, the fan sits over the engine, exactly like the one on the 917's flat-12.

The 918 RSR uses a V8 from the RS Spyder racer, tuned for 563bhp at 10,300rpm (!). There are two electric motors for the front wheels - they're independently powered to give torque vectoring to improve cornering - and max power is 767bhp when the driver pushes a button to activate the electric motors. It's a six-speed paddleshift transmission for the V8.

The electric energy comes from a flywheel in the ‘passenger's seat' linked to a motor/generator to turn electric energy into flywheel energy and vice-versa. The flywheel spins to 36,000rpm.

By contrast the road 918 has a battery hybrid system instead of the flywheel. Batteries allow fairly large quantities of energy to be stored; it can do 15 miles of gentle driving on its batteries before the engine starts. The batteries can also be charged from the mains.

But, explains TopGear magazine Man of the Year Wolfgang Duerheimer, the RSR uses a flywheel because, crucially, the energy can be got into and out of the flywheel faster than it can be with batteries, so the electric kick out of a corner can be bigger. Also, the flywheel is lighter than batteries.

At the moment there's no racing category that the 918 RSR is eligible for, but Duerheimer says Porsche is talking to the authorities about making rules to fit the car. ‘We think there should be a new impulse in racing, new technologies.'

By the way, Porsche hasn't exactly opened the order books on the production 918 Spyder, but it has said it will build the car. It won't say when (we hear about two years) or how many (but 2,500 non-binding ‘letters of intent' have been signed by potential customers) or how much it'll cost (er, lots).

Lots more photos here:
http://www.gizmag.com/detroit-world-premiere-porsche-918-rsr/17529/picture/127643/

grover fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 11, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

redscare posted:

Its hideous and all of you that think otherwise are broken
Sorry, Ferrari, but that looks horrible. Porsche 911 retains its title as the world's only good-looking 4-seat sports car, even if the rear seats are a joke. Of course, the 981 will have back seats that may even be large enough to fit adults, a result of engineering around loopholes in CAFE.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Porsche's unveiled a new electric Boxster E. The electric motor puts out 240hp and gives 5.3s 0-60 mph times (comparable to the normal Boxster), with an estimated range of 100 miles. It's still undergoing testing so probably won't be on sale for a while.

Porsche's going to start selling Panamera S Hybrids later this year. But at 33mpg, it's certainly not an eco car.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 24, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The supercharged is basically a Cobalt with more power, the turbocharged is a Cobalt with a much better engine and more power, plus a bunch of handling/suspension upgrades, plus some better driver-oriented interior bits. The turbo Ecotec is a great engine.
They need to apply those changes across the model line. The base Cobalt is one of the worst cars I've ever had the displeasure to drive.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

travisray2004 posted:

Is this a joke?
Sadly, no. She's apparently a pop sensation in Japan- an entirely artificial animated creation with a synthesized voice. And holographically performing at sold-out concerts. And driving Toyotas. :psyduck:

It's downright creepy.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

el topo posted:

Yeah, I saw one on the street the other day and couldn't help but think that it's really not suitable if you have, you know, legs. Not as bad as that convertible Lexus coupe (WTF was Lexus thinking), but not that much better. But then it IS a tiny city car sold for its maneuverability and ease of parking.

OTOH yesterday I got in the back seat of a standard Mini along with a 6' tall coworker and we were both impressed. That car has more rear legroom than my A4.
The back seats are small, but functional- I wouldn't call them a joke, as they are large enough to physically fit two adults. Unlike many other token rear seats I've seen, the driver's seat did NOT literally press into the rear seat when slid full back, and would have been fine for a kid, even at full press. The luggage compartment is a pretty bad joke, though. Can't even fit two rollaboards into it due to the shape.

We had 3 adults and all our luggage in the Fiat 500 I had in Europe a few weeks ago. And no, it was not comfortable. Thankfully, two of us packed light and just had our rollaboards, and we only had one "real" suitcase to jam in... and that took some doing! It was OK for a 15 minute drive to the airport; I wouldn't want to have tried to cross Europe like that.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 13, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Powershift posted:

The scary part is that the skyG engine runs 14:1 compression and requires premium gas. Eventually, somebody is going to put regular in, or just plain bad gas, and at 14:1 compression some bad things could happen.
Don't all modern fuel-injected engines have safeguards to detect predetonation and prevent damage from occurring?

That is one hell of a compression, though! Do they expect piston cavities and multi-hole injection to be that effective?

Here's Mazda's press release on it:

Mazda posted:

HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation has announced that the "SKYACTIV-G 1.3" direct-injection 1.3-liter gasoline engine will be the first of its next-generation SKYACTIV technologies to be introduced to the market. Mazda will unveil the engine at the Automotive Engineering Exposition that will be held from May 18 through 20, 2011, at the Pacifico Yokohama convention center near Tokyo, Japan.

The breakthrough SKYACTIV-G 1.3 achieves a record high compression ratio (for a regular gasoline mass production automobile engine) of 14.0:1 and exhibits high efficiency, especially under high load at low rpm. In order to avoid knocking – an unavoidable issue with conventional high-compression engines – the SKYACTIV-G 1.3 features a number of new technologies, such as piston cavities that are specially designed to support ideal combustion, and multi-hole injectors that enable precise fuel injection control.

Mazda plans to introduce the SKYACTIV-G 1.3 to the Japanese market in the facelifted Mazda Demio (known overseas as the Mazda2) during the first half of 2011. It will be the first ever 1.3-liter direct-injection gasoline engine to be equipped in a compact car manufactured in Japan. Combined with Mazda's unique idling stop system, i-stop, and a continuously variable transmission (CVT), SKYACTIV-G 1.3 will achieve fuel economy of 30km/L under Japan's 10-15 mode test cycle.

Mazda has applied for over 130 patents in relation to the engine (as of the end of February, 2011).

SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY is the umbrella term for Mazda's range of next-generation technologies – including gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions, and a new body and chassis – that significantly improve vehicle driving dynamics as well as environmental and safety performance. The SKYACTIV-G 1.3 that is equipped in the facelifted Mazda Demio adopts all of Mazda's SKYACTIV engine technologies except for the exhaust manifold. It also features other new components that are exclusive to the Demio, such as a cooled EGR* system.

Under its Sustainable Zoom-Zoom vision, Mazda aims to deliver outstanding driving pleasure as well as environmental and safety performance, and is committed to increasing its global fleet fuel economy by 30 percent by 2015, compared with the 2008 level.

Main features of the SKYACTIV-G 1.3 engine
  • Highly efficient automobile gasoline engine and the world's first to achieve a compression ratio of 14.0:1
  • Multi-hole injectors enable precise fuel injection control for ideal combustion
  • Mazda's first dual sequential valve timing system (dual S-VT with electronically-operated intake) in combination with the high compression ratio achieves an unconventional Miller cycle (extremely delayed closure of intake valves) that improves efficiency
  • Compact combustion chambers have a longer stroke for better efficiency
  • Piston cavities are specially designed to support ideal combustion
  • 30 percent less mechanical friction, due to a narrower crankshaft, new roller followers and low-tension piston rings that also reduce oil consumption
  • Various countermeasures to prevent knocking, including a cooled EGR system
  • An updated version of Mazda's innovative idling stop system, i-stop, improves fuel economy by eight percent. It operates with a higher frequency, requires less fuel to restart, and achieves a smoother restart
  • A lightweight and highly rigid aluminum alloy engine block

Major specifications of the SKYACTIV-G 1.3
Inline four-cylinder 1.3-liter direct-injection engine (with i-stop)
Engine displacement: 1.298L
Bore and stroke: 71.0mm x 82.0mm
Compression ratio: 14.0:1
Maximum output (net): 62kW@5,400rpm (84ps@5,400rpm)
Maximum torque (net): 112Nm@4,000rpm

grover fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 20, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Report: Audi R4 Roadster Confirmed for 2014 Debut, Porsche and Volkswagen Versions Still Coming

Included in the article, but clearly not an Audi

automobilemag.com posted:

We’ve long known that Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen will each launch a unique, mid-engined roadster based on the same platform over the next few years. A new report from Autocar confirms that Audi’s version, dubbed the R4, will arrive by 2014 or 2015. It also reaffirms that the Volkswagen Bluesport and a Porsche version are still on track for production.

The three brands will all build their own version of the car, but the essential two-seat, mid-engine platform will be shared. Instead the cars will differentiate themselves with unique interior layouts, disparate styling, bespoke powertrains and, of course, big price differentials. As a result of the collaboration with Porsche, it’s possible the Audi and VW cars will be underpinned by some components from the next-generation Porsche Boxster.

We know the most about the R4, a sort of baby R8 which will slot between the TT and the R8 in Audi’s lineup. Its styling will be drawn heavily from that previewed by the Audi e-tron concepts. Although it will be about the same size as the minute Mazda MX-5, the R4 will likely be more expensive than equivalent trims of the front-engine TT.

Autocar says two new engines are under consideration for the R4. The first is an updated version of the current turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four that pervades the VW/Audi lineup. It will reportedly receive variable valve timing and valve-lift control, helping it produce at least 230 hp and possibly as much as 280 hp. There may also be a variant of the turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-five used by the Audi TT RS and RS3 Sportback, modified for a scorching 350 hp. A diesel version, as well as a full-electric model, may arrive at a later date.

Volkswagen’s iteration of the convertible platform will be called the Bluesport, and may sacrifice some performance in favor of more efficiency. We learned that VW had green-lit the car for production in summer 2010. It will be the cheapest version of the roadster trio, and will probably be priced to compete directly with Mazda’s MX-5.

An earlier Bluesport concept used a 2.0-liter turbodiesel, returning up to 55 mpg and hitting 60 mph in 6.2 seconds. The production model will probably offer small turbocharged inline-four engines, possibly a 1.4- or 1.8- liter model with 170 to 200 hp. Technology like engine stop-start and regenerative braking is also sure to be fitted in order to make the Bluesport a frugal, eco-friendly roadster.

As we had long expected, Autocar says Porsche is planning their own small roadster based on the same mid-engine platform as the R4 and Bluesport. It will serve as an entry model to the Porsche brand, meaning it’s to be marginally cheaper and less powerful than the Boxster. Porsche is reportedly considering the name 550, a reference to the brand’s 550 Spyder of yore. The engine could be a new turbocharged flat-four making up to 380 hp — such an engine is reportedly in the works for the next-generation Boxster.

We’re still probably a few years away from the introduction of any of these new convertibles, but we’re excited about the proposed mid-engine layout and variety of powertrains. The availability of three different models from Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen means that customers in every tax bracket should be able to afford one of these sporty roadsters. The only remaining unknown is whether all three cars are coming to the U.S. market.
On again, off again, on again, will they ever make up their mind? I still think rebranding this as a baby Boxster is a bad idea for Porsche, but affordable roadsters are a good thing for consumers in general, and it may fit in well in Audi's lineup.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cream_Filling posted:

Where the hell will these things slot in? And by what standard are they "affordable"?

[edit]
By contrast, the so-called standard for "affordable" imported mid-engine roadsters was the 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, which cost $25k in 2005, which is $29k in 2011 dollars. So I guess it's not too outrageous...
The VW Bluesport is expected to be priced to compete against the MX-5; the Audi and Porsche models... won't.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Jork Juggler posted:

Motor Trend had a race driver take a new Boss 302 for a few laps at Laguna Seca. It did a 1:40.2. For comparison, a '10 GT500 clocked 1:44.3, a '09 BMW M3 did 1:42.9, and a '10 Audi R8 did 1:40.8. I think Ford has perfected the live axle if their 4-passenger $41k car beats a mid-engined near-supercar around Laguna Seca.
What type tires and what skill level drivers of those cars?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SwashedBuckles posted:

From what I can remember of the article it was a professional driver, but I can't remember if they tried to match the tires between the two. Their main point seemed to be that you could have the track performance of an M3 for half the cost.
It's tough to compare lap times without knowing more. The Boss 302 was almost certainly driven by a professional driver for Motor Trend, and quite likely on r-comps and track prepped. For all we know, the R8 time was the owner taking it for a spin on street tires at door-jamb pressures and street alignment. Or do we know more about that run?

I don't think there's any question the Mustang will be more bang for the buck, but without knowing more, it's still tough to say which bang is bigger.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 10, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
That is just simply awesome. I home it gets cheap enough to use as a portable generator.

In other news:

Reuters posted:

Porsche Reveals More Details About the All-Electric Boxster E
by Andrew Meggison

More information has been shared by Porsche about their prototype eclectic cars and the best news is they are being tested out on the roads today.

The Porsche electric prototype cars are being used as part of the government-funded "Model Region Electro-Mobility Stuttgart", which is a large-scale trial to study the everyday reasonableness of using all-electric vehicles. Of the three Porsche Boxster E electric prototypes two of the cars are rear-wheel drive (RWD) and one is all-wheel drive (AWD).

The AWD model uses two independent electric motors. These two electric motors act on the front and rear axles creating a combined output of 241 HP and a maximum total torque of 398 lb-ft at around 12,000 rpm. The company says the AWD model can go from zero to sixty in about 5.5 seconds and reaches a top speed of 124 mph.

By comparison the two RWD prototypes can go from zero to sixty in about 9.8 seconds and have a top speed of 93 mph. The RWD prototypes do away with the motor on the front axle and use the rear unit that delivers 121 HP and 199 lb-ft of torque.

The Boxster E prototypes come with a 29kWh lithium iron phosphate battery. The battery has a driving range of 107 miles and will take about 9 hours to charge however a fast charge option will be available. Boxster E prototypes weigh around 3,527 pounds, the battery weighing in alone at 752 pounds.

Porsche claims that the storage in the rear of the cars remains unchanged from other models and that there is even space in the front storage compartment. Additionally, both RWD and AWD models are equipped with Active Sound Design systems that give the diver acoustic feedback and doubles as sound to alert pedestrians and other drivers of the cars presence. Active Sound Design has been used on some BMW models to create a nice sporty sound of a V8 as opposed to a near silent run. An Active Sound Design system uses a series of microphones, signal processing, and the vehicles stereo system to emulate the sound of a motor.

While these prototype cars might not be winning any races, it is nice to see that Porsche is embracing all electric vehicles. As for when a polished and quick all electric Porsche Boxster E will be available to purchasers, the company is not saying.
I was actually excited about this, but I'm really disappointed in the specs. 3500lbs for 107 miles range? And that's probably city driving. How far at at 155mph, I wonder, could it even make it the whole way around the 'ring at top speed?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I'm still confused as to why these makers would be peak-shaving the torque curve to artificially limit power. Wouldn't MORE TORQUE be even better than an artificially low-but-flat torque curve?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sir Tonk posted:

You must be the target audience for Porsche's new ad campaign.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=wKENJ5sR42k
That link doesn't work, but I'm guessing you're on your phone and meant to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Lq3mHgNOI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cakefool posted:

How many of those have all seven seats filled with live humans at any point?
We've had 7 in our 4Runner a bunch of times. And 6 quite frequently. It's nice to not have to take 2 cars.