Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

bull3964 posted:

On the surface, quick replaceable batteries sound like a great solution, but consider the logistics.

I'm not talking about the actual physical swap, I'm talking about vehicle throughput. How many cars does a moderately busy gas station see in an hour? Even using the 45 minute quickcharge at 480 volts, will they realistically be able to keep up with traffic?

How many batteries can they quickcharge at once before the station requires commercial power on the scale of a small factory?

Granted, station demand should be lessened by people charging at home. However, it's still going to require some pretty significant upgrades to the power grid and some creative thinking to handle traffic.
How many times would the average commuter need to "refuel" if they could make it to work and back home on a charge? I think we'd see far fewer stopping for a charge than for gas. Major highways at holidays would be a different story, though...

Of course, there is a practical solution, but it rather defeats the purpose.

grover fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

bull3964 posted:

Total daily consumption isn't so much an issue as point in time load.

Say a medium size station is simultaneously quick charging 30 Tesla S batteries.

That's 30 480v 3 phase 100 amp circuits at a constant 80 amp power draw.

What is required to supply that?
2MW, so you're looking at probably a 3MVA transformer, which is MASSIVE for a service transformer, they don't come much larger than that with 480V secondaries.

The problem isn't going to be service stations, though. It would be an investment, sure, but power can be relatively easily upgraded. The problem is going to be the residential grid; homes just don't draw all that much current right now, so the infrastructure is pretty light. The national average is 1000kWh/month, which works out to an average consumption of 6 Amps. If you start putting in 240V chargers in every garage, when everyone gets home from work and plugs there cars in simultaneously, load on the residential grid will literally double. Sure, they can put in meters that charge exorbitant prices for charging at peak hours to force people to charge their cars overnight (kinda like what they're doing already in California), but the increase in load is simply too high to sustain, and it's going to cost the utility companies poo poo-tons of money to upgrade all that undersized infrastructure and build new power plants, and those costs are going to be passed along to us.

Case in point: distribution transformers that step line voltage down to 120V are typically 50kVA (208A @ 240V) and feed 5 or so homes. If each home was drawing 15A of "normal" early evening load with the AC running and laundry drying and dinner cooking and hot water heater warming and all the TVs on, and then you add two cars plugged into 30A chargers in every garage, that's about 90kVA of power through the 50kVA transformer. They're going to be popping left and right, and oh by the way, not only are you out of power for 2 or 3 days while the POCO replaces it, you can't charge your cars to get to work, either.

So, yeah, I'm not keen on EV-only, but I think plug-in hybrid is actually a really good idea.

grover fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 2, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Skyssx posted:

Grid tie solar. If you're not trying to get it *right now*, you're just uninformed. With government subsidies, you can pay back a grid tie array in 5ish years.
Grid-tie solar offsets some energy (less coal or natural gas burned), but doesn't help the infrastructure issues; you still need 100% distribution and power plant capacity to provide power on cloudy days. If power companies sell less electricity through the lines, they'll raise rates to offset the infrastructure cost and it would still be a wash. Also, the new peak is going to be in the afternoon/evening when people want to charge their cars, which isn't the mid-day peak we see right now with air conditioning.

Also, I think the federal solar subsidies just expired. And there were only a few geographic areas where solar made actual financial sense even then.

Edit: we should probably stop this derail before sigtrap gets angry.

grover fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 2, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
FYI, there's a wikipedia page with all the nurburgring times. Radical SR8 LM has the street legal production car record at 6:48, nearly a full minute faster. A non-road-legal Zonda R did it in 6:47.50 (video!). The ZL1 is nowhere near the 7:20ish top times for GTR, Z06, ZR1 and Viper ACR. I always have to wonder what mods had been made and what tires all those cars were running, though.

There's also a page with Top Gear track times.

grover fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 7, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone with that kind of outlay for track days can afford a tow rig.
It shouldn't count as a street legal production car if you don't drive it to the track. :colbert:

600+hp in an affordable car is still awesome, though, no matter how fast it drives around the ring. These cars were never meant for the twisties anyhow; the real question is: what's the 1/4 mile time?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Dr JonboyG posted:

Oh, and the SR8 that set that time was driven to the track. From the UK. Evo wrote it up as a feature back when it happened.
See, THAT is the real loving deal right there! Was even run on the same Dunlop Direzza semi-slick tires they drove to the 'ring from UK on.

Evo article

grover fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 7, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

angryhampster posted:

It's also a twin turbo V6 with 420HP.

What an incredible car. I hope to god Cadillac produces it. They need an over the top flagship luxocar.
So, it would have appx the same power:weight ratio as a Dodge Neon?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cakefool posted:

One thing you may be forgetting about the 2+2 arrangement its that in some markets, a 2-seater is far more expensive to insure than a 4-seater, even if the +2 is a token padded shelf.
From what my insurance agent says, this is driven not so much by the car, but by the market segment that buys it. The insurance agents have become expert at all sorts of statistics-based prejudice. For instance, it would have cost more for me to get liability insurance on a (4-seat) Civic or STI than a 2-seat Porsche because the Porsche driver is, statistically, less likely to get into an accident.

The FT-86 isn't going to be driven by soccer dads, it's going to be driven, in large part, by aggressive drivers through a wide range of demographics. If it lives up to the hype, it's going to be relatively costly to insure, no matter if it has 2 seats or 4.

KozmoNaut posted:

Denmark. The cheapest 1.8 Miata is ~$70K.
Ouch! That's almost singapore-bad. Any way you could buy it in another country and drive it home without the massive mark-up?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
It seems Chevy Volts are spontaneously combusting, including one used in NHTSA crash tests that burst into flames three weeks after the crash test. Makes it 4 fires so far attributed to Volts or Volt chargers.

Video here, I couldn't find a good text link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...pm_business_vid

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

warcake posted:

How wide are these in mm?

Because i got new wheels for my car and thought they were pretty wide 225, but my co workers jetta has 225's all round from the factory?
Surely there is no reason for tyre width to be increasing like this, it seems like the newer cars are, the wider tyres they fit to them?

Oh its style right?
I don't think it's so much that cars are coming with wider tires because they're new, but that new cars are coming with wider tires because they're heavier, and wider tires are needed to maintain a safe level of performance. It's a rather complicated explanation on why wider tires grip better, but sufficed to say that the shape of the contact patch wider tires offer deal much better with high slip angles than narrow tires, even when tire pressures are the same and the contact patch has the same physical area.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Dracon Wolf posted:

I am buying the crap out of this car as soon as it is available. My wife wants to get rid of her Explorer and wants my Mazda 6. I like the 6 but I want something with a bit more room, a bit more power, and more tech options. This with a 2.0 eco-boost will fit the bill absolutely perfectly. The only thing I'd prefer more

This article makes me want it even more. Sounds like Ford hit a home run with this one.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/detroit/2012/1201_2013_ford_fusion/index.html
I put about 300 miles on a rental Fusion earlier this week, and was quite impressed with the car. Had good power and handled way nicer than I was expecting. I was tossing it into the twisties by the 2nd day with cofidence; even stopped dead at one point to get some open road between the truck in front of me, which is not something I often do with cars like this. If I were to buy a 4-seat family car right now... I'd buy a Shelby GT500. No matter how much they improve it, a Fusion is still a boring fwd family sedan.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

Cool, so money is no object for you.
Shoot, if price was no object, I'd get a Scaglietti. Fusion's a nice car, but 650hp is an arm-twisting amout of power! Sure, GT500 is no budget compact, but really not that expensive; if '13 pricing is close to this years' $49k, you could nearly buy a GT500 *and* a Fusion for the cost of an Escalade. If I had a $25k budget, I'd much sooner buy a used GT500 than a new Fusion.

Overall, I did really like the Fusion (was a '11, I think), but one complaint I had was tire spin. My last 3 cars have been RWD and in the short time I was driving it, I just couldn't get used to not being able to quickly ease onto full throttle to plant the car. I even got wheel spin in 2nd gear a few times when trying to pass slow drivers. Was frustrating knowing this car had a good engine but couldn't put it to ground, and ruined some of the fun. On the upside, though, the trunk was massive. Almost too big; my samsonite suitcase was clunking around like a loving pinball in the twisties, and ended up smashing up one of the corners of it pretty good. Cargo net would probably fix that. Oh, also, I didn't like the cupholders and the "passenger airbag disabled" light when my laptop bag was on the passenger seat was overly bright and very distracting at night.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InitialDave posted:

I'm firmly in the camp of "Nice idea, well executed, should've waited for the new NSX".
That was my thought as well. Well done, but with the wrong car.

What's with the trend lately with manufacturers of decidedly non-performance cars trying to play them off like they're high performance? I mean, are any owners actually going to drift their FWD Mercedes? Are we merely seeing a last-ditch effort of car companies trying to stave off the stigma that's caused entire generations to swear they will never ever ever buy a station wagon, minivan or SUV?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait what MBs are fwd other than the hideous little A and B class which we don't even get here
I thought the C-class was FWD, but I was mistaken. Still, not exactly the most common car on the drift circuit.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
The saddest part is that the Ferrari in Ferris Bueller was a body kit on an MG :(

poo poo, that's the commercial I was actually thinking about but got it confused with the Mercedes.

Why did they cut it off early and miss half the 2nd half of the spin?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

davebo posted:

Speaking of Chevy liftbacks, I don't understand why they didn't do that with the new Camaro. The trunk is pretty useless not because of the space inside but the actual opening.

man, it's pretty sad when your trunk is less useable than the trunk on a Lamborghini.

At least it looks like you could get few bags of groceries into that trunk, which is more than you can say for the Solstice...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

JingleBells posted:

Chris Harris is liveblogging the launch of the new BMW M550d, three turbos, 381hp, 465lb ft :awesome:

Sadly it's not coming to the UK :(

Shame it's 4300lbs :(

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Automakers already complain that the millennial generation isn't buying and that they care more about their cellphones than driving. I guess they're right because driving for most people terrible and tedious; getting stuck in traffic, going to walmart and getting hosed at the dealer when buying or servicing a car. Not to mention that anything having to do with cars (roads, highways, gas stations etc) is dirty, ugly and depressing.
It's a shame there's no way for car-to-car communications to tell someone to STOP TEXTING BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE, JESUS CHRIST!

The tedium is in large part due to low speed limits, IMHO. Crawl along at 55mph, and it's tempting as hell to try to do something else to stay sane. On the other hand, someone driving 150 is going to be giving 100% full attention to driving, and not screwing around with their phone. That driver will only spend 1/3 as much time on the road, reducing congestion in the process. *And* gets home sooner, and it thus able to spend even more time on their phone/whatever than if they'd have tried to do it while driving in traffic. Automakers would sell tons more cars, too, as people upgrade from their rolling roadblocks to cars able to cut their commute time in half. It's win-win all around!

grover fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 2, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InitialDave posted:

It's not too hard to find a CB with an external speaker output...
Is it legal to shine a laser pointer on their phone and wag it around as a reminder?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Throatwarbler posted:

I loving hate children.

Here's a video of the BMW tri-turbo system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vQpR2jMcQ
Wow. That's going to be a bitch to repair when it inevitably breaks, though.

Hashal posted:

In the spirit of the thread, is it kosher to talk about what we would like to see in new cars and vehicles? I can see vehicle computers being the next big computer boom. With the efficiency that computers have achieved today, realtime monitoring of virtually all components could be achievable in the near future. I'd love to see real time, real information, from my car, from the factory. Modern screens that give you all the information you need to take care of your car. They will tell you whats wrong, what parts are needed, tools needed, the average repair cost in a range, closest mechanic, your wife's grocery list, etc.
Pretty inexcusable that in this day and age, you still need an OBDII reader to tell you what turned on the CEL; something that important should be blazing in plain english on the dash. You're never going to see repair manuals built into the car, though; they don't want you to fix it yourself, they want to you to come back to the dealer so they can charge you $150/hr.

grover fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 3, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MrChips posted:

Because electronics change so fast that in five years, things like iPod/iPhone integration will seem as obsolete as a built-in car phone is today.
Manufacturers don't care how obsolete their cars seem on the used market 5 years from now, they just want to sell new cars today. In fact, the worse the obsolescence, the better, because that's more incentive for consumers to buy new cars.

Ergo, new cars get iphone jacks.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Are any of those Chinese knock-off cars going to be sold outside of China?

VikingSkull posted:

I think it's hilarious a trend that started because people left hot rods in primer to concentrate on the go-fast part has evolved into "oh no my matte paint is dirty what ever shall I do?"

Good god allmighty.
At least it's not as what evolved from people emulating weekend racers cranking a couple degrees of negative camber. Or when supercars moved to bigger wheels to accommodate massive brakes. Somewhere along the way, the real point was entirely lost.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

davebo posted:

So far I've only filled up the tank once and I got a bit over 25mpg. That was actually mostly highway driving, although a bit was bumper to bumper traffic on the highway and the rest was up and down the Appalachian mountains at 80+. People on optimaforums.com (ugh, makes me appreciate AI so much,) say they get about 30mpg on the highway as opposed to the 32 it claims, but Motor Trend confirms they got just over the stated 22mpg city, and gained about 1.5mpg with ECO mode turned on. A note about the eco mode, it's fine when you're driving around in traffic, doesn't do a whole lot on the highway, and if you floor it the car automatically drops out of eco mode temporarily so the main hassle is just a bunch of auto gear shifting to save gas. I've mainly left it off and I think next time I fill up I'll just do a whole tank with it on and see if I notice a difference.
Is "eco mode" just a fancy term for a locked torque converter? I had a Kia Soul for a rental last week and really liked the car, but the bright green ECO light constantly flicking on/off was distracting as hell.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Local dealership has an Audi R8 GT Spyder, one of only 50 in the US, which looks simply incredible in person. Not sure exactly what they did to justify the price difference over the normal R8 Spyder ($232k vs $154k) besides ~40hp, but EPA says it gets better mileage- 13 city as opposed to 12! Must be all the carbon fiber. I must say, though, it's refreshing to see carbon fiber all over a car... and know it's actual carbon fiber. Was a bit disappointing that the same dealer that tosses me the keys to a $125k 911 GTS and says "have fun!" wouldn't even let me sit in it, letalone take it for a spin. Guess they're a bit paranoid. They even had the loving windows rolled up to keep people from leaning in.

I took a slew of photos, but my smartphone (which locked up and needed a reboot a few minutes later) apparently saved every single one as a 0kb blank file. So, enjoy some stock photos off the web.

grover fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 15, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
It would be nice if all these sporty cheap little economy cars were actually sporty. Instead of throwing a body kit on an elentra and calling it a day.

Is the new Dart a neon with a body kit, or is there more to it?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

oRenj9 posted:

The Multiair 1.4L gets 39 MPG and makes 160hp/184ft lbs, which is pretty respectable for a car that is first and foremost an economy car. Those power figures are north of the Elantra you mentioned as well as offering a six-speed manual or a clutched automatic. They are also comparable to the Focus, but with better torque and economy figures.

I'm not sure how it handles, but on paper, it seems to be a very sport offering relative to its peers.
A friend of mine has a Veloster. He said the suspension came straight off the elantra, and is super-soft with lots of roll, but he liked it because it's comfortable on the crappy quality roads around here. 160hp isn't completely anemic, but isn't exactly rockin' with power, either. It may look like a sports car, but it isn't. Which is the feeling I get from a lot of cars these days, including many that feature drifting in TV ads.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you bothered to do any research at all you would know that it's the same platform as the Giulietta.
That's.... not really any better.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KozmoNaut posted:

Competent well-handling small car platform with a perky engine and good gas mileage.

What's not to like?
No, that's what I want to see. Instead, we got a Giulietta that's larger and heavier and with softened suspension. There are worse cars out there, for sure, but is it too much to hope for the manufacturers to roll out actual light weight compact sporty cars with perky engines? Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I'd love to see more manufacturers come out with small sporty cars like the Miata and BRZ/FR-S, but with inexpensive powerful engines like you can get on a $23 Mustang. Is that too much to hope for? Or will we forever be given econoboxes with body kits?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Keyser S0ze posted:

911 (997) DIY'ers over on Rennlist are freaking out about that. It looks a good 30 min and some air tools just to get to the filters. Sweet spot for a 911 (if you can swing it) is still a 2009 C2S.
Fortunately, it only needs to be changed every 40,000 miles, but it still seems rather asinine to bury an air filter that deep.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MetaJew posted:

You just wait. There will be a FWD BMW in our lifetime.
80% of BMW 1-series owners already think they do.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/1-series-owners-think-its-fwd

Autocar posted:

Four out of five BMW 1-series drivers think their car is front-wheel drive, according to the firm’s CEO Norbert Reithofer.

Reithofer revealed the statistic in a conference call to journalists following the announcement of BMW’s financial results. He admitted the company found the 1-series survey results to be “quite a surprise”.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Un-l337-Pork posted:

That Porsche 991 engine teardown video is nuts. On the one hand, I can understand why people might be pissed that they can't work on it themselves, but on the other hand, it seems so high-tech that most DIYers would just gently caress it up. If the engine really is as high performance as that engine bay looks, it's probably better to leave it to the pros. There's nothing preventing you from doing it yourself, though. Yea, it's a pain in the rear end, but I thought that was the norm for high-end cars these days.
Porsche is not building the 991 for shadetree mechanics. They're building it for people who can afford to drop $100k+ on a car. They're also people who already routinely pay $600 for an oil change, argue online about whether you should wash/wax your own car or leave it to the professionals, and whom Porsche actively *wants* to get them back into the dealership for servicing because what do Porsche owners do when they're stuck at the service center for an hour or two? They look at new Porsches. And if they've just put 40k miles on a 991 and are willing to pay insanely expensive dealer prices for the 40k servicing, there's a good chance they're willing to shell out a lot of money for a newer model.

Great for their business model, sucks for the rest of us.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 23, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

BoostCreep posted:

Also most FWD cars come with economy tires and an open differential. Knowing BMW, there will probably be a lot of tricky technology going into getting the power to the ground.

There have been good FWD cars with power though:

Which was 4 seconds faster around Nordschleife than the BMW 335i coupe, by coincidence, and only .8 seconds slower than an E46 M3.
Here's (low-res) video of that lap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwJVnWHjiI

grover fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 24, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Enough about citycars, it's time to talk about new practical hybrid-electric vehicles, like the Porsche 918, of which a new very-near-production prototype just surfaced on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cm4cfoltmI

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Devyl posted:

Safety crashes or fuel economy are SOOO last year. Chevy's new COPO Camaro has officially rolled out:

Shopping list of standard parts.

With a quarter-mile time of 8.88 @ 142.9, it definitely smacks the Ford Mustang Cobra Jet around some.
3175lbs? Goddamn, that's light for a late model Camaro, especially one with so much power. And that's with a cage, too.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
A new 991 GT3 has been spotted; looks and sounds fantastic, and apparently has a PDK transmission. Rumor has it that the engine has been pushed forward and is close to being, technically, mid-engine.

http://www.porscheboost.com/content.php?2710-Latest-2013-991-GT3-spy-video-confirms-PDK-dual-clutch-transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lths5glvPQo

grover fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 3, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
In that Chevy SS article:

MotorAuthority posted:

Note, a racing version of the car will also compete in next year’s NASCAR Sprint Cup season as the replacement for the Impala.
Ah, for the days where this may have been actually true and not just meaningless hyperbole.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

How do they move the motor relative to the transmission? Redesign the bellhousing?
For a test mule, I really doubt they'd go that far. The only reasonable way they'd be able to get the engine forward of the rear axle would be to flip it ala Cayman, and it sure doesn't look like that. I'm chocking this up to unsubstantiated internet rumors, but it's not outside of the laws of physics or anything.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

travisray2004 posted:

New Ruf model?
Ruf's developing an NA V8 991, actually.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

travisray2004 posted:

:fap:

Maybe it's the Porsche dickrider in me but Rufs are some of the best looking cars ever made in my eyes.
On top of that, Ruf says the 550hp 4.5L V8 they're developing will be lighter and have a lower center of gravity than the stock flat 6, which is amazing. There's talk of a 900hp turbocharged version as well, but I don't think any of that talk is coming from Ruf, just speculation. This isn't the final incarnation, as they're still sorting it out, but it's a pretty good preview:

Some good videos of a walk-around the Geneva showcar on Ruf's website:
http://www.ruf-automobile.de/en/en-aktuelles-news.php

grover fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
The first car company that can make a desirable sporty minivan will make a fortune.