Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

DogDodger posted:

Very hot car, but no manual makes me sad. I also wonder how they're going to deal with carbon buildup issues in this car, or if they have anything at all planned to alleviate the problem.

This is another case of I'd love an Audi, BUT...

They don't bring some of their best models here, and they have ongoing mechanical and electrical problems in each of their models all the way up to the present 4.2 TFSI. Is it faster than the M3? No (190 MPH). Is it quicker to 60? Yeah. The most important question is, will it be in the shop for a couple months in 20000 miles? Unfortunately, probably.

Edit: I really do like all German cars, but after having had 2 lemons and a roommate that took his A4 in for warranty work 27 times before the CVT finally shredded itself (out of warranty) I just couldn't bring myself to own one unless it was a lease and I had other cars.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Yummers posted:

Yeah whatever..you don't know wtf you're talking about but go ahead and keep thinking you do. Before getting my car I drove an 05 Civic LX sedan so I am acutely aware of how people treated me before and after. I bought the car for performance and to get some respect and breathing room on public roads. I only like to talk about my car in terms of performance, maintenance and detailing with other car people. That was the whole point of my mini rant...to shine a light on people who dig cars for pretentious reasons. And what was the point of your response anyways. I could care less what you think of my "two box" luxury car. I'm not fishing for compliments...but when just about everyone looks and then looks twice when I drive by,my opinion coming from a strictly observational place is that my car is "flashy".

Way to obsess over your "two box" luxury car. Admit it, the reason you bought the IS-F over a real sports car is you still gotta take grandma to the doctor and Koi Palace for dim sum on Sundays. No M3 or C63 for you, those hurt nana's back!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

PBCrunch posted:

The M3 is also powered by a DOHC V-8.

I would also be mad if someone asked to open a beer in my car. Open container laws are a bitch. The whining about someone drinking a beer near his car is ridiculous though.

If it was an American car people were drinking beers near it on the assembly line amirite?

Yup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmKyJXHXRE

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Open containers too! Goddamn that was a fun weekend.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The Euro-wankery makes sense if you think about how cars are equipped here. You're far more likely to encounter what's an entirely utilitarian boat over in the US here having actual power and sport baked into the package. I think that's where the whole thing comes from, this idea that you'll get a Q-ship with the right option box.

Let me dispel that rumor now, the cars they sell here are 99% compromised misery machines. Just because there are people who say the words "VW GTD" doesn't mean there's a magical Diesel VW we Americans can't get. It just means someone is kidding themselves. The other 1% are interesting cars almost exclusively owned by rich/semi-rich people.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in US terms, 160HP is not a lot for a mid-size car. It is here.

Exactly - I mean this is one of the bigger overall reasons I'm moving back to the US - a mid-size rental shitcan starts at 170hp (Pontiac G6, for example) and realistically you're looking at the 200+hp variants for a mere $8 a day.

Here in the UK a 420bhp engine is SHOCKING EXTRAVAGANCE and everyone oohs and aahs at your MPG that would make your average American SUV owner happy. That said I can understand why people here like cars like this. Yes the M3 is the hairy-chested monster capable of 200MPH (indicated, with light mods, see avatar) but driving the damned thing across Europe you begin to wish for something that either had a 200L tank or a Diesel.

That's where cars like the M550d start to make sense. Our own hello_spaceman made a great article about the car and I really think it captures the essence of what it's like to drive in modern Europe. Sure you can crack the 200 barrier, but at that rate you're making GPM instead of MPG, and after the 6th fillup of the day it gets pretty annoying. Cars in the UK and the EU really do need that extra efficiency gained by these "sporty diesels" and being able to haul 'arse' for long periods is really nice. I was inspired by stories of Piech driving to work but honestly that's for a very few - my fuel bill for going to Le Mans, Rheims, Freigburg, Munich and back to London was about €700. That's a shitload of money for a trip that doesn't include the Nurburgring, and when you're being paid non-American wages, that hurts.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

dissss posted:

On the other hand you can lease a Megane diesel with 130HP and feel like king of the road through much of Europe because most people are driving smaller and less powerful cars.

Until the illusion is ruined by some arsehole German in Q7 driving at autobahn speeds on the French autoroutes

There is no good reason for a speed limit on those beautiful French motorways :colbert:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
60k for that thing? I know 580hp and all but that seems dangerously apt for serious depreciation :psyduck:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Keyser S0ze posted:

Paint that beast black, number it "666" and put "DEATHWAGON" on it along with some angry teeth and someones head. owns

So a frat destroyed a Continental to make that thing :ughh:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My favorite example for cars like this is California. The LA metro area has about 14 million people in it these days, and commutes can range from just a few miles to more than 50, or further if you live out in places like Woodland Hills or Orange county. If I live in the SF Bay Area and have a commute, chances are good I'm commuting to Silicon Valley from somewhere up north, which means that theoretically-possible 90 mile range is likely inadequate for a commute. Then again, if you work in the Valley, you probably have a bunch of hippie poo poo like electric car charging stations at work. Realistically you probably have 2 or 3 if you're working at a smaller company like Trend, or as many as 10 if you work at say, Intuit.

It sure is gonna suck when you find out someone else came to work with an electric car and took that last charging station, though.

IIRC before the electric car thread got gassed we'd kind of come to the conclusion that until range or fueling was fixed, we'd have a hard time finding a place for the electric car.

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm waiting for the Segway Turbo S myself for city commuting.

Also: I see more loving SHITHEADS (driving way over the speed limit and swerving around lane cutting, tailgating and not bothering using turn signals) in shitbox cars and giant Pickup trucks/SUV's than anything else. :argh: :commissar:

I wish the CHP and police would yank these shitheads over and do roadside executions as opposed to setting up easy honey trap drift nets and pulling over people going 66 mph in a 65 in a rental car.

Also my mother is 64 and goes the speed limit so please don't run her off the road when she's already in the loving slow lane you tweaker goons. :rolleyes:

The CHP is nothing but a mobile revenue collection and cleanup team. gently caress them and their lovely LIDAR guns that don't know they're being jammed too.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 11, 2012

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

EVERYONE who drives fast like a normal person should have a V1. Likewise, everyone who does this in CA should have a LIDAR jammer. If you're a pansy/uncle was a cop/like wasting money or are a true speed criminal in CA, then donate to the 11-99 Foundation.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

letgomyAgo posted:

Not sure about America, but in Canada we have Right to Repair. More or less says independant repair shops will have access to software to diagnose and repair cars. In practice, dealers still don't release their specialty tools or diagnostics for purchase.

Not the case in the UK - and do they ever redefine stealership here. $500 for an oil change? why not, because warranty!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question for the people who actually paid attention in school: Is there any reason a battery can't simply have a liquid exchange take place at a fueling station? Exchanging a liquid in a depleted chemical state for a recharged one, then re-charging the depleted liquid? That would solve this whole charging time problem.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Linedance posted:

Sorry, Jaguar already beat you to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_C-X75

And then decided not to build it because everyone is poor.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/jaguar-c-x75-will-not-be-produced-2012-12-11

The project did generate a lot of patents though, so their investment could come good for them in the long run.

That's the first really awesome hybrid I've seen. Imagine the sound that thing makes with the turbines spooled, and 778hp hitting the wheels.

Similarly, I hope that we do see meaningful alternatives soon because I would prefer that fossil fuel be for "classic" cars and the awesome cars we're seeing now in the second horsepower war. That way when we're all :bahgawd: and such we can entertain our grandkids with our old explosion powered cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I feel like I should pop in here to say that I love the viper because it's awesome and would still own it even if I needed a new engine every 5000 miles (although I'd buy a DD, which I still might do.)