Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to buy one. Not this one, anyway.

Prices for electric cars will drop when volume blah blah you get the idea. Maybe in 15 years I can buy something with the looks and performance of a Tesla Roadster, but with better battery life and shorter charge-time, for $30k. Anything that brings that day closer is a good thing.

I got excited when I first heard about the Leaf, then I saw it. I've heard there's going to be an BEV Ford Focus coming out soon as well, but I haven't heard many details on it yet. But in a years time if we have the option to get a fully battery electric vehicle from Nissan and Ford I'll be really happy about the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Which set are the headlights?

One set is the low beams and the other set is the high beams. DUH.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

decahedron posted:

The two forty has a top speed of 150mph - how many tracks have areas that you get up to more than 150 on?

Okay, lets say there's not many tracks where you can get up to a high top speed. The Lotus could still use more power and there are times where it suffers from it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Not news exactly, but I've seen the Transit Connect a lot around Boston. I'm glad it's been popular with people who need small work vans.

That's cool. I'm kinda wanting one. I think it would make a really good camping/bicycle hauling vehicle. Plus unlike the Honda Element and similar vehicles I could fit a motorcycle and associated tools in back. The thing I wonder about the engine is since its based on the same four cylinder that's in the Ford Focus will the hop ups from one carry over to the other?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The TC is neat but it has a difficult time even unladen on the freeway so I wouldn't dare trying to drive it with a motorcycle and tools in the back.

Great for urban areas, though.

Car and Driver did a article on just that hauling a motorcycle and tools from NYC to Alabama and back. For your reading:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q1/2010_ford_transit_connect-feature_test

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Apparently there are already some modified examples out there, so I would imagine everything would work.

It's a pity it's bad on the highway - I know a guy with a VW Eurovan that is absolutely fantastic at highway speeds, and I would have figured a Euro-descended Ford van to be at least as stable.

From the Car and Driver article it sounds like the Transit Connect is okay on the highway.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

I don't know if this counts as a new car per se, but it is a new car for Tim Lynch. Apparently Tim and crew at Proline are having Skinny Kid Race Cars build them a Z06 for Outlaw 10.5 racing.

That's a 670ci (10.9 liters for you heathens) all aluminum engine sitting between the frame rails. When it is finished it will be wearing twin 106mm turbos. Their old car made 3500hp at 32psi on a 620ci engine with twin 91mm turbos. They have tested that engine up to 40psi and found that every 2psi adds 150hp. If they can get the new car to hook at 40psi they may break into the 5s in the 1/4 mile. They ran a 6.53 @ 231 with 32psi with their old combination.

That's awesome and all but I think it would go better in the "post the aiest pictures you got" thread.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

rscott posted:

7 grand for a set of 4 rims isn't actually all that out there on cars in that price range. A set of 4 wheels on some Ferrari models can be twice as much.

I think that's too much money for what you get.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Ugly, too expensive, and only marginally better performing than the 2011 Mustang. I can think of a lot better things to spend $150k on.

You know, the factual point about it being marginally better and a lot more expensive I agree with. Years ago I may have agreed with the idea of going with the Mustang over the M3 but now I think there is something to be said about how a vehicle goes about getting those numbers. Maybe the M3 just feels better to drive. That special edition may not be worth what they ask but the choice between the regular M3 and the Mustang may be harder.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bidikyoopi posted:

Australian track special. $80k, Ducati 1198 engine in a 300kg space frame and carbon fiber tub. Atom, X-Bow, Caterham 7, and now this, the bantamweight segment is growing.

It pisses me off how overpriced some of those cars in that segment are. Ariel and Caterham I'm looking at you.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I could live with the styling for the most part, but I think there's two things wrong:
- the car culture norm of today doesn't allow much market for a true Beetle-like vehicle -- a no-frills, super cheap car.
- that the design is so desperately trying to visually harken back to the original, and yet still failing miserably. That C-pillar is pure style and no function, for example.

You know, I wonder if car consumers wouldn't go for a cheap no frills car if all the car review media didn't immediately poo poo on the car. I think for the most part, once people are shopping for a cheap car their number one concern is reliability. Their are plenty of cheap no frills reliable cars that have come and gone that may have not done that great BUT the thing is when the average shopper of a car starts to try and research one of this stripped out models only thing they're going to see is "this car sucks omg" and they will stop there. They won't bother reading further to find out the reviewer says the car sucks because it still has crank windows. In my own world that is.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Screw you haters, I would drive it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

We'll have to see how much the FT-86 weighs. Power-wise, it's obviously outgunned by both the Genesis and the V6 stang, but maybe it'll be noticeably lighter. I just can't wait for all the guys who've been bemoaning the lack of a light, low powered RWD sports coupe to not buy the thing.

The thing is if they do release a low powered rwd coupe they need to price it accordingly. Not in low $20k range which is what is going to happen.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Depends on their sales targets and how much they want to scale up this initial model. There's no way in the first year that it can touch the sales of the Mustang, so they'll need to recoup some of the costs of developing this new platform. Even if it's RWD, I don't see it being sold for much cheaper than a Scion tC, which Toyota is probably thinking about replacing.

If Toyota sold it at Scion tC prices, and the thing made an honest 180 hp like the tC and weighed less than 3300lbs I would be so happy.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Omegaslast posted:

Really..? 3300 lbs is really not that light. My 99 GT weighs less than that and it makes 260hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque. Maybe if the FT86 came out in 1999 at 3000~ lbs with 180hp it would be a good car. now? not so much.

Yeah but your 99 Gt is 11 years old. I didn't know how low to go with modern cars. We'll say within 200 lbs of a Miata.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also think that the idea of putting cupholders in it at all is totally loving dumb but americans am i right

Don't you mean people in the US? American's encompass people from two different continents, surely all of them don't think that way.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pontius Pilate posted:

No, he means Americans, because it's a perfectly acceptable term for US-specific people.

Yeah but its dumb. That's like saying European when you really mean someone from France. If you're talking about the United States, say the United States. Don't refer to the whole drat continent when you're really talking about one country.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hhmm yes okay next time I will instead write "but citizens of the United States of America am I right?

Get the gently caress over yourself.

B..but Canadians are Americans too!! Maybe sometimes they don't want to get lumped in with US. Get it...US?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Linedance posted:

As a Canadian, if something is referred to as "American" I'm going to assume you mean that bit between Canada and Mexico, and if you're incorrectly applying it to something Canadian, I'll politely correct you. And then I'll call you a oval office because I live in the UK.

What the hell? Canadians are Americans though. Just like the Germans are Europeans.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but English doesn't have a good demonym for the US, apart from American, unlike some other languages, so we just say American and derive the meaning from context.

Yeah you're correct there. But what gets me is that folks from the US and Canada too I guess forget that other countries in the Americas can infact claim to be American, we don't own the term even though its used to refer to us most often in English speaking countries. From what I understand some spanish speaking people refer to people from the US as United Statesians in Spanish, estadounidense, rather than Americano.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Powershift posted:

I'm sure BMW gives a poo poo about mini's heritage

Oh come off it. Mini's heritage... You know that during the time the original Mini was manufactured they had a station wagaon? Even a pick up truck? If anything BMW IS following in Mini's heritage by releasing models which mirror the original Mini's variations. They are just sized up to modern sizes so you don't die instantly if you get in a crash. There's no way to get around the size gain the Mini's have taken on unless you were to start constructing them out of really exotic materials to maintain the strength they have for modern crash worthiness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimcicle posted:

Toyota is showing off their FT-86 II Concept. They claim it is a closer representation of the production model than the first FT-86 Concept they were showing off.

I think it looks great from the side shot in terms of proportion, but I'm not enjoying some of the styling cues. I'll take one with a liftback please. 2012 can't come soon enough.

It'll come out underpowered, overweight, and over priced. And probably with no head room.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimcicle posted:

Probably. I'm still holding out hope that Subaru can steer Toyota into doing something right with the vehicle.

I want more than anything for this car to come out and kick rear end. I really do. I've always wanted to see what the benefits of having a flat four in a FR configuration would do. Its just after all I've heard this car going through I'm not too hopeful on how it will come out. Please let me be wrong.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Going by the clear glass model of the component layout, if anything, the boxer is not doing anything for weight distribution:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=176&perpage=40#post388689012

Yeah, if viewed as a tC replacement, which we should, this car can only be a step forward.

drat. I usually don't like to see engines tucked up under the cowl of a car but if the line at the base of the "windshield" is supposed to be where the firewall hits then it looks like they could have moved the engine back some. I wonder if they could move the wheels up anymore. I would think a flat four would be the easiest engine to make front mid engined and they hosed it up. Well at least it will help with the center of gravity and keep it low.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

The H4 engine also has the disadvantage of being wide, which cuts into space for suspension, and having more turbo-lag in turbo form due to the distance and placement of the turbo vis a vis the exhaust. We talked about this in the last thread. For a performance car it really only makes sense if it's in the middle/rear like a Boxster.

The only advantage of this layout is that you can also easily make the car FWD. :ssh:

If the designers would have packaged the front of the car decently they could have gotten the engine completely behind the suspension. That would give you a lower center of gravity and a lower polar moment of inertia. That's probably what the engineers were thinking about when they went with the flat four in a FR configuration. Plus turbo lag doesn't seem to be a problem for the Suburas that the flat four is in the front of.

Worse comes to worse now there will be a rwd transmission out there that will mate with the flat four. Maybe we'll start seeing the engine ending up in other interesting cars.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I don't understand how certain lovely cars with good performance are okay here but then lovely cars with good performance like the Cobalt suck. I thought we were all about cars that focus on performance to the point they skimp on other things, like a nice interior.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah the list of cars the Cobalt SS beat on the Car and Driver 2008 Lightning Lap at Virginia International Raceway is shocking.

Car and Driver posted:

We’re massively impressed with the new front-wheel-drive champion of the LL1 class, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS. Not only did it lop three seconds off the Mazdaspeed 3’s 2007 front-drive record of 3:16.0, it was only a half-second behind the overall LL1 record of 3:12.5 set by the Nissan 350Z Track in 2006.

Two years ago, a supercharged Cobalt SS with 205 horsepower recorded a respectable 3:20.6. We invited the ’08 Cobalt SS because it has a new 260-hp, 2.0-liter direct-injection four-cylinder turbo engine and a host of chassis upgrades including wider tires and larger brakes.

The changes made a huge difference at the track as the Cobalt’s new brakes resisted fading, its wider tires maintained their hold lap after lap, and its compliant and balanced chassis made it easy to exploit the phenomenal grip.

Gobs of power from the new engine and an optional limited-slip diff allowed the Cobalt to take most of the track in third gear. The SS hurtled forward with an anger missing in the rest of LL1 and much of the LL2 group. Despite the explosive power and front weight bias, the Cobalt SS resisted the typical understeer found in front-drive cars. The SS goes about its business with almost no drama. You only realize how quick it is when you arrive at start-finish and wonder, “How’d I get here so fast?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 4, 2011

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

It's a great car if you only measure cars with numbers they get on the track. It's not a great car to buy, own, and drive daily. Nobody's saying that Cobalt SS isn't a great performer.

Are you on the right forum? We have people who daily drive Lotus Elise's on here and we all seem to agree that's pretty awesome.

Actually, if you look at this situation another way. The Cavalier got a reputation that was SO lovely that the Cobalt that came after it is tarnished. GM managed to put together a genuinely good performing car in the Cobalt SS that should tick all the right boxes with AI but...nope.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Linedance posted:

there's more to cars than just how fast they go. If there weren't, shows like Top Gear wouldn't be so popular. We all appreciate fast cars, but some people appreciate other less quantifiable things in cars as well like style and perceived quality.

Yes I know there is more to cars than how fast they go. You're not looking at the context in which I made my statement. Autism Sundae was discounting the Cobalt SS because he said its a car that only does well when you look at its performance numbers. My point is, we have a lot of people on here who that's all they need. So for all us to cheer on Lotus Elise's being daily driven and then turn and discount the Cobalt SS is not congruent. They both have poo poo interiors. Both fall apart, as is evident with the guy who had a wheel fall off an Elise. In case you didn't catch that, his wheel FELL OFF. IT FELL THE gently caress OFF. Sorry, little blue collar thrown in there.

So basically, I'm just raging that I'm hearing the "there's more to cars than just how fast they go argument" when the Cobalt SS is being discussed but I don't hear that with other fast less well rounded cars.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Muffinpox posted:

It's not really a valid comparison, the Elise isn't a comfy car nor is it advertised as such and you have to be a masochist or just not give a gently caress to DD one. The Cobalt SS is a fast four door sedan which it does exceedingly well but it still has a pretty atrocious interior. It's like how AI generally likes the corvette because its fast as poo poo but every time a thread comes up people whine about how it's interior isn't yet unicorn foreskin leather.

Also the wheel didn't fall off, the toe arm anchor bolt snapped. That's bad engineering, not bad materials.

The comparison was cars whose only redeeming qualities are their driving performance. I think in comparison like that the Elise and Cobalt SS are valid. If one was going to be invalid it would be the Cobalt because you could actually use it as a real car day to day, which would only go further to invalidate the point some people were trying to make.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mutley posted:

Either way we both agree the Chevy is gently caress ugly and that's the important thing here :D

I think that front end would look okay on a hatchback.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dissss posted:

Yes its this. In a RHD country Japanese and Australian cars typically have the indicators on the right, but European cars usually leave them hanging out on the left. So my Japanese Nissans and my parents Suzuki Swift are one way around, whereas their Ford Fiesta is the other. The right side makes marginal more sense in a RHD country as the gear lever is to the left but either way would be fine if standardised.

Everyone should just drive on the right hand side of the road like civilized people.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I would really, really like to see the Hyundai Genesis get a new front end. The grimacing look on the front end makes the car look like its biting down on a horse bit or something. The fluidic design language Hyundai has started to use has grown on me so I wouldn't mind to see a front end like that on the Genesis.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Man where is that article where Grassroots Motorsports out autocrossed a Jaguar E-type in a Honda Odyssey? I know its around here somewhere...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Cars that carry a stigma in North America: Diesels, Hatchbacks, Wagons, and Minivans, anything else that might possibly provide some level of utility.

Status symbols in North America: Giant fuckoff SUV's and raised pickup trucks as commuter vehicles.

I normally roll my eyes very hard when I hear idiots rattle on about how advance Europe is over various things, but gently caress the American car market.

Canada has a fair amount of hatchbacks and stuff so I don't think the American car market is all poo poo.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

See also the strong sales of the Scion xB (before they made it bigger, too).

The Scion xB thing still makes me laugh my rear end off at Toyota. I remember reading when they first brought over the xA and xB they thought the hatchback style xA would sell more than the xB. They were so off from their predicted sales targets that in the first year of selling the xB sold at almost 2 to 1 to the xA. Further more instead of attracting an audience of 20 something first time car buyers Scion were getting people in their 40's or 50's buying the thing so they didn't hit their target market either.

Thing was the xB was really just a Toyota bB (or Bb I don't loving know) brought over straight from Japan. When the US Scion design team redid the xB according to Scion's 3 or 4 year model refresh the xB got fat and ugly and now no one wants them any more and the used ones from 04 to 06 still sell for $10k for a car that was only $17k when it was new. They haven't dropped in value like a person would expect because the new ones suck so bad. Scion should have kept selling the first gen xB for twice as long as they did.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

Not in any racing ever.

Are you sure about? Like 100% sure? I'm pretty sure if I take the time to go research I'm going to find someone that contradicts you.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Muffinpox posted:

Im surprised with a shorter engine like the boxer and the dimensions so close to the s2000 but a longer wheelbase they still have the engine partly infront of the strut towers. Guess that's a bitch to manage without a transaxle or without ruining passenger space.

I'm sure they could have done it. If the S2000 can get the front of the inline 4 even with the front axle then Toyota should have been able to get that flat foor complete behind the front axle. I mean, how would the drivetrain look if we stuck a flat four on the front of a wider s2000?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

The boxer and drivetrain packaging that Subaru uses is pretty entrenched, they didn't adopt a oilpan axle pass-through system like BMW or Nissan, so having a 2cylinder long engine was their solution. It'd be pretty hard anyway, given their crank throws would maybe interfere with the axle. Unforunately, the forward-mount boxer design's only benefit is a lower cG, polar moments go nuts, packaging gets complicated with modern VVT cylinder heads and maintenance, and you end up following a philosophy meant for a pushrod 4boxer and lever activated 4wd. You can solve the cG problem by raising the engine above the level of the monocoque's rails, but you lose the only benefit of the design.

I just want to one day see a Lotus 7 or exo-type car that uses a Subaru boxer 4 in a front midships FR design that has the engine all the way behind the front axle line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dissss posted:

Are we really doing HUDs again? I thought they were a late 80s fad like digital dashboards.

poo poo while you mention it, bring back the digital dashes. The Subaru XT dash modernized? YYYESSS.