Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Friend of mine just bought a Midget II, which I should see for the first time in two weeks or so and which is almost exactly the same size. Be interesting for scale.

For the poster two down: the friend with the Midget 2 (who fits in just fine) is 6'2".

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Too bad that hp/lb is going down for the next generation. Why, oh why, couldn't the next-generation engine have been a direct-inject 2.5L engine instead of a non-DI 2.0? (Yes, I know. Cost. Don't care.)

VVVVVVVVVV
For both manual and the CVT, or is the CVT just better than the (truly terrible) automatic that it replaces?

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 26, 2011

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Out of curiosity, why? I don't have it in my car, but it's always seemed pretty cool whenever I've seen it (in my parents' cars for example) and I've never seen any problems with it personally.

I think Clarkson covered this one.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

For a car as inexpensive as it is it's not bad. Two tone would have been so much better, though -- Sea Of Light Undifferentiated Grey doesn't work well in anything.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Viggen posted:

I'd rather run into something at 25, than, oh, a deer at 65.

Detection and evasion would be easier and safer at 65 mph on a highway than at 25 mph in the city ... and no one only goes 25 mph in the city.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm excited about more high-powered wagons. A friend is getting a CTS-V Sport Wagon and I am damned anticipatory.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm seriously considering an Abarth SS as a daily driver, and retiring the Subaru for winter use. (Although the Impreza is great for just driving over the concrete parking stops when our card reader at work goes on the fritz.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I was going to say that I had no problem with the Spark gauge cluster, and then I realized I'd googled the Sonic gauge cluster instead. It's the same basic idea, but somehow looks less cheap, and it has the tach front and center with an LED readout of the speed rather than the other way around.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Brigdh posted:

When the people stop falling for cheap ploys to get votes and start demanding real solutions to actual problems

So, the article states, "For the 2012 model year, 45 percent of vehicles offer a rearview camera as standard equipment, according to the automotive research Web site Edmunds.com. It is an optional feature on 23 percent of models."

So these cameras have been standard on almost half of new vehicles for half a year. Google says that 13.3 million vehicles were sold in the US in 2011. With over 3 million cars with backup cameras on them on the road already (not even counting the pre-2012MY cars that had them), you have to ask: so why aren't they already touting impressive data showing the huge decrease in rearward visibility-mediated accidents?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Oh, how I do love fast wagons. I wish Imprezas would go back to a wagon over a hatch, but it's just not going to happen. Minor quibble: I wish people didn't care about rear windows not going down fully, because those skinny pillars to split the window just throw off the look, in my opinion.

On a related note, someone recently backed a truck into my friend's CTS-V Sportwagon (with special edition paint, no less), and it just makes me a little ill. I don't know how many are out there, but it can't be very many.

edit: cell phones make typing hard

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 16, 2012

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I think the CTS-V sportwagons look better in person. I wasn't a huge fan until my friend got one in Black Diamond Tricoat with the yellow calipers. Looks pretty hot.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Not only is the new Mazda 6 good-looking, but it's dropped two hundred pounds from the last model. I wish more manufacturers would follow suit.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Warcabbit posted:

I object to that characterization of the X6.

I think the AMC Eagle two-door coupe might qualify as an earlier example.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It's a car designed strictly for city commuting, therefore if you need to commute on the highway, find a different car. A friend of mine daily drives a Midget II and does just fine; he just drives the CTS-V for highway driving.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

angryhampster posted:

I don't see why it matters. Is highway commuting in a ForTwo really any worse than doing so in an F-150?

Yes, if the ForTwo cannot keep up with the flow of traffic. On my drive last weekend, 78 MPH was slower than the norm during some portions of the route, and people who weren't keeping pace caused problems. Likewise, the Midget II take approximately seventeen years to accelerate from 55 MPH to 65 MPH, so taking it on the highway would probably endanger both my friend and other drivers.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Weinertron posted:

Do people doing ~70mph in the farthest right lane really cause such huge problems? I spend some significant time in right lanes when I'm in my girlfriends car because the three speed transmission makes for disastrous fuel economy much over 70mph. I get passed like crazy, but I don't think I'm ever holding up traffic doing 65-75 in the rightmost lane.

As noted, not all highways have more than two lanes. In addition, plenty of highways have exits and on-ramps on the left, which further enhances the mess caused by a driver limping along below the speed of the rest of traffic. Couple that with the decreased visibility of a tiny car as compared to, for example, a tractor trailer.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sadly the Forester XT is still automatic-only, it seems (from the leaked Japanese brochures).
Funny, Autoblog just made mention of a new six-speed and a CVT for the Forester; is the former only going to be available in the base model? Seems stupid. Not sure how I feel about the CVT, but given that I would not ever have bought one of the terrible four-speed Subaru autos anyway I guess it's not an issue.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Steve French posted:

From the press release attached to the Autoblog article:

Sorry I missed it. Seriously, hill descent control on a Forester?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
These two cars really do not look all that much alike. The body panels' creases and the trim pieces are fairly different.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

Of course I have, but I don't let it distract me.

Which is exactly why I don't have a handsfree set and don't answer my phone while I'm driving. There is nothing that cannot wait until I get home. If it is that serious, cars with sirens and flashing lights will find me.

Don't make excuses for not giving a poo poo about driving safely.

Right, because he's not at 100% at every hour of the day, it's "not giving a poo poo about driving safety." I very much give a poo poo about driving safety since I routinely have to fix what a split second of distraction can cause, and yet I have been required to do things like drive into the hospital when extremely tired. I'm glad that you're apparently able to live a life where there are never any distractions, never any emergencies, and never any extenuating circumstances, but most people in the world don't. None of us are saying that it's okay to add unnecessary distractions to commutes like phones and the like, but be realistic.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

nutnmunch posted:

I couldn't determine from the article if they were saying STI in 2015 or WRX + STI in 2015. I'm hoping the WRX shows itself a lot sooner than that and we just get the STI a few years later.

I believe earlier reports said the new WRX was for the 2014 model year, so a 2013 release, but maybe things have changed. I hope not, I'm ready to upgrade. I'm curious how all of this is news, though, since the linked article is from last May and there's definitely newer information out there (mainly hot-weather testing mules seen, that sort of thing). It also conflicts with other reports that the WRX/STI chassis was going to be smaller and lighter than the Impreza.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

I love that they charge extra for not painting the roof.

Isn't it because the clearcoat for the unpainted carbon fiber costs something like sixty grand a gallon?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

oRenj9 posted:

I like it a lot, it looks like how I imagine the Forester should. They made Subarus into Toyotas and Toyotas into Subarus.

That was exactly my reaction: smaller and lower with a little more glass instead of C-pillar and you have perhaps my ideal Forester XT. (Though to be fair to the newest Foresters, they look better in person than they do in press photos, for some reason. Maybe the lower angles in the photos make them look taller than they actually are?)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Stealth Like posted:

And yeah, the CST-V is amazing value (as long as the build quality has gotten better, but I think that has been resolved).
Just don't autocross it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sadi posted:

Why is that? I thought the new ones had pretty stout drive lines.
The wagons will blow their airbags. Happened to a GM engineer, and then I had to pick my friend up when the same thing happened to him. Apparently the center of gravity is high enough that a quick steer-countersteer can trick the computer into thinking the car is rolling. It's a shame, because man, does that thing move.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

Coming from an aviation background, anything you to need to use frequently or in an emergency is only a flip of a switch or a twist of a knob away - it's simply good ergonomics.

I would love to see an updated chapter in Raskin's The Humane Interface dedicated to touchscreen controls in cars. Had he not passed from pancreatic cancer, it would have been the easier chapter he's ever written: "WHAT THE poo poo, DID YOU NOT READ ANYTHING IN THIS BOOK?! GO TO HELL, AUTOMAKERS."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

D C posted:

It looks cool but I think they are terrible to use real world, no storage, no places besides the cupholder to put, say a phone, or your wallet or something like that.

I loved the layout in my '02 Focus ZX5. Not only were all of the interior controls perfectly placed, but the cupholders were low and a bit forward of the gearshift, which was really convenient.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

leica posted:

Yeah and we're about to invade Syria so perfect timing, gas should be skyrocketing real soon :argh:
Honestly, given the staggering amount of power these cars are putting out, they get pretty loving awesome mileage.

In other news, goddamn, do I wish Volvo would build this. It appears the next XC90 will incorporate some of the styling cues, but the Concept Coupe is gorgeous.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Someone I went through residency with bought one (she's making jaw-dropping amounts of money in Texas). She loves it and has nothing but gushingly positive things to say about it. I guess there could be some degree of cognitive dissonance given how ungodly expensive they are, but taking into account all of the other reviews out there I'm inclined to believe her. I can't say it's the car I'd have my eye on were I to decide to take a huge chunk out of my monthly savings, but it seems pretty awesome nonetheless.

This link says the Model S lease starts at $1421 per month if you ignore their hand waving about fuel savings and so forth. I think I'd rather stick that $51k into retirement instead of into a car I wouldn't own at the end of three years, especially since I couldn't drive it more than 12k miles annually.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

SouthLAnd posted:

Subarus and Subaru owners are generally pretty cool IMO so that's nice to see.

E: are the Cadillacs CTS-V wagons? :waycool:

Yeah, I was looking at the teensy Cadillac bar and thinking, "I've driven a chunk of that." (And man, is it ever FUN.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
1200 CTS-V wagons sold as of mid-year. That's more than I was expecting, actually. Luckily, they only needed to sell around 35 to make back their investment, since pretty much all of the bits already existed for the regular wagon and the other V-variants.

Edit: that's ALL wagons, not just manuals. I don't know the breakdown there.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 30, 2013

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I wonder if the CVT is an option on the higher trim levels or if it's required. The CVT in the Forester XT is supposedly very good, at least. It's a no-go for me anyway without a wagon or hatch variant, which is a shame because a WRX hatch was my planned upgrade to my '06 2.5i wagon and I wanted to wait for the new platform.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

goatse guy posted:

It's optional in all of them, and the base models are manual-only. The last of the 2014s are coming out now, why not get one of those instead?
I might grab one left over after the new models come out. I was looking forward to the new platform and engine, though.

Cream_Filling posted:

When the third gen WRX came out, wasn't it hatch only at first? With the sedan being introduced a year later?

I'd argue that the chances of them not doing a WRX hatch or equivalent in the next year or so are arguably pretty low.
I was thinking that, too. My '06 is pretty low-mileage, so I might just hold out longer and hope for the best. The next car purchase arguably should be an auto, since my fiancée doesn't drive stick and isn't much interested in learning. My clutch might not survive it, so my friend taught her the basics in a parking lot ... on a CTS-V wagon. I admire his courage.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Now that the RX-8 is gone and the new RX-7 is delayed forever, the new WRX is honestly looking pretty good to me for a new car. The only other car that looked fun and non-ugly to me is the mazdaspeed 3, and I think that car would murder me dead in winter here in Wisconsin.
Nah, it's fine. I test drove ours on stock summer tires in slushy snow and managed it just fine due to the good LSD. We put winter tires on it and it was great. And yeah, there's torque steer, but it's extremely manageable given the aforementioned real (e.g., not just brake-mediated) LSD and the decreased boost in first and second. You learn to love third, though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

2014 WRX, too.

Holy crap, I don't know how I missed that. That's ridiculous.

... soooooo, who's the best person in Philadelphia to swap an STI drivetrain into my wagon, 'cause Subaru just doesn't seem to want to sell me a car ever again.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

This is where I point out that the Cayenne almost buried Porsche, and they've doubled down on that game plan.
What are you pointing out, exactly, since by pretty much all accounts the huge profits on the Cayenne are what help keep Porsche going? http://www.marketwatch.com/story/porsche-profit-surges-as-cayenne-suv-drives-sales-2012-03-13 is one example. I'd like to see counterpoints based on anything other than some vaguely-defined notion that a company that builds only sports cars and is out of business is somehow better off than one than also makes SUVs and is profitable.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Wheeee posted:

Yea, the Prius is actually an awesome and fantastically practical car which has a solid reason for existing beyond stroking the ego of trophy wives.
This and another poster's previous comments about how 911s are for doctors and lawyers and Cayennes are for "their wives" makes it sound like AI lives in the 1950s. Beyond that, how is a Prius not a great car for city-dwellers? It's relatively small and it gets fantastic city mileage.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Poe's Law claims yet another victim
Guilty as charged.

Still, I don't understand how anyone can think that the Cayenne killed Porsche. If they mean fiscally, the data clearly state otherwise. If they mean ... spiritually or some poo poo? ... then I also don't understand because the thing is fast, comfortable, and reportedly is fairly capable off-road as well. Sure, few people actually WILL take their expensive Porsche off-road, but most Wranglers just get driven on the street too.

Likewise, the Prius hate is silly. It's more than competent enough at filling a niche to justify its continued existence and sales record. Car enthusiasts didn't wail and gnash their teeth when GM announced the CTS-V sportswagon, which makes a hell of a lot less fiscal or practical sense than a Prius. Now the Smart ForTwo available in the US ... that's a hard one to figure out other than, "Eh, someone will buy it."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Porsche is such a weird company financially with its strange ownership structure, and non-car investments making ridiculous gains and losses that dwarf the auto sales side, that claiming any particular model 'saved' or 'killed' it is silly
Here's one early-ish analysis of what happened: http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2003-12-21/this-suv-can-tow-an-entire-carmaker

Business Week did a follow-up article almost a decade later, and the SUV's selling power still appears to be a large driving force: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-05/porsche-has-an-identity-crisis-amid-its-suv-success

But yeah, you're right -- it's really complex. But the Cayenne sure as hell didn't have a negative effect on the company unless it's purist Porsche-is-a-sportscar fist-shaking. I'd personally shake my fist a hell of a lot harder if they'd gone bankrupt.

Regarding Prius battery replacement: http://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-prius-reliability/

Doesn't look so bad to me. Note the real-world change in performance, and that Consumer Reports has found that perfectly-usable batteries can be found at salvage yards for about $500. Granted, their data are only for one car that CR tested, but that's the same sample size as "my friend with a Prius" and actually includes numbers.

Edit: While talking Priuses as city cars, I really wish we could just have Kei cars widely available. A Midget II has plenty of pickup to 30 MPH for suburban driving. Too bad that the mileage is actually laughably bad, and Philadelphia is basically a Kei car murder factory.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

13 INCH DICK posted:

Honestly I get the idea of a Prius but I've never driven a more uncomfortable, awkwardly positioned, numb feeling car that drives like it's so much larger than it is due to it's horrific blind spots outside of a 2011 Chevy Aveo.
I read the first part of your post and my brain immediately interjected with ... the Aveo I was once given as a rental car. It was a bit older, though. What a miserable loving machine that was.