Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Hermansen posted:

I guess that's why ze germans gets almost as much horsepower out of 1.4 liters, as americans do from 4.

You should see what happens when Americans put turbos on their supercharged engines. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

So to recap the news this week:

Toyota's quality rep comes under question.

SAAB saved.

Hummer probably dead.

When it rains, it pours.

Add to this that the Focus RS will probably be coming to America. I bet they'll just call it the SVT here since the RS badge is fairly meaningless in America while most people know that SVT is Ford's performance department.

quote:

The “One Ford” strategy implemented by the Blue Oval several years ago had on major goal. Ford wants to tie together all of its cars from different markets, making it easier to manufacture parts and design vehicles and saving lots of money in the long run. That in turn meant that Ford’s bevy of difference performance vehicles would start drawing from the same parts bin.

Last week we asked what Ford would do with its diverse performance vehicle collection. Automobile Magazine got a chance to sit down with new performance chief John Capito, and he seemed to hint the groups would continue to live alongside each other.

More importantly though, Capito hinted that the Focus RS might actually make it to America. Blue Oval fans have been clamoring for such a move for a while now, and while Capito didn’t outright announce it, he did say “When you see the global vehicle lines, they offer the opportunity of global performance vehicles. The two generations of Focus we’ve had so far [internationally] were great bases for performance vehicles. The new Focus is the same, so there’s no reason if there’s one in Europe, it wouldn’t be here.”

That is as close to a “yes” as we have heard so far. Capito also mentioned that while the RS line has a strong following in America already, it is unlikely to replace the SVT line of vehicles (which right now has just the Raptor). So will the Focus RS remain an RS, or will it be morphed into an SVT? Capito also hinted that they were unlikely to over-saturate the market with too many RS vehicles, like an RS Fiesta as well as Focus. We should hear more about this in the coming months so stay tuned.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Meh. The RS is awesome but (and obviously it's for a different audience) the Mustang GT is just something I can't turn down at that price range. I predict at least 95% of the people on the Focus forums who've promised to cut off their balls to finance one will be silent when the car finally arrives in America.

Cygni posted:

They WILL find a way to gently caress this up I GUARANTEE it.

Yeah, I just don't see how it's going to fit in in America. I understand that people wanting a turbo 4 cylinder hatchback with all wheel drive aren't going to cross shop a Mustang, but you know Ford's bean counters don't understand that. It basically has to have at least 300hp and cost under/around $30k, which is going to worry Ford's sales department about cutting in to v6 Mustang sales.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

It's got a Volvo I-5 in it, but if they want to knock it down to some turbo'ed I-4 that only does 250hp, I guess that'd be better than nothing.

With Ford ditching Volvo and debuting their new EcoBoost engine line, I could see them using the RS to showcase the new EcoBoost 4 banger in the US. There's always the EcoBoost v6 from the SHO as well.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Naky posted:

Man. I love everything about that car - the size, the specs, etc. But as amazing as all of that is and believe me I LOVE cars like that... I don't think I could ever grow to love that gaping vagina front end. I know, blasphemy and all that but... it just looks so out of place for me.

Everything old is new again.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Is this just a general automotive news thread? At any rate, if you use Impact safety equipment you may want to consider buying something else.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/DecertificationNotice03-26-10.pdf

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Cross posting for those that don't read the Mustang thread.

Don Frey, the man who designed the Mustang, has died.

No matter what you think of the car and what it's become, I think we can all agree that the man penned an iconic vehicle that is a part of American history.

quote:

Donald N. Frey, the leader of the original Ford Mustang design team and creator of the original prototype, passed away on March 5. He lived to 86.

In reading the obituary in the New York Times, I was struck at how close Ford came to not making the iconic pony car at all. According to the article, Frey and his team secretly met with Lee Iacocca "in a motel at night and in a storage room by day" to work on the Mustang -even though it wasn't yet approved by top management.

Did this rogue team know what it was doing? Well, the debut of the Mustang at the 1964 New York World's Fair brought more attention to the car than they expected. Ford figured it would sell about 80,000 units in the first year, according to the Times. The Mustang went on to sell more than one million examples in the first two years. Yes, they were on to something.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 30, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Have you thought, "You know, an Elise would be a lot cooler if it had 1000hp"? Well, the Hennessey boys agree with you.

http://www.hennesseyperformancestore.com/venomgt.html

quote:

SEALY, TEXAS & SILVERSTONE, ENGLAND, March 29, 2010 - Hennessey Performance is pleased to introduce the first official images of its Venom GT supercar. Based upon the Lotus Elise, the Venom GT combines a high-tech, lightweight British chassis with a powerful American V8.

“This is not the first time that Britain and America have joined forces to produce a weapon of mass propulsion”, said company founder and president, John Hennessey. “Over fifty years ago the American-built P-51 Mustang fighter aircraft was flown into history powered by a British Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. Today the Hennessey Venom GT promises to set a new standard of power to weight ratio in the rarefied air of today's supercar market.”

SOMETIMES LESS EQUALS MORE
In the case of the Venom GT, less weight means more performance. The Venom GT will have a production curb weight of less than 2,400 lbs (1,071 kilos) aided by its lightweight carbon fiber bodywork and carbon fiber wheels. Stopping power is delivered via Brembo brakes with 6-piston calipers up front and 4-piston calipers in rear clamping down on 15-inch carbon ceramic rotors.

SOMETIMES MORE EQUALS MORE
The Venom GT’s base power plant is the supercharged 6.2 liter LS9 V8 (the same as in the Corvette ZR1) tweaked by Hennessey to 725 bhp. The company will also be offering 1000 bhp and 1200 bhp twin turbo V8 engine variants. The mid-engine V8 will transmit its power to the rear tires via a Ricardo 6-speed gearbox.

POWER WITH CONTROL
Hennessey plans to manage power output by using a programmable traction control system. CFD (computational fluid dynamic) tested bodywork and down force will also help keep the Venom stable at speed. An active aero system with adjustable rear wing will deploy under varying conditions on both the road and racetrack. An adjustable suspension system will allow ride height adjustments according to speed and driving conditions. Finally, power will be put to the ground via massive Michelin PS2 tires.

POWERED BY THE USA, BUILT IN THE UK
Hennessey will be building the power plants at its Texas facility. The engines will then be air freighted to the company's assembly facility near Silverstone, England where the Venom GT is built and tested. Venom GT buyer will be offered a 1-day driver orientation and instruction program by a Hennessey factory test driver, at a track in the UK or USA prior to delivery.

LIMITED PRODUCTION
The company plans to establish a network of Venom GT dealers and distributors in the Middle East, Europe, Russia, Australia and Asia. Production is limited to just 10 vehicles per year and the company already has orders for 4 Venom GT’s.

About Hennessey Performance
Hennessey Performance has been making fast cars go faster since 1991. It operates from a 30,000 square foot workshop and showroom facility situated on 143 acres near Sealy, Texas (about 45 minutes west of Houston). The company also has a showroom and installation facility located in Lake Forest, California. Hennessey Performance offers a wide variety of dyno proven, track tested parts and upgrades for a variety of modern performance vehicles. Hennessey Performance is also the only tuner in North America that operates its own test track – Lonestar Motorsports Park.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

They added 500lbs and 500hp, seems about right.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I noticed this article on Jalopnik also; it's not exactly on topic but it's funny.
http://jalopnik.com/5516121/gang-moves-1800-lb-of-coke-in-fake-dakar-rally-truck

Drug cartels are so cool if you take away the whole violence and kidnapping aspects. :shobon:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ford is entering a Mustang in FIA GT3.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I don't know if this counts as a new car per se, but it is a new car for Tim Lynch. Apparently Tim and crew at Proline are having Skinny Kid Race Cars build them a Z06 for Outlaw 10.5 racing.

That's a 670ci (10.9 liters for you heathens) all aluminum engine sitting between the frame rails. When it is finished it will be wearing twin 106mm turbos. Their old car made 3500hp at 32psi on a 620ci engine with twin 91mm turbos. They have tested that engine up to 40psi and found that every 2psi adds 150hp. If they can get the new car to hook at 40psi they may break into the 5s in the 1/4 mile. They ran a 6.53 @ 231 with 32psi with their old combination.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Hermansen posted:

Porsche is introducing the return of the Fuchs rims to its costumers.
First only fitted to the 250 special edt. Sport Classic 911, these 19" Classic Fuchs can now be yours for the bargain price of, er, 5,569 Euro.

They look awesome, I have to say..

They're also giving the option of proper paddles instead of buttons on the PDK now, sweet..

topgear.com for more :)

Did hella flush's server handle the load when this was announced? I imagine the vortex's servers probably melted down too.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugly, too expensive, and only marginally better performing than the 2011 Mustang. I can think of a lot better things to spend $150k on.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

Let's be honest, it's because it doesn't have an slushbox, right?

No, it's because it costs $150k for a car that doesn't look better or perform better than a $30k car. It's not like it's even some exotic car people will buy for penis waving because everyone who sees it will think it's a riced out 3 series. The M3 GTS just doesn't make any sense to me.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A5H posted:

There's only 99 cars. Super rare. Some people are into that.
Kinda like that Mercedes CLK DTM that wasn't that great but still every one bought for mad money.

Also where are you getting 'marginally out performs a mustang' from?

There's a world of difference between a tarted up 3 series and the CLK GTR in the exotic looks department.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

I get marginally outperforms the Mustang because the GTS has 30hp more than the Mustang and weighs almost the same as the Mustang. $150k in price premium should offer something more substantial than that.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

rscott posted:

Frozenphil lives his life a quarter mile at a time guys, who cares about poo poo like suspension geometry

How does this argument stand up in the face of the Mustang dominating the BMW in Grand Am road racing?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

I'm sure you can go pick up a Mustang (gotta be with the automatic though, right?) from the corner dealer and then go start whipping BMW's in Grand Am.

You have to order it, but yeah. You can.

kill me now posted:

Who won the Continental tire race at Daytona to start the year off? What about VIR?

M3's have 7 podium finishes in the first 4 races this year to go with the 2 wins. Mustangs have 3 podium finishes in the first 4 races.

Stop being an idiotic fanboy for once.

Yeah, this year BMW is leading by 8 points so far after the Mustang was neutered. Also, how many teams are running BMWs vs. Mustangs this year?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ynotony posted:

Is the current civic poorly rated? I've never been in the market so I've never cross shopped it with anything, but I've spent a lot of time in the current model and I think it's great.

If it's anything like my '09 Accord it should be poorly rated if it isn't. This car has really soured me on Hondas.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Suave posted:

If ford releases a performance version of the Focus I will buy it over an SI. I assume they will both be hitting the market around the same time.

We've already been told that we're getting the RS "to use as marketing assets for feedback from enthusiasts" by Jost Capito, head of Ford Global Performance. With Mulally wanting to unify Ford's global brands and the base Mustang making 300hp, I don't see a good reason to not bring the RS to the US anymore.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Hermansen posted:

Chrysler recalls nearly 600 000 cars!
The models most affected by the Chrysler recalls are Jeep Wranglers from 2006 - 2010 and Dodge Grand Caravan and Town & Country Minivans from 2008 and 2009.

More here: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/chrysler-recalls-nearly-600000-jeeps-and-minivans.html

I love the image in my head of the guy who figured it out and made the call.. must have been a great day at the office..

At least they are issuing a recall. Honda knows about brake problems on the Accord and TSX but aren't doing poo poo about it. They have decided to settle a class action lawsuit instead of issue a recall. Looks like I'm only going to get half of what I paid for brake pad replacement with this settlement. At least the 410k Odyssey people got a recall I guess. I'd imagine Honda didn't want to issue a massive Accord recall for brakes right after issuing a massive Odyssey recall for brakes.

Yeah, Honda, rear brake pads wearing out after 20k mostly highway miles on a loving Accord is perfectly acceptable.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

So what is the fix? Different pad formulation?

Every Honda I've ever worked on with rear discs had a hunger for rear pads. I think they either balance the system really well or they just use the tiniest rear brakes they can find.

Chrysler getting out in front of a problem BEFORE accidents or injuries is a positive step.

Part of the settlement is they pay for half of the job to get the new material pads swapped in. I'm going on my third set of rear brake pads inside 50k miles.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The Prisoner posted:

I had no goddamn idea this was a widespread problem. I'm on my third set of rear pads at 47k too. :psyduck:

You should have gotten a letter in the mail. If not, go to the settlement website and see if you qualify; if so, follow the directions on that site.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

grover posted:

Per this site, the tax is 10% for cars with 1.0L or smaller engines, and 25% for over 1.0L, and is included in the sticker price of a car. Sounds like a perfect market for turbos!

*scratches Brazil off of "Countries where I would like to live" list*
*sighs*

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

They should just throw in a V8.

I have no doubt that whatever engine they use they will plaster the thing with HEMI badges.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

The new Grand Cherokee is good, which is good for Chrysler:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2010/06/26/2011-grand-cherokee-a-dream-come-true/

quote:

The new Pentastar V-6 develops 290 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 260 lb-ft. of torque at 4,800...it returns 23 mpg on the freeway.
Is Chrysler trying to go under? I mean, shouldn't your new engine be competitive with the competition?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

angryhampster posted:

Do you mean like the Explorer with its 210HP v6, or the 4runner with its standard 170HP I4?

The Explorer's engine is being replaced with the new 305hp v6 that gets 31mpg highway. I'm not sure what Toyota is doing, but do people cross shop the 4runner and the Grand Cherokee?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sanchez posted:

The new explorer is going to get 31mpg highway with a gas engine? Have they turned it into a crossover? I think you've posted the mustang figure. Do people really care about 10-15hp and ft/lb between engines, assuming it's not detuned to 280hp or so for the explorer.

They've always had nicer interiors than anything from Ford or especially GM as well.

What I'm saying is that it seems weird to me that you would build a brand new engine and not make it better than existing engines in your category.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sanchez posted:

It is better than the existing engines though? Compare it to the current Ford 4.0 or the Chrysler 3.7

Yeah, it's better than those, but Ford and Chevy have both released new engines.

Whatever, I'm not really invested in this discussion as I don't really give a poo poo about the SUV market. They're such a niche vehicle that represent a real danger to others on the road and have gained popularity due to vanity and ignorance. They're basically the anti-AI.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kill me now posted:

So you're upset that the new base engine in the 2011 GC is on par with other new v6 engines from Ford and Chevy?

More like Chrysler's new engine is the worst of the Big 3's new engines. Which goes back to my comment about Chrysler not really trying to stay afloat.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

This probably has more to do with the speed limit on the v6 than anything else. A v6 Mustang is for girls and rental agencies.

Crustashio posted:

All "american" rental cars I tried in canada would hit 180 and stop, at least from what I drove working for a rental company. Although when I had a grand prix GTP that it 120mph before I ran out of road.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

grover posted:

I agree, it just doesn't make sense, but neither do such low governor limits. I can't seem to find anything on google about this, aside from complaints that the fox body would get real light above 120-125mph. Surely someone has unlocked a new mustang and seen how fast it can REALLY go? Or do people track these with the governor on?

Pure speculation here, but could Ford have optimized the aerodynamics for fuel economy to meet federal mandates, while cheaping out on the pop-up spoiler it would take to stay stable at higher speeds?

A 120mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile equates to a low 10 second ET in a naturally aspirated car. You're not going low 10s in a stock car, and you're not going low 10s without a tune. It is trivial to turn off the governor in the tune.

Basically, the only people the speed limiter effects are people bombing down public roads, Bonneville, or the Autobahn. No company is going to cater to the first group and the second and third groups are such a small percentage of the potential owner's demographic that no one gives a poo poo about them.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I was looking through some pictures of Ford's display at the Woodward Dream Cruise because Ford was debuting their new superchargers for the 2011 Mustang 5.0 there.

Neat!

Ugly car but whatever it's a marketing tool. Hey! What's that neon green reflection in the bumper?

Who brought the riced Focus?

Oh. Oh my!

Swanky.

Looks like we really are getting the new Focus RS.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sw0cb posted:

Wait. What? Were really getting the Focus RS? When?

No one knows, this is all rumor mill stuff. We have quotes from Alan Mulally and Jost Capito saying they want to unify Ford's world brands and such so it just makes sense. We also know Ford has been doing market research in regards to the RS' viability in the American market.
Finally, we have this quote from The Detroit Bureau:

quote:

“Rumors are fun, aren’t they?” a Ford spokesman said in response to a query about a U.S. version of the car. He also refused to add anything to those rumors.

In my eyes, showing off the RS at the Woodward Dream Cruise, of all places, makes a compelling argument for their plans. Check out the people gathered around the RS instead of looking at the new supercharger from Ford on their new 5.0 Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I love the RS, but it's hard to want over the new Stang from a value standpoint.

:rolleye: oxcart suspension :rolleye: