Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

kimbo305 posted:

A slightly amusing review of the Crosstour:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2010/02/24/lord-byron-over-the-river-and-through-the-cones-the-2010-honda-accord-crosstour/

What's really amusing is the 7 drivers who were slower than this guy at an autocross:

Maybe can cut the VW Fox some slack, but the other cars? :cmon:

It was only 1sec slower than the 330i. Sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

InitialDave posted:

Re the GX460 oversteer - how come the Land Cruiser's ok? Is it different suspension settings, tyres, drivetrain setup, what?

It's a 4-Runner clone, not a Land Cruiser clone. The 4-Runner passed the doriftu test with no problems, leaving software as the primary suspect.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
My Camry has a 17 gallon tank, and I've eked 500 miles out of the thing between road trip fillups. :colbert:

During my last move, was still over 1/2 tank when our big rear end Budget truck had to stop for fuel.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
There's some business lingo for it but I think it's really just to enchance the Mercedes name across the whole lineup. Some chump will see the ads, become enamored, and lease a C240 just because.

Not dissimilar to the huge billboard on I-95 that says "HEY FORT LAUDERDALE, SOMEONE IN YOUR TOWN BOUGHT AN AUDI R-8"

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BonzoESC posted:

The obvious answer is to get a Prius: great on gas, cheap maintenance, incredibly reliable, and I'd bet the insurance isn't bad on it.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm leaning away from hybrids because they're all horribly ugly or boring sedans. I want something fun and nice but cheap to maintain.

Veloster Turbo, Mini S, GTI, and possibly the Honda Fit

There's only one car in your list that's a known performance machine, and it's the GTI. There's only one car in your list that's known to be reliable, and it's the Fit. The Veloster Turbo and Mini S are unproven in both categories.

You may want to broaden your search to include Mazda and Nissan.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Cream_Filling posted:

Mazda definitely, but Nissan? What do they make in this range? The Versa? For hatches, I'd take a look at Ford - Fiesta and Focus come as hatches and apparently they drive real nice. Also, I bet WRXes are sitting on the lots right now that the Impreza's left them behind and all the fanboys are waiting on the BRZ/redesigned WRX. Not a two-door, but definitely a sporty hatch. Also I guess Chevy or Scion, with Scion in particular being at least reliable. Hell, they say nice things about the Buick Verano in that price range, although obviously this is out of left field.

I meant to suggest the SR-R Spec V but we're talking hatches. In that case, I propose the comedy turbo Juke option.

EDIT: ^^^GTI repairs isn't accurate either because $700 over 5 years? Yeah right, that's like two window regulators.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 3, 2012

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Perfect. That is the car I want.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Holy poo poo an actual Cruis'n USA button.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

From that angle it looks like a riced out Focus. I don't know why they'd spoil the BMW brand with a FWD Mini clone. They could have sold it as alongside the Clubman and Mini Coupe as the Mini Van.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Then where the hell do they put their big gulps when they're applying makeup and texting on the autobahn? I'll never understand those crazy Germans.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Saw a Fisker Karma on the road a few days ago and it was gorgeous. It might be the best looking four door I've ever seen.

According to this article, the acceleration isn't quite what you'd expect from a $100,000 car but it's amazing nonetheless.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-fisker-karma-review?redirect=no

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The British who can afford to own a sports car also generally have the money and free time to keep them going. Americans like to buy their sportscars with just $0 down and proof of monthly income.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 29, 2012

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah, I'll buy that. A Hyundai Elantra is the only rental car I haven't been able to beat the estimated mileage with. Only 38 mpg highway, total rip off.

What's surprising is how few people complain about their optimistic speedometers. Now that I have a Garmin with a precise speed readout, some cars drive me nuts on the highway with their +5mph speedometer boost. I can't help but wonder if it's driving up the odometer too. If that's the case then even calculator math is netting me incorrect fuel economy numbers. :kratos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Until Subaru did the 2.0L+CVT thing, Suzuki was the clear winner in the "best mileage in an AWD car" category. They also had the cheapest AWD car at $16,000 or so. I knew a few people in Vermont who had Suzukis but I never saw them anywhere else.