Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I read some really good reviews of the Mazda 2, so I went and test drove one this weekend. It was very fun! The ergonomics are nice, and it wears that big Mazda grin pretty well. But most importantly if felt good. The switchgear was awesome, the shifter was really, really sweet. The clutch felt good, and throttle response was nice, especially at higher revs. Mostly, though, it corners extremely well for a front driver. It is genuinely a joy to toss around. Next car I still think is going to be a Fiat, but this Mazda certainly joins the shortlist as a competitor if dealers start asking $20k for a 500, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

How is it size wise compared to a CRX or even an Accent hatch?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

redscare posted:

Its a pretty small car. Specs say its a couple of inches shorter than an Accent and slightly wider than an Elantra. They made good use of space inside though, the front two seats are pretty spacious. poo poo for room in the back, but that's to be expected.

That's good - we need more small cars.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The hottest wagon.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

McMadCow posted:

That thing is ugly. :colbert:

You are wrong.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I heard rumor a week or two ago about the next Fiat that's supposed to be sold here, maybe next year (B-class car, not a Chrysler). Has anybody heard more about what that might be?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

This one was supposed to be a Fiat through and through, though. A NA spec Punto or something, maybe. Well, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Coredump posted:

I want more than anything for this car to come out and kick rear end. I really do. I've always wanted to see what the benefits of having a flat four in a FR configuration would do. Its just after all I've heard this car going through I'm not too hopeful on how it will come out. Please let me be wrong.

I estimate a bit more style than substance, since it's coming in as a Scion and is supposed to act as their halo car. Of course, that might be good since Scion is always trying to push superchargers on their tC buyers and what not.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The Buick version is a rebadged Astra, it is quite a bit more upmarket and they always have the option of dropping in the 2.0T engine for a Gran Sport range topper.

This is a good looking interior.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

gently caress I love the front but it looks like they ran out of money before they got to designing the rear end...

You know that's an absolutely iconic rear end, right? That it's supposed to be like that?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just cannot get into Audis. They all seem terribly bland. But then I guess that's what their market wants.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

wav3form posted:

Have you ever owned one?

Nope. And I'm just fine with that - the cars have zero appeal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Without a minivan where will I keep my car parts?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

We don't have a derailAILED thread in ai so ill ask here, I saw an old van like this way out in the backroads of california but it didn't have an engine cab on the front, just the slope down into the windows and very slab fronted. Ideas what it could have been? Never seen anything like it since.

International Harvester?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Coredump posted:

The Scion xB thing still makes me laugh my rear end off at Toyota. I remember reading when they first brought over the xA and xB they thought the hatchback style xA would sell more than the xB. They were so off from their predicted sales targets that in the first year of selling the xB sold at almost 2 to 1 to the xA. Further more instead of attracting an audience of 20 something first time car buyers Scion were getting people in their 40's or 50's buying the thing so they didn't hit their target market either.

Thing was the xB was really just a Toyota bB (or Bb I don't loving know) brought over straight from Japan. When the US Scion design team redid the xB according to Scion's 3 or 4 year model refresh the xB got fat and ugly and now no one wants them any more and the used ones from 04 to 06 still sell for $10k for a car that was only $17k when it was new. They haven't dropped in value like a person would expect because the new ones suck so bad. Scion should have kept selling the first gen xB for twice as long as they did.

I had a 2009 xB (ex-wife took it) that was a really, really great car. It had amazing amounts of room, plenty of power for it's class, was comfortable, etc. I don't understand why people don't like them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Internet Meme posted:

It took a car that was unique, tiny yet had a lot of space, and had amazing gas mileage, and turned into a car that was none of those. It now looks another compact, and the gas mileage is pretty mediocre for a subcompact.

You are wrong on every point.

It's still very unique, doesn't look like anything else, and has great mileage for what it is - a mini-minivan. It's not even a subcompact, for goodness sake - they stopped importing the bB (on the Yaris/Echo platform) as the xB and started importing the Corolla Rumion (a Corolla box with a Camry motor) as an xB instead.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Internet Meme posted:

That's exactly my point. Some of the best things about the original are exactly what they changed. The xB went from being a roomy subcompact to being a mini mini-van, just as you said. The appeal for many was the fact that it was a subcompact with ridiculous amounts of space. Now it's a glorified PT Cruzer/HHR.

That's a lot of glory.

quote:

The car gets 24/28 mpg EPA which is mediocre at best. The Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, Ford Focus, tC, hell, even a Jetta wagon gets better gas mileage.

I'm glad you're happy with your car, but the second gen is the most stereotypically americanized car I've ever seen.

When I had it, I regularly got 31-32 mixed mileage. That's fine for something that I could completely fill with amplifiers and drums and still move at a brisk pace.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

Brisk isn't a word I'd use to describe the first-gen xB. An Echo engine, in a car much bigger then an Echo, with the aerodynamics of a small house... Granted my only experience was a single test drive but drat that thing was slow.

2009 is second gen.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Sonatas all want to turn left.

NASCAR influence.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Why?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The tail-lights are thinner.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

I can't remember the last time I've had to actually manually turn ON my headlights in any of my BMW's since 2000....people still have to do that? :smuggo:

My headlights turn on if it's even slightly foggy out and it has DRL's and if that isn't warning enough there are the Orion V2 angel eyes (turned all the way down with a rheostat since the fuckers are so bright)

I can't remember the last time I had to turn on my own headlights either.

In my 98 Isuzu.

:smug:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I like it. It reminds me of Ferrari in the 60s.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

How about an actual cool new car that we like, the FIAT 500L?

Notably the 500L will be the first product to come out of the Kragujevac plant that FIAT has just aquired from Zastava, the very same birthplace of the legendary Yugo! Who would have guessed that the Yugoslavian car industry will be returning triumphantly to the US under tutelage of FIAT and Chrysler? :911::hf::tito::hf::italy:

Buying one. Yugos are getting very hard to find.

:tito::tito::tito:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I like it a lot. Just too bad we won't get a Panda Cross in the States. Though maybe we'll see this in the new Yugo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Shame if they make the Liberty into just another car based CUV, though. It was never as good off road as the Cherokee, sure, but it's still a capable machine (with real 4WD!)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Seriously, since when was Dodge Dart a cool name? When I hear "Dodge Dart," I think "rusted out shitheap" because that's the only experience anyone under the age of like 60 has had with the name.

When it's a Dodge Dart Swinger!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mattmofob posted:

The Fiat 500L is made in Serbia

At Zastava Automobili. :allears:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Actually, how doe Seafoam work, exactly? Is it something you add to the fuel, or is it something you introduce directly into the air intake or something? Does it actually work, or is it just a fad?

Cool dudes do both.

Works like magic.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Really the thing to do is to drive cars but then have an old 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot bed that you can toss firewood and engines in the back and tow big trailers and and load it up with hogs for market and give no fucks all day long.

:clint:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I had a Kia Rio hatch in the UK for two weeks last month and drove it from London to Iona and back, and was very impressed with everything about it.

Of course it had a 6-speed. :smug:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

That doesn't look all that small. Still, at least it's out there as an option.

Small like the Dakota was small, I think. Which is to say, not small at all.

I just hope they keep the small diesel option that's rumored. If they do it would be the right new truck for me. Oh also if it has a proper sized cargo box and comes in standard cab. If it's short box four door only then no deal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Weinertron posted:

I'm not convinced that they can make the new Colorado any cheaper at all than the half-tons. There are such huge economies of scale behind the F150, Chevy 1500, and Ram 1500, and I thought most of the reason the midsize truck market died was that for the same money, bigger trucks are more useful and more desirable. Especially by the time you get to the diesel, the Colorado has got to be the same price as an F150 with the 5.0.

They'll own the fleet market, though. Being able to sell on long term reliability and fuel economy will mean that you'll see a zillion W/T trim white painted Colorados with diesels in a few years.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I realize that I'm not the target market for the car, especially since I would never buy a Camaro.

But I would not pay 75K for a Camaro.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I've never had such an issue at a dealer. Scummy salesmen, terrible delays, etc. etc. But no matter the make, they're always hopping eager to get you out onto the road in whatever they have on the lot.

So anyway to change the subject to an actual new car, what the word on the new Volvo wagon, the V60 or whatever? The poverty spec one (not that that's really a thing in a Volvo) is a turbo four with plenty of go power and an 8 speed auto. Why am I not hearing more about this car?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I kinda feel like I'm a part of "the problem" because because we're car shopping for my wife and we absolutely HATE CUVs but I see this, show her, and we both go 'Yeah this looks good'. I don't get how I can look at almost any other CUV and go 'gross!' but look at this and thumbs up. I suppose it's because she drives a Nissan Cube right now so the quirk works much like has already been stated.

If it doesn't come with a manual option though it's a no go, she demands a manual and a hatch or wagon which means we'll probably add another VW to the stable since they are the only ones offering.

*ahem*

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Such a cool car. I'm sure it will be slow and terrible in curves, but that's not the point of a car like that. It is just a car with utility and economy to which great amounts of French style have been added.

We get precisely zero of those in the US, and if we did nobody would buy them. We are a shameful people in this regard.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

Buddy, that is balls to the walls ugly.

You probably don't like the Renault Dauphine, either. :wotwot:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

It's crazy that it is fairly trivial to pick up a lightly-used (or even new-that-didn't-sell) 400+ hp car for ~$25k USD these days.

Wait which ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

At local dealers I've seen 2014 V8 Mustangs asking $28k, prices are getting low to make room for the 2015s. If you beat up a dealer and ran a bunch of cross quotes, I bet you could swing one for $26k.

Oh, Mustangs. I thought we were talking about desirable cars.

ducks