Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hermansen posted:

I guess that's why ze germans gets almost as much horsepower out of 1.4 liters, as americans do from 4.

I heard the twincharger engine won't come to the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The V70 is going but the XC70 isn't. It sounds like the same thing as Subaru only selling the Outback version of the legacy wagon.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I noticed this article on Jalopnik also; it's not exactly on topic but it's funny.
http://jalopnik.com/5516121/gang-moves-1800-lb-of-coke-in-fake-dakar-rally-truck

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hahahaha , that's hilarious and awful. That better have a mute on it.

Engine:
[for the 5000th time]
Let's Mini!

Owner:
:suicide:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes. The early iterations actually announced your speed and had a Scottish engineer character but they found it too annoying. I think they actually plan on updating it with more voices so you can keep it fresh.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm hoping the lack of a manual transmission is because of the chicken tax build; apparently that's the same reason manual Sprinters don't really exist in North America.

According to the M-B rep I talked to about it, almost all automatic Sprinters built are destined for our shores because that's what the majority want and it's much cheaper just to bring over identical models powertrain-wise (the Sprinter is damned expensive either way, though). I'll bet that if they start building the Connect in the States that a manual transmission option will arise from the decreased cost of federalization.

They will start building them in the U.S. soon. Until then, they are all shipped over with 4 seats then for the 2 seat models the seats are removed to get around a 25% tax.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

If you're a real hardcore, must-save-weight, all-about-the-driving experience type looking for the M3, I'd expect you to be buying a real one anyway.

No matter who the manufacturer is, I get a little irritated with the whole "It's a lightweight special, yeah. We stuck a few extra holes in it, made some bits out of carbon fibre and would appreciate you giving us another twenty/thirty grand for the privilege. Don't worry, it's still got a stereo/aircon/traction control/leather/electric windows".

To put some things in perspective, the car has no rear seats, air conditioner, or audio system. It is equipped with a roll cage, 6-point belts and fire extinguisher. The suspension is fully adjustable. The car is over 400 pounds lighter than the standard model. There's also wiring for a remote kill switch, a front & rear adjustable wing, etc.

MikeyTsi posted:

Let's be honest, it's because it doesn't have an slushbox, right?
It comes with a 7 speed dual clutch high tech thingy.

I don't know if it's worth the price, but it's a pseudo-racecar.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wankie posted:

The North American Fiesta only comes with the excellent 1.6l Ti-VCT engine and either a 6 manual or a 6 speed dry clutch DSG, its VASTLY superior to Fit 1.5l with an old school 5 speed slushbox. Also the US Fiesta has SYNC which currently isn't available on overseas models, has far better fuel economy and a much lower price with more standard equipment thanks to lower costs being built in Mexico vs Japan.

I was excited for the new Mazda 2 but it has a 4 speed auto, no sync, etc. :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember riding in a Skoda in the early 90s, and we had to pull over and wait before the windshield wipers would start working. :confused:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Where's the Caravan turbo?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

Mercedes really has come a long way with their looks, considering the w203 sportcoupe.

That thing was ugly as sin and the interior is atrocious.

I actually liked the look of that model! Of course, I went on the mbworld.org forum to research it, and it seemed like every other thread was detailing an electrical failure of some kind...

Speaking of pickups though, the Mahindra website says that their trucks are arriving Fall this year. I wonder, it seems like they were supposed to come out more than a year ago.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That side profile shot reminded me of the shape of the Crossfire! Not sure if that's good.
Looks like they made the engine bay bigger, heard the current one is a pain to work on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've been wondering, does it have 4 foglights?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ozziegt posted:

(looks like a rendering, anyway).

It says photo-illustration

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How many people here are buying a car in Japan? Raise your hand.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sir Tonk posted:

Man I wish. It would be interesting to at least have it as an option and get with the insurance companies so people can get a larger discount. Would do wonders for this country.

I watched a tape on defensive driving at the insurance office for an extra discount when I first signed up. That was twelve years ago though.

I think anybody who doesn't like driving in traffic (everyone?) should read this site:
http://www.trafficwaves.org

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

That's cool but I'd be really scared to ride unless that flywheel case is really thick.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's matte paint!

MrSaturn posted:

New Camaro Z/28 Confirmed!

Man, I'm SUPER excited for this. I really thought we'd be seeing these on the road this year, but this gives me a bit more time to adjust to what I'm sure will be a crazy price tag. Those are some fat rear end rear tires, too! Holy crap. I wonder how well the adjustable suspension will work.

Next year? It seems like the Z/28 has been rumored forever, I would have thought it's much closer to production.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Ruh roh, the Mahindra pickup's fuel economy sucks:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/mahindra-tr40-rated-at-a-disappointing-1921-mpg.html

What the hell? I guess the city mileage is an improvement, but the highway mileage is not better than a gasser.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

All I'm saying is to reduce confusion if it all possible. On a shopping car, there's that placard that shows how you place your kid in the fold out "seat," along with 3 ways not to do it. On a shift knob, a pattern marks where the gates are located. These are all just little visual aids. It makes sense to me that, when my low fuel light comes on as a fuel pump, that maybe it's oriented that way for a reason.

Here, this is the perfect design -- insistent redundancy:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/493387779_698a706367_z.jpg

I'm not trying to disrespect you but really I think you are the only person who gets confused by this.

Also English is not everybody's language...cars can be designed for the world market.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

heat posted:

I thought they started putting them on the passenger side of all cars for safety reasons (so you aren't standing in traffic to use a gas can) but apparently not.

What kind of moon-car has the stalk on the right? Or are you switching between left hand drive and right hand drive?

In RHD cars sometimes they bother to switch the stalks and sometimes they don't.

And yeah, sometimes those MPG gauges are just calibrated manifold pressure gauges.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Nissan Altima Hybrid I had you just pushed a button on the door to unlock. That's cool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kill me now posted:

At every track day ive been to there have been at least a few mustangs... People track them all the time. Hell NASA has an a few classes that are basically dedicated to racing mustangs (AI and AIX are like 5 to 1 mustangs vs camaros/other)

More people drag race mustangs because drag racing is a $30 a day/night enterprise so any jackass with some power under the hood can do it. The ~10x increase in price and having to register in advance for most track days is what causes there to be fewer mustang owners tracking their car then going drag racing.

I remember back in the day people would put a lot of money into Griggs suspension for AIX classes (and AI? I don't remember the rules). I have not been to a NASA event even since the '05 models came out, though.

But really the 2010 Track Pack and 2011 models are just awesome. Who cares how it works, if it does?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

I live in Pennsylvania, so.....

I'm not even going to get into the rest of all of the justifications I'm hearing for driving a minivan. If you've (the collective you to include everyone else ranting about this) resigned yourself to wanting that, that's obviously what you're going to get or continue to own one. It makes it no difference to me. But you can't possibly say that you care that much about driving experience, as there are very clearly alternatives that can both perform the same functions and not suck.

Because those of you railing against this need to believe you made the right choice, you don't want to hear it. I get that. No one wants to hear they made a multiple-thousand dollar mistake or that they aren't as much of a driving enthusiast as they think the are while posting on a forum full of enthusiasts.

Yeah man. Major uncool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It will I'm pretty sure, I think there are some other cars using a similar system. There is even a Buick with a small battery, but it's nowhere near as powerful I think, it is meant for fuel economy.

As for Kia, it was mentioned in another thread how great the new ones are looking; apparently they hired a designer from Audi.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Matlock posted:

The new Honda Civic revealed at Frankfurt looks like a Kia/Hyundai. Strange.

It's not that different from the current one (Euro model)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_Civic_2006_titan_hl.jpg

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hot Cops posted:

I know the V8.mp3 in the M5 is bad, but isn't BMW doing something similar to get the I6 sound out of the new 4 cylinder they're putting in the new Z cars? At least the M5 isn't faking it -as- bad.

yes

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
2wd Subarus are actually FWD...That's more of an exception though I guess.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah what is the AWD setup with the new CVT? I think the one on the upcoming Impreza is basically the same as the one on the current Legacy, right? Is it basically the same as the previous automatic?

On that note, the new Impreza looks better than the old one, but it looks like no turbo version for the time being and the only engine choice looks seriously underpowered - 148 hp and 145 lb/ft, compared to 170 hp rated output for the outgoing 2.5 liter. Combine that with drivetrain loss due to AWD and possible funky feel due to the mandatory CVT, and it seems like the NA Impreza will be slow as hell.

I mean, I know power isn't everything, but considering the price is staying exactly the same as the outgoing model, the new Impreza really sounds like a serious downgrade.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20114533-48/the-2012-subaru-impreza-your-first-real-car-first-drive/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/03/2012-subaru-impreza-first-drive-review/

They say the CVT is different for the 2.0L, but all that seems to be mentioned is the way it responds, not the AWD system.

Yes the MPG number is important. I bet my dad will be happy with the new numbers, he was hoping for the diesel to come to the U.S. market but these numbers aren't bad at all in my opinion.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I loved the factory. I did the tour in 2008.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Everything I've read before had said they are continuing development, but mostly as a side project. If it's actively being worked on that's cool. I hope that they can make an emissions friendly fuel efficient model, but at this point I'd be surprised.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PeterWeller posted:

I thought the old Escape was based off the 626.

Yes, the Ford CD2 platform was based off of the 626 platform.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
While talking to some guys at Ferrari, they told me I'm super cool and get mega babes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rscott posted:

Did someone hit it on the rear quarter panel?

Sure looks like it. I wonder if having a crease on the body like that makes it easier to damage.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I blame always illuminated gauge clusters. It'd be a lot more obvious if you can't read the speedometer. (maybe...if you don't already notice you don't have headlights maybe you aren't that attentive?)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BabyMauler posted:

Wasn't the scuttlebutt with Honda that the new Civic and CRV were being redesigned when the economy went down the shitter. Than they decided to hang onto their cash rather than spend money on products that they knew people would buy regardless of bad press.

No.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

I think your problem is that you think "US emissions and safety requirements" is some kind of requirement for cars to be good or safe or something, instead of just a bureaucratic non-tariff barrier to protect the domestic car companies.

I've wondered about this. Are the U.S. safety and emission requirements a trade barrier? Whose interests does it protect? What would harmonization of standards do? Wouldn't the U.S. manufacturers want harmonization too, now that they sell lots of cars everywhere? Or, maybe it just makes the cost too high for small time players to enter.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

law abiding rapist posted:

If you're ever in Hawaii you'll learn to hate powder-blue convertible Mustangs since every other car there seems to be one. It's worse than Priuses in LA.

They're the rental cars, at least on Maui. I wonder if they're still buying Sebrings / 200s for convertibles too?

Also I saw a TV commercial where a Mustang goes through a bunch of different color combos/ grille styles (including Boss 302 and '13 Shelby).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

angryhampster posted:

Ford did it with reasonable success using Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln.

Crown Vic
Grand Marquis
Town Car

Explorer
Mountaineer
Aviator

Is that reasonable success? Mercury has been killed off, how is Lincoln fairing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The answer is always Mazda.