Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

Holy poo poo those tail-lights, anyone else notice how far they stick out from the body?

They camo the lights too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

wav3form posted:

The utility of a minivan cannot be beat. I love cars but I rented a minivan once to haul a bunch of stuff to a nearby city and drat that thing was nice. Easy to drive, comfortable captain style chairs, tons of space. Way more useful to me than a pickup or SUV would be.

People can jibber jabber all they want but my fondest memories of driving will always involve hole shotting various performance cars at lights with a dodge caravan, doing vicious peg leg burnouts on the way to victory with that sick amount of torque. The best being an F360 who we beat and then kept going at it with us at lights until he finally beat us off the line.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Lowclock posted:

Oh, I see. Well in that case, I am building an eleventy billion rotor megacar that will do 0-light in .0000008 seconds and actually rearranges matter around it to suit its course. It's coming next year guys, I swear! Ask about our bridges.

The numbers themselves aren't that ludicrous, Funny cars already do that type of acceleration. But funny cars also produce 5000+hp.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Why stop there, why not have the nav screen flash images and videos of increasing disturbing content to match the throttle opening. 100% throttle is photos of mass pits full of bodies, the burnt remains of oil rig crew members who've died in accidents, mass death and destruction caused by oil. The blackbox recording of people in the last second of their lives crying for but a few more moments on this earth as their existence is snuffed out capturing the fuel of your vehicle. All that fuel you're pissing away. A slower moving car pulls into your lane on the highway, you hit the blinker and your passengers face blank with the horror of what they will have to experience. Its not what the car will be showing them though, theyre saddled with the knowledge of how readily disgrace the memory of the dead you lead footed sick gently caress.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

New Hyundai Genesis (Ultra? SS? GTP?) spotted.

That's a really strange location for the blower, I guess since the Hyundai 3.8l is a 60* V engine they can't fit it in the engine valley?

That actually looks like the aftercooler is in the valley with the roots blower hanging over one of the cylinder head.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

Are you sure about? Like 100% sure? I'm pretty sure if I take the time to go research I'm going to find someone that contradicts you.

Only if they turn left or turn left sideways.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

If there were some crazy alternate reality where NASCAR used cars that were closer to production vehicles and raced on real tracks with left and right turns it would look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdHJRG0jsA

That alternate reality is Australia and drat if V8 supercar racing isn't awesome. One hell of a last lap in the Bathurst 1000 race over the weekend.

Or Watkins Glen where there is actually some surprisingly good racing with the Cars of Tomorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUltYOtNqmI

NASCAR road racing has actually been pretty entertaining to watch since it started but there has been some legitimately good racing from it pretty recently.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 12, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Rabble posted:

Oh god, looking at the comparison between the FRS and the S2000...there is no way a 6'3" dude is going to fit in this is there? :smith:

It's very dependent on the seating position.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Im surprised with a shorter engine like the boxer and the dimensions so close to the s2000 but a longer wheelbase they still have the engine partly infront of the strut towers. Guess that's a bitch to manage without a transaxle or without ruining passenger space.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Porsche unveiled the most important part of the new 911:

I really want to try that out.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Having been out perusing cars with my old man for a few days, here's something that's been winding me up: Lack of information on AWD systems.

Dealers, brochures, reviews and manufacturers' websites will tell you drat near everything about the features of a car, and when you're talking to a salesman they can normally tell you if the car's autobox (for example) is a traditional auto, a CVT, or a DSG design. But you just try asking them how the four wheel drive works on a car equipped with it, and watch them fumble.

I can imagine you asking all these questions and the salesperson meekly restating dofferent version of the statement 'It takes power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip :downs:'

Throatwarbler posted:

Who really understands how AWD works anyway? I'm not sure I do. It's not a very intuitive subject. v:saddowns:v

It's actually really easy to understand, it's just one of those things that makes more sense when you see it rather than read about it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

You can get the TSX with the 2.4 and a 6MT. You just can't get a 6MT wagon, if that's what you meant.

Yea, the TSX has a 6MT.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

PT6A posted:

In this case, it appears so. But this is not true in all cases, and it's nice to see the angle and length of the shifter too.

kimbo305 posted:

I think the girth of the knob is a big deal.

Whoa hey now, it's not about the size of the shifter, it's how you use it. That Acura shifter may look small and feel awkward in your hand but everyone knows that the action of the box is excellent. It's tight, slick, and communicative.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

bidikyoopi posted:

Ugh, the new Ferrari grill is not going in the right direction. Everything else sounds awesome though, especially the V12 that redlines at 8700 holy poo poo

edit: how can that be an improvement over this? (face-wise)

Yea that new grill is pretty weird looking, but in other photos the body actually looks really good.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Evanauto posted:

The problem is, that the FF is as cool as hell, but Ferrari decided to reinvent the wheel and go with a dual gearbox that shuts down one of the transmissions if you go into fifth.

Ferrari essentially outsmarted themselves.

Unless it's geared like a rally car, once you're at speeds that 5th gear is used for you're probably not going to see much advantage from AWD.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

F1 style fog/brake light?

Yea, for people who haven't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rQcF8gZRmY&feature=related

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

When the people stop falling for cheap ploys to get votes and start demanding real solutions to actual problems

Didn't they just mandate stability control that can't be turned off on all new cars starting in 2013?

It's actually not a terrible idea, I've almost been backed into by a few SUVs because the rooftop of my S2000 barely comes up to the glass line on most newer SUVs. There's been a few cases where it's just a moron who doesn't check their mirrors but there are a few that legit just could not see poo poo and had a hard time judging where my car is. Of course now there will be people who will hit poo poo because they only use the camera.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So, the article states, "For the 2012 model year, 45 percent of vehicles offer a rearview camera as standard equipment, according to the automotive research Web site Edmunds.com. It is an optional feature on 23 percent of models."

So these cameras have been standard on almost half of new vehicles for half a year. Google says that 13.3 million vehicles were sold in the US in 2011. With over 3 million cars with backup cameras on them on the road already (not even counting the pre-2012MY cars that had them), you have to ask: so why aren't they already touting impressive data showing the huge decrease in rearward visibility-mediated accidents?

Because you're introducing it into a pool of 150+ millions vehicles that dont have them and deaths/injuries aren't gauged year by year but over a long time. In a 20 year period airbags and seat bets have massively reduced the number of death/injuries per mile but the overall number still remains pretty consistent. Year to year can be a fluke, 10 years is a trend.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 2, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There was also the news item from last week where Subaru Australia expressed disdain at having to listen to what other countries' Subaru offices think is best for the WRX/STI instead of turning it away from the fat fragile beast it's becoming and back at being a rally rocket. I say listen to the Australians.

I'm betting the only reason Subaru Australia cares is because CT and KB keep sending them John Galt monologue length e-mails about handling and rally and the wrx that may or may not be coherent. They're secretly hoping turning it back into a rally rocket will make these e-mails stop.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Well yeah, you don't need to open the engine to install a dry sump but there still at least a few thousand dollars in parts.

How much oil would a dry sump on a viper need? 20 litres?

Dry sumps aren't so much expensive to implement as they are impractical for a road car. They need a lot more oil than a normal wet sump and are harder to get oil up to temp; in reality you can engineer around a wet sump until a certain g threshold which a road car wont likely see.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A lot of the poo poo you posted here is wrong. Materials used in vehicles are neither cheaper nor heavier. If anything, materials are lighter and more expensive, vehicles just require more of them to perform to current standards. If you were to use the construction techniques used in, for example, a Volkswagen Tiguan, and only had to build a vehicle that would perform similarly to a 1995 Honda Civic's level, that car would be light as hell.

Also, HSS, VHSS and UHSS aren't actually very much heavier than mild steel.

Yea, cars will generally weigh a certain amount for total overall length. Manufacturers have been able to put in way more stuff and manage to keep around the same weight because of material improvements. One of the bigger factors in cars getting heavier is they are getting bigger in dimensions, a new 5 is about as big as an older 7 and they weigh pretty much the same. My S2000 is about the same size as a del sol but only weighs 300lbs more and has a windshield that can support the weight of the car, unlike a del sol.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 26, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

First test numbers for the 2013 GT500

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1205_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_first_test/

0-60mph in 3.5 seconds
0-100mph in 7.7 seconds
11.6@125.7mph quarter mile.

That quarter mile slots it in nicely between the 458 italia and the mercedes SLS AMG for strait line speed. It sounds like it's a lot easier to handle than the old car as well.

This is pretty cool, when I'm 60 I'm going to tell my kids about how I could go out and buy a factory car that had six hunnert horsepower and would get my rear end thrown out of a dragstrip for exceeding the rollbar breakout ET from the showroom floor for under 60k out the door :911:

YEA IT EVEN HAD A FOUR BARREL HOLLEY LOBE TVS SUPERCHARGER

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 21, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

D C posted:

X-drives are all autos are they not?

They made some manuals but they're pretty rare.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

In the middle of the video, it says the dual clutch gearbox came out during the MkIV. Really?

The first gen Audi TT 3.2 had it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

I think they were told "Go look at some KIA's and rip them off" and did so in committee fashion.

It was designed in a wind tunnel powered by farts.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Yummers posted:

When you have a flashy car that attracts attention, people come at you for different reasons under the guise of friendship -- you have to be able to determine which "friends" are fair-weathered. In the case of this story, I was hanging out with some sloppy drunks who don't appreciate other peoples stuff and were pathetically lingering around my car trying to catch pussy shrapnel. Lesson learned/never again/moving on. I'm going to another game tonight with a different group of friends and they're all about taking BART. Those are my people!

Don't worry Yummers, I feel you. When I first learned to drive manual, I borrowed my uncles 2004 C5 Convertible 6 speed. He came and picked me up and told me it was mine for a week. Just mine. All alone with the car and all I needed to do was give him a ride home. He asked me to stop at Starbucks on the way back and was telling me how this car would get me lots of attention from the ladies. As we parked and were getting out he said "You know Muffinpox, I know you're young but the kind of girls who come after you for having something like this aren't the type of girls you want to be in-" and then a deafening roar. The antagonistic screams of a thousand woman shrilled in the background "Oh my god that is so cool!", "Nice car, can we go for a ride with the top down?", "Sweet ride" were chanted over and over. The deafening roars of pussy bombs going off, pussy shrapnel flying everywhere. A piece caught my uncle in the leg and he laid on the ground bleeding out. I jumped through the cabin and surveyed the wound, it was bleeding badly. I jammed my finger into the wound and held the artery shut until I could figure out what to do. "We need to get you in a car and back to a hospital" I told him but all he could do is shake his head and say "No.. no.. this is an expensive car do you know what blood will do to the leather? It might have to be detailed twice." I'll never forget being covered in his blood in the parking lot and his last words to me, "Is the 3M clearbra doing a good job against the pussy shrapnel... this paint is... expensive..."

RIP Uncle David.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I found this thread via the leper's colony and just want to say thanks for the entertainment. I will endeavor to use the term "pussy shrapnel" in conversation.

Also, I have a friend who frequently laments that his DB7 lacks cupholders.

The IHSA has a rating system kind of like the NHRA for ET, except in the IHSA case it is short for Estimated Tramps. Any car expected to pull at least 11.5ETs or more needs a pussy scatter shield to protect the driver from the pussy shrapnel. This shield used to take up the place of cup holders in older cars.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 3, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

I... kind of like this.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

88h88 posted:

Is the Camaro as big as it looks? In photos it always seems very portly.

Yea they're about the size of a 5 series.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Das Volk posted:

So a frat destroyed a Continental to make that thing :ughh:

IOwnCalculus put this guy on secret double probation.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The second part isn't legal is it? I thought they made some law a few years back so that dealers couldn't require you to get routine service done at their shops to keep your warranty intact.

I think the magnusson-moss act prevents them from making that arrangement.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

angryhampster posted:

This would fall into anti-trust legislation, correct? The Magnusson-Moss Warranty act would have some sort of say with it, but I'm not sure exactly what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Magnusson moss prevents dealerships from voiding your warranty for taking the vehicle to a non approved shop for repair.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Hashal posted:

Contracts don't let you get around the law, regardless if both parties signed it. You'd be surprised at how many EULAs have verbiage in them that would never stand up in court.

Waivers telling you that you are signing away your right to sue are my favorites.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Faerunner posted:

What went on with the LT1 between 1973 and 1992?

GM smoked a lot of weed and that part of its life is a little hazy.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The thing was that there never really were any turbo charged V8s in the past - How many can you name? I guess for the reasons of the exhaust pulses and packaging. Having an efficient turbo V8 required a completely new ground up engine design, which Audi and BMW have now done. I don't think they are going to make any NA versions of those engines. MB's 5.5l AMG engine still uses a traditional intake/exhaust flow direction though.

There have been a fair amount starting with the 288GTO/F40 and Lotus Esprit, but a bunch of manufacturers rolled out twin turbo v8s in the 2000s.

edit: oh my god this title

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

davebo posted:

What happened to calling it the F70? I thought it went F40, F50, Enzo (F60) and then they'd go back to F70?

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrrari REALLY wanted to call it the F150 to spite Ford as a celebration of the 50th anniversary of their original spiting of Ford.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Q_res posted:

Well, in fairness to him, it wouldn't be the first time Ford showed up out of nowhere to humiliate Ferrari.

It also wouldn't be the first time Ford had an F1 team.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
The C7 looks way better than the renders, dat gurney flap :swoon:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

New Corvette looks fantastic. I think I'm more excited about the current C6's dropping in price though, they're still great cars.

I hope the GS/Z06s come down quite a bit, that widebody makes the normal C6 just look so plain jane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

Porsche has a 7 speed manual and 7 speed dual clutch transmission in the new 911.

I wonder if the 'vette is getting the same manual, ZF is the supplier for the 911 and the C7 and both are using a 7 speed transaxle.