Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
It sometimes means you get weird situations - all NZ New and Japanese import Subarus have the indicator stalk on the right, except for when they started bringing in diesel Legacys, which are European spec, so have the stalk on the left. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

Cars in general are expensive here and Mitsubishi is notorious for listing bullshit prices and discounting for everyone (I'd say mid-20s is more realistic)

Yeah, these guys are flogging them for $22.6k+GST with alloys and usually a few years of servicing thrown in, I know a few companies who have picked them up recently. Half the price of anything else new, but it doesn't stack up against a used Japanese import Hiace or whatever for the self-employed tradies. Deathtraps, but cheap deathtraps at least.

http://www.andrewsimms.co.nz/features/specials/new_pre-registered_mitsubishi_l300_van_clearance

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
488 GTB

3.9l V8, twin-turbo

Power (hp): 670@8,000rpm
Torque (lb ft): 560@3,000rpm
0-62mph: 3.0sec
Top speed: 209mph
Weight: 1,370kg

:dance:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Not to mention that down here if you need a 4WD for work it usually means you need a tray as well, which no Jeep offers anyway.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

Not even close

Give me an old style Volvo, or one of these

People like to rag on them, but one of these is the frontrunner for my next car. A lot of bang for the buck, and the amount of space in the back of these is just insane:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

angryhampster posted:

What is the incentive to get this over an Explorer?

In the countries it's sold in, the fact that the Explorer doesn't exist. FWIW, that pic is taken in NZ, and even tho I drive past one of the biggest Ford dealerships in the country every day, I've still never seen one in the flesh, so I don't think it's selling particularly well.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah I'm the same but then I really dig Citroen's desire to put out completely batshit looking cars when the mood takes them. In a world where car design is trying to put multiple creases into every single body panel it can, the Cactus is refreshingly clean and simple. For that reason I can't bring myself to hate it.

They also have a really fun colour range. Almost none of which I personally would choose, but they really suit the cars. They've got a baby blue in particular (a colour I hate) that's absolutely perfect for a little French runabout.

Edit: got a mate who works for Citroen here in NZ, says the Cactus flies out the door to young wealthy mothers, the weird plastic poo poo on the doors is amazing in mall car parks.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
As stupid big as an F150 is for our roads, if we could buy them for the same price as Americans can, you better believe the F150 would be a top seller here instead of the Ranger.

Trying to compare mid-rangeish models:

F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 3.3l 216kw/360Nm = US$41,855 = NZ$56,867 +15% GST = NZ$65,397
Ranger XLT 4x4 Double Cab 3.2TD 147kw/490Nm = NZ$63,040

19/25mpg in the F150 vs 23/33mpg in the Ranger.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Exactly, now imagine if instead of an 8 year old truck, that same $100k bought you a brand new factory RHD F150 instead. All the bros buying fully loaded Ranger Wildcats on 24's would leap at them in a second.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Powershift posted:

All they had to do was build a baby Escalade off the Colorado. Instead they rebadged a rental car.

Going back a bit, but funnily enough all this work is already done for them:

https://www.holden.co.nz/cars/trailblazer

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CornHolio posted:

Have they ever made an extended cab ute?

I mean other than the Brat :v:

edit: OOH AND THE BAJA

Well that, and we call the double cab Hilux/Ranger/Colorado/Amarok/Navara/X-Class things utes too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Car and Driver is running the exact same “Is this the end of Porsche as we know it?” line everyone threw out when the Cayenne first landed and then helped turn Porsche into the most profitable brand in the business.

These cars are what let them keep making a bakers dozen of different 911GT2 RS Spyder Web 2.0 Cup models until the heat death of the universe.

Personally I’d go with either a regular Cayenne or a Panamera Turbo Hybrid Sport Turismo (in brown obviously) but this new deal is OK too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mobby_6kl posted:

Weird that they decided to just replace the Corvette with a mid-engned car. It's like if Porsche kept calling the 928 the 911. I thought it would make much more sense to do what Ford did with the GT and go way higher performance (and price) with the new model, but I guess they don't have an existing recognizable brand to milk that's higher than the Corvette, but they could've called it the Frigate or something.

I’ve wondered the same myself. Maybe not reaching as high as Ford GT pricing, but for sure a higher tier or performance and price while still retaining the classic Corvette layout. If they hadn’t already reused the Stingray name, that could have been perfect, because of, y’know, the sting in the tail.

I’ll get my coat...

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Better looking than the JDM Toyota Alphard at least

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Frond posted:

I’m fond of the 1G Elgrands.

I prefer the 2nd gen myself, and the best part is it's built on the same FM platform as the 350Z/Skyline/Infiniti G, so it's basically a drift wagon.

And while the outside of the Alphard/LM might be polarising, the interiors are pimp as poo poo:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I think it looks great, it still looks like “a Corvette”, awesome price and RHD for the first time is fantastic. Dry sump setup looks neat.

From the launch event, not only do they claim it can actually hold two bags of golf bats, but also that the luggage kit they sell for the C7 can also fit in the new car too, so I guess no problems with a weekend getaway?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Kraftwerk posted:

But for whatever reason Toyota absolutely hates power across their entire lineup and just can’t keep up with its competition.

Yet weirdly, someone at Toyota still has a sense of humour, as they built the Blade Master G, which is a Corolla hatch with a Camry V6.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Wrar posted:

I don't know why the would go 4 banger when they just built a sweet I6.

My guess is something to do with the length of the I6 under the C’s shorter bonnet and pedestrian impact standards.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I’ve got relatives in Italy and from their descriptions, yeah calling it a first world country is certainly a stretch. Never mind that the various regions all loving hate each other and don’t consider any of the others to even be “real” Italians. One example from my uncle, he’s spent 2 years trying to get a stable internet connection and none of the companies involved really care that much. Currently, he can’t even receive incoming international calls. Can call out just fine, the caller ID we get is the right number, it just doesn’t work when you call it back.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When I went I was shocked at how filthy Rome is, trash everywhere. And the amount of graffiti was crazy.

Apparently Romans take their graffiti very seriously as part of the political and social culture of the city. We see graffiti “ruining” grand old ruins, Romans feel that if their ancestors were able to do a quick throw up saying “Nero’s a motherfucker”, so can they.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

stevobob posted:

Fixed because why the gently caress can't we get the cool trucks the rest of the world gets

Like what? Hilux I guess, which might sell because Toyota, Nissan Navara? Its brother, the Mercedes X-Class? Mitsubishi Triton? The Chinese trucks? Who’s going to buy any of them, especially when domestic full size trucks are a vastly better value proposition why bother? You now get the Ranger and the Colorado, how are those selling?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KillHour posted:

Edit: people judge cars as "practical" by how much stuff they can haul. Trying to get 2 young kids, a dog and a week's worth of groceries into and out of a subway car sounds like hell.

That’s why people generally don’t do that. I don’t know why you’d take your dog grocery shopping in the first place, but also in places with good density and transit, you don’t haul a weeks work of groceries anyway, you grab a couple of days worth tops, or you’re buying from shops much closer to home. Or you’re getting your poo poo delivered anyway.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KillHour posted:

Maybe if you're eating something different every day? Lots of people buy in bulk and meal prep because it's way cheaper. For example, where I shop (Wegmans), I can buy a single boneless chicken breast at 3 bucks/lb or I can buy a family pack of 6 lbs for 10 bucks and freeze it. It's literally half the price. That's not even taking into account specifically bulk places like BJs or Sam's club.

Well yes, lots of people do eat something different every day. The diversity of cities lends itself to better choice. One of the other things about inner city life is smaller housing - you simply don’t have huge amounts of storage, particularly in shared housing setups common amongst younger people, so bulk buying isn’t a thing. I might not be bulk buying pounds of chicken, but you can still get value by buying what’s on special. Stop in at the micro supermarket or butcher on the way from the train to your home and pork chops are cheap? Looks good, guess we’re having pork chops tonight! Lamb cheap? Sweet, that’s tomorrow sorted too. Running late and feeling lazy, you might hit up your favourite local eatery instead. It’s a totally different lifestyle. To people used to a car-free inner city life, your argument is similar to the guy who buys a full-size pickup just in case he needs to haul full sheets of plywood or a tray of compost like once a year.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KillHour posted:

Have you ever lived outside of a major city? I've done both and you sound like you've never left Manhattan. What you're describing is unattainable for most of the country and most people couldn't afford it even if it existed.

Where have I suggested that this is how the rest of the country should live? This debate started with the premise that carrying 2 kids a dog and a weeks worth of groceries on a subway is hard, I’ve simply been pointing out how inner city dwellers simply don’t live like that. I don’t even live in the US, but in a city of 1.5m+, I’ve lived both in an inner city walkable neighbourhood and in areas where you need a car, so I can tell the difference.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mobby_6kl posted:

It's gonna be like 15k EUR, isn't it.

Firstly, it’s not a car, technically it’s a “quadricycle” meaning French 14 year olds can drive it, all the way to its blistering 28mph top speed. 43 mile range. The doors are identical both sides to reduce cost, so one is hinged normally, the other is suicide style.

As for cost, “Citroen says to buy one outright will cost from €6,000, but that you’ll also be able to get one for just €19.99 a month with a €2,644 deposit. Plus, if you don’t want to own your own Ami, there’ll be a fleet of them available from ridesharing services costing as little as 26 cents per minute.”

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Many times I’ve been sorely tempted by an S5, I think they are incredibly handsome with a great stance.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Family Values posted:

Rest of it's really pretty but god loving dammit that iPad glued to the dash. :negative:

Which one do you hate the most, given there’s like 4 of them.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

stevobob posted:

I'm genuinely excited about the Koenigsegg Freevalve engine. This seems like it'll be the biggest revolution in ICE technology since variable valve timing, except WAY better, and should massively improve efficiency, not to mention it's just really drat cool. Christian von Koenigsegg says they run it in 2-stroke mode at certain RPM ranges and then it sounds like a straight-six. This thing is insanely cool.

Amongst all the amazing stats, the 1000km range (50km electric) seems to be getting buried.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Can’t figure out how to sell RHD anything, but 400hp vans? Come on down we’ll get you squared away. :rms:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Franco Caution posted:

-The Front seat's being on stilts/platforms in order to reuse the Model 3 seats but make them sit higher up.

That’s not at all unusual, just stands out a bit more since they cheaped out on putting a sliding tray or cubby under there.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ultimate Mango posted:

Feet need to go there.

Shitloads of cars have this feature, they don’t go the whole depth of the seat, plenty of room for rear passenger feet.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Suzuki NZ is doing Jimny flatdeck conversions, which are awesome:

But not awesome is the price, NZ$37990, $12K more than an entry level Jimny with more equipment. That’s almost single cab Colorado or twin cab Navara pricing. On the other hand, this thing will billy goat up some high country farm trails you wouldn’t take those bigger trucks up.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 28, 2020

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Saukkis posted:

A computer then chooses the most economic throttle, RPM and gearing to achieve the desired acceleration.

That’s literally how CVT’s already work, ignoring the dumb faked shift points some do.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Edward IV posted:

As someone who has disconnected themselves from the news for over two years and never bothered to watch his inauguration speech, is this really how he talks? Hence, :thejoke:

Just wanted to make sure.
:negative:

Well it’s like that, but with even more incoherent babbling and much more straying off topic. And more self aggrandisement.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

PT6A posted:

Periodic reminder that “it’s not for me” doesn’t mean it’s bad. A Hyundai Elantra was likely not built with me in mind as a prospective customer, but they are decent. The Nissan Sentra was also not built for me, and it’s proof that Satan walks among us and is employed by Nissan to make us suffer.

As a die hard Nissan tragic, there’s no way I’d buy almost anything they currently sell over the equivalent Hyundai. That said if I was buying new cars anyway, there’s probably others I’d buy over the Hyundai too. Also Hyundai should do an N version of everything to sell.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Also ventilators don’t just suck and blow. Pressure, volume, timing all need to be adjustable IIRC. And it all needs to be sterilisable. And also not kill people, you can’t just wing it, like you can with say ignition locks, fuel tanks or airbags.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mobby_6kl posted:

Okay so does an inline-6 fit into a miata? They are going to make it fit, right?

Well a Barra fits, depending on your definition of “fits”.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

redgubbinz posted:

First and second generation had a normal torque converter 5 speed, it's been fine for my 2010 so far, haven't heard about any issues. No idea about the CVT in the third generation though.

Markets outside the US did get CVT’s. The latter facelifted version with flappy paddles is better, but the early ones are utter garbage.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

You Am I posted:

They tend to make SUVs that seem to be loved by most Australians because of the length of the new car warranty on them, and the Triton ute is selling in the bucketloads, once again due to the warranty period.

I think both Nissan and Mitsubishi at least in Australia have given up selling regular "passenger" cars like sedans and hatchbacks and just depending on commercial vehicles and SUVs to get them the sales.

Outlander PHEVs seem to sell well here in NZ, as did the ancient Lancer, although they were help by being cheap as gently caress with excellent finance deals. Not sure about the Tritons, but I’ve seen a few Ute comparisons where the even the journos/hosts were surprised at how much they liked the Triton. IIRC the interior, standard features, ride and off road performance were all praised along with the price and warranty. Never driven one myself so just quoting.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Soul Red with black wheels and blacked badging and trim is amazing, but yeah an MX5 should come in way more bright colours.

AI > Read about a new car you like? Biweekly bitching about screens in the news thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
How about a 1 of 10 Bentayga Pikes Peak Edition?