Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Manual in ICE actually does make sense still. On a EV yeah nah even this manual die-hard thinks that's dumb. The response issues of auto and CVT with pedal play are just not there and the big issue of chassis response on a EV platform - weight - ain't fixed.

I have a theoretical problem with it (it's pointless mechanically) but if it's more fun to drive then I'm not sure I'll care. Even in an ICE car, the reason to buy a manual is driver engagement — really the only practical benefit I'm aware of is less complexity and potentially less expensive to fix long-term. But people buy them because they're fun, despite being "worse" in almost every objective metric. I'm down with anything that makes EVs more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

My 2019 Type-R is pretty non-intrusive, with the center screen being basically just a platform for Android Auto. The only hiccup being having to press a "climate" button to get to a touch screen to change the direction of the air.

I just bought a '23 Type R for basically the same reason. A fun car made in 2023 that's actually sort of simple.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

I do not understand the split headlight trend. The front of the current gen looks about 100x better to me.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Nice Hyundai Kona.

VAG continues to stray further from the light of my B8.5 A4 which was so clean and simple in design. The world has moved on and I’ll always be kicking and screaming.

It's really a bummer. That generation of VW/Audi design was great. Simple, timeless designs. Physical controls on the interior. Every model that's been updated since then looks worse, and if this A6 is any indication things are going downhill from here. It's going to suck if the new Audis look even worse than new BMWs, which at least have some character in their ugliness.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

TheBacon posted:

All sportbacks suck rear end. They would all be improved by being real sedans or actual wagons :colbert:

This includes the dumb type r btw

Wow 100% disagree. I'll take any kind of hatch over trunk every time. I literally in my own life sold Elantra N and bought Type R to gain a hatch among other things.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

TheBacon posted:

You should have just gotten a veloster N or golf r!!! And gotten a real hatch instead of some half assed barely more useful than a trunk bullshit.

Sportbacks suck because they look like rear end and only offer the most marginal of space over a normal trunk. Wagon or real hatch are the actual preferred what you should have if you want some practicality!!!

Golf R was in the running until I did a test drive and experienced the interior. Veloster N was too small and a step back from the EN.

That said I do 100% prefer hatch or wagon to sportback. Sportback is an inherently dumb design and if the same model offers the choice (a la SQ5) I will always choose hatch. However even sportback is much more practical than a sedan trunk for my use. It depends on what you carry, but I think for most people the CTR will be more practical than Golf R and Veloster N, but that's only because it's like 12"+ longer.

I'd probably not have bought the CTR if my RS3 was a hatch but the monsters at Audi won't bring that to the US.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Guinness posted:

true wagon > hatchback > liftback > sedan

sorry that's the rules

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I couldn’t have fit most of the poo poo I put in my Fiesta into a Civic Liftback because it was more than a foot tall.

That said, the Civic is the size of a Buick Century, so… I guess that’s worse for the civic huh

You can put the Fiesta and everything in it into the Civic and then put something shaped liked a triangle behind that.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
The CX-70 makes zero sense to me and as someone who likes Mazda I'm frustrated that they seem to have no idea WTF they're doing. The fact that the CX-90 sorta sucks when in theory it should be great is also a bummer. I'm hoping Mazda Spirit Racing is real and not just an appearance package.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

What would be the ideal dimensions in your mind for a cx70?

dissss posted:

Something around Highlander size would make sense

Literally anything would make more sense than making the exact same car but with no rear seats.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

So like 3-4 inches smaller?

I don’t think anyone’s gonna notice.

I think people would've bought the euro CX-60. It's a similar size to the CX-50 but more premium, RWD biased, inline six, etc. It's a totally different car. Right now the only way to get that platform in the US is the CX-90, which is larger than a lot of people want. The CX-70 does not solve that problem. It does not solve any problem.

Taking a car and making no changes except for a rear seat delete is why trim levels were invented. From Car and Driver: "Imagine Toyota renaming 4Runners with the optional third row the 5Runner."

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Kendal0 posted:

so I went with the next best thing, an Integra Type S, a.k.a a type R with a seat my fat, old rear end fits in.

How's the road noise? It's sorta killing me on my '23 Type R. I've never owned a Honda before though and maybe they're just loud as gently caress? My last car was an RS3 so some of it is probably coming from that, but before that I had an Elantra N, Fiesta ST, and Mazdaspeed3 — the Type R feels louder than everything. Maybe I'm just getting old.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Kendal0 posted:

Road noise is less than the Type R. That was a design goal. It’s much quieter than my 2017 BRZ so for me, it feels very quiet. About the same as our 2014 Audi A4, a bit more tire noise but otherwise about the same.

Nice. It still seemed pretty loud on my test drive but I didn't have the Type R to compare at that time. My perfect-ish car would be a Type R with heated Type R seats, the ITS exhaust, and less road noise.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
GR Corolla is sorta packaged like poo poo and has noticeably less room inside than a Golf R even though it’s larger on the outside. Yes I am bitter because I want one but am not willing to return to near-Fiesta-ST levels of interior room. So I bought a Civic Type R. But if you only regularly have one passenger and don’t often need to carry large things the GRC is a cool car.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

They do sell the Elantra N here so ill give it a try since its the same price range as the XSE.

Elantra N is an incredible car for the $ but you have to decide where you fit along the line of good driving dynamics vs. comfort. It's a blast to drive but you can get a more comfortable, more luxurious car for the same money or less. And you have to decide if you're willing to deal with Hyundai for problems or maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Incredible things are happening in china

I wish we got stuff like this in the US. Our auto companies need to get their poo poo together.