Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Naky posted:

I look at the picture for that car and the first thing I notice is for all that money and all that styling, you still don't get xenon projectors in your headlights. Guess they had to save money somewhere with those rims.
Clear rims are never going to be implemented until someone creates dust-less brakes. They show up on concept cars and sometimes showroom floors, but you're not going to see one on the road.

I tell myself this so I can pretend that car's not really coming out as pictured. Maybe they'll change enough that it won't break my heart that I'll never own one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

e: woops

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

I'm willing to bet those wheels will be smaller, rims not clear, brake discs probably reduced to accommodate these changes, and the exhaust pipes sticking out right behind the door will be gone, and that's just for starters. Not sure how sold they are on a gas filler flap right by the passenger's face, but for the passenger's sake I hope it gets moved, or every trip to the fuel station will be unpleasant if you stay in the car.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Somehow I doubt the buyers will be very torn up about that.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

I'm with Kyoon on this one :( It's a more bloated "fast-back" sedan/crossover/confused XJ

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

More usable for what? Taking off from a standing stop maybe. I see little evidence that the WRX is any faster than the MS3 around a track. Here's an example:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_lightning_lap_2009-feature/ll1_3a_2009_subaru_impreza_wrx_3e_3_3a16.6_page_4

AWD is just a gimmick so Audi and Subaru can differentiate their higher end offerings while still making cheap FWD mass market cars off the same floor plan.
You're right, they probably both park with exactly the same performance.

Short of deciding to hash up an "argument" that has been around for years, with no real point to it, is there a reason you've decided to soap-box on this now?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Saga posted:

Wow, the Mini has gone beyond ridiculous and is now coming out of its own rear end in a top hat. It's like the M C Escher car.

The Mini clubman already has a greater track width and height than my E30 touring. The E30 only has a couple of inches on it in wheelbase (100 to 102 or something). Now there will be a "mini" coupe with similar dimensions. The stupidity factor involved is just colossal.
To be fair, the E30 is a quarter-century old car, so the comparison's kind of moot.

That said, the fact they decided to go to the Mini and expand it into a bigger new model was pretty eye-rolling.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Is that the rear end off the new Camaro?

(first thing I thought of)

Or maybe a Mazda RX8

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

eames posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

CornHolio posted:

See, I have a problem with expensive pick-ups. If I needed a truck, I would get some $20-year-old beater so I wouldn't be afraid to use it as a workhorse. Brand-new shiny expensive trucks seem more for the middle-aged guy that might need to pick up lumber once a year and that's it, otherwise it's just a luxury item. And being a luxury item I would have thought it would have been better appointed. Of course, I'm sure it's all in the packaging, but I'm still not impressed.
Contractors and upper middle-class with money to spend are the market for that truck. Not being cynical. Although I have to wonder why it's so lacking in features inside. Generally you're looking at power/heated seats, maybe a power outlet in the bed, and so on.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

It's a fastback 911, basically. That's pretty huge, and I kind of dig it.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm actually very impressed that the new Impreza weighs the same as the Focus but adds AWD and a few inches in length.

Focus SE Sedan 2907 lbs
2012 Impreza Sedan 2910 lbs
Chevy Cruze Sedan 3102 lbs
I feel old when I see 3,000 pound-ish cars and think they're about 500 pounds north of a normal car, speaking of early 80's

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

I absolutely recognize that modern cars are safer in every way, I just wish it didn't cost several hundred pounds.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Powershift posted:

Was just bored and reading up on some cars.

Despite weighing over 4000lbs and having more horsepower than any of the previous generation taurus SHOs, the 2013 2.0T taurus will be the most fuel efficient taurus they have ever built.

Technology!

Autoblog disagrees, it's the same engine as the previous gen.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Powershift posted:

The scary part is that the skyG engine runs 14:1 compression and requires premium gas. Eventually, somebody is going to put regular in, or just plain bad gas, and at 14:1 compression some bad things could happen.
Isn't that why knock sensors exist?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

So hybrids are unfairly underrated
99MPG is underrated?

edit: Holy CRAP, refresh before posting. Whoops.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Couldn't be _that_ bad. Otherwise the Fusion would have a beam suspension out back, too.

My guess is that it'd just be an organizational hassle to make some proportion (custom orders) of Mustangs IRS on the assembly line.
Sure it could be that bad. That's time your paid mechanics aren't working on building another car, and money that is being taken out of the production budget. To cover those costs, plus whatever other overhead I'm just not thinking of, means that any car's system is going to cost more than the sum of its parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

quote:

“Apart from a few nuts and bolts, every part on the WRX will be unique. Even the engine and body," an unnamed source reportedly told US magazine Motor Trend this week.
That sounds unnecessarily expensive, or wildly misinformed. "unnamed source reportedly told <magazine>" :wtc: That's journalism?