Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Throatwarbler posted:

Hummer probably dead.

50/50 chance of it being sold back to AM General for pennies on the dollar is my bet.

AM General will fulfill it's current HMMWV production contracts this year. After that, the hmmwv program will scale down to replacement vehicles and parts support, they'll have a lot of idle time at their plants, even with their new ADA-accessible Van/Taxi project.

Many firms lost interest in the Hummer sale since it basically "only" included the Brand and the H3/HX. The HMMWV/Military side and H1 tech was not included, AM General and it's plants weren't included and the H2 was a dead duck, so I'm surprised that the Chinese truck firm even seriously looked at it.

One story I heard today was that AM General lept at the chance to sell Hummer to GM because AMG figured there was no way Hummer would work beyond being a low production run, specialty, niche product. Many of the old school dealers from the 90's piped in [including a ex Suzuki-Hummer dealership from washington state] that they figured the H2 would sell well for 2-3 years and once everyone who wanted one had one, sales would die off quickly. It wasn't worth the investment that GM was requesting to become a part of GM-Hummer [which required everyone to build expensive new dealerships/test tracks and make large commitments to buy lots of vehicles].

AM General still lives on, the true heart of hummer, and they've been awesome supporting the H1 even though it was discontinued in 06.

Thanks GM! For turning Hummer into the Dick Cheney of the automotive world. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Kill-9 posted:

If you notice, almost every press photo of the thing(I refuse to call it a Rover) is taken from a very low angle. It is small, very small. Here's a pic with a couple of guys standing next to it.

High belt line low roof. Visibility? Where we're going we don't need to see the other cars around us. I'd imagine it's like driving a tank looking out through those slits.

Tut tut, now you are starting to sound like an old school Hummer owner :)

That being said, a few pickup/diesel forums are lighting up with details that GM is dusting off the canceled 4.5L "baby" Duramax and may bring it back into production after all.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/06/gm-ponders-reviving-45liter-duramax-v8-diesel.html

A smaller engine with the same power as the earlier 6.6L Duramax from 01/02 with better fuel economy? Yes please!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is 800 ft lb the most torque offered in a stock consumer pickup truck to date?

I can't wait to see Chevy's response - we've already got morons driving their poorly maintaned modified Duramaxes into the Christmas tree at the local dragstrip, why not throw some more power on that IFS and hand it out to everyone?

Stock probably, I know a bunch of guys that got Duramaxes and even Cummings BT6's up to 1000+ ft lbs.

I know on the Duramax, it's a warranty voiding situation if you try to run an aftermarket ECU on the engine, or try to push it past stock settings.

I've seen situations where a blown engine comes into a shop, they pull and check the block out to see if there's a crosshatch pattern that's scored or burnt, if it is, the dealer will void the warranty on the spot. Something like that.

I'm sure they'll adjust the tune a bit, and just start a numbers pissing game, there is only so far they can go before they have to start eating into warranty payouts or bumping into emissions issues.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Hummer is back.. sorta..

The last few months I was getting pictures of this and went to a focus group meeting put on by AM General to H1 owners who asked for our input.

So here it is.. in all of its soft door glory:

http://www.genuinehumveekit.com/index.html
http://www.genuinehumveekit.com/media.html

For historical perspective there was 2 companies involved with hummer in recent history, AM General Corporation, the defense division of American Motors and GM. AM General produced the HMMWV, and the civilian H1, and in the late 90's early 00's signed a deal to lease the IP of Hummer to GM.

AM General went on to produce the H1 and H2 in South Bend Indiana and GM largely produced the H3.

Of course when GM shut down Hummer and tried to sell it, they didn't find many buyers... not because of lack of interest, but simply because many buyers initially thought that they got AM General and the HMMWV/H1 with the deal.

Instead, they found that GM had a lease until 2014/2015, after which all IP rights would revert back to AM General. Kind of a bum deal.

Today, AM General is sitting with an idle HMMWV Plant, waiting to see if their next generation truck will win the JLTV contract [ http://amgeneralbrv-o.com/ ].

GM is sitting back licensing out the Hummer brand for $$$ including an electric mini-H4XT thing for the UK and a clothing store chain in South America :cripes:. I guess GM's plan is to sit back and collect licensing income on toys and poo poo until their deal expires.

So with that situation, AM General figured out a way to bring out a "HUMVEE" that is in no way shape or form a "HUMMER H1" in the minimum legal sense. GM isn't happy about the situation, but apparently there is a few restrictions.

The rumor was, it wasn't a Hummer by legal definition if the chassis shipped with CARC military paint, didn't have a stereo installed and if it didn't have the Hummer[tm] doors installed on it. That's the unofficial story...

So what do you get?

AM General is testing things out by offering a roller Humvee C-series [commercial] truck.

Basically for $59,000, you get the latest generation of HMMWV Hardware, a 12,800 GVW chassis, with the uparmored 3 piece sectional box frame, the upgraded crossmembers, the wilwood upgraded brake kit. The torsen bias differentials, the aluminum soft top body, with civilian style roll bar assembly and insulated top. 2 inch body lift built in as a standard option [to allow fitment of the Duramax/alison 1000 drivetrain option] .

The chassis ships as a roller with the body installed but with the a-pillar windshield removed. The interior is in one crate, doors and roll bars in another, and another crate containing the seats on a pallet.

The interior is the 04/06 H1 interior with a digicamo texture, so all you Forza playing xbox guys will be familiar with the interior from that video game.

The electrical harnesses are prewired and installed including the body, chassis, and hood harness, with jumper connections to the drivetrain. The HVAC and gauges are isolated on their own harness system for maximum compatibility.

No engine/transmission is included, you are left to your own devices for that or by going through "official channels". This is part to maintain the system as a "kit" and dodge certification costs. That being said we were told that all components in the kit meet or exceed FMVSS specifications.

Reading between the lines, I suspect there will be 3-4 official "Humvee kit assembly" shops out of the old big hummer dealers, where they will build out the kits as a finished turn key vehicle.

Otherwise, you need a big shop, and about 100 hours worth of labor to complete the truck by their tests.

Options included under carriage production grid, rocker panel protection, eaton-elocker option, heated windshields, 2 piece alloy bead locked wheels, and a few other do-dads.

Adjusting for inflation from the H1's launch in 1992, it's not a bad price, but I'd figure they'd included all that stuff provided they aren't shipping it with a drive drain, but they're the ones doing the bean counting, not me.

As it stands, it's 59,000 for the kit, but a completed truck will run upwards of 100,000 once done. Unless you want to throw used parts at it and can do a lot of the work yourself.

Personally, I'm out for the kit, the general response I've gotten from a few friends who were ready to buy this was they will wait until they offer a model with hard doors and steel roof assembly. Besides I already got a tan and black soft top :v: and it ran me half of the kit cost.

Why would any non-hummer person care about this? If this thing takes off we'll see the GEP/Steyr 3200 3.2L Optimizer turbo diesel motor hit the public US market [small monoblock inline 6, 550 lbs, 300 hp, 550ft/torque]..

I asked AM general if they would sell me that motor for my existing truck, and all I got from the rep was "I'm not authorized to talk about that"..

:(

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 30, 2012

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

What kind of engines will fit in it?

Officially the Duramax 6.6L, the 6.5 diesel family, cummins diesel, vortec 6 and 8 liter gas engines and "a few others". The only thing they specifically said would not fit was the newer Ford powerstrokes.

The limitation being the A-pillar clearance and the side kick panels from the cab and the airlift hooks and cooling stack on the front.

I know of one guy is going to put an Isuzu 3.0L diesel engine in it with an Alison 1000, but hes a guy who runs a small trucking company and I think hes got a crashed donor box truck ready to go.

The ideal engine would be the 3.2L Small block diesel they have on tap if they offer it for non military use...

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder if it's something that will get snapshotted during a crash into the car's blackbox down the road.

Or do the Canadian route and mandate daylight running lights into all vehicles. Coming from Canada, I always run my us vehicles with headlights on all the time even in broadday light in the middle of the desert. :tinfoil:

I think commercial drivers are supposed to run headlights on during daylight.

But yeah fat chance having evidence, I guess its high time I put a witness cam on my vehicles.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

Am I going crazy or is this an incredibly lovely article with wackadoo reasons on why bronco bad

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-bronco-could-have-a-hard-time-gunning-for-1844440566

Like why not complain about IFS instead of...no hybrid engine?

Someone revealed that in the sync settings of the bronco there are provisions for charge indicators hinting at a future hybrid model down the road.

https://www.inputmag.com/design/the-2021-ford-bronco-sci-fi-ui-confirms-a-hybrid-model-is-coming

It seems strange otherwise. IFS isn't that big of a deal IMO.

The only legit beef I've seen from people that I know who is buying or putting money down on Broncos, is that you can't get the sasquatch package if you select a manual transmission. No Factory locker option. At least not yet. That tells me that they didn't design their elocker system to interface with whatever traction control system that is used on their manual transmission option.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Badlands comes with the lockers and all the other off-road goodies aside from the 35" tires and has the 2.3L and manual standard, along with standard 33" tires.

Black Diamond and Badlands are the 'good' trims

That doesn't make much sense not to offer the sasquatch package with a manual for other trims. Something is wack there. Unless its an artificial barrier to force people to get a more expensive trim level instead of buying the base + manual + sasquatch and save the rest of the money for the aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Driving off-road with a manual loving sucks anyway and the take rate will reflect that.

100% agreed on that, once I've gone automatic for offroading I never looked back. 9/10 incidents/rollovers/crashes I've seen off road were related to driver error/stalling/bad shifting and rolling away or losing control, always a manual. Anecdotal observation on my part.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 23, 2020