Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Naky posted:

It's hard being a hatch lover in North America, I need to move to Europe. :(

This is one of the reasons I'm "restoring" an old 323, I can't find any other decent hatchbacks I can afford :(

If I lived in Europe I'd have a plethora to chose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pricing for the Chevy Volt has been released, for the sum of $41,000 you can own GM's first electric car with all the teething issues to go with it!

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/2011-chevrolet-volt-priced-at-41000-orders-start-now.html

quote:

GM on Tuesday said the 2011 Chevrolet Volt will be priced at $41,000, including a $720 destination charge, when it arrives in select launch markets later this year. That is $8,220 more than the 2011 Nissan Leaf electric car — even though GM insists that the Volt is "in a class by itself."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

edit: NEVERMIND, it comes with an engine thank loving god.

An engine that needs premium fuel :ssh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Living in Florida requires a car because the public transportation sucks and everything is so sprawled out. Not to mention in the summer time you'd die of heat exhaustion riding a bike anywhere, so owning a car with working A/C is paramount. I still try not to spend too much money on cars though, I get cheap dependable cars that require little if any maintenance and have the bare minimum insurance. Cars can be surprisingly cheap to own if you know what to look for.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Incredible. This could be my new favorite Ferrari.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

I live in Pennsylvania, so.....

I'm not even going to get into the rest of all of the justifications I'm hearing for driving a minivan. If you've (the collective you to include everyone else ranting about this) resigned yourself to wanting that, that's obviously what you're going to get or continue to own one. It makes it no difference to me. But you can't possibly say that you care that much about driving experience, as there are very clearly alternatives that can both perform the same functions and not suck.

Because those of you railing against this need to believe you made the right choice, you don't want to hear it. I get that. No one wants to hear they made a multiple-thousand dollar mistake or that they aren't as much of a driving enthusiast as they think the are while posting on a forum full of enthusiasts.

Haha, jesus dude. Just because most of us are enthusiasts doesn't mean we don't get the point of a minivan. There are plenty of people on this forum that drive mundane vehicles (myself included) and have (or have had) other cars to satisfy the enthusiast in us. You can care about "the driving experience" and own a minivan at the same time. Seriously, it can be done bro.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Limastock posted:

No, you really cant. Anyone who truly cares about a driving experience would explore the better options out there before settling on the minivan.

Yes, because we can only own one car at a time :rolleyes:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Guys I have a confession to make. I haven't driven a car regularly since high school, didn't have one in college, haven't had one in med school, and probably won't have one in residency. I'll probably buy my first car when I'm 30, 31. Am I still allowed to hang out here? :ohdear:

It doesn't sound to me like you care at all about the driving experience so you should probably get out, this is a forum of enthusiasts :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

The Escape/Tribute seems to sell pretty well, so its not really a bad bet to make a softer, more economical, easier to drive SUV.

Agreed, I'd rather have Ford offer a more economical Explorer for soccer moms than just continue churning out the same old thing. I'm assuming they will also offer one with a bigger motor and heavy duty suspension for towing small boats and whatnot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Nope, the V6 version can still only tow 5,000lbs. Ford and GM have both given up that market. The new Dodge Durango can still tow, being RWD with a V8 and all, for the same price as the Explorer.

Um, more like YEP? 5k is significantly more than what the four banger can tow so I don't see how I was wrong. 5k is pretty drat good for FWD, obviously if you need more than that you would look elsewhere, but for towing a small boat, trailer or camper it would be just fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I was excited about the toyota subie powered sports car but for 25k you only get 200 hp. Meh, I will buy a 500hp mustang and supercharge it. Oxcart owns.

Isn't it supposed to be really light though? But yeah I see your point, hell a base Mustang or Camaro has 300hp.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Read the rules and you shall receive the answer to your AI posting questions.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That would be awesome if the engine sounds didn't sound computerized/electronic.

If they made one that sounded like a real 5.0 Mustang with Flowmasters I'd be all over it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

D C posted:

Look at the yellow pole behind the car on the left. Its a really good photoshop until you see where they chopped the picture to lower it.

Heh, didn't catch that. You'd think they would use a better picture instead of one with a huge glare on the front of it. Looks cool though, the super Juke or whatever should end up on Top Gear if it actually gets produced, looking forward to seeing that episode.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Or Watkins Glen where there is actually some surprisingly good racing with the Cars of Tomorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUltYOtNqmI

This also came from that race and is pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsSjRhQIu8U

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The coming of the FT makes me wonder if Toyota will be using it as their new NASCAR model. Chevy, Ford and Dodge will be going to their RWD "Pony" models eventually so I guess it makes sense for Toyota to do the same, but the car does seem very small and may look odd as a Cup car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

What, really?!? Does this mean there will be no more commercials with a Camry doing a mad-tyte burnout?

Yeah, Ford and Dodge already have the Mustang and Challenger in the Nationwide series, Chevy is expected to use the Camaro then it will progress into the Cup series. The plan is to get back to the old days when you could tell the cars apart, it's not perfected yet but it's a step in the right direction for NASCAR.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But is there room for an LSx that's the question :v:

I wonder how long it will take once they're on the market.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe they'd make a "sleeper" version with a huge blower sticking out of the hood and a giant vinyl sticker down the side that says SLEEPER

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The wing looks good to me, one of the only acceptable wings I've seen in a long time, and is probably actually functional on top of that. But what's with the tiny mirrors? You can barely see them and it just looks kinda odd. Normal sized, body colored mirrors would look much better.

The Subie looks the best so far, love the Subie blue.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

I WANT THIS CAR because I love throwing small light cars into corners at ridiculous speeds!

If it doesnt handle then it can go to hell.

CT with the thread title.

Automotive Insanity > FT-86/FR-S/BRZ If it Doesn't Handle it Can Go To Hell

Eh, somebody already made one :argh:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 2, 2011

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TLG James posted:

Anyone have a comparison between the mazda2 and the hyundai accent hatchback? I know they're both boring eco boxes, but I'm seriously wondering if the accent is hitting 40 mpg. The mazda2 is at 35mpg.

Wait for the Mazda2 to get the Skyactive motor then it should be rated at 40 or better. The Mazda3 isn't much more expensive and is already being offered with the Skyactive and is rated at 40mpg.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The video in that link looks like they're testing at the Top Gear track. I would asume then that the boys have had a go with it, hope we get a cool segment out of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TLG James posted:

Has this been announced somewhere or just speculation?

I read it somewhere, don't remember where. It would be a logical progression, the Mazda2 is their most economical car, you would think they'd want their most economical engine in it so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't happen.

Fake edit: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/10/facelifted-mazda2-with-skyactiv-1-3l-revealed-in-japan/

Looks very likely, 58 mpg is drat good if that's accurate

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 9, 2011

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not bad, depending on how good the coil overs actually are, but since they're bilstein it's probably worth it. That's what you're paying for basically, the rest of the stuff doesn't add up to much. The A/C delete is just a pulley and a belt.

God Dammit I want a Mazda2 twice as bad now :argh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Huh. You can really get it with a stick shift on all trim levels except LTZ. The 2.4l DI engine is pretty good, out powers and out torques the 2.5l in the Mazda5, gets about the same fuel economy and is cheaper too. For a 7 seater van this is surprisingly appealing.

With a manual hell yeah it is. Our HHR's Ecotec is a dog with the slushbox, but when I got to drive one with a manual I was surprised at how much more lively it felt. Excellent mpg too. Once the used HHR's start getting around 3k to 4k I might just nab one with a manual.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Peanut President posted:

If you're wanting to haul a bale of horses may I suggest a pick up truck?

Well most people buy hatchbacks for the utility, it's kinda pointless if the hatch is smaller than a trunk opening, which the C30 has. Might as well make the car a coupe then.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, basically looks like an updated Neon to me. Interior looks good though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Billy Zane posted:

Hey, nice 1-series coupe.

Exactly, that's why I like it :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

Wow it does directions in the HUD now? The ones Ive seen in the vettes didnt do that.
I love the HUD and seriously wish it was an option on all cars. Having it and then not having it on another car is depressing.

How about an aftermarket HUD? This one looks promising: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YPBGLY?tag=vglnk-c186-20

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

I love Torque, fantastic app. The OBD2 scanner with bluetooth is a bit expensive but overall I think it's been worth it.

I just wish the manufacturer specific proprietary codes were available.

I'm shocked that someone hasn't hacked the codes already. There's gotta be stuff out there for certain models, all it would take is a tech with a code reader to hack, right? I mean if people can hack i phones, someone should be able to figure it out and create an app for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't mean to imply that it was easy, however there is clearly a market for it and I'm surprised someone hasn't taken advantage yet. Time will tell, hopefully in the future proprietary code readers/apps will be available ........Either legally or illegally :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Honda put out this ad which pays homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off by giving Matthew Broderick a CR-V.

There's probably a metaphor for Honda's own middle age in here, in that they mostly just say "remember the 80s?" now while wistfully looking off into the distance and burping out inoffensive soft-edged garbage like this.

I have to give kudos to them allowing the car to bottom out and spark on the road, though.

More like "remember the 90's?" in terms of Honda's heyday.

The commercial was a great idea, however the idea of him replacing a Ferrari with a CRV is just plain stupid. CRV's are an appliance and are in no way shape or form a fun vehicle to drive. A Civic Si would have worked better, though marginally.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh Jesus, please tell me the new Viper doesn't have those gay LED eyebrows or whatever they call them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But now they're re designing the new Civic because of all the bad press, so I guess that plan didn't work out for them. I'm kinda surprised that Toyota is pulling ahead of Honda in terms of giving a poo poo about enthusiasts. Never saw that coming.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sliderule posted:

The plan worked out fine for them.

If it worked out so well why are they going back to the drawing board?

Apparently Canada's blind loyalty isn't enough.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's gorgeous, wouldn't change a thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It would actually look pretty good without that huge gently caress off wing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Nails concept is awesome and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

quote:

Nissan Nails Concept: Now THIS is a cool concept. So many of us have been jonesing for the tiny pickup trucks of yore. This could be a full-on winner. Built a few years back purely as a concept, the Nissan Nails Concept truck has a removable rear section that was held in place with buttons and hooks – like a nylon tent. The cargo bed is bed big enough for a pair of mountain bikes or a large drum kit. The floor is flat and low throughout the whole truck. Easily damaged sections of the Nails Concept are covered in a bed-liner-like material to remain unscathed and durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So it seems GM has recently renewed the ElCamino and Nomad trademarks, right on the heels of a peek at the new ss....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1080920_gm-renews-el-camino-and-nomad-trademarks-hints-at-more-holdens

quote:

Now, the guys over at GM Authority have discovered via a trademark filing with the U.S. Patents and Trademarks Office that GM renewed its “El Camino” moniker on August 9 of this year. On top of this, GM also filed for the “Nomad” trademark in May, which many readers will recall was the name of a rear-wheel-drive Chevrolet station wagon.

This has led to speculation that GM plans to import not only the Holden Commodore sedan as its new Chevrolet SS, but also the Commodore Ute and Commodore Sportwagon as its modern versions of the respective Chevy El Camino and Nomad.

Of course, it’s not uncommon for automakers to file various trademarks simply to protect them from being used by rivals. However, the timing of GM’s latest moves can’t be ignored.

NASCAR recently unveiled the new Chevy SS Cup car with a a few tease pics of the production SS. And by tease I mean an image of a headlight, yippee!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1080932_2014-chevrolet-ss-teased-in-new-images