Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well I won't disagree with that. And I am kind of sad there isn't anything like Blue Flame from 1e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ryuujin posted:

Well I won't disagree with that. And I am kind of sad there isn't anything like Blue Flame from 1e.

For what it’s worth, the playtest does explicitly say that the final class will have additional “hybrid” elements, which I assume, gives you your magma blasts and your steam blasts and your mud blasts, and maybe even blue flame.

So, maybe those get the tools that solve this issue.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Still seems weird that Fire seems like the least damaging of the elements.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ryuujin posted:

Still seems weird that Fire seems like the least damaging of the elements.

I don’t think it is? Persistent fire damage + Agile trait is going to do a ton for a straight up blaster, given the lack of other options to make basic blasting better.

(The optimal combo is actually probably fire + earth with the feat that encourages cycling, before eventually getting power blast)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The reason I generally feel Fire is the weakest damage falls under a few things. 1d6 blast damage is middling, better than air, but worse than water or earth.

Most of the elements get a 9 or 10 d10 power, fire caps at 8d10. Earth's even has a bunch of ongoing damage in the area, much better than persistent damage so long as the target remains in the area. Even air can get up to 9d10.

Of the three elements that can get a damaging aura. And of the four auras that deal damage. Fire's is the weakest. It does provide concealment but does from 1 to 7 damage at max. Water can get a more damaging aura at 1st level, dealing level in cold damage. Water can also get an aura a little later than the fire one that does 8 damage, and eventually maxes at 16 damage, to an enemy in or adjacent to the aura that deals damage to the kineticist or an ally in their aura. Not as much damage as the other water aura per instance of damage, but can trigger multiple times a turn. Its minimum damage is already higher than the max damage the fire aura will ever get. Even Air gets a more damaging aura, admittedly at 18th level, for 2d12 electricity damage a turn but also does a bunch more stuff.

A few elements can get something to increase the damage of their Elemental Blast. Fire gets a basically 2 action one round fiery body, or 1 minute duration at 16th level. The bonus damage to Elemental Blast is one die instead of a +1d4, so +1d6. Nothing in it indicates that it scales as the spell would with higher slots, so no reason to believe that it would add +2d6 at 17th level or something. Now admittedly this would let one spam Produce Flame once they are 16th level, but that would be using Cha which might not be very high on a Kineticist, and never gets above Trained proficiency unless you get a Spellcasting DC somewhere else. Air can make use of that level 18 Aura since in addition to dealing damage every turn in an aura it also adds +1d12 electricity damage to their Elemental Air Blasts. Earth can get an ability that gives them armor, increases their size and increases their strength by +2 which provides a small damage/accuracy boost but more importantly at 18th level has an ability that ups their Elemental Blast damage from d8s to d10s, and again at 20th to d12s.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I find it a bit funny that everything the Kineticist does provokes an AOO, including their raise a shield variant from Earth

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Andrast posted:

I find it a bit funny that everything the Kineticist does provokes an AOO, including their raise a shield variant from Earth

It doesn't seem like anything is balanced around whether it provokes, which I'm not sure I like.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

KPC_Mammon posted:

It doesn't seem like anything is balanced around whether it provokes, which I'm not sure I like.

A large number of things that you have to do in melee trigger AoO in a way that is frankly irritating.

Spellstrike, Quick Draw, Parry, huge chunk of the Kineticist stuff.

It's often handwaved with "Sure these melee options get your rear end kicked to a shocking extent, increasing in incidence as you level, but you can tactics around them". But this is baseline stuff, its not like spellstrike is overpowered and you need the threat of AoOs to keep the magus honest.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Im planning on running Play by Post here since someone wanted to ask. Does anyone have any preferences? I think I might want to run the Dark Archives adventures. They are fun and entertaining.

It’s been a lonngggg time since I played by post but it could probably be fun, I am down if there is still space.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

HidaO-Win posted:

A large number of things that you have to do in melee trigger AoO in a way that is frankly irritating.

Spellstrike, Quick Draw, Parry, huge chunk of the Kineticist stuff.

It's often handwaved with "Sure these melee options get your rear end kicked to a shocking extent, increasing in incidence as you level, but you can tactics around them". But this is baseline stuff, its not like spellstrike is overpowered and you need the threat of AoOs to keep the magus honest.

The last conversation about this really made me think about what the problem really is here, and it really depends on how often AoOs come up in any given campaign. It's like having flying enemies stay out of melee range in a party with a melee fighter. You do it once or twice, and it's interesting variety. You do it for every boss fight, and it just becomes monotonous. If every climactic fight becomes "time to cast Enlarge Person and carefully space myself" without something that adds more interesting choices, it's just limiting what you're doing without adding much. And unlike the annoying flying enemies, you can make all your climactic fights AoE-heavy by accident.

(Of course, this only matters if you're in a long enough game to have multiple climactic end-of-adventure fights, but D&D-derived game discussion always have a problem with assuming giant year-long campaigns.)

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The last conversation about this really made me think about what the problem really is here, and it really depends on how often AoOs come up in any given campaign. It's like having flying enemies stay out of melee range in a party with a melee fighter. You do it once or twice, and it's interesting variety. You do it for every boss fight, and it just becomes monotonous. If every climactic fight becomes "time to cast Enlarge Person and carefully space myself" without something that adds more interesting choices, it's just limiting what you're doing without adding much. And unlike the annoying flying enemies, you can make all your climactic fights AoE-heavy by accident.

(Of course, this only matters if you're in a long enough game to have multiple climactic end-of-adventure fights, but D&D-derived game discussion always have a problem with assuming giant year-long campaigns.)

I've played or run 8 Paizo Adventure Paths in a row to completion over the years, 3 3.5, 3 PF1, 2 PF2, 2 more in progress atm. I've done an acceptable amount of High End Content, probably tending towards the high end.

The odd disruptional battle is fine, too much is a pain. There was actually a fair amount of AoOs in late game Extinction Curse, including a bunch with disrupt on hit. Strength of Thousands is more forgiving in that way, probably because its the all caster one.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

HidaO-Win posted:

I've played or run 8 Paizo Adventure Paths in a row to completion over the years, 3 3.5, 3 PF1, 2 PF2, 2 more in progress atm. I've done an acceptable amount of High End Content, probably tending towards the high end.

The odd disruptional battle is fine, too much is a pain. There was actually a fair amount of AoOs in late game Extinction Curse, including a bunch with disrupt on hit. Strength of Thousands is more forgiving in that way, probably because its the all caster one.

I don't know how you do it, I think I've been playing in an Abomination Vaults campaign for a little more than a year now and we're just finishing book 1. I think.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Arivia posted:

What does an inquisitor do for you that a paladin or martial-oriented cleric doesn't do? Honest question, it's a class that I've never found really has a unique spot.

They're selfish bard-ranger-rogues. They don't compete with paladins or clerics really at all. Honestly, Inquisitor is my favorite Paizo PF1 class. They have a super fun spell list, they can do good damage with Bane and their judgments, they get plenty of skills to play around with, they get to actually use teamwork feats, etc etc. But they're not really overpowered, either. Their spell list doesn't have the super powerful wizard/cleric spells, they're medium BAB so the bonuses from judgments mostly just catch them up to ranger-level, they're not especially tough, etc. Overall just a really well-balanced and fun-to-play class.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Looking for one more person to play a Outlaws of Alkenstar on Foundry. Wednesday, 7-9p EST. Could potentially start next Wednesday.

e: looks like we found a fourth.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 10, 2022

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
While that does sound interesting, and one could totally take a Kineticist and a first level feat to create an elemental 1-handed gun to fit the theme, I probably wouldn't be able to make that time. I do work retail which hinders my ability to play on specific days/times. And while I have tended to usually, but not always, have Wednesday nights off my next two Wednesdays have me working until 4:30 or 5:30 PM Pacific time. Which means I would probably miss an hour or two each day if I tried to join.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Andrast posted:

It feels a bit weird to have CON as the key stat of the class when it doesn't do anything except usual CON things and class DC. Leaves you in the same place as the Alchemist where you have an effective -1 to your attack rolls for half the game compared to other martials too (and -3 compared to fighter). Give them a CON-based class feature or something.

Yeah, keeping Con as the primary stat boost when it has nothing to do with class attacks or other actions is downright ludicrous. If their main baseline is "hit somebody with fire/rocks/etc.", they shouldn't be worse at it than the rogue shooting a bow. I don't see the elemental attacks giving that much value that the lower accuracy is justified. Also Flexible Blasts seems too drat much of a no-brainer feat compared to the other ones since it reduces the need for pumping both Strength and Dex.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, keeping Con as the primary stat boost when it has nothing to do with class attacks or other actions is downright ludicrous. If their main baseline is "hit somebody with fire/rocks/etc.", they shouldn't be worse at it than the rogue shooting a bow. I don't see the elemental attacks giving that much value that the lower accuracy is justified. Also Flexible Blasts seems too drat much of a no-brainer feat compared to the other ones since it reduces the need for pumping both Strength and Dex.

They aren't worse at it than a rogue shooting a bow if the rogue isn't a thief.

This is a problem I have with rogue design as well.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
If you want to go for a Str build you will need to pump both Str and Dex anyways, unless you are a human with a general feat at 1st level or go for free archetype into Sentinel or something for better armor, and even then you probably will need Dex unless you have Earth and eventually get Assume Earth's Mantel at 14th.

The class really should get Medium proficiency at 1st.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Working on a new OP since the current one is mainly pf1 focused. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to hear them!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Hey goons, I'm getting into my first PF2E game next week, a Blood Lords campaign in which I'm playing a skeleton sorcerer (undead bloodline, of course). Any advice for a new player to the system, whether for that build or just un general? I'm not too concerned with charop, but I also (obviously) want to have a good time.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Hey goons, I'm getting into my first PF2E game next week, a Blood Lords campaign in which I'm playing a skeleton sorcerer (undead bloodline, of course). Any advice for a new player to the system, whether for that build or just un general? I'm not too concerned with charop, but I also (obviously) want to have a good time.

The best suggestion I can make for a sorcerer specifically, is to pick one of Diplomacy or Intimidation, and invest heavily in it and related skill feats; Bon Mot or Demoralize are extremely good uses of your third action when you will otherwise be safely positioned and casting, and casters in general have a bit of a “what to do with my third action?” problem for players new to the system.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Max out your Charisma at character creation (18)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Andrast posted:

This is pretty much true for everyone's primary stat, isn't it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

This is pretty much true for everyone's primary stat, isn't it?

There's a few edge casey exceptions where your attack stat isn't your classes primary stat, and you don't actually do much w/ the primary stat. Some good examples would be some flavors of Alchemist, maybe some Inventors. Even for those though, you probably want it at at least 16.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

There are build guides for every class. Here is a list of some of them:

http://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2019/09/pathfinder-2nd-edition-guide-to-guides.html

You don't necessarily need to only pick the Best Color options when making your PC, but at the very least the guides will help you avoid any traps that you need system experience to spot.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Chevy Slyme posted:

The best suggestion I can make for a sorcerer specifically, is to pick one of Diplomacy or Intimidation, and invest heavily in it and related skill feats; Bon Mot or Demoralize are extremely good uses of your third action when you will otherwise be safely positioned and casting, and casters in general have a bit of a “what to do with my third action?” problem for players new to the system.

I had already planned on this since my bloodline gives me Intimidation for free, but good to know!

Andrast posted:

My character is already built and I did do this. Good to know it was the right move.

Megazver posted:

There are build guides for every class. Here is a list of some of them:

http://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2019/09/pathfinder-2nd-edition-guide-to-guides.html

You don't necessarily need to only pick the Best Color options when making your PC, but at the very least the guides will help you avoid any traps that you need system experience to spot.

Ooh, this is super useful, thanks.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Working on a new OP since the current one is mainly pf1 focused. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to hear them!

Awesome! IMO make sure to mention:

• Archives of Nethys
  • Options for playing online (especially Foundry)
  • The Guide to Guides posted above

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

One thing that might be handy (unless it'll get too unwieldy) is a list of what books for 2e have 1e classes in them if they aren't in the core, like how Oracle is in the Advanced Player's Guide, Magus and Summoner are in Secrets of Magic, etc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ooh, this is super useful, thanks.

Also, yeah, plan your character out in Pathbuilder:

https://pathbuilder2e.com/

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Megazver posted:

http://wanderersguide.app Is an alternative to Pathbuilder. Both are fairly feature complete; worth trying out both to see which one you like more. I think Wanderer’s Guide is a little easier to throw in homebrew stuff, or alter things to work with a houserule of some sort personally, but it is also a little bit buggier (though nothing i’ve encountered wasn’t fixed with a simple F5)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

Pathbuilder should also definitely be in the new OP.

Also, there should probably be a blurb explaining the structure of adventure paths, since my understanding is that it's a little different from 5e.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Say something about charop having real diminishing returns and being totally unnecessary

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

Say something about charop having real diminishing returns and being totally unnecessary

This is not going to stop me from spending days agonizing over my level 1 investigator.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Another guide to potentially include:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/raouq8/tarondors_guide_to_pathfinder_adventure_paths/

Hopefully it'll be updated with the newer Paths sometime..

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Heal spells (Or likely in your case Harm spells) are actually incredible in PF2, they aren’t for using between fights, but instead bringing a injured or dying ally roaring back into the fight. They are the simplest way to be an effective caster, spam cantrips and lower level spells, then pop a big heal when a fight is looking dicey.

As an undead bloodline sorcerer you should have Harm as a signature spell and a lot of your party should have negative healing or a similar trait.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Toshimo posted:

They aren't worse at it than a rogue shooting a bow if the rogue isn't a thief.

Notably, rogue rackets don't force you to have a different key ability, they simply allow you to choose a different ability than Dex as your key ability. That's just usually a terrible idea outside of a Ruffian going for Str.

As a result, a Mastermind rogue with like two feats in the investigator archetype is pretty much better in every way by virtue of not having to be key Int.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KPC_Mammon posted:

This is not going to stop me from spending days agonizing over my level 1 investigator.

I noticed.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010191
Posted a new thread for all the PF2 fans here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I was looking to check out Pathfinder 2e because I saw this tiny-edition version for sale on Amazon. When it arrived I realized I made a mistake and it's actually original Pathfinder. I was reading it and thought to myself "you know this feels like it's very familiar" :v: Years ago I sold all of my 3.5 edition books because no one was playing any more. So I looked on Amazon again and what do you know pretty much every pathfinder 1e book exists in these tiny cheap forms...... So now I've replaced my old 3.5 collection with these tiny books :haw:

I really do miss all of the class mixing and prestige classes and feats. This system has so many more options than 5e D&D. It does get a bit nutty at higher levels, but I think I could manage that better now with more experiance. Now, how to trick my 5e players into playing this hmmmm....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rutibex posted:

So I was looking to check out Pathfinder 2e because I saw this tiny-edition version for sale on Amazon. When it arrived I realized I made a mistake and it's actually original Pathfinder. I was reading it and thought to myself "you know this feels like it's very familiar" :v: Years ago I sold all of my 3.5 edition books because no one was playing any more. So I looked on Amazon again and what do you know pretty much every pathfinder 1e book exists in these tiny cheap forms...... So now I've replaced my old 3.5 collection with these tiny books :haw:

I really do miss all of the class mixing and prestige classes and feats. This system has so many more options than 5e D&D. It does get a bit nutty at higher levels, but I think I could manage that better now with more experiance. Now, how to trick my 5e players into playing this hmmmm....

just tell them it's the d&d one playtest