Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

just tell them it's the d&d one playtest

:hmmyes:
Hey guys check out this new play test material, they really leaned into more character options. Now they have this new system where anyone can take any subclass! It's crazy they call them prestige classes. And you like feats? Well I got some good news for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
My friends have been asking me to DM. I've never DMed before and was thinking of running a module as my first foray into it. What would you guys recommend to be the best/most noob-friendly module in PF1E for a first time DM?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

trapstar posted:

My friends have been asking me to DM. I've never DMed before and was thinking of running a module as my first foray into it. What would you guys recommend to be the best/most noob-friendly module in PF1E for a first time DM?

Why first edition Pathfinder in particular? How familiar are you with the system? How familiar is your group with the system?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

trapstar posted:

Doesn't 1e have something like 2e's beginner box?

2e is more dm friendly, I'd run it's beginner box unless your heart is really set on 1e.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 22, 2022

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Arivia posted:

Why first edition Pathfinder in particular? How familiar are you with the system? How familiar is your group with the system?

Me and my group are all extremely familiar with PF1E. It's the only system some of them have ever played on.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

trapstar posted:

Me and my group are all extremely familiar with PF1E. It's the only system some of them have ever played on.

If you know 1e just pick a 1e adventure path that sounds fun and have a great time. Piazo adventures are really well organized and easy to run.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

trapstar posted:

The Dragon's Demand, Gallows of Madness, and the Godsmouth Heresy are the 1st level adventures Paizo's released for PF1e that aren't adventure paths since 2010, then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wait I thought this was the Pathfinder 1e thread

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It is (effectively), but the 2e thread is less than a week old so there's been a lot of 2e discussion here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
3.5 edition/Pathfinder 1e seems to be the least appreciated version of D&D right now. Trying to find a YouTube video about 3.5 edition is like finding a needle in a haystack. The heyday of the edition existed before internet videos were big. There are huge channels about OSR 1st edition or basic D&D, 4th edition, and especially 5th edition. But for 3.5 the best I found was poor Mitch Burns and his 800+ subscribers. He is trying really hard too, so many videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Y5UimGMlo

I think P1/3.5 edition is going to have its own OSR renaissance eventually, but maybe not for 5 years :shrug:

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Arivia posted:

The Dragon's Demand, Gallows of Madness, and the Godsmouth Heresy are the 1st level adventures Paizo's released for PF1e that aren't adventure paths since 2010, then.

Thank you. I'll have to try some of those out.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Rutibex posted:

3.5 edition/Pathfinder 1e seems to be the least appreciated version of D&D right now. Trying to find a YouTube video about 3.5 edition is like finding a needle in a haystack. The heyday of the edition existed before internet videos were big. There are huge channels about OSR 1st edition or basic D&D, 4th edition, and especially 5th edition. But for 3.5 the best I found was poor Mitch Burns and his 800+ subscribers. He is trying really hard too, so many videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Y5UimGMlo

I think P1/3.5 edition is going to have its own OSR renaissance eventually, but maybe not for 5 years :shrug:

Yeah. A lot of 3.5 discussion was kept entirely to places like the Gleemax forums, and WotC nuking those plus the assassination of forums by the coward social media means that most discussion of that edition is just lost entirely.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I made a big table for randomly rolling any prestege class in D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder 1e. I'm gonna be using it like a loot table in my next campaign but I figured it could be useful to other people here!

https://pastebin.com/3UQLkAFk

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 27, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Holy moly, Rutibex. Use Pastebin or something, you don't need to post 1205 lines of text in a code block inline in a forum thread.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Holy moly, Rutibex. Use Pastebin or something, you don't need to post 1205 lines of text in a code block inline in a forum thread.

Obviously you've never experianced the waffle images apocalypse. Our SA content needs to be preserved for future generations. External links will break when someone is reading this database in 3,000 years

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rutibex posted:

Obviously you've never experianced the waffle images apocalypse. Our SA content needs to be preserved for future generations. External links will break when someone is reading this database in 3,000 years

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Apparently Grigori Rasputin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16y1AkoZkmQ) has an official stat block in Pathfinder. Unsurprising his highest attributes are CON and CHA.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

trapstar posted:

Apparently Grigori Rasputin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16y1AkoZkmQ) has an official stat block in Pathfinder. Unsurprising his highest attributes are CON and CHA.

Yeah he was a villain in the Reign of Winter adventure path, which also had the party go up against a russian tank.

In the aftermath of that Anastasia Romanov became the queen of Irrisen in Golarion.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Because Rasputin is supposedly Baba Yaga's son and Anastasia is his daughter, and the queens of Irrisen have all been daughters of Baba Yaga, but now she's going with a granddaughter. The queens reign for a century before Baba Yaga comes and drains their life force to fuel her magic, and then she installs a new daughter as queen. One of them betrayed her and tried to imprison her to fuel the daughter's own magic instead, leading to this entire AP.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Then it's confirmed canon the Pathfinder and D&D multiverse are the same

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17358/S5-The-Dancing-Hut-of-Baba-Yaga-2e

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I mean Baba Yaga is as public domain as it gets... and actually, since wizards owns the tesseract version of the hut's interior, paizo had to do something different.

Dear Grandmother is one of the highest-CR creatures in the game though. CR 30, tied with Cthulhu, Mephistopheles, Cernunnos, etc.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Andrast posted:

Yeah he was a villain in the Reign of Winter adventure path, which also had the party go up against a russian tank.

And plenty of WWI firearms to grab too; I love that the intro art to the section of the adventure which had the firearms rules was the iconic gunslinger (a class generally restricted to muzzleloaders) behind a Maxim machine gun with a giant smile on her face.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Reign of Winter was a pretty fun concept to me although with my group it never got any votes when picking APs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Doing some more reading before I try to dive into WOTR again....

From Lords of Night

quote:

The Sinister Urge

Vampirism changes its victims in subtle ways, which are sometimes attributed to the infusion of negative energy and other times blamed on a warping of their soul. Whatever the cause, vampires experience a combination of changes that all add up to a more hungry, unforgiving being. The instinct towards mercy and empathy weakens, while predatory instincts heighten and move towards the forefront of their minds. Vampires are free-willed moral agents and certainly capable of refraining from evil or even actively seeking good, but it’s more difficult for them. Vampires anger swiftly, and their hunger surges to the forefront when they’re frightened or furious. This heightened attack instinct can – and does – work against the vampire quite a bit. It’s easy for vampires to become drunk on the power of undeath and forget that they are far from the apex predators of their food chains, or to lose their composure in a fit of temper and expose themselves before mortals. Self-control is not necessarily more difficult for vampires than it is for the living; rather, they cannot learn the habits of self-control the way that living beings can. No matter how much one beats, trains, or conditions a vampire, they still tend to react instinctively and emotionally to stimuli and they have to remind themselves – even in cases of pure self-interest – not to attack, flee, or otherwise expose themselves. This need to consciously restrain themselves becomes wearying over the years, and older vampires trend towards evil because of sheer exhaustion. Exceptions exist, of course, and are all the more striking for the iron will displayed in remaining virtuous.
(emphasis mine)

I find the idea of a good vampire in Pathfinder interesting because, while I know it's unpopular to have "always chaotic evil" or whatever these days, Pathfinder seems consistent that undeath is bad and wrong. I remember talking about it with someone when the WotR video game first came out as they were indignant about "why my Lich gotta be evil." Because the cycle of life and the multiverse needs souls to go on from the mortal plane, simple as that, and also I thought influence from Negative Energy was supposed to be harmful as well.

And while this is a bit more meta. a lot of this strikes me as very Anne Rice-inspired, especially the whole talk about child vampires. Over in World of Darkness they give you a list of suggested readings and stuff at the end of their books which I always appreciated since it laid out their influences.

Also with regards to WoD, discussions about it always come back to certain writers, for better or worse. Are there are any super notable Pathfinder writers?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There is no such thing as a good vampire. Their very existence depends on being a parasite on the living, same with a lich. If they were actually good the would destroy themselves.

However there is a rich area to explore of undead who think they are good guys doing the right thing. Just making sacrifices for the greater good!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Rutibex posted:

There is no such thing as a good vampire. Their very existence depends on being a parasite on the living, same with a lich. If they were actually good the would destroy themselves.

Parasites aren't evil, especially if the parasitism is voluntary. Vampires need blood to survive, sure. How is that worse than normal humans/elves/dwarves/whatever needing to kill animals and plants to survive? Drinking blood doesn't, by necessity, kill the host. Eating a whole roast pig does. Now, if vampires do seek out intelligent victims and drain them dry, that's evil. But there's no reason a vampire can't source their blood from livestock or willing victims and only take enough to survive on without killing or even severely weakening their donors.

Liches also aren't parasites in any way, for the record. Liches become undead by binding their own soul to an object. It's got nothing to do with anybody else. The methods to do that generally involve seriously evil poo poo, and messing with souls is, IIRC, also inherently evil in Pathfinder's mythos, but liches do not parasitize anyone.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zurai posted:

Liches also aren't parasites in any way, for the record. Liches become undead by binding their own soul to an object. It's got nothing to do with anybody else. The methods to do that generally involve seriously evil poo poo, and messing with souls is, IIRC, also inherently evil in Pathfinder's mythos, but liches do not parasitize anyone.

The ritual to become a lich usually involves consuming another creatures soul. And maintaining the magic of the phylactery also requires feeding it occasional souls. I think I read a few times that the only way to learn the ritual is to make a personal deal with Orcus :v: But Lich Lore isn't really unified or set in stone, I suppose it likely says something different in a few places.

As for vampires, I don't mean they are evil because they kill. Killing is part of nature. They are evil because they are perverting the natural order by preserving their own existence at the expense of actual living people. They might not kill a person when they take their blood, but they do take some of their essence and shorten their life. Living people are meant for the material world, they are here for a purpose (whatever that is). Vampires are doing a double whammy, they are refusing to die and move on to their purpose in the outer plane, and they are shortening the life of mortals and robbing them of their purpose on the material world.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Rutibex posted:

The ritual to become a lich usually involves consuming another creatures soul. And maintaining the magic of the phylactery also requires feeding it occasional souls. I think I read a few times that the only way to learn the ritual is to make a personal deal with Orcus :v:

This isn't parasitism. I haven't ever heard of phylacteries needing fresh souls as fuel, but even then, the only difference between a lich and a normal living person is what they're eating (meat vs souls). Parasites actually specifically do not kill their host.

quote:

They might not kill a person when they take their blood, but they do take some of their essence and shorten their life.

Draining blood does not shorten someone's life unless you drain enough to kill them outright. It does 1d4 Con damage, which heals at a natural rate of 1 per day. After a maximum of 4 days, you're fine. There are no lingering effects.

I think we're talking from slightly different perspectives. All corporeal undead in pathfinder will show up on detect evil just like a cleric of an evil-aligned deity would (even if the cleric was neutral on the good-evil axis). However, ALL sapient creatures are capable of making moral actions and, thus, can be any alignment. Vampires can have a non-evil alignment by refusing to act in an evil manner, but their existence is inherently against the natural order and will "ping" as evil, and the circumstances will push them towards doing evil acts and becoming evil in alignment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
In Pathfinder 1e, Undead Revisited says it’s solely a lich’s magic sustaining their unlife, no soul consumption required. 2e or 3.5 might be different in their own undead books.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Also, as the rest of the passage says, when you become undead you kind of stop being a "person" that is capable of learning and changing in various ways with life experiences - they kinda get stuck where they are only with an additional hunger and less positive emotions which make it require active effort to not do evil actions and thus drift toward evil. And, well, part of undeath is that it lasts until you're destroyed, so the longer it goes on the harder it is to follow the rules of what is good, since they can't rely on what feels right anymore. It's almost inevitable over time that, even if they continue to target exclusively evil prey they'll start doing it in more evil ways. Trying to maintain strict pacifism/nonviolence is another possible route and probably harder to slip out of, but in that circumstance it's probably harder to continue to do enough *good* to avoid shifting to neutrality.

On the other topic, it's generally implied at least that you have to do some pretty bad stuff to get your soul off of you and into a soul cage, but they never go into detail on the specifics of the rituals involved aside from that it varies between individuals. BUT even if you did find a non-evil way to do it, you're still undead and have the problem above, which is also why liches generally end up looking like skeletons - they lose motivation to maintain their fleshy bodies over time since they don't really benefit in keeping it.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 7, 2022

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I don't have the books in front of me, but in Golarion wasn't Arazni unwillingly turned into a lich and made rule of Geb? She Had A Bad Time and I think is evil-aligned, but it's an example of someone turned into a lich unwillingly, after being good-aligned up to that point. From what I remember (and a real quick archives of nethys search) it doesn't seem like the lichdom had anything to do with the evil turn, it was more the Real Bad Time she had.

I guess what I'm saying is that's a precedent for a good-aligned character becoming a lich, and however someone wants to lay it out in their game there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule that liches (and by extension vampires) are 100% evil all the time.

In some edition/rpg world weren't there elven liches that were not evil and were guardians of ancient culture or something?

boxen fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 7, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Golux posted:

Also, as the rest of the passage says, when you become undead you kind of stop being a "person" that is capable of learning and changing in various ways with life experiences - they kinda get stuck where they are only with an additional hunger and less positive emotions which make it require active effort to not do evil actions and thus drift toward evil. And, well, part of undeath is that it lasts until you're destroyed, so the longer it goes on the harder it is to follow the rules of what is good, since they can't rely on what feels right anymore. It's almost inevitable over time that, even if they continue to target exclusively evil prey they'll start doing it in more evil ways. Trying to maintain strict pacifism/nonviolence is another possible route and probably harder to slip out of, but in that circumstance it's probably harder to continue to do enough *good* to avoid shifting to neutrality.

On the other topic, it's generally implied at least that you have to do some pretty bad stuff to get your soul off of you and into a soul cage, but they never go into detail on the specifics of the rituals involved aside from that it varies between individuals. BUT even if you did find a non-evil way to do it, you're still undead and have the problem above, which is also why liches generally end up looking like skeletons - they lose motivation to maintain their fleshy bodies over time since they don't really benefit in keeping it.

It’s also a Dreamscarred book, not first party Paizo stuff. Lore probably doesn’t match the official campaign setting/books.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The best Paizo resource we have on it now is probably the 2e Book of the Dead, which I have not finished but generally comes out on "Yeah intelligent undead can still maintain neutrality if not outright good, but it's hard to do so because of the hunger etc. and it gets even harder and less likely over time."

The Golux fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 7, 2022

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm doing some character planning for my first foray into Pathfinder for a new campaign I'll be joining and I've homed in on Alchemist as I've always wanted to explore using alchemical items from 3.5 and this class seems the most focused on that as well as being able to grow past it when these items get weaker later on (i still intend to produce and peddle them during adventure downtime as a secondary source of income). As part of a 3 caster(Alchemist, Sorcerer, and Summoner) group with a possible 4th player I mostly intend to use my character's climb speed to stay in unreachable areas to chuck bombs, tanglefoots, or poisoned daggers to contribute. Eventually I'll dole out some heals with Infusions or any CLW wands I stumble across. A major theme I wanted with this character was to craft and after a thorough study of rules it seems crafting times of mundane items is fairly onorous for players. Our DM says to expect a fair amount of downtime in the campaign so I think I can get by fine with this if I build right. I also want to see if the DM will give me benefits for taking a few flavor ranks into Profession(Merchant) to help me reduce material costs of crafting and also improve income from sales. I already have a culture trait specific to the DM's setting that boosts my profits by 20% so I'm guessing he may be receptive if he doesn't feel I'm getting too far ahead of the wealth curve. If anyone has experience with using alchemists or just crafting in general and wants to give advice I invite you to look over my character plan for the first 10 levels and see what you think.

code:
Miang the Alchemist, Roles: Support crafter, wall climbing bomber
10 Point Buy STR 8 DEX 13 CON 10 INT 17 WIS 10 CHA 7
Racials +2 DEX, +2 CHA, - 2 CON
STR 8(-1) DEX 15(+2) CON 8(-1) INT 17(+3) WIS 10(0) CHA 9(-1)
Small DM setting race with climb speed 20 and prehensile tail
Relevant DM Trait: Trade Apprenticeships <-- +20% profit from craft and profession			
PF Traits(4 per DM rules): 
Pragmatic Activator (Magic) <-- UMD with int bonus instead of cha			
Fortified Drinker (Religion) <-- Thematic with character's gluttony aspect and boosts some will saves
Accelerated Drinker (Combat) <-- Prehensile tail helps this greatly
Indomitable Faith (Faith) <-- Boost to low will progression
Level Planner, Alchemist 10
B= Bomb F= Feat D=Discovery
1   B: 1d6+3 4 Bombs,  F: Point Blank Shot
2   B: 1d6+3 5 Bombs,  D: Frost Bomb
3   B: 2d6+3 6 Bombs,  F: Extra Discovery: Tumor Familiar: Valet Greensting Scorpion (+4 init)
4   B: 2d6+4 8 Bombs,  D: Infuse Extract, Ability: 18 Int
5   B: 3d6+4 9 Bombs,  F: Two Weapon Fighting
6   B: 3d6+4 10 Bombs, D: Precise Bombs
7   B: 4d6+4 11 Bombs, F: Rapid Shot
8   B: 4d6+4 12 Bombs, D: Fast Bombs A: 16 Dex
9   B: 5d6+4 13 Bombs, F: Precise Shot
10  B: 5d6+4 14 Bombs, D: Smoke Bomb into Nauseating Bomb asap?

+1 Will from traits, Reflex goes from +2 to +3 at level 8
Lv  F   R   W   |  Extracts: 17(+3) INT, 18(+4) INT at level 4
                |  1  2  3  4  5  6
1   1   4   1   |  2  -  -  -  -  -
2   2   5   1   |  3  -  -  -  -  -
3   2   5   2   |  4  -  -  -  -  -
4   3   6   2   |  4  2  -  -  -  -
5   3   6   3   |  5  3  -  -  -  -
6   4   7   3   |  5  4  -  -  -  -
7   4   7   3   |  5  4  2  -  -  -
8   5   9   3   |  5  5  3  -  -  -
9   5   9   4   |  6  5  4  -  -  -
10  6   10  4   |  6  5  4  2  -  -

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 18, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Talk specifically and thoroughly with the GM about how crafting works in his game and what you want to do and what he'll let you do. Crafting in Pathfinder 1e is notoriously broken in a bunch of ways game balance-wise, and different GMs will use different fixes/approach it in different ways.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Get Precise Shot before 9. Two weapon fighting and rapid shot both give -4, a -8 throwing into melee is brutal even against touch AC

E forgot about fast bombs requirement

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Ah, I had originally had precise shot at level 6 and precise bombs at 9 but I had read preventing splash on allies was a high priority. Could I swap frost bombs' position with precise shot and get by fine or is the lack of alternate damage types going to bite me in the rear end by then? If so I'll just swap precise bombs with precise shot's spot. Just going human and taking the extra feat would make this so much easier, but I'm not going to do that.

Grenadier isn't an option I want to take either because I want to brew potions. :v:

Alternatively, would playing a bomber alchemist that doesn't go the nova route be viable? Maybe push twf, rapid shot, and fast bombs into later levels and focus on battlefield control to let the summoner eidolon and sorcerer dole out the hurt.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 19, 2022

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I got a lot of mileage out of Targeted Bomb Admixture. Precise Bombs is good but Precise Shot is super required

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Alchemist is a class that I've just never been able to wrap my head around. I'm actually joining a Pathfinder 1E game again soon and thought about playing one but level 14 seems like a hard place to start a class you haven't played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The secret to understanding Pathfinder 1e's alchemist is that it's actually three different half-a-classes roughly stapled together. It's much easier to wrap your head around it when you use an archetype that swaps one of the halves to something that actually complements the other two halves, like Vivisectionist replacing bombs with stuff that actually synergizes with mutagen or grenadier replacing the poison stuff with abilities that actually synergize with bombs.