Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Orange Devil posted:

I feel like I'm talking to a wall here. Let's try in a different way.

When I compare the lvl 6 Bard class feat Dirge of Doom to other lvl 6 class feats it seems like it is way stronger than the rest of them. Am I missing something or do others see the same thing I'm seeing?

You are not wrong, its extremely strong. It's roughly equivalent to a 3rd level Fear, and an at-will 3rd level spell (of a pretty good spell) at 6th level is very very good.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Epi Lepi posted:

Is HeroLabs worth the cost at all? My group is thinking of trying out PF2e and having an online character builder might make it easier for us to try it out in this world of Covid and playing over chat. Only some of us have the physical books, though does PF2e have everything up in an SRD like 1e?

Try Pathbuilder 2e for character building, it's very good.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Schadenboner posted:

So I don't want to meme or start an edition war or something but if Pathfinder was "3.75" would Pathfinder 2E be like "3.99" or is the versioning system anachronistic at this point and PF represents a Non-5E/Non-OSR approach to D&D all its own or what?

Pathfinder 2E is substantially different from Pathfinder 1e/3.X (its actually takes some cues from 4E).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, I've done text-based asynchronous games on Discord using Roll20 for maps, it works

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I'd also be up for a game

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

CottonWolf posted:

Did you spot the follow up post where he almost word for word says "I wouldn't say that, I have gay friends"?

For those who don't want to have to find it

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Selachian posted:

The expectation is that you're (usually) not going to be using Shield Block on every hit -- since the DM should tell you the damage before you decide whether to Shield Block or not, you can save the Blocks for crits or high damage rolls that might take you out, and rely on the shield's passive AC bonus the rest of the time.

Of course, you can also Repair your shield, or use a mending spell on it. And if you want to rely more on blocking, you can buy a Sturdy Shield.

OBJECTION!

Using Shield Block on crits or high damage rolls is the worst way to use it and make it seem worthless. You want to use it on low damage hits. Consider two cases:

Goofus uses his steel shield only when he gets crit. He takes three hits of 8 damage each and then used Shield Block on a crit of 16 damage. He had saved himself from 5 damage and his shield is now broken.

Gallant uses his steel shield on smaller hits. He uses Shield Block on each of the 8 damage hits, and doesn't use it on the critical hit. He has saves himself from 15 damage and his shield is not yet broken.

Use Shield Block on small hits, not big ones.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 11, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Chevy Slyme posted:

If you’re comfortable replacing the shield, saving your last block above BT for a big hit is good though.

Not really, you block exactly as much damage from a small hit as a big one and a small hit will just knock you below the shield broken limit (meaning you can just do a 10 minute repair check) rather than have to replace the entire shield like the big hit will do.. It is not worth blocking a big hit unless it stops you from being knocked out.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 11, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I'm playing a gnoll fighter (Crunch ancestry feat gives a1d8 bite attack with the grapple trait) that has the unarmed feats, its very fun

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 15, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Sweep is fine but it's not really worth a feat IMO (especially since dwarves have some really good ancestry feats)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah what’s a good level 1 ancestry feat? Going to go with a bastard sword, didn’t know it was the same as the fancy axe (basically) but sans sweep.

was looking at the one that gets rid of the armor movement penalty?

If you're wearing medium or heavy armor that feat (Unburdened Iron) is the one you want to get. Rock Runner is also pretty good.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Shameful medium armor for now, so i'll go with Unburdened Iron.

What are people's thoughts on Sudden Charge vs Power Attack? I guess Sudden Charge is 3 actions for 2 points, but seems like if you don't move twice then it's just the same as moving once and attacking?

Power attack is pretty bad mechanically. Sudden charge, on the other hand, is pretty good. There are a lot of fights that start out between 2 and 3 movements away that will let you save an action.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Harold Fjord posted:

Kinda depends on the size. A power attacked d12 will be some hot poo poo at low levels.

Power Attack is at its worst at low levels, to the point where its worse than just straight out attacking at most of low levels

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Jarvisi posted:

Literally everyone is singing the praise of foundry vtt. How is it compared to roll20?

Much better, chiefly because there's a module you can add to do pretty much anything you want to do

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The alchemist is bad and the fixes have merely made it somewhat less bad, it is still substantially the worst class, especially for new players who don't know how to wring out maximum effectiveness that still only gets the alchemist to a level to where its comparable to the baseline of other classes.

They should just bite the bullet and do a full rewrite of the alchemist from scratch

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Epi Lepi posted:

Medicine is possibly the most important skill in PF2e.