Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Are there any prestige classes out there that let me grow wings out my back? Or will I have to wait till epic level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Swags posted:

This is a 3.5 question. I'm posting it here because this is the closest thing to a 3.5 thread.

I'm going to make a Dragonfire Adept (from Dragon Magic) for an ongoing campaign in case my current character dies. I'd like to do it with Vow of Poverty (Book of Exalted Deeds), and add the Saint template (also from BoED).

Now, I'd like to take Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace, which state you can't hurt anyone ever if they're alive (undead and constructs don't count). If they try to attack you, they have to make a Fort save or their weapon just shatters, and they also have to make a Will save or be affected by Calm Emotions (and thus, unable to attack).

Problem with this is that Saint has a special ability. Whenever an evil creature hits you with a natural attack, they take 1d6 damage from holy bleedoff.

My question is whether or not this would qualify as breaking my Vow of Nonviolence/Peace since I didn't intentionally wound them.

Another question is if there are any Exalted feats anywhere besides the BoED and the Player's Guide to Faerun, because I can't find any and the options are lacking, really. Especially with a bonus feat every other level for Vow of Poverty.

This sounds terrible.

I'd guess it would be up to the DM.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Lets put it this way. The multiclassed wizard/cleric in my 9th level Pathfinder game is pulling his own weight, and at time outdamaging me, a 9th level Paladin. Did I mention that the DM isn't letting anyone cast 3rd level spells or higher? He's still doing good.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Honestly casters are overpowered as hell but this is still worthless out of context of your individual builds and stats (do you guys roll or do pointbuy/arrays?) because classes like the Paladin and Monk that are MAD are really easy to gently caress up and make terrible.

This is true. We did 25 point buy. I assume the wizard/cleric is somewhat optimized (and it would be worse if he wasn't). He definitely has the feats that allow him to have a caster level of 10 when he casts those level 2 spells.

My paladin isn't a special snowflake, so I put stats in str and cha, and focused on feats that increased my combat ability (power attack, that one that lets you double your weapon damage, weapon focus, etc)

We've got reasonable gear for our level.

It seems to work out fine

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I can see their point on the subject, I don't think any of the armor out of the core book could stop a bullet.

Why is it realistic that my armor can't stop bullets, but I can take several of them with no problem. Someone made a rule, fell in love with it, and now that it doesn't work, is trying to justify it under the guise of realism.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Also there are ways to make the PCs lose without killing them. "Oh poo poo, you're all captured and sold into slavery! Enjoy escaping the salt mines!" or "Holy crap! That village full of NPCs you all liked? Burned to the ground and everyone massacred." or "Goddamn, I need a calculator to tally up the number of innocent lives that have been lost due to your failure." or "The goblins drag you back to their camp. They've got a big pot set to boiling and are currently sprinkling you with salt and spices. What do you do?"

These are interesting scenes that can test both the characters and the players, and really, forcing the players to deal with the consequences of their failure is actually a better punishment than just making them roll new characters.

Indeed. Unless the death is literally the least interesting consequence in D&D. It counter-intuitive, because death in the real world is a very power fear. In D&D it just means the story of the character is over with no real bookend. The exception being if the character's death is some noble sacrifice, or some MAJOR story arc.

It does matter what kind of game you're playing though. If the expectation is a hardcore dungeon crawl, light on story, don't fudge the dice, and let people die where they may. The emphasis in these games is the combat, and fudging this can lead to a feeling that the combat isn't important, which leads to "so what the hell are we doing".

One could argue that you shouldn't fudge dice. The argument is if you are fudging dice, then you've subtly DM fiated that the PCs were meant to win the fight. If the outcome is determined, why are you rolling dice. Move on to things that aren't determined and are interesting. If you find your in an situation where you had to fudge the dice so the namless kobold doesn't crit and kill the PC, shouldn't you ask yourself "Why are my PCs fighting nameless kobolds?"

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Did the online character sheet app ever come out? If not, if there is a site like Iplay4e out there for Pathfinder?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I don't get the mentality that forms at the crossroads of "you must get this much XP to level" and "XP only comes from fighting monster and disabling traps". Its not a video game. Just give the players XP, and just level them at the appropriate time.

Just last session, we were 99xp from leveling and everyone was tired of being level 1. If I was GMing, I just would have just GM fiat and the explanation of "quest XP". Instead, the GM had us fight a 2 small earth elementals, and then rest immediately afterward. It was immensely unsatisfying and felt incredibly forced.

Seriously, just level characters when appropriate and stop worrying about the small stuff.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

This is really a matter of preference.

If it were something small like the 99xp you mentioned, I'd just give it to them at the end of a session.

However, a lot of my players are used to the "kill moster, get xp" mindset (from MMOs or old school RPGs) and they really enjoy it.

While I play fast and loose, I don't just level them when it feels right. I'm also pretty new so I'm not even sure I'd know.

Its usually every two or three sessions. At lower levels keep it quick and snappy, as you tend to have a smaller pool of options and those options tend to be blander. Higher levels can take longer simply because you have more options to use. Also this is dependent on your group. Get to the level range your group likes quickly, (or start there) and slow down then.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

How long are your sessions? How many encounters per session? I know you said you don't crunch the numbers, but ballpark it for me. My players are mostly new, and as such slower. I'd like the leveling will be pretty standard, maybe on the slower side, so they can get used to their abilities and then see the increase of power. Maybe I'm overthinking it and should just let them level quicker.

However, I'm currently just using a module, which only runs from levels 1-2. They left some hooks for extrapolation, so I added a small mini-dungeon with my own encounters in it, but overall I don't think they'll hit third level by the time the adventure ends.

After this module I'm going to ask the players if any of them want to continue playing their characters. If not, I'll start some other module, or maybe an adventure path.

If they do want to continue, I'll try to string this module to another one, starting at level 3. If they're not there yet, I'll just give it to them. Anyone who doesn't like their character is free to roll up a new one at 3rd level for the new module.

We'll see how it pans out. Thanks again.
We do 4 to 5 hour sessions with two to four "encounters" per session. Everyone is a veteran of several editions, so we've all done the level 1 thing several times before. If you've got a preset module, that can be a good guideline to just level as you progress through (in a level 1-2, halfway you should hit 2, and hit three at the end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

What are the kick rear end 2nd level wizard spells? I'm restricted to Core, and looking down the list, Web seems good, but everything else seems very meh.