Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Skull and Shackles. It is fairly great. I recommend it. I'm DMing it right now and it is one of the most fun games I've ever been involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Meepo posted:

Ultimate equipment is coming out. Could it contain the key to making monks not suck? no

Bodywrap of mighty strikes: chest item (so you can't wear monk robes), grants an enhancement bonus to ONE natural attack per round, costs 50% more than a magic weapon.

Brawling armor property: +2 to unarmed attack, damage, and grapple checks...would be awesome, but it's an armor property, meaning monks can't get it.

They seriously don't want people to play monks.

1st one is useless for a monk, but hey. Make it into a shirt and you're fine. Most DMs allow poo poo like this.

2nd one is... gently caress it. Put it on the shirt. Or bracers. Ugh. Stupid Paizo.

ONTO MY QUESTION: PCs took over a Rahadoumi pirate ship in Skull and Shackles and want the name of the crew. What kind of a people are Rahadoumis, so I know what to name them?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So they've been steamrolling through every encounter you've been running and now there's one that's apt to challenge them and you... don't want it to? All due respect, it's a single Babau. It's probably going to be a three round combat, maybe 5 rounds if you throw in spell resistance and the darkness miss chance. Just throw it at them.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
A couple days ago we're playing the last book in the Curse of the Crimson Throne AP. My dude is a level behind the rest of the party. Anyhow, my Ninja levels to 15, and the rest of the party, including an Oracle, a Fighter, and a Witch all hit level 16.

Here's what I got:
+1 BAB, and a third attack. Yey.
Skills
+1d6 on my sneak attack.

The oracle got this:
The ability to cast greater planar ally. His plan is to summon a Planetar who will be told to defend him and follow his every order.

So I got an additional die of sneak attack, and he got an additional 16th level cleric with 250 hp and a host of other poo poo.

Totally fair.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
It doesn't. Skulls and Shackles takes place in the Shackles, which is to the North of the Mwangi Expanse. The only time the Expanse is even mentioned is in the second book, when the PCs go to a small village on the coast of the expanse to get their own ship altered a bit. Otherwise, all their adventuring takes place south of the Eye and North of Bloodcove in the main area of islands.

That's not saying they can't choose to go there themselves. They definitely can, and the book even makes mention of capturing/selling slaves (as pirates tended to do) near Bloodcove, but they never have to. I've read through all six books and they are never forced by the published material to go there.

Edit : if you want I can give you a general breakdown, but there's very little of the kind of stuff you're talking about in there.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Remember, as per item creation rules, you can ignore any prerequisite needed to create the item by adding more to the spellcraft check. This means any spells required, caster level, feats that are not the specific item creation feat, class abilities, etc. So you could make all that poo poo if you want to.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm talking to my DM and I think I just cleared this with him as viable.

The Spellslinger is a Wizard Archetype that gets a gun (I know, I know, stay with me), and can "cast spells through it."

A spellslinger can cast any ranged touch attack, cone, line, or ray spells through his arcane gun. When he casts through the arcane gun, the gun’s enhancement bonus (if any) is a bonus to the spell’s attack rolls or to the spell’s saving throw DCs. Yet there are dangers inherent to this method. If any of the spells’ attack rolls result in a natural 1 (a misfire), or a natural 20 is rolled on any saving throw made against the spell by a target (an overload), the arcane gun gains the broken condition. If the arcane gun already has the broken condition, the gun explodes. When a gun explodes, it lets loose a blast of force, or if the spell has the acid, cold, electricity, or sonic descriptor, it deals that type of energy damage instead. In the case of spells with multiple descriptors, roll randomly among the descriptors to determine the type of damage dealt by the blast. The blast is centered on a single intersection within the spellslinger’s space (spellslinger’s choice) and deals 1d6 points of the appropriate energy damage or force damage per level of the spell cast. Any creature within the blast other than the spellslinger can make a Reflex saving throw to halve the damage. The Reflex save DC is calculated using the spell level of the spell being sacrificed.

I'm fine with the explodey/misfire stuff, that can be fun. It's also really neat that the enhancement bonus of my weapon gets added to saves cast through the gun.

So I'm looking at the Archetype, and I realize something: All of the listed powers are available at level one. None of them scale in any way based on your Wizard level. The Archetype removes your Arcane school, which also would have scaled with your Wizard level. The only thing that you got for taking Spellslinger levels were the bonus feats every five levels, and the spells themselves. You also have FOUR prohibited schools, so progressing as a Wizard doesn't seem so great.

That seems pretty lame, but it was interesting because nothing scaling means that I can take one level of it, and have basically all that the class has to offer.

I ran it by my DM, and he agrees: Nowhere in the Archetype description do they specify that the spells you cast through your gun have to come from your Wizard spell slots.

So you could be a Spellslinger 1 / Sorcerer 4 and be casting 2nd level Sorcerer spells through the gun, while having a scaling Bloodline and no prohibited schools. You could even dump your INT, really.

Or, you could be a Spellslinger 1 / Cleric 3 and be casting divine spells through it, while having two domain powers and everything else Clerics offer.

And then I thought, "the fact that the Spellslinger class doesn't scale except for the Wizards spell progression sucks" and it came to me. This may be the only time Mystic Theurge makes any sense.

A MT level is basically the same as a Spellslinger level, except for those bonus feats every 5 levels, and it would also progress a divine caster.

Spellslinger 3 / Cleric 3 / MT 1

I'll have tons of spell slots, which is good for Mage Bullets:

A spellslinger is adept at transferring spell energy into his arcane gun attacks. As a swift action, he can sacrifice a spell and transform that energy into a weapon bonus equal to the level of the spell sacrificed on a single barrel of his firearm. With that weapon bonus the spellslinger can apply any of the following to his arcane bond: enhancement bonuses (up to +5) and dancing, defending, distance, flaming, flaming burst, frost, ghost touch, icy burst, merciful, seeking, shock, shocking burst, spell storing, thundering, vicious, and wounding. An arcane gun gains no benefit from having two of the same weapon special abilities on the same barrel. The effect of the mage bullets ability lasts for a number of minutes equal to the level of the spell sacrificed, or until this ability is used again to assign the barrel different enhancements.

So I can burn a 3rd level Cleric spell and give my gun a +3 bonus, or +1 bonus with flaming and shock.

If I get spell storing on the gun (or use that mage bullet power to do it), I could cast several interesting spells into it, from either list. A +1 fiery, shocking bullet that delivers a Intensified Shocking Grasp. Or a +3 bullet that delivers Inflict Serious Wounds. Or a +1 Merciful bullet that delivers Bestow Curse. Resolving against Touch AC, from range, on top of the actual bullet's damage.

You lose out on the Cleric Domains beyond 3rd level (2nd level spells), and your Wizard school, but the Spellslinger loses it outright anyway.

You will always be a spell level behind what you could be, as a pure class.

But you are casting spells through a gun.

Can you combine these two abilities? As in, burn a fifth level spell to give your gun a +5 enhancement bonus and then use that bonus to increase your DCs by five?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Is there a book specifically about Magnimar? I'm thinking of maybe running the Shattered Star path and it focuses heavily on the city.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Alrighty, so this is gonna take a bit of explaining, but here goes (couple of spoilers for the Skull and Shackles campaign):

I'm currently running the Skull and Shackles campaign path for my group. But, it didn't really start off that way. I'm in Gaist's Way of the Wicked campaign here on the forums, and one night when no one had anything to run I opened up the ol' iPad to the forum game and just sort of ran Way of the Wicked for everyone. Each of my players is some manner of tiefling. We have the following party: Elf/Tiefling wizard, Undine/Azura Tiefling gunslinger, Half-Orc/Kyton Tiefling corsair (class from Freeport Companion), Half-Orc/Qlippith Tiefling rogue, and a Grippli/Div Tiefling alchemist. They were all tieflings, you see, because Way of the Wicked is EVIL, and so they might as well be as EVIL as possible or some nonsense. Whatever, it worked, it was fun. But, I don't actually own the Way of the Wicked book, so the next week I grabbed Skull and Shackles and we started playing that instead, we just ported the characters over.

The crew is now in the middle of the second book, and has a ship of their very own, charmingly called the Infernal Mistake. They're out trying to be pirates and do piracy on the high seas and earn enough of a name for themselves so that they can sail into Port Peril without being looked at as food for the masses. One of the little side objectives is to 'crack' Tidewater Rock, an island tower at the very southern tip of the Shackles. How do they crack it?

Tidewater Rock is something of a legend because anyone that owns it can see all of the ships entering the Shackles to the south, which makes picking targets easy. So pirates that own the rock tend to do very, very well for themselves, and at least one has even become King of the Shackles. The last pirate owner, a man named Bertram "Iron Bert" Smythee used Tidewater Rock as the foothold to start sort of a 'network' of fortresses in the archipelago. He then died a few years later, and the Tidewater Rock has been guarded ever since by his wife and her retainers, though they are currently unable to leave the island due to the lack of a ship. So while the defenses of the rock are good (catapults, ballistas, able soldiers, etc), they're not doing too well morale-wise.

So my players, seeing an opportunity, decide the PC captain, the scarred and pierced-all-to-hell Kytonspawn should marry her. RPing it very well, she agrees. He 'cracks' Tidewater Rock with an arranged marriage, and she gets a way to actually get some nice stuff coming to the island again. Everyone's happy. The PCs ask her a bit more about her ex-husband, Iron Bert, and she mentions the castle 'network' he had. Naturally, being PCs, they decide that they want it, too. Hell, they want it now. They've decided that they'll get more Infamy by reacquiring Iron Bert's network than by doing standard piracy. Now, they PCs want to do this, so I am all for it but this poo poo is not in the book at all, so I gotta sort of come up with it on the fly.

As such, this is what I've come up with so far, note that all of these will likely be somewhat close to Tidewater Rock, likely no more than a half week's sail away:

Iron Bert's Castle Network

The Vein is a stronghold on the eastern tip of the archipelago. It is a cavernous dry dock that ol' Iron Bert was convinced to take by his ship's mage. The mage himself was working to further the corrupting goals of a dreaded qlippith known as the Mother of Nightmares. He used some of the sprawling cavern network below to summon and experiment on, and even dissect, many outsiders, including archons, qlippiths, garuda, and azata. After his last visit to the island, nearly fifteen years ago, many of his beasts broke free and began to war against each other, and to corrupt and taint the nearby tribes on the island. As such, azata-blooded gnolls, garuda-blooded nagaji, qlippoth-blooded tritons, and demodand-blooded anguillians are all presents on or near the island. Unfortuantely, while their outsider forebearers attempted to get the lot of them to war with each other, the tribes were generally uninterested, and instead used the abilities granted to them by their extra-planar benefactors to befriend one another and fight against the outsiders. Many of the outsiders summoned even more monstrous things and then fled the island when their own 'pets' got out of control.

Now, Scyllan fiends and lurkers in the deep haunt the halls of the Vein, locked away by the natives, and the outpost the natives have set up is beginning to collapse as the fiends rage and attempt to break free of the halls. They natives need leadership and willing adventurers to save them from the deeps.

Monsters: Lots of outsiders. loving -lots-.
Reward: One magical cigar case filled with six magical cigars, a pair of bracers of armor +3, slippers of nightwalker (+5 stealth, +20' speed at night), and Moron's Wand of CLW (10 charges, will only work for non-casters, non-UMDers).
Land: The Vein's natives truly want to live in peace and just engage in trade. The place could become a Mecca for merchants. Additionally, Conjuration spells that Call or Summon work on the island at +4 character levels. Enchantment spells simply fail on or near the island.

The Lonely Island is called such because it rests in the center of a lake in the middle of another island. The island in the middle was once connected to the other island by way of a land bridge that has since crumbled. Atop the island is the Solacarium, a tower built thousands of years ago by peoples unknown. However, the tower does have a legend surrounding it that Aashaq the Annihilator (ancient red dragon cleric of Dahak 7) came here in her early years and used the tower as the home of a Katapeshi princess she kidnapped to ransom. The princess's holy father would have no part in making deals with a dragon and sent nearly his entire armada to rescue his daughter, driving Aashaq off to the north. The Katapeshi men truly enjoyed the splendor of the isle, however, and began to use it at a safe haven for Katapeshi ships traversing the Shackles. Things native to Katapesh were imported to the isle over the years, by ship or by magic, and it was one of the few places to find such exotic beasts or plants in the Shackles.

Many, many years later, when Aashaq had attained massive size, the vile queen flew back to the island and annihilated the city that had grown there, burning everything save the tower to the ground (apparently, she had some plans for the tower in the future that never quite came to pass). The Lonely Island is now overrun by creatures far out of their element, including saquero warriors, jackals, giant scorpions, cammelbels (humanoid, cannibal camels), braxats (2nd edition monster), and sand skimmer lizards. Another dragon, this one a rattlyr, attempting to mimic Aashaq's rise to fame, has taken over the center of the island itself, including the tower. It is holding another princess captive, though this time, the princess is a lamia.

Monsters: Listed above.
Reward: Katapeshi type stuff. Scimitars, headwraps, lammellar armor, etc. Likely all with a desert-y type theme.
Land: The tower itself is nigh-impregnable, and if the PCs are smart enough to figure it out they'll realize it's a double-sized Daern's Instant Fortress. If not, no biggie, it'll just stay there. The island is a nice hiding place, but only from everything that's not Aashaq.

Wodenpit is the third stronghold Iron Bert knew. Wodenpit is built upon the ruins of an ancient Gol-Kaa city, and has been rebuilt many, many times over the years, with each new influx of occupants just seeming to build onto the old occupant's ruins. There seems to be a bit of a 'bad luck' radiating about the place, and the ruins of at least a dozen separate sets of inhabitants are present. Currently, the island is inhabited by a small collection of simian humanoids. Tasloi, Vanara, Murians, and Hadozee, about fifty of each, are the currently settlers of the ruins, and have built areas on the ground as well as small tree-top walkways and homes. The lot of them worship Besmara in the form of a gigantic crocodile they refer to as Brackjaw, from the stream of swamp water constantly dripping from the croc's mouth.

Also on the island and in the ruins are cyclopean abominations, cyclopean undead, and the psychopomps the cyclopes summoned to try to save their civilization. The outsiders are still attempting to serve the Cyclopes, but the cyclopes are all dead, so they are taking the deranged orders of the abominations instead while the undead attack everyone they can. The key to ending the conflict is likely in convincing the psychopomp 'general' to allow the spirits of the dead cyclopes to leave the island, or to convince the undead to attack the abominations. Or, by telling all 'cyclops spirits' to leave he'll realize the aberrations aren't truly cyclopes at all and will maybe murder them for this betrayal. Otherwise, the Besmaran simians are going to be wiped out in just a few weeks.

Monsters: Cyclopes-themed undead and aberrations, along with a bunch of psychopomps.
Rewards: Monkey and cyclopes items. Lots of large-sized weapons/armors, scrolls the size of a poster, etc.
Land: While the simians will thank their saviors, they're not just going to bend over and allow the PCs to rule the island. They'll settle for giving them a portion of it unless one of the PCs really plays it up. Besides, there's more monkeys than pirates, so the PCs are really outnumbered. They will find a nice uncovered portion of an ancient Gol-Kaa vault, however, and they'll discover that Necromantic magic cast on the island works wonderfully, likely around +4 caster level.

'Mental Spire is a mistake twenty years in the making. Iron Bert's devious mage discovered a Well of Many Worlds in their plunder of a Cheliaxian ship and convinced his captain, successfully, not to use it until he had more time to study it. Unfortunately, not all on the crew were as willing to let a fine piece of plunder sit isle and unsold, so it was stolen. As the thief fled, he tripped, and the Well opened upside down to the Elemental plane of Earth, letting through a massive, jutting spire of rock the size of a small mountain. As the mountain grew, the location of the Well changed and changed, which means that the plane from which it was drawing power also changed. Creatures and objects from the planes of Air, Fire, Water, Shadow, Negative, and Positive energy are now also on the island.

The Well was somehow destroyed in the ruckus, but the destroyed artifact infused the island with the power of the planes, allowing for such things at floating rock islands, upside down streams, plants than drain or give life, etc. Atop the spire at a steep climb is a small collection of bungalows once used by Iron Bert to allow his men to rest up and heal after particularly daring raids, as the lands are infused with the power of positive energy. Recently, a group of Hellknights have taken over the spire, and a few Cheliaxian captains have taken over the bay below, in order to rid this world of the vile interplanar invasion, as well as to use the 'Mental Spire as yet another foothold on the Shackles.

Monsters: Things that come from one plane, but are influenced by another. Like ice-infused earth elementals, etc. Also, Hellknights and Cheliaxians.
Reward: Aside from lots of Hellknight plate, there'll be a couple of banishing scrolls, items that endure hostile conditions, weapons that hurt elementals, etc.
Land: The Chels have already set up the beginning for what could be a nice town. Also, the bungalows on top have now been fortified. Those resting in them find themselves healing Con Mod (min, 2)/hr hit points, and possibly using the other rifts to get fantastical reagents or items is possible.

So, those are the four strongholds I have planned out. I've still gotta put together some maps and poo poo for the ones that are actually inside, but hey, should be easy enough. What do you guys think?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
They've just hit level 5. They don't hit level 6 until a predefined point in the adventure path now, so they can just tromp around and I don't have to really worry about them leveling.

They started out on the Way of the Wicked game, but I could only run it as far as it was in the thread (like page 10 at the time), so they are now doing the Skull and Shackles adventure path, book 2.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

smashthedean posted:

Another great fit for Magi that works well with Rogue stuff is the Dervish Dance feat to give him his Dex to damage. If he's committed to Rogue stuff I'd recommend he drop things down to Rogue 1/Magus 6 to get all of his class skills while not hurting his Magus spellcasting. I'd also advise he takes Magical Lineage (shocking grasp) as a trait and Intensified Spell as a feat to keep those shocking grasp damage dice increasing.

This is sort of like saying "Your magus needs to be every other magus."

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
A while back someone posted a build for a wizard with a gun and a lot of Oracle levels. Can't find it though. Could someone link me please?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

50 Foot Ant posted:

We've had a lot of fun with it so far.

I like hearing about your games. I remember playing in your pbp game based on your home game and it seemed really epic all the time.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Why not just let it happen and then when they reincarnate you play the imp while diligently pretending to be your main dude. Just be sure to reincarnate as an aasimar so your imp hates everything about his new body.

Even better, reincarnate as an aasimar. Take the alternative racial ability that lets you count as a human. Take the human feat that allows you to count as a halfling. Level as a sorcerer with the orc bloodine. And then use your other feats on Eldritch Bloodline for the deep stone to count as a dwarf. Voila. You are now playing all your characters at once.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Had a question regarding Greatclubs, which I know and understand are terrible before everyone begins telling me that.

I'm going to make a half-orc rogue using one, and I was wondering if there are any feats specific to them before I planned out my build. Basic build is:

Half-orc Fighter (Unbreakable 2)/Rogue (Stulking Slayer / Scout) XX
1: Power Attack, Endurance, Diehard
2: Cleave
3: Bludgeoner
5: Sap Adept
7: Sap Master

Rush into combat and knock people the hell out.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
"When making and overrun, you can choose to go 'Oh poo poo, I'll just punch him!' And then just punch the guy instead of overrunning him."

Why the gently caress does that feat exist?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Check out the Loot for Less .pdfs on Paizo. Some really cool stuff for low-level dudes.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Calico Noose posted:

So the Arcanist is a mix of sorcerer and wizard... how do you get something new out of mixing two classes that are basically the same anyway?

Bloodlines that draw from a certain school of magic, maybe?

I'm kind of excited for this. I really want them to bring back the Spirit Shaman, Warlock, and Scout, so hopefully this will be them edging in that direction.

Speaking of new magic 'systems,' in 3.5 we had Incarnum, Binding, True Naming, Shadow Magic, Spell Points (or Psi points), and Vancian. Is there any word if Paizo's ever going to move away from straight Vancian and maybe do another type of magic system? I know they have the Word Magic guys from Ultimate Magic, but that's basically just altered Vancian.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
There's people on the paizo website that have statted up the new guys. Hell, if you make this post there they'd probably do it for you.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Seriously, why does this thread have the 'Classic' tag instead of d20? That is just loving pants-on-head retarded.

More to in keeping with thread: I've been trying to play a blasty fire-based Oracle for the Reign of Winter campaign, and the problem I've run across is that the Flame mystery is just horrible. Is there anything at all interesting you can do with it?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So my fire Oracle died on Wednesday night. Went out like a hero, saving his moronic party from their moronic decisions. Hooray, or whatever.

So we're on book 2 of the Reign of Winter AP and I was thinking of a barbarian. Seeing as the psionics stuff is out now, I was looking at Half-Giant to be my race. Half-Giants unfortunately get a penalty to dex, so I probably won't be going the Come and Get Me route. Also, my DM allows flaws, so I'll grab one to gain an extra feat at first level. I wanted a build focused around DR, so here is what I was thinking:

Half-Giant Barbarian (Totem Warrior, Invulnerable Rager) 2 / Monk (Martial Artist) 1 / Fighter (Unbreakable) 1
Stats: High str, High con.

1) Barbarian. Power Attack. Raging Vitality (bonus from flaw)
2) Barbarian. Superstition rage power. All favored class levels in barbarian will go towards increasing superstition.
3) Monk. Dodge (bonus). Crane Style.
4) Fighter. Diehard. Endurance

This is where our game is right now.

5) Barbarian. Stalwart.
6) Barbarian. Witch Hunter rage power.
7) Barbarian. Extra Rage Power (Animal Fury)
8) Barbarian. Intimidating Glare rage power.
9) Barbarian. Extra Rage Power (Dragon Totem)
10) Barbarian. Dragon Resilience
11) Barbarian. Improved Stalwart.

So basically, right now, I have a DR of 1/-. At level 5, with Crane Style, Dodge, and Stalwart it becomes 5/-. At level 10, with Dragon Resilence, it's 13/-. At level 11, with Improved Stalwart, it's 19/-. When I grab Dragon Wings at level 12, it's DR 21.

I really just want to encourage everyone to attack me. I know Come and Get Me encourages that, and I might take it for that reason. My saves should be getting +5 from Superstition, and I'll be grabbing Eater of Magic for even more toughness and hijinks.

Any hints, tips, or criticism?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Is there anything preventing me from using Sneak Attack with Cleave, as long as I flank my enemies?

Half-orcs (or maybe orcs) have a feat called Surprise Follow-through that denies the second person in the Cleave attack their Dex bonus. You can combine this with a rogue with the Scout archetype. Scouts cause those they charge to become flat-footed, so both people lose their Dex against you, and you can sneak attack both.

Edit: In fact, with Improved Surprise Follow-through, you deny everyone in a Great Cleave their dex bonus, too.

Swags fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 5, 2014

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Got some rules questions for you guys.

Which maneuvers can be used on an Attack of Opportunity? As far as I know, the new list is: trip, disarm, dirty trick, steal, bull rush, drag, push, and reposition, but we don't know which can be used on the Attack of Opportunity, if any. Can you use any maneuver even if you don't have the feats for it? Also, the rule in 3.5 was 'the AoO happens before the action that triggered it,' so, for example, you couldn't keep someone permanently tripped, because the AoO they provoke when they stand up technically occurs while they're still prone. Does that still apply?

If a 5-foot-step is technically listed as a 'non-action,' when can I perform it? Multiple scenarios here: I have two attacks, so can I attack someone, five foot step, and attack someone else? I'm a witch maintaining my Fortune on an ally, can I cackle (a move action), five foot step forward, and then cast a spell? My enemy is five feet away, can I five-foot-step, take an attack, and then use a move action to walk away?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

The Summoner is just an unfair class. When I ran/run games I always tell my players they can't play a class that specializes in having more than 1 companion. Lantern Archons and six of them lasting 10 minutes per level is just too much and unfun for the rest of the party.

In our current Pathfinder game, we're on book 2 of Reign of Winter. Our team is:

Castor, Gunslinger.
Sigbjul, Barbarbain.
Grognar, Barbarian with the Mad Dog archetype, and Frosty, his young polar bear.
Deshi, Paladin, with Rover, his mount.
Keeran, Cavalier with Beast Rider archetype, with Derringer, her badger mount.
Colson, Witch, with Rotgut and Tizzyfizzles, his goat and brownie familiars.

We've also picked up:
Nadja, an NPC ranger. She has no pet yet.
Reyngeer, her uncle. Ranger, no pet yet.
Jarra, air cleric. No pet but has a fondness for ravens, so they're always around.
Hralfgin, doppleganger, apprentice to the Gunslinger.

We have so many people on the map at all times it's ridiculous. Someone was talking about playing a Summoner and I think I heard the DM crying inside his own head.

Swags fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 16, 2014

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Is there any way to give a Bard the Tactician ability from the Cavalier class? I know there's a fighter archetype that gets it, but I can't find if there's a bard that does.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Was thinking of an alchemist build focused on bombs for a friend who wanted a gunslinger/alchemist type of thing. Went for this:

I looked into it, and you can be both a Fire Bomber and a Mindchemist, which is way better. So:

Half-Orc Alchemist (Mindchemist/FireBomber 6)

1) Cognatogen instead of Mutagen. Feat: Racial Heritage for Goblin. Sadly, the racial heritage thing is required if we're going to take fire bomber.
2) Discovery: Explosive Bomb
3) Feat: Splash Weapon Mastery
4) Discovery: Explosive Ammo (even if you're just using a crossbow by this point, there is no reason you can't have the bolt loaded with an explosive bomb, just start doing it to firearms later)
5) Feat: Extra Discovery: Strafe Bomb
6) Discovery: Rocket Bomb

We're gonna assume sixth level here. At sixth level, you're dealing 3d6 damage with a bomb. If it's a fire bomb (which is has to be, since you can't do anything else) you're also doing +6 damage from Fire Bomber, and +7 damage from Int (20 base, +4 Cognatogen). Additionally, since you're a half-orc, you're dealing +3 damage, for a staggering total of 3d6+16 fire, which is pretty drat good at that level.

You have Explosive Bombs, so your radius can be 10 feet, and directly hit enemies catch on fire.

You have Rocket Bomb, so your radius can be 20 feet like a fireball, but it only deals splash damage. But the range is FIFTY feet on them. Not bad if you wanna lob in 19 points of fire damage over an area. Note, this can be combined with other bombs, since it's just a delivery method.

You have Strafe bomb, so you can shoot in a 40 foot line. Not good enough? Combine with Explosive Bomb for an 80 foot line that sets someone on fire.

You have Explosive Ammo as a delivery method. Attach it to a weapon and let fly. Currently, your best bet is a crossbow or something, but note: if you miss, it doesn't go off, but is still used. However, it is a DELIVERY method. You can attach an explosive bomb to it. Not good enough? What about an explosive strafe bomb? Or a rocket bomb? Woo.

From here, there's some ways you can go. For one, you can go to Alchemist 8, grab Fast Bombs and Dispelling bombs, and be all around useful. Breath Weapon Bomb is also useful because it's got a 15 foot cone and everyone in the cone counts as being directly hit, but gets a Reflex save. Speaking of that, look into possibly taking Ability Focus: Bombs at level 9 to give you a +2 to your reflex save.

Or, take 3 levels of Fighter with the Trench Fighter archetype. Level 3 gives you proficiency with one firearm, and you're going to choose pistols. Grab the next double-barreled pistol you see, fire with both barrels, and explode some motherfuckers. Tack on Explosive Ammo: Explosive Bomb: Strafe Bomb for a pistol shot that hits someone, lights them on fire, and then explodes in an 80 foot line behind them. Woo!

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

I know we just did the Rogue vs Ninja discussion, but forget Fighter/Rogue and play a Fighter/Ninja if you really like your concept.

Then turn invisible with your keen falchion and make two attacks at full BAB at 3rd level.

Wait, 2 attacks with the falchion at 3rd level? Wha?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So I was futzing around with a single-weapon fighter build and realized 1) how funny this could be and 2) how terrible Paizo's editing department is.

I go Human Monk (Master of Many Styles) 2/Fighter (Swordlord) 11/Aldori Swordlord 1/Duelist however many.

This guy is specialized in using an Aldori Duelist Sword while basically naked. He's got a high dex, a high wisdom, and a fairly good Int. Let's assume he's got 18 Dex, 18 Wis, and a 14 Int by level 13, which isn't terribly difficult.

He gets 4 Dex and 4 Wis to AC from Monk. He's constantly Fighting Defensively if he's fighting at all, giving him a further boost of +6 to AC for -0 to hit (Swordlord combined with acrobatics and Crane Style). So a base AC of 24 now. By this level he should have a good amount of necklaces, etc, for boosting his AC, putting him in the high thirties. Any DM that isn't retarded will just ignore the new Crane Style errata to let him just dodge the attack, but even if not, he's constantly fighting defensively, so use the +4 to AC when you think it's going to let you deflect.

This guy gets +dex to damage, +dex and +wis to AC, and he's starting down the path of getting +int to AC as well. These work with Snake Style and Crane Style and the Swordlord archetype's capstone ability to give this guy a massive number of attacks a round. If someone hits you, you can Counterattack and hit them back. If you deflect their attack with Crane Wing, you can attack them back. If they miss you, you can hit them with Snake Fang, and then hit them again with your sword.

I think this all works. I hope so, because it sounds like a fun character. I know he won't be the most damaging guy, but playing Zatoichi sounds really fun.

Edit: Oh, the weird part: Pathfinder has two Dueling enchantments. One is from the Field Guide and adds twice its enchantment bonus as a luck bonus to all maneuvers, and the other gives a bonus to initiative and disarming. So you can have a +1 Dueling Aldori Dueling Sowrd of Dueling being used by your Aldori Duelist.

Swags fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 29, 2014

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I've been wanting to play a poison build, too. I think Alchemist 8 on into Daggermark Poisoner is the way to go. Alchemists get the ability to make their poisons effect evil outsiders and undead in addition to everyone else. Add in Sticky Poison to hit multiple times, Concentrate Poison to increase the DC. Mutagen up and just stab the poo poo out of people with your poisoned knives. Malignant Poison is nice, but it's level 10 alchemist, and it's really not needed.

Once you get into Daggermark Poisoner you can get Pernicious Poison as a spell like ability, and Accelerate Poison. My best idea would be to get two spellstoring daggers to put each spell into, coat those, and go to town. Giving someone a -4 to their to saves, doubling the number of saves they have to make, and stabbing them with multiple doses a round (so they have to save against each).

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So I was invited to play a 2nd level game and figured that since there's a ton of people at the table already (like 7 or 8) the best thing would be to buff everyone else.

Note, also, this game uses Flaws. The first flaw gets you a feat of your choice, while the second gets you a Skill Focus feat of your choice.

I was thinking Human Cavalier (Luring Cavalier, Musketeer, Strategist) 2.

My feats would be something like:
Flaw: Practised Tactician
Flaw: Skill Focus: Perception
Human: Practiced Tactician
1st: Precise Strike (teamwork)
Cavalier: Paired Opportunists (teamwork)

Plan is to just buff the group, really. Practiced Tactian x2 lets me use Tactician 3x/day. Precise Strike gives my team +1d6 precision damage to all melee attacks (basically useless to me, but whatever). Paired Opportunists gives my team +4 on Attacks of Opportunity if at least two of them threaten a target, and if the creature provokes from one, he provokes from both.

I'm going to craft a dragon pistol and fire some entangling shots to debuff everyone a bit after I buff my team. I was considering level of gunslinger, but honestly if I do that, I want to be a Ratfolk because Gulch Gunner is my favorite archetype. I suppose I could spend a feat on Racial Heritage: Ratfolk, but I haven't locked in the idea of gunslinger yet. The other thing is that if I do lock in Ratfolk, I need to figure out a way to up my AC vs. Attacks of Opportunity, since that's how I'd get my grit back.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Swags fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 1, 2014

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I was actually trying to work out a bard build the other day specializing in taking every possible masterpiece I could. Never spend a feat, only spell slots, and just grab them all.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
On that same list the tortoise does everything the snapping turtle does, but better. Higher a.c., more hit points, higher strength, etc.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I'm playing a whip wielding magus and I had a question.

Can I trip someone and still use spellstrike? Like let's say I put Corrosive Touch on my weapon. Can I trip someone with my whip and still transfer the acid damage?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I believe it's actually x6 for damage. Lance, x2 for charging, + an additional multiplier for Spirited Charge, +x3 for crit = x6.

Order of the Sword Cavalier Beast Riders can do absolutely ridiculous damage. And it's far, far worse at 8th level. At 8th level, their add their mount's strength bonus to their own when charging, so for example, you have a mount with a +5 strength bonus, you have a +5 strength bonus, and you charge? That's +30 damage. That's without adding any other multipliers from a crit, from a magical weapon, etc.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

El Fappo posted:

While this thread is on the topic of adventure paths, is Reign of Winter any good? The fifth book looks like a fantastic concept, but I don't know if the rest of the adventure is any good. I'm looking for something to run for a few buddies of mine, and right now it'll probably be Reign of Winter, Skulls & Shackles, or Kingmaker.

Okay. I've run Skull and Shackles and I'm currently playing in Reign of Winter, so I'll try to give a quick review of both of those.

To begin with Skull and Shackles: It's an interesting concept. The PCs are becoming the big drat pirate lords of the Shackles, taking down neighboring ships, exploring ruins, fighting the bad fight against people that would dispose of the pirate way of life. In my experience, though, more so than any other game I've ever played, Skull and Shackles loves casters. For the first time ever, I saw a PC take Widen Spell (well, he bought the rod first, and then grabbed the feat when they got to around 4th or 5th level spells). Attacking an enemy ship and casting Solid Fog or something on the deck of the enemy ship so that no one on the entire vessel can move is just mind-blowing in being so gamebreaking. The plot can get very repetitive if you don't break it up a bit, too. I.e., to be allowed to get their own charter, the PCs have to get a certain number of piracy points. You get piracy points by attacking ships. Over and over and over. You'll need to introduce your own subplots to make that a little more tolerable.

Reign of Winter I'm playing in now, and it's very much all-or-nothing in some encounters. Spring attacking quicklings with constant invisibility, 60 foot movement speed, and sneak attack? Hard as poo poo. Witches and atomie clerics? Hard as poo poo. A shitload of ice trolls and guardsmen? Not a problem. The story for Reign of Winter, so far, is lacking. Book 5 sounds interesting, yes, but book four even more so, to me. I like Golarion's cosmology, and visiting it should be fun. But the plot itself is good guys helping the bad guy to stop the worse bad guy because the worse bad guy is a really bad bad guy. Also, if your group has already run Curse of the Crimson Throne they might come to realize that this adventure path is essentially the same thing, but with winter/cold/frost as an added theme. Unfortunately, the only other AP my group has run, aside from Skull and Shackles, is Curse of the Crimson Throne. It's not a bad AP, but it needs some work in making Irrisen as a whole seem a bit less like a Snideley Whiplash slapstick evil nation run by mustache-twirling evil villains, because that's honestly how it's written.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Does anyone know of any unique magical nets in Pathfinder? I'm looking through the SRD but I'm not finding any.

I'm thinking of someone using the Net and Trident feat and wanted to maximize my net usage.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Ninja Monk? No. You go Ninja. Do you want to be melee fighter dude? Then you go Ninja and take the skill that gives you monk attacks. Do you want to be Batarang Batman? Then you go ninja and you grab all the stuff that lets you throw a crazy barrage of ninja stars. Both? Then do both! Make sure to grab vanish to guarantee sneak attacks, too.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Calico Noose posted:

I think the Quasit is meant to be a GM skill check, if you're smart enough to ignore their tactics block and realise it's an incredibly lovely boring time for your players to fight a creature they have virtually no chance of detecting that will go invisible and sit there doing nothing regenerating while they wander around the room trying to make the encounter progress, congratulations you win at GMing.

Rise of the Runelords was my first experience with Pathfinder and that stupid Quasit fight almost killed the campaign for me right at the start it was that tedious.

We have a group that rotates GMing duties and the guy that mostly loves to play/run Pathfinder runs like this. Passing over Rise of the Runelords to Reign of Winter, there's a similar fight where a bunch of similar stuff goes down: during a big blizzard an atomie Winter oracle hides in the snow so the PCs can't see him and just blasts you over and over. Atomies have like +16 to hide before rolling, DR 5/cold iron, and all of this at 2nd level. And this guy is like a 5th level cleric. They can also Shrink Person and do some other stuff. Atomies bother you right from the beginning, so we knew we couldn't win.

Eventually when it got to our turns we said, "Welp. Guess we all just leave. gently caress this adventure. We'll go to Qadira or something." "What?!" "Well, we obviously can't win. This guy's hiding in snow that we can't see past 5 feet in. We can barely hurt him when we do hit him. And every time we get him down halfway he flies off at his fly speed of 70 or whatever and disappears, and heals, and comes back. It's boring." We thought the point was made and he sort of made it a slight bit easier and we 'won' and continued. But no, that's how the whole second book is, too. I understand that it's enemies playing 'smart,' but it's just boring as poo poo to play against. Book 2 had a quickling rogue who auto-sneak attacks for something like 5d6 every round while using Spring Attack to move 120 in, stab, and move 120 feet out. Fun! I guess.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Also, pretty sure that Shillelagh doesn't work on great clubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I saw a trait somewhere that gives +1 to hit when wielding a poisoned weapon and now I can't find it. Any one know what it's called or where it is?