Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tolan posted:

Any interest in a maptools PFRPG game?

I'd be keen, timing dependant (I live in New Zealand, but have a weird sleep schedule)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm a fan of limiting casting classes by giving the PCs goals that need to be accomplished in a limited time frame. Things like 'the kings son has been kidnapped, save him'. If they gently caress around too long, they will fail, the prince will be dead.
Gives the game a fun urgency aswell.
Of course, fighter types still have to resource manage hitpoints, which often comes back to divine casters spells /day, but that's what wands of cure light wounds are for.
But without spending a poo poo ton of gold (another resource), casters only have a few high level spells to use for the quest. This can be a fair bit of planning to get the right amount of stuff to do vs. spells per day, but you can always add or subtract later encounters if you screwed up.

This is the balance that always gets overlooked in 3.5. Sure, your wizard isn't gonna die (teleport), but as long as you're not doing some cheesy dungeon crawl, he has limitations. Sure, he's still more powerful than Fights McGee, but the bard or rogue who can find out where the prince is held captive with a Gather Information check just saved the wizard from casting scry, which is another spell to cast later that day.
An example of an adventure set up like this (I've just flicked through it at some one on here's recomendation) is Paizo's Conquest of Bloodsworn Vale, where the PCs have a limited time frame to acheive their goals, or atleast get rewarded for achieving them quicker.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When I DM, I try and make the setting as sandbox-y as possible, because that's something my players like. Hell, in my most recent game, one of them had full ranks in a craft skill. If they choose to spend weeks loving around, there enemies aren't gonna do the same. The only railroad is the one they get themselves on. gently caress off big bad X, and big bad X will coming looking for you. It'll take him a week to get his poo poo together, so if you spend that week clearing out a dungeon one room a day, you may be underprepared.
But yeah, even in the cheesesiest dungeon delve, PCs generally have two viable options until the dungeon is pretty much empty, press on or camp somewhere far away.
Heres a better example of a time limited adventure: Gain access to the diplomatic function and prevent the treaty from being signed. Players have one night only and can adopt a wide range of methods. Rescue the prince was just an off the cuff example.

Edit: So I was flicking through the Legacy of Fire AP, and I found this:

Solifugid: These long-legged, desert-dwelling arachnids are the focus of all manner of fallacious rumors regarding their deadliness. A master with a solifugid familiar gains a +3
bonus on Bluf checks. Solifugids have the same statistics as tiny spiders with no poison (see page 288 of the MM).

Yes, you can have a camel spider familiar.

Vaginal Vagrant fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 25, 2010