Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Piell posted:

Nah it's DC 31 (11th caster level for Antimagic Field + 20 base DC for a scroll).

Yeah, the requirement for casting from scrolls is caster level, not spell level. You'd need 31 on your check to emulate int 16 anyway though, unless that has been changed for pathfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tolan posted:

Maybe? I don't know what Mikan uses as his criteria for "two-dimensional thieves and con-artists"; the stuff I quoted, at least, provides a view that's not all thieves and con-artists.

So instead I'm providing some background for him to make up his own mind, and maybe stimulate some discussion.

it's still really awful and racist though

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

counterspin posted:

This is exactly the sort of infuriating poo poo I hate. She can get away with being a special snowflake and choosing whatever strikes her fancy because she has chosen a class where she can easily out pace you without paying any attention to the way she builds her character.

Additionally, why does it matter what another player thinks? What does the GM think? Or am I just getting confused with the reuse of the pronoun "she" here?

Well, from the description of their playstyles he gave it sounds like the people playing good classes are really bad, so that might balance it a bit. :v:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

You just need a better DM. If people want to make combat light characters it's probably not a good idea to run a combat heavy game (I'm not really familiar with Rise of the Runelords). When I GM I make sure to tell the players "this game will be combat heavy" or "this game will be mostly intrigue" or "make sure your characters are willing to do X" to make sure that this disconnect doesn't occur. And I hate to get into an argument about these kind of details, but if you told me that your character was a carpenter I would make you take at least couple points in Craft: Carpentry. It would be like saying that a character was a cat burglar but not taking stealth or climb.

So what you're saying is you would punish players for saying their character used to be a carpenter? This right here is a good example of why having things like "craft: carpentry" which cost skill points is a bad idea.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

I don't see how that would be punishment, all it takes is a couple points. I'd even make sure to give them opportunities to use it so they don't feel like they "wasted" it.

If you can't see how having to spend skill points on carpentry instead of, like, any other skill is a penalty then I don't even know

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

blakout posted:

I'm playing Pathfinder despite my 4.0 protests in my college gamers guild cause it was either that or Shadowrun again. As per usual no one wanted to be the Cleric so it falls to me. I need some assistance in optimization needs to be a dwarf though for the story I wanna tell.

What, just being a cleric isn't broken enough for you?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Kvantum posted:

No, he means casting spells like Enlarge Person, Haste, and other buff spells, not just blowing stuff up.

Wizard in melee = dead Wizard, pretty much. Run away, help the meat shields/tanks/Fighter-types do their jobs better, and once you safely get out of range of the enemies' direct attacks, THEN start casting Magic Missile, Scorching Ray, Fireball, and whatnot.

or, you know, just use some of your many spells that instantly kill or incapacitate enemies on a failed saving throw

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

^^^^^
Talking about low-level wizards. They really don't have too many save or suck spells early on.

sleep is a first-level spell

and you are allowed to use multiple quote tags in one post, knock off the obnoxious arrows okay

Karandras posted:

Sleep, Colour Spray and arguably Cause Fear?

edit: oh you probably meant the number they can cast per day. It is four level one spells as a totally min-maxed Pathfinder level 1 wizard, right?
that doesn't make any sense though, because I was replying to a guy who was talking about which spells you should cast, not what you should do when you run out of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

My group has come to the conclusion that this is more than a little broken, if only for the fact that sorcerers by nature are supposed to have a limited list of spells. It is very cool though.

Sorcerers (and wizards moreso) are already broken in half by virtue of being spellcasters, I don't see how you could be okay with that but not okay with sorcerers getting some low-level memorisation slots