Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat
So someone asked me about Pathfinder's Summoner ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/summoner and http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/olderProducts/advancedPlayersGuidePlaytest/round2/uPDATESummoner ) for the ~3.5 game I'm going to be running.

My acid test for custom classes is to compare them to the Wizard class and the Warlock class, to see where between the two they fall, with my instinct being to favour classes that tend toward the Warlock end of the scale. To me, this looks as good as a Wizard (especially given the tremendous number of utility and buff spells), and definitely way better than a Warlock.

My first impression and instinct is that this is overpowered. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat
It'll be poo poo advice on game balance from people who don't understand the concept, and then maybe a tonne of semi-decent arbitration and storytelling advice to make it work.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat

Kvantum posted:

They understand it, they just don't care about it as much as WotC.

Without getting into yet another loving argument that'll derail the thread, I seriously disagree, for copious reasons given.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat
Pretty sure that's the number of different cantrips they can prepare to use in a given day.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat
There's material for balancing Noble Drow in the 3.5 Faerun books, and also in the "Drow of the Underdark" book.

I seem to remember that it handled Noble Drow as being ordinary Drow, except they have to take certain feats to have the special Noble Drow abilities.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat

Gr3y posted:

The thing is, even is you strip out the Cleric levels and their spells you still have a solid list of utility spells. I like the idea of feat taxing but that will probably cause a poo poo storm as we would be inventing custom feats just to keep those two in line.

Hey. I told you, go read the Faerun books, they've already been written.

Races of Faerun, Pg. 164 posted:

Highborn Drow [General]
You have learned to tape into the advanced magical abilities of your drow noble heritage.
Prerequisites: Drow, base Will save +2
Benefit: You may use detect good, detect magic and levitate once per day as spell-like abilities with a caster level equal to your character level.

Edit: also check out Drow of the Underdark. It's a standalone book for D&D 3.5 that has nothing to do with Faerun and gives tonnes of stuff for playing Drow.

Etherwind fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat
Save or Suck spells.