Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Speaking of, how do everyone's table handle leveling up mid-dungeon? As far as I can tell, by RAW your max hp increases but not your current HP, and you get new spell slots if you are a spontaneous caster but you don't prepare any new spells if you are a prepared caster because you don't make your daily preparations. Is that accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Has anyone here given the oracle a try? How does it play in practice, now that the APG has been out for a few months?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The second round of 2e Errata is out. Biggest changes IMO are alchemist buffs and adding a held / worn / stowed system for carrying items.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It feels like if PF2 wants to keep a distinction between positive/negative healing/damage, then the rules should be:

• By default, creatures are immune to positive damage and negative healing.
  • Creatures with Negative Healing are immune to negative damage and positive healing, and are not immune to positive damange and negative healing.
  • Heal does equal amounts of positive damage and positive healing.
  • Harm does equal amounts of negative damage and negative healing.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

My group just had our first combat-heavy PF2 adventure today. I put together a Nutcracker-themed Christmas adventure, and it was a blast. I was blown away by how deadly combat is, though. Maybe this is just that my players are relatively inexperienced, but we had 3 or 4 players get knocked down over the course of our two encounters (1 medium and 1 severe). It definitely adds a lot of tension to combat, which is a fun change from the usually-safe-ish combat of 5e.

Quick question: in PF2, do you need the Magical Crafting feat to transfer a rune from one weapon to another? It's a little unclear, since it doesn't feel like you are really crafting a magical item, but also you are using crafting and runes are magical.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Players can turn a torch on/off with a click, you can apply monochromatic colors to the vision of tokens that have night vision if they're in the dark

Wait, how do you do those things? Are these a module?

The PF2 Foundry has so many features, but the discoverability isn't great IMO. My players are six or seven sessions in and we are still finding new features fairly regularly.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Troubles in Otari is the natural follow up to the beginners box, it takes place in the same town and is a direct continuation from the beginner box adventure "Menace under Otari." I'm running the Abomination Vaults AP in combination with those two to give the PCs more options and ways to get to know people in town, which is working pretty well so far.

I've read that Fall of Plaguestone is a bit of a rough adventure, but I haven't actually run it. I feel like Paizo is pushing hard to make Otari and the Abomination Vaults be the PF2e equivalent of Sandpoint/Rise of the Runelords. The last book of AV isn't out yet, but the first two are pretty good and I think it's the best way to get started with PF2e right now.

How are you handling leveling, here? I thought the Abomination Vaults AP started at level 1, but doesn't Menace Under Otari end with the characters leveling up to 2?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

I use Tokenizer which is an addon that does most of that workflow directly in Foundry. You still have to find external graphics from AoN, a PDF or somesuch. Tokenizer can add a border and mask plus do basic pan, zoom, crop. It's a little unintuitive but more convenient than any of the external token tools that I tried.

[E] Looks like this in action:

In this case I got the base images from the free Little Trouble in Big Absalom PDF which I was Foundry-izing. By default Tokenizer uses that red border for NPCs like the creepy doll, and white for PCs like Grimnir above, but you can change them. The base image can be taken from the Foundry server, a local file or a random URL.

Has tokenizer been broken for you lately? For the past couple months, mine has been throwing javascript errors when it tries to bring up the avatar importer. This issue persisted through an uninstall / reinstall.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What's the thread opinion on the 2e alchemist after the APG + errata? I know the general consensus on release was that they were a bit lacking at first compared with other classes. To what degree is that still the case?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Roadie posted:

My fourth level wizard went down to the third level of the dungeon to kill a fifth level monster using second level spells, with the aid of a tenth level item to deal with the differences between monster level and spell level and to help with penalties from the floor not being level.

This joke is next-level

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Just about to make the jump into Pathfinder. Got the beginner box and am getting ready to try it? Anyone have any good cheat sheets for players?

I mainly use the actions cheat sheet from this reddit post. It helps me remember what all I can do on my turn to keep it more interesting (and effective) than move -> attack -> attack.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xalidur posted:

Thanks for the posting, all. I am fully convinced that free archetype won't be too pigeonholing. Swashbuckler PC wants to be an extremely gay pirate who does lots of flips and swinging from ropes, so maybe that Acrobat suggestion is a good one for her to check out...

Boy do I have the archetype for you!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I have two games of PF2e going, both in homebrew worlds, and I am a player in one and a GM in the other.

In both, we use the Free Archetype variant rule. In the game where I am the GM, I waive the requirement of taking two additional archetype feats before selecting a new archetype, but the players have to justify to me how their PC has been training in-game in a way that would open a new archetype to them before taking it. Occasionally I'll allow players to immediately retrain into a new archetype in extraordinary circumstances — for example, when my cleric got a blessing from an angel of their deity, I allowed them to immediately retrain into the Blessed One archetype.

In the campaign where I am a player, we use accelerated downtime activities (especially crafting and retraining), due to in-game time pressure leading to a lack of downtime.

In the campaign where I am the GM, we are coming up on an end to a "chapter" of the story, and for the next chapter I will ask my players how they feel about switching to the Moral Intentions variant rule, since I think it fits better with the setting and characters than the traditional alignment system.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Most of the monster pictures are on 2e.aonprd.com as well. They even have transparent backgrounds already, which is useful if you want to change the monster backgrounds with a module like Tokenizer, or if you want to just place them directly on the map without them looking too janky.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Working on a new OP since the current one is mainly pf1 focused. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to hear them!

Awesome! IMO make sure to mention:

• Archives of Nethys
  • Options for playing online (especially Foundry)
  • The Guide to Guides posted above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

Also, yeah, plan your character out in Pathbuilder:

https://pathbuilder2e.com/

Pathbuilder should also definitely be in the new OP.

Also, there should probably be a blurb explaining the structure of adventure paths, since my understanding is that it's a little different from 5e.