Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Ulta posted:

Are there any prestige classes out there that let me grow wings out my back? Or will I have to wait till epic level?

From 3.5 material:

Rainbow servant (Complete Divine, arcane caster prestige class) gets you class level/minutes flight a day with pretty pretty rainbow wings.

Enlightened Spirit (Warlock prestige class from Complete Mage) gets you a nifty set of celestial wings. Warlock itself (Complete Arcane, base class) can get fell flight at level 5 as well, which lets you zip around on a pair of shadowy wings. At higher levels of pure warlock, you can turn into a cloud of bats Dracula style.

Favoured Soul (Complete Divine, base class) grows wings at level 17 based on alignment. Feathered wings for good guys, demonic bat wings for the baddies. Possibly a bit too late in level progression for your tastes, and not an actual PrC, but if you want to do the whole divine vengeance bit, it's pretty good.

If you're a non caster... Well, wings of flying are only 54,000 GP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Father Wendigo posted:

Are you talking about the official 3.5 core books, or OGL books? Ten is okay (you might want to go a little lower to sell faster) for stuff like Player's/GM's Handbook. OGL stuff is a crapshoot that depends on the interest of the buyer.

Ten bucks for the 3.5 PHB? I'd buy that in a heartbeat, it's going for £35 on Amazon.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

glitchwraith posted:

Wow. I might raise the price of the three core books then, though definitely not that high. It is a used book, after all. I am a bit confused why Amazon.co.uk is charging so much more for it. Amazon.com has it selling brand new for only $54.

Chalk it down to UK/US pricing differences. Most of the time the price over here is the same as the US, just with the dollar sign replaced with a pound sign. Possibly there's greater demand for it on our side of the pond as well? Different gaming styles prevail and all that.

Or maybe it's just price gouging, I don't know.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

metachronos posted:

I'm making a Druid for a friends game(Kingmaker) that's starting soon. Never done that before. How do I make a good one?

Depends on what you want the druid to do. They aren't quite the unstoppable superhuman do-everything murder factories they were in 3.5, but they're still bloody flexible and can do whatever they set their mind to very well. Here's some more general advice.

Nature Bond: If you plan to prestige class out or want a more spell-y druid, pick up the domain casting. If you want to stay pure druid or fancy being a bit more combat oriented, go for the animal companion. My gnome druid is rocking up a wolf in the Rise of the Runelords, and it serves as a combat character and mount all at once.

Spells: Druids get a pretty adaptable spell list, with some healing, buffs, direct damage, utility spells in there as well... It can be hard to know what to pick. At lower levels, packing in some extra healing is always appreciated, and I've yet to encounter anyone who doesn't appreciate a Bulls Strength slapped down on the Paladin. Have your friend play about a bit and see what works for them spell wise.

Wild Shape: With natural spell, you can stay in an elemental form all day long past 8th level with no actual downsides! Given the bonuses that changing into, say, a hawk or air elemental gives you, why wouldn't you? If you want to do some melee then turn into a wolf or bear. Dire Lion past level 8 is very nasty for combat purposes.

Feats: Natural spell is so much of a no brainer here that you might want to not take it so that you don't show up the rest of the party. Apart from that, just take feats that support one of the two basic druid roles (Caster or combat) and you should be golden.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Swags posted:

Kind of want to make Astaroth, from Soul Calibur. My idea is to use the Dungeon Crusher build out of Dungeonscape, along with a lot of the tripping/throwing feats/powers from Tome of Battle. Any way to do this properly with 1) with an axe and 2) without completely screwing myself?

This is perfectly workable. Dungeoncrasher is a great fighter variant, dropping out at 6th into a Tome of Battle class will leave you in pretty good stead. The main bullrushing powers are in Setting Sun, which by default only swordsages can access. You can take feats (Martial Training) to add up to three Setting Sun manoeuvres to your list in other classes though, and three moves will give you a fair variety of ways to bullrush and throw people about. Pure swordsage would work too though, and if you use the discipline focus things on Stone Dragon then with your fighter feats you'll be racking up huge greataxe bonuses.

You might also want to look at being a Goliath, from Races of Stone. They get bonuses to strength and con, and Powerful Build which lets them count as large for a lot of purposes, including using weapons and bull rush attempts. They are a +1LA, but that matters less on a melee class than it does on a caster, especially with Tome of Battle.

In no time you'll be wandering around getting plus a million to your magical axe based judo that lets you throw people into walls and breathe fire.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Swags posted:

I know this is likely impossible, but is there any way to get a warforged with powerful build? This is just based on the character, but Astaroth is a golem-thing, but a human thing, and I kind of want to make it like that. Possible?

There an item in the magic item compendium that gives you the trait... Strongarm Bracers I think.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

pawsplay posted:

I've read the Armor as DR variant rules from UC twice now. There are no really good defense boosts built into the system. You get 10 + Dex + your armor's plusses, a shield bonus, and that's basically it. I just don't see how that's going to work. Slug, slug, slug. And monks? sigh

We used a similar system in a pathfinder game I played in, only armour added its normal AC bonus (including plusses) as DR, while your AC was increased by your base attack. We found it working a lot better than the regular system

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Tactical Bonnet posted:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/bladebound

I'll cop to the budgeting error on my part, because the keen would raise the cost to that of +2. However, the bladebound class feature sword actually becomes a +1 sword at character level 3, so it would be perfectly within the rules to make it a keen weapon(since the magus in question is level 4, wielding a +1 Bastard Sword).

I'd talk over with your GM about whether or not he'd let you enhance your sword further. On the one hand I'm not seeing anything that says you can't, but it's not discussed at all and its ego score is set in stone as it gains abilities, while additional enhancements would mess with that. If your DM is allowing further enchantments, great, but make sure.

As for what to spend your cash on, grab some armour boosting items, any two of of ring of protection, straight up magic armour and/or an amulet of natural armour at +1 apiece will cost you 4000 for +2 AC, a very nice deal indeed. This leaves you 700 for miscellaneous potions and scrolls to round out your belt. Alternatively that 4000 could go towards a headband of intellect, or a +1 to AC, a level 1 pearl of power and a +1 cloak of resistance. If I were you I'd go for an amulet of natural armour +1, a cloak of resistance +1 and the pearl of power, then grab a few potions and scrolls. It's boring but very functional.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Transient People posted:

Ego, yes, but my complaint isn't Ego but the whole "the item always, always sees you as an insect regardless of alignment" thing. Isn't that more recent?

Nope, intelligent items have always been utter dicks. See here (scroll down).

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
I'm going to be playing in an Infernum game converted to Pathfinder soon. Infernum, for those of you who are unaware, is a 3e third party campaign setting playing demons in hell. Character creation I am loving so far, due to the fact that it totally abandons any pretense of balance and lets you go balls out insane in your character choices. My character is a colossal sized walking cathedral, and I want to maximize the benefits I get from this. Currently I have two attack modes:

Vital strike with an earthbreaker for 20d6 + mods a swing.
Fire all the machine guns mounted in my battlements, to saturate 8 10x10 foot squares with bullets for 4d8 damage.

I'd seem to have single target and area damage pretty much down, is there anything else I can do to improve my damage output drastically? I get rage due to my demon breed, and can snag rage powers with feats, any ones of those worth picking up? I can also grab other first level class features with feats, and getting Judgement from Inquisitor seems like it'd be useful, and flavourful for a Bishop. Obviously I'll be picking up improved/greater vital strike once I meet the BAB prerequisites.

I also have a claw/claw/bite natural attack routine, just in case multiattacking with that would outshine the earthbreaker. PF/Infernum feats and stuff only, no third party or 3.5/3.0 things.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Colossal size does jack my strength up through the roof, however it also tanks my accuracy due to size modifiers. My attack modifier with the earthbreaker is currently +10, which would leave my iterative at +5. At level 9 that's not going to be hitting very much I think.

I do not qualify for deadly aim due to being a fumble fingered giant. The machine guns have me making an attack roll to set a reflex DC that the enemy then have to beat. Good for clearing out minions, not much else.

The intimidate thing is worth considering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Yeah, that's the boy.

I think I may have to drop the hammer and just grab dudes, +10 to hit with a weapon as opposed to +26 grappling is too big of a gap to ignore. PATHFINDER!