Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'd recommend some alternate classes that can have a paladin feel (in terms of godliness/feeling righteous) without being as restricted to LG, but it sounds like the issue is more that he's randomly murdering people, not just that he's a paladin while doing so. This isn't really a grey area, at all, regarding paladin behavior. People can argue up and down about certain actions, but randomly murdering people is not good, it's not lawful, and it's more than enough to fall.

How many people has he killed? Are they completely random killings? Why hasn't he been arrested/killed already? How does the rest of the party feel about it, both OOC and IC?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cease to Hope posted:

whether it's paladin-y or not is the least important question. trying to use "I will take your character sheet away" as leverage is only going to make things more contentious and harder to resolve.
Ignore the part of the post about paladins, then. It's still not lawful, and it's still not good. Why are there no in-game consequences for murder? Is he killing lone hobos in the woods, or killing people in the town square? If he's willing to just randomly kill people, I doubt he's going to be worried about ghosts. If the DM and the other players don't want the game to be full of random murders, everyone needs to be on the same page.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

JackMann posted:

I think the thing that the rest of us are saying is that Midig shouldn't be trying to deal with it in character, but should instead sit the player down and talk to them. When expectations are this mismatched, trying to deal with it in character is just going to be an exercise in frustration for everyone, and will almost certainly not deal with the real issue.
I agree that it should be dealt with out of character, but I'm curious how it got this far. I'm not recommending just saying "you fall," as it doesn't sound like the expectations were set about how a paladin (or a good character in general) should behave. If I murdered the next five people I saw in my campaign, I'd likely either be dead, in jail, or on the run by the end of the session. It's why I asked how the rest of the party felt about it, IC and OOC.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How have the other players reacted, IC and OOC, to the serial killer paladin? Are they enjoying the murderous romp through the woods, or...?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 20, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I want to try the conversion inquisition for inquisitors, since it lets you dump charisma without nuking every social skill. You'll have trouble with UMD, but you'll sail by bluff/intimidate/diplomacy on your wisdom score, doubly so because they're all class skills, triply so for intimidate with the class bonus.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cease to Hope posted:

it's so hard to justify +4ish to three skills that are mostly redundant with each other when the alternative is a domain like Animal or Liberation or Travel or Trade or Luck or Archon or Good...

there are so many good domains in PF that it's hard to justify the relatively tame and situational Inquisitions
Yeah, the tradeoff is big. I'm just kind of enamored with the idea of hard dumping a stat and not being directly penalized, which is usually a luxury left for full casters.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Long-running question about cover:

quote:

To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target's square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

When making a melee attack against an adjacent target, your target has cover if any line from any corner of your square to the target's square goes through a wall (including a low wall). When making a melee attack against a target that isn't adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks.
For a melee attack, it's obvious that you have to use the least favorable result. If X is attacking Y and Os are walls:
pre:
  Y
 XOO
  O
A line from the bottom-right of X's square passes through a wall, so Y has cover.

For a ranged attack,
  • Do you get to pick the corner that's most favorable to you?
  • Does a line running along a border count as passing through a border?
In that same scenario, can X (using Point-Blank Master I guess) attack Y without being penalized by cover by choosing the top-left corner?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do people decide when to go full caster vs. partial caster? I'm looking at rolling some backup characters for if my current character dies, and I haven't played enough characters to really draw the line. Sorcerers, wizards, and arcanists should probably be full caster unless you're doing a really exotic build. Paladins and rangers don't have the spellpower to back up even a proper partial caster; their spells are more like gravy. Warpriests, inquisitors, hunters, bards, druids, clerics, and oracles are a bit more flexible, though some are more flexible.

Say I was looking at a human Planar Oracle with the Wind revelation and the haunted curse. By making the most of the FCB, by level 6 I could know 9 cantrips, 5-7 1sts, 6 2nds, and 2 3rds, with a large casting pool per day. Would I regret dropping strength and just avoiding direct combat altogether?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 17, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
BFC, buffs, and debuffs. Oracles don't seem to be well suited for blasting except for a couple of mysteries, and I wouldn't be taking flame unless the druid also died, since his character has A Thing about fire. My reservations with a halfcaster is that right now I've got a whopping 13 strength, making it harder to hit and not doing much when I do. Maybe it's in part because our combats are so short that if I spend the first round or two popping a Divine Favor and a Prayer, we're almost in mop-up mode already.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cease to Hope posted:

don't drop casting if you're already a nine-level caster, especially one whose non-casting gimmicks are as mediocre as the oracle's
To be clear I mean the difference between a 7 12 14 12 12 19 stat spread and 14 12 12 10 8 19 or something. Starting with an 18-19 in [casting stat] regardless, just choosing between having enough strength to punch a wall and having weak noodly arms but a bit smarter and wiser.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah Oracles can do drat near anything, it's just that they broadly choose what they want to do as they level rather then on the fly at any point in time. Less versatile then a cleric, but typically better at whatever schtick they choose. An oracle specced for melee combat will be far better then a cleric who did likewise (and of course will be LEAGUES better then a fighter).

As for a buffer/debuffer/controller, Wind works perfectly fine. It's more of a debuffer + blaster then buffer, mind you, but it's still fine. The bigger question is regarding Planar Oracle. If it's not for fluff reasons, and the game isn't really about the Outer Planes, I generally wouldn't recommend it.
Yeah, Planar Oracle would be mostly for fluff reasons. It's not a particularly superpowered campaign, so there'd be some leeway to have a less versatile spell list and a fairly mediocre level 3 revelation. I mostly mentioned that pair because it's in a grey area for me--a Flame Oracle I'd play as a full caster, a Metal Oracle I'd play as a bruiser, but those middle ground ones are harder for me to figure out where to take them.

Pyronic posted:

Our reward was a harrow deck of many things.
yikes

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm having trouble picking feats on my CG Cleric of Desna (Fate, Travel). I'd go all-in on summoning if we didn't have a druid who was excited about summons, but I don't want to be dragging down combat with two characters summoning monsters. I've taken Spell Focus (Conjuration) and Augment Summoning, since if I ever want to summon, I'd regret not having them. There's Summon Good Monster [CoP], Superior Summoning [UM], and Sacred Summons [UM] as ones I'm eyeing. Summon Good Monster opens up some options and adds a chunk of survivability, but doesn't really look groundbreaking. Sacred Summons is pretty weak, and even with Summon Good Monster and the expanded summons for Desna you have slim pickings for CG summons, and zero options at SM I and VIII. Augment Summoning is an incremental improvement, and I can't see any particularly exciting ways to use it (other than summoning a lot of Bralani Azatas for an ion cannon).

With that in mind, I'm looking at metamagic feats, since nothing else has grabbed my attention. I'm doing a mix of melee and spellcasting, with more investment on spells. I could go for Warrior Priest/Combat Casting, or dip into Extend/Persistent/etc. Spell. Divine Interference [UM] looks good (and matches the flavor of my character), but that has to wait until level 11. Maybe Quick Draw for rods, but I don't know how many rods I'll end up having access to.

Any particular feats of great value (or great fluff) to a mostly-spellcasting somewhat-melee Cleric of Desna, domains Travel and Fate (with an inclination towards the Travel spells, mobility, and teleporting/planar travel in genreal), no archetype, current itemless stat spread 13 12 14 10 19 10, flavor of a mostly standard Cleric of Desna hailing from Taldor with a noble background (semi-estranged family)?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 24, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

kirtar posted:

Being able to summon in a standard action instead of 1 round cast is pretty important if you're summoning in combat.
It's limited in coverage, especially for a CG deity. 3 monsters on the default list, 3 monsters on an AP deity-specific list, and ~7 more from a PC feat (which I may not be able to take). While it's strong where it's applicable, it's narrow enough that since I'm not planning to go super heavy on summons, I'm not sure it's worth the feat slot.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 24, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Leraika posted:

Was literally just about to suggest that myself. Empiricist Investigator is probably the best skill monkey in the game.

If you want to go turbo religion still and it fits your character and the game's setting, I'd suggest looking into Irori's Deific Obedience feat, which will give you a tasty +4 to all knowledge checks in exchange for performing a devotion to Irori every day.
She has a pretty easy obedience, too. You just need to carry around some books and...hair.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there a particular book or resource that has a good breakdown of various planes? I haven't really found much beyond the high-level descriptions of the major planes.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Andrast posted:

I know like 20 people who play/have played PFS and none of them have ever owned a single pathfinder book (or pdf)
They don't even have a core rulebook?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Andrast posted:

Nope. I have never owned a single Paizo product either.

I mean, why would you need the core rulebook when all of the rules are available for free on the internet and with a better search?
I prefer the physical books both because of the feel (maybe I'm a luddite, whenever I'm home for a holiday the rest of my family all have Kindles) and because I find that at least in my group, people get distracted and start faffing about if they're using cell phones/laptops. The one person in my group who owns no books consistently goes "huh?" a dozen times per session because he was doing something on his laptop that wasn't related, and a couple of other people will get distracted, albeit not as often.

So I'd say that personally I prefer the tactile feel of books while playing (but often prefer the SRD when theorycrafting), and don't necessarily trust other people to not get distracted. Maybe I've just been biased by the people I've played with.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 11, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm trying to price out boots that would have a continuous Marching Chant style effect, letting you hustle indefinitely without accruing damage. I'm not looking to create a command word (2x3x1800 = 10800gp) or daily charge item (2160-8640gp), since I both don't want to hum while I hustle and like the fluff of the boots just having an innate power to let you roam. It wouldn't be a particularly powerful item, especially since I already walk faster than most of my party hustles, and I'd mostly be getting it for flavor reasons and amusement.

Since it wouldn't be a direct conversion, it'd need to be a sort of flavor-style pricing, kind of like how Boots of the Cat use Featherfall in the creation but don't provide a Featherfall effect. There's also the additional wrinkles that Marching Chant has no clear price as a continuous effect, and I'd be reducing the effect to be a single character, rather than the normal AoE. So unless someone knows of an item that actually does this (or a similar effect), anyone know of any examples of pricing wondrous items that:
  • Use a duration: concentration spell as the basis for a continuous effect
  • Change a generally AoE spell/buff to only affecting the bearer of the magic item
  • Generally convert a spell into a flavorful effect

e: I found Tireless Tracking Hide which has a hustle-doesn't-hurt effect, which is limited to 8 hours/day, and is priced at 10,000gp, which seems...excessive. For 16,200gp you can get once-a-day Overland Flight for nine hours, or once-a-day teleport.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 23, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I've already talked to my DM about the fact that there isn't a clear precedent for such an effect transfer, and I had looked for a similar magic item for the reasons you quoted. The only item I can find that's even vaguely a concentration spell turned into a continuous one is the Lantern of Auras, but it's too different to figure out a consistent pricing. Marching Chant is explicitly easy to maintain (given that you can hum it while marching), so I wouldn't consider it minutes per level, if I was going to consider different concentration spells at different effective durations.

Once I found the armor, I mostly lost interest. The effect is being priced at 10,000gp (+1 hide armor is only 1165gp, as +1 on armor is only 1000gp), and 10,000gp is more than I'd be willing to spend on such an effect. At that price I'm better off saving my money; I'd hoped I could find something with a small pricetag to match the tiny benefit it would give me.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 23, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Olesh posted:

Ah, yep, that's what I get for not doublechecking the math.

FWIW, 10k seems about right for an effect that doubles your overland movement speed when measured day by day. Normally, you can't maintain a hustle for more than an hour (which requires you to then spend an hour resting), and by the core rules alternating periods of hustle/rest/hustle/rest works out to the normal daily movement rate at a walk.

Just because the item has no particular benefit to you in your circumstance doesn't really change the pricing model, and the GM is cautioned against discounting items based on their perceived usefulness. My players, for example, would see tremendous value in an item that allowed them to double their overland movement speed, but they also are playing a party without an arcane spellcaster and thus lack ready access to spells like Overland Flight or Teleport on a day-to-day basis. A 40,000 GP expenditure (10k x4) to double the party's movement speed on the overland map would allow them to cover much more ground than they would otherwise ordinarily be capable of.
Yeah, it's logical to not drastically change costs to suit the situation, I'm just in kind of a weird situation, speedwise. My movespeed is 50' with Longstrider active, and a bunch of people in my party have a 20' move speed, so I can already walk faster than they can hustle. For me it would just be a flavorful item, since I'm a cleric of Desna, leaning hard on the whole travel thing.

For a party, a command word Marching Chant that could affect four people would only be 14,400gp (SL2 x CL4 x 1800gp), with the downsides of being less stealthy and needing to stay clustered up, but the upside of being able to use it an effectively infinite amount of time.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The magic item pricing rules for pathfinder are quite simple:

1. Determine a reasonable price for the effect.
2. Quintuple it.
3. Sigh.
4. Upgrade your Cloak of Resistance instead.
I'm planning to make some Boots of the Cat (treat all dice rolled for falling damage as if they were 1s, always stay on your feet after falling), a Quick Runner's Shirt (once per day as a swift action, take a move action then end your turn), and some Gloves of Reconnaissance (for ten rounds per day, doesn't have to be consecutive, see through up to 15' of material as clairaudience/clairvoyance), which is a total of 4000gp worth of items for some fun tricks, so there're definitely some fun ones out there. They're just in between a lot of really expensive ones.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 23, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Arivia posted:

Keep in mind the Quick Runner's Shirt was nerfed in the errata for the second printing of Ultimate Equipment.
Yeah, I saw that. It's a shame, but for 500gp it's a solid enough effect until I find something really enticing to fill my chest slot.

e: When I get enough money I might add Greater Longstrider onto my boots for a solid 3x5x2000 = 30,000gp base price just for a little more fast, because it turns out that other than the cleric's travel domain, oracle's flame revelation nimble steps, barbarian's fast movement, the fleet feat, and haste, there are no non-enhancement bonuses to speed that I can find. And I'm not about to take a class dip or a feat for a bit more speed.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 23, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Pathfinder removes some of the more insane stuff in 3.5, which can be a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for. I've never played 3.5, so I can't go into that much more detail, but there's less semi-official content that has really out there interactions. Pathfinder has a ton of tweaks on 3.5 without changing anything super core, even though it does touch some fundamental things like XP gain, feat progression, etc. This post has a good breakdown of some differences, but it's probably going to be too specific if you don't have background in either 3.5 or PF.

Personally, I've never played 3.5, but from my time spent online reading about both (discussion can overlap on some boards), I think I'd prefer Pathfinder. I do really enjoy PF, but the only other systems I've played are 4e (bad) and Exalted (totally different).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do people handle crafting? I just took Craft Wondrous Item, and the implications of how it works with WBL are odd. The RAW rules I've found are just this section: "However, game balance for the default campaign experience expects you and all other PCs to be close to the listed wealth values, so the GM shouldn't just let you craft double the normal amount of gear. As a guideline, allowing a crafting PC to exceed the Character Wealth by Level guidelines by about 25% is fair, or even up to 50% if the PC has multiple crafting feats." If I were to just craft items for myself, I could be expected to have (at level 6) a total WBL of ~20,000gp, the 16,000gp base with the additional 4,000gp from the crafting pool. Assuming I was precisely at my adjusted WBL, I could have 12,000gp in bought/found items and 8,000gp in crafted items to meet the expected guidelines.

Where it gets hairy is crafting for party members. It later goes on to say that if you craft items for your party members, that saving in WBL is drawn from your increase pool. Selfishness aside (i.e. I don't want to be gifting what is effectively my gold to party members in excess of what is normally expected), it seems like it gets really clunky for WBL. The concern is moreso at the party level rather than the individual level, so a crafted 8,000gp item is effectively +4,000gp for the party, which is the extent of what a crafting feat should add. Whether another player gets an 8,000gp item for 4,000gp, or I charge them 8,000gp and pocket the 4,000gp, I shouldn't be crafting any more items until that item has left the party (by hook or by crook). As written, it's recommended that at that point I couldn't even craft an otherwise unavailable item at full price.

I do realize that WBL is just a guideline, but I'm already in a large party of six people, and I don't want to make my DMs life more difficult trying to balance an overgeared, underleveled party. How do people handle the crafting of items, both in terms of having it impact WBL and avoiding the awkwardness that comes in from crafting more cheaply for yourself?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jade Mage posted:

Are there rules in Pathfinder for spells and/or other ways of keeping constructs (particularly the sapient ones) in good repair?
Rapid Repair gives a construct fast healing 5 for 1 round/level as a 5th level cleric/sorc/wiz spell. Ultimate Magic also adds rules to Craft Construct to let you repair constructs.

e: They're both bad, and you should use Make Whole as Cease to Hope said below. The non-spell repair rules are 100gp for 1d6 healing, takes 1 day per 10HD, and involves a skill check? A wand has a higher up-front cost, but only costs 30gp for 1d6 healing (4500gp, 90/charge, heals 3d6), isn't time-limited, and doesn't have a skill check.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 27, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Those are good points. My DM and I may not be giving the time requirement enough credit, since we're at a fairly low level. Right now I could give everyone a 25% boost in WBL in 24 days given optimal conditions (crafting full days, able to up the DC), which is quite short, and makes it feel incredibly strong. At level 10, increasing everyone's WBL would take a minimum of 93 days, given those same conditions, up to 2 years if adventuring and unable to up the DC. It's still easy to tack on smaller effects (oh you have boots? they are now boots of the cat.), but if I ever start on a longer project, I'll be locked into it for the duration.

My DM and I are going to go with it as you recommended (don't focus too much on WBL, let the time requirement do its thing) and see how it goes. I'd be happy to hear more opinions on it, though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are the Gloves of Reconnaissance as broken as they seem? It seems like they trivialize a lot of encounters by letting you know what's inside a room without having the risk of opening a door. And at 2000gp, there's really no reason to not have at least one pair in the party. Am I missing something here?

quote:

Each of these fingerless worked leather gloves look as though they have seen heavy use, and often bear the stains or scent of grass or wet mud. On command, the wearer can use the gloves to see and hear though solid material no more than 15 feet thick by placing both hands on that material. The gloves can be used for 10 rounds each day. The rounds need not be consecutive.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Olesh posted:

Yes, as originally listed that were extremely powerful, if niche. Note the language here - you can see and hear through solid material up to 15 feet thick. Based on the text, you can see through a door as if the door wasn't there. If you instead use it on a wall, you can see through the entire wall (or at least the parts that aren't more than 15 feet thick). It's also inexpensive, and if up to 10 uses per day isn't enough for you, you just buy a spare set - 2,000 gp is chump change for such a useful item, even if it's niche is limited to dungeon crawls.

They have since been errata'ed - the gloves must be worn continuously for 24 hours before they can be used, and the gloves can only be used once per day (for up to one minute). Additionally, the maximum thickness of material has been reduced to 5 feet, rather than 15. It's still a powerful and useful item, but only once a day (per party member), limiting the amount of information that can be gleaned.

Arivia posted:

Yeah, the same UE errata went for a much stronger scorpion whip.
"the gloves must be worn continuously for 24 hours before they can be used" ouch
"the maximum thickness of material has been reduced to 5 feet, rather than 15" ouch
"and the gloves can only be used once per day (for up to one minute)" ouch

I can see why they nerfed them, but they eviscerated the poor gloves. Guess I'll bring it up with my DM today.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Arivia posted:

Yeah a once-ever power on an item that isn't completely consumable sounds like bad design to me.
Making the power once-ever in addition to ruining the AC bonus meant that it doesn't even stack with incredibly common AC sources, so there often wouldn't even be a reason to keep it around once you burn the single use. It might as well be a 5000gp consumable.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Play a psychic because they get Explode Head as a fifth level spell, which explodes heads then showers people in skull-shrapnel.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cat Face Joe posted:

criminalize all online discussion of it
Maybe it's because I haven't read much online discussion of other editions but it's impressive how many people in Pathfinder discussions belabor just how bad of a system it is.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 11, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

berenzen posted:

It's generally because with the rise of better games like 13th age, dungeon world and a bunch of other good games, pathfinder kinda looks like a fetid rotting turd that feels like it's twenty years behind the times in terms of game development.
It's tiring to follow a thread for a game I enjoy and have people talk about how it's the worst thing to ever plague the world. I've seen it happen before in various videogame threads but the negativity just makes things so dreary.

How does Slipstream interact with Air Walk? If Air Walk lets "the subject [...] tread on air as if walking on solid ground" and Slipstream "carries the target along the surface of water or the ground" does that allow the wave to go with you? Or does it just follow you around on the actual ground below, allowing you to sort of blorp the water into people?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 12, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Axiem posted:

I love playing in campaigns where the DM band the craft feats. It forces players to actually pick interesting options.
I don't really know if craft wondrous item is less interesting than superior summoning, extend spell, warrior priest, or whatever else I'd've taken at that level. If people are just taking six months in game to upgrade their headband of wisdom +4 to a headband of wisdom +6 then yeah, it's boring, but you can also use it to create more interesting items, either custom or existing ones.

Although I'm sitting on spell focus (conjuration) and augment summoning, having summoned precisely zero creatures by level 7, because someone else is super gungho on summoning and I've avoided it to avoid bogging down combat more than he already does. My DM has offered to let me retroactively swap them out (since I've literally never made use of either feat), but I both don't really know what I'd replace them with, and feel like at some point I may eventually want them. Maybe I'm a bad example of picking interesting feats, since while I've found a lot of feats that interested me in general, I've yet to find any that really enticed me on my current character.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Falling damage from objects is hilariously low in this game. If you fall 100' onto a boulder that's 5' in radius (approximately 80,000lbs), you'll take 10d6 damage. If that same boulder falls on you, you'll take 4d6 damage.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 20, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Orange Devil posted:

And it should've been an exploding +1d6 per 10 feet but it was misunderstood some time many editions ago and never changed since.

So
10ft = 1d6 falling damage
20ft = 1d6 for the first 10ft + 2d6 for the second 10 feet = 3d6 falling damage
30ft = 1d6 for the first 10ft + 2d6 for the second 10 feet + 3d6 for the third 10 feet = 6d6 falling damage

Instead what happened was 1d6 damage per 10 feet fallen, so 30ft = 3d6.
Wouldn't falling damage be based on the velocity at impact? You accelerate less per 10' every 10' since it's a factor of time, and you're spending less time in each 10' block. d = ½at2, v=at, v=(2ad)½, so tossing in 32ft/s, v=(64d)=8d½, so velocity at various points (ignoring drag) would be:
  • 10': 25ft/s
  • 20': 36ft/s
  • 30': 44ft/s
  • 40': 51ft/s
  • 50': 57ft/s
  • 100': 80ft/s
  • 200': 113ft/s
  • 500': 178ft/s
At 40' you've fallen four times as far, but you're only moving twice the speed as falling 10', because you have less time to accelerate in the later feet. I was ignoring drag (because physics was too many years ago), but terminal velocity for a person is ~175ft/s, which you hit after ~5.5s, or roughly a round of freefall. This ends up really clunky if you try to convert it to damage-per-distance due to the square root, but something like 1d6 per 10ft/s would end up with 2d6 at 10', 5d6 at 40', 10d6 at 150', 15d6 at 351', and 20d6 at 500'.

That said, I'd also probably rule that different size categories have different dice, if I was going to massively complicate the falling damage calculation. Fine takes no falling damage, diminutive uses a d1, tiny uses a d3, small uses a d4, medium d6, large d8, huge d8, gargantuan d10, colossal d12. The old "You can drop a mouse down a thousand-yard mine shaft and, on arriving at the bottom, it gets a slight shock and walks away. A rat is killed, a man is broken, a horse splashes."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ash Rose posted:

Isn't a d1 just like... a sphere? you throw a number of spheres and then count how many there are for damage.
Yes it's the best die

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

sugar free jazz posted:

i played 3.5 for a little with some engineers and physics majors who tried to model D&D with real world physics and it was the worst loving poo poo ever
I find it fun to think about but it would result in the most tedious gameplay ever that would be 80% looking things up in tables and plugging things into formulas

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Do confused people people use everything at their disposal to attack an ally? As written it's not clear where people fall on the spectrum of "drop my weapon, fight defensively, attack for 1d3 nonlethal" to "choose the extra attack from Blessing of Fervor, activate power attack, full attack."

It's a compulsion, so I'd assume it's like Murderous Command where you use everything at your disposal.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 27, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Moriatti posted:

Alter Summoned Monster and Mount+metamagic is absolutely ridiculous.
Throw in Communal Mount and get ready for the DM to house rule that Alter Summoned Monster doesn't work on any flavor of Mount. Possibly after or while throwing a pile of books at you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
My party just hit 9, and I feel like we're already at the point where AC gets outpaced by attack rolls. Nobody heavily focused AC, so our highest ACs are ~24-28, depending on buffs, and it feels extremely rare for any enemies to miss. I'm considering ditching my amulet of natural armor and just trying to beef up my saves (amulet of the blooded, destined) because at least I've got a fighting chance on making my saves. Maybe it's just because we're fighting a lot of bruisers, but it doesn't really feel like it's going to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Guess it's time to just ditch my amulet of natural armor, grab a more interesting/useful amulet, and start trying to track down some magical defenses. There's no way I could keep up with 18+level AC with how this game's going. What're some good defensive options available to clerics? Leaning harder on BFC and debuffs? I'm planning to grab Divine Interference as soon as possible, even if it's of limited use if my AC is bad.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 23, 2017