Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Is it possible to have a pathfinder thread that doesn't devolve into horrible bickering?

I want to hear about Golarion or level 20 fighters and their generous fear save bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is also incidentally why I hate optimization talk because it inevitably becomes a pissing match of desperately trying to prove each other wrong.
No kidding.

Elsewhere, the words "monkey grip is a bad feat" pretty much opened a yawning chasm of stupidity that I fell right into.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I never got why trap options were a thing in DnD, Pathfinder and other tabletop games. It's not like the game is competitive or anything. If someone wants to play an option they found in the books, might as well not make them feel horrible for picking that option.

if you ain't better than a newbie, son, who are you better than?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

The secret is that trap options are rarely made intentionally. It is usually instead the result of devs not giving a poo poo about balance rather then them doing it on purpose. That whole "Ivory tower game design" thing Mearls once wrote was absolute horseshit - him running excuses to claim that 3e was totally intended to be so ridiculously unbalanced. Nobody WANTED 3.x crossbows to be terrible while designing it - it's just the question of "is this actually a viable mechanical choice" was never asked, at any point. "Oh, uh, it's totally meant to be terrible" came after the fact.

Of course then you have to wrestle with the fact that these excuses were peddled out so much that now everyone, even the ones who first started using it as an excuse, actually believes it.

"I would, in fact, prefer if you attributed malice to this incompetence"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

aw gently caress talking about muscle wizards, my only weakness.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

...and it's now lost my interest. Whew. I was worried for a bit, there, that I might need to take a closer look at PF2, but if anything it's worse than I had expected.

Look at that +1 to initiative! Look at the penalties to stuff you should be able to do but can offset by the feats you get so many of! Look at that extremely dumb Quick Reversal feat that requires you to be flanked and for a certain set of rare circumstances to do anything at all!

It has also confirmed all my worst fears about the action economy, and how it will further hose melee people.

Welp that was a nice 5 minutes where I was genuinely interested in seeing where this was going.

shoulda learned my lesson after starfinger.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

If nothing else I definitely remember hearing that the PF Fighter's class bonuses got watered down to the point where it was basically free adamantine armor and a +4 bonus to fear saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

moths posted:

Vague is generous.

It's a third-hand account that unnamed executives told unnamed employees something at a meeting that may have happened days or years ago.

There is zero specific information, and what he gives is filtered through at least one person who's been Real Mad at Paizo before.

The industry has problems, but there are better ways to address it than this approach of intimations and shade, while protecting the alleged wrong-doers.

two of the people who are saying this stuff were pretty much the faces of good woke paizo and you're saying that its a conspiracy to besmirch the company's honor?