Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'm trying to come up with a pirate for our Skull & Shackles game, but I'm coming up kind of blank. Our party has a Sea Reaver Barbarian, Inquisitor of Besmara, a Magus, and a Bard. I currently have a Warpriest of Besmara using 2 cutlasses, but he's going to die most likely next session due to bad RP decisions on my part(mutiny). We aren't using full casters either. Any one have any ideas?

Some thoughts off the top of my head:

- A psychic warrior with a Captain Nemo refined Indian pirate out for revenge against the man sort of theme.
- An undine hungry ghost quinggong monk with a "what if the Little Mermaid was trained as a magic assassin but decided to leave the family business" theme.
- A broodmaster summoner whose eidolons are are all squishy tentacled things and who has a Lovecraftian cultist "my great lord lives in the deeps" theme. (Make sure to put some ranks in Profession (astronomer) so you know when the stars are right.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

A Merfolk Summoner calling up abominations of the deep seas to battle would be fun.. You could use Synthethist to bypass movement issues.

Aegis is also good for the "I am a merfolk riding around in a magic giant crab robot" sort of thing, since it's sort of a synthesist summoner idea rolled off into its own base class.

Edit: Such a character would need to be named Hsilawk, of course, and name as many things as possible after himself.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 11, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Calico Noose posted:

That sounds like a job for Unexpected Side Effects! tm

As you said, it's a giant tick give it to them for an encounter or two and then point out that the giant tick is really hungry and needs to be fed, make it drink human blood for sustenance, like a peasants worth a day and keep making them roll harder empathy checks to keep it under control if they starve it, give your players the decision of if the CR3 pet is worth a constantly flow of corpses.

This is about what I thought.

Don't go overboard on it, just make it part of the logistics of the situation.

If they're clever enough about it like by having the tick feed off wild animals or whatever let them feel good about it and have the advantage, since sooner or later something will kill the tick anyway since it doesn't have level bonuses like a real animal companion.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 14, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Inverse Icarus posted:

I had a Growth Druid using Shillelagh and Enlarge Person with a Greatclub for some decent damage dice.

I don't see why Lead Blades wouldn't work with a shield. Don't forget the spikes!

Now put it on a tiefling with that "can wield weapons as though one size larger" trait.

Edit:

Large greatclub, 3d8
Add enlarge person (now you are Large with a Huge greatclub), 6d8
Add lead blades (now you are Large with an effectively Gargantuan greatclub), 8d8
Add shillelagh (now you are Large with an effectively Colossal+ greatclub), 12d8

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 1, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Caros posted:

Yes and yes. The Astral Plane covers the entire planar cosmology as one. The Ethereal and Shadow Planes on the other hand are each individual to their respective plane. The Abyss has its own Ethereal and Shadow planes, as does the material plane and so forth.

That really depends on what edition and which version of the cosmology you're talking about, though.

2e Planescape, for example, had a single Ethereal Plane overlapping the Material and Inner Planes (but not Outer), and a single Astral plane overlapping the Material and Outer Planes (but not Inner), and the Demiplane of Shadow as something that linked the Material Plane and alternate versions of the multiverse (but not the Inner or Outer Planes).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mad Jaqk posted:

Maybe a blur effect?

Yeah, concealment's flat miss chance is way more important at mid-to-high level than AC bonuses are.

Other things that come to mind in terms of general defenses:
- stun/daze negation
- fear immunity
- true seeing
- protection from death effects
- freedom of movement

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Why Vital Strike? Unless you have the mythic version it only adds base weapon damage (x2/x3/x4), not modifiers, and just your Strength mod plus Power Attack may well outclass the extra base damage with a full attack routine with the earthbreaker.

Get the Power Attack/Cornugon Smash/Dazzling Display/Shatter Defenses feat set to get free Intimidate checks constantly, and Intimidating Prowess to push your base Intimidate through the roof (presuming your size means you have absurd Strength).

Deadly Aim would be useful if the machine guns count as "ranged damage rolls", especially if they don't actually have attack rolls and you can just jack it up to the maximum. :v:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think we all know what the solution here is.

Play a mythic synthesist summoner with the Archmage path instead and be Captain Marvel, complete with your own Rock of Eternity once you hit mythic tier 6 and pick up the Sanctum ability.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 22, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Also, add a magic bandolier of abundant ammunition (there's no preexisting item for it but it's only 4,000 gp by the pricing guidelines) and fill it with a dozen alchemical cartridges, so you never need to actually bother with tracking or crafting ammo.

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

You've suddenly come down with a 3-day flu and won't be able to make it.

That's pretty much the only way this can end well.

This is the best answer, though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

About half of his characters don't look like they could walk in a straight line with the stuff they are wearing, a quarter look like they might be able to walk but probably sound like a one-man band every time they move slightly, the rest are ok if a bit hyper-fancy for someone meant to be poking around in dusty tombs.

That pretty much just reflects D&D character equipment lists, though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Inverse Icarus posted:

You have to pick up every weapon your enemies drop so you can sell them back in town! Every axe and suit of studded leather counts!

Don't forget to carve out the walls so you can take the adamantine doors of the dungeon home to sell.

If there isn't a Smooth Criminal archetype that's like Sandman except focused on Perform (dance), there should be.

Moonwalk (Ex), an ability that lets you feint in combat against an opponent as part of movement towards or away from that opponent. Opponents denied Dex against you can't make attacks of opportunity against you.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 30, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Relin posted:

Can anyone point me toward/suggest an amusing ranged character build I can use to troll my friends with

If psionics are okay:

1. Be a Marksman.
2. Take the Kaigun archetype.
3. Be a tiefling with that ability that lets you use a Large weapon, or a half-giant.
4. Take kinetic reload.
5. Get a custom magic item of abundant ammunition so you don't need to bother actually tracking ammo.
5. Get a Large double hackbut and make bunches of... I dunno, 3d12? 4d12? full attacks.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 1, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Millions posted:

My friends and I are having out first Pathfinder session this Friday. Out experience is pretty low, I think maybe one guy has played RPGs more than just a session or two of D&D 4E. Any tips for first-timers?

Out party is looking to be a druid, a gunslinger and a cavalier for what it's worth.

What are you starting at? The biggest issues to watch out for are (a) that at level 1-3 everybody can die very easily (one critical hit from an angry orc with a greataxe can easily kill a 1st-level character, possibly twice over), and (b) that past level 6-8 or so power level disparities between the classes really take off. Take a look at the tier list for a general-purpose comparison between the different classes.

A specific thing to watch out with this party for is that the druid will probably be more survivable than the others and will need to make sure he's not taking forever on his turn (summons + companion and they're a lot more potent than the 4e equivalent), and that at mid to higher levels druids are near the upper curve of that power disparity since they have a solid spell selection and wild shape + summons + companion means always having good melee power.

Never grapple anything. Smack anyone who even suggests grappling something. Grapple rules in 3.5e/Pathfinder are terrible and a huge time sink to look up how everything works.

Actually, combat maneuvers in general are kind of a bad idea to focus on for anything but ultra-specialized builds, since combat maneuver defense for monsters tends to be consistently better than anything PCs can put out once you get past the "1d20+1" crapshoot of the first couple of levels.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Millions posted:

We were intending to start at level 1, but I might be able to persuade the DM otherwise. From what I'm seeing on that tier list, picking cavalier might have been a bad choice on my part? I was going to be a horrible little rear end in a top hat ratfolk riding on a larger, more horrid rat for laughs, but if the cavalier experience boils down to "stab things with a sword, but move slightly faster than an on-foot character" then I may go with a spellcaster.

Check out the Summoner class, which has the special mount/companion thing but with customizable build-a-creature abilities plus some general-purpose and utility spells. Just be warned that people will smack you if you take forever to play your multiple characters per round.

Also, if psionics are allowed (they're third-party but Dreamscarred has a pretty good track record), the person who wants to play gunslinger might want to check out Marksman with the Kaigun archetype. It has more widgets to keep track of than Gunslinger, but also has a lot more out-of-combat utility power, and more interesting in-combat stuff than "shoot every round and use a deed sometimes". (Quick primer on psionics: they work like sorcerer spells with but with manapower points instead of slots; normally you can't spend more PP on a power than your manifester level; and some abilites have extra effects when you're "psionically focused", which normally takes a full round action and you stay focused until something expends it or you go unconscious.)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Millions posted:

Thanks for the advice on our first game, I'll pass the info off to the DM.

The other main thing for the DM to watch out for is that magic can make plot stuff and even dungeon layouts go off the rails, especially with a druid/wizard/sorcerer/cleric in the party. Simple stuff like soften earth and stone can totally wreck "the PCs must go here / you are all stuck in a jail cell / whatever". It's easier at low level but it's generally a bad idea for campaign stuff to depend on PCs handling things by specific methods.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Night10194 posted:

So what's all this Mythic stuff? It doesn't seem like it'd help Pathfinder much to make it even higher powered.

Take a look at d20pfsrd, it has all the SRD mythic content.

It basically just piles on more abilities and numbers (though not anywhere near the absurdity of the ELH), and ones that generally have the same kind of fighter/caster split that the base material has. For example, the best 6th tier Archmage ability is to get your own persistent magnificent mansion you can access at any time at no cost; the best 6th tier Champion ability is to get a touch-range-only greater dispel magic that costs a mythic power point per use.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Eox posted:

You know, I've always wondered if it would "fix" martial classes if you baked mythic tiers into their progression from level 5 onward. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Also change most combat feats to have the mythic equivalents baked in.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Swags posted:

I really don't see how I'm the only specialized guy in the campaign where it's a non-stop slugfest through a bunch of undead. I mean, I guess I maybe min-maxed my guy a bit more than everyone else, but not by a ton, honestly. The Ranger took favored enemy: evil outsiders because they killed his pet at some point, so he's only adding +2 or so to undead and counting on his Holy bow to make up the damage for him, but he'll Instant Enemy the big guys. It's just... weird, I guess, to be so good at it with a melee dude. I guess 14th is right in the sweet spot for paladin.

+50 damage per attack isn't anything really super amazing by level 14 if you've paid attention to the mechanics. It sounds like the rest of the party is just kind of terrible at it.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 15, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Eox posted:

Well if you've got 4 +5 defending Mithral daggers you could probably allocate all of their bonuses to your AC.

Nah, it only adds the effect when a creature is damaged by the spell. You're not actually wielding them, so you can't get the defending bonus.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Eox posted:

You're right on everything else, but if memory serves James Jacobs said it does. One of the bosses in Wrath of the Righteous relies on it (A marilith with a shitton of defending longswords)

Sounds like it's time to make a Super Confused Turtle character who uses a bunch of dancing defending spiked shields.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Miijhal posted:

I've got three down, but there's a fourth character I'd like to try making and I'm not exactly sure how to approach it. I'm looking to either make a character who specializes in siege weapons or someone who dual-wields culverins or double-barreled shotguns. Maybe a Spellslinger who uses Mage Bullets to apply Dancing on one of the guns or a six-armed Synthesist?

Any suggestions on where to go with this? I don't exactly care about being optimal but being fun and effective would be nice.

Having a permanent magic item of abundant ammunition (2,000 gp by the magic item creation guidelines) will mean not having to bother with tracking or crafting ammunition. Fill it with alchemical cartridges to have at least semi-reasonable reload times.

For cannons, if the GM is good with Dreamscarred material, one amusing route could be to use the kaigun marksman. Use the sniper style of marksman to get bonus damage that stacks with Vital Strike and Deadly Aim. Then get a dancing pistol sized for a Colossal creature (it's still one-handed!) and reload it as a swift action every round with the 6th-level kaigun ability, while using your move action to regain psionic focus for more bonus damage.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Andrast posted:

Depending on the party composition, the level of optimization and how you run the fight it can range from an impossible battle to a pushover.

I'd also note on top of this that dragons in 3.5 were usually distinctly stronger than their CR would suggest†. I'm not sure if that applies to Pathfinder but you might want to be careful in case it does.

† As an intentional move on the part of the designers, who set dragon CRs with the assumption that the players were totally kitted up and prepared to deal with a dragon specifically, unlike with every other monster.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Moriatti posted:

I don't know the full composition yet but the party should be a Gunslinger (player is likely to optimize, but it's still a gunslinger), a Summoner (I'll be helping them with their character, expect mild optimization, but nothing extreme), a Monk (with a huge list of changes, including full BAB and Flurry as a standard), a Wizard and Sorcerer (neither are likely to optimize.) I have no idea who the final party member will choose, so...? There are two others who may or may not be there, but usually they cannot make it.

I'm going to run the beast as an end boss for a catacombs dungeon, I've not entirely decided wether he'll get surprised in his den, or attack them when they leave, but it will be one of those most likley. Since the party has a fair amound of ranged options, I'll probably have him take off once the Monk inevitably grabs onto him.

One thought to toss in, if the party ends doing really poorly, would be for them to discover routes through the catacomb that the dragon physically can't fit into (fissures opened up by an earthquake a few decades back, or secret tunnels made by booze-smuggling kobolds, or whatever).

If they do really, really poorly, you could put in a ghost from a previous adventuring party that really hates that goddamn dragon that killed them but can't hurt him (since the dragon can strike incorporeal creatures and is immune to energy drain), giving the party a chance to talk him into showing them where his negative energy protection or anti-darkness magical stuff ended up in the catacombs.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 17, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

the OP is four years old. what is the best software for making a character now?

Hero Lab, if you're willing to pay for per-book data packages. (These are directly licensed from Paizo, so they include all Product Identity stuff—no generic names or missing fluff text or whatever.) There's also an iPad app that'll be coming soon with full functionality matching the desktop version for Pathfinder.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Some spells from Technology Guide, as shared by Erik Mona:

Antitech field is pretty much protection from gunslingers in most games, given that it explicitly provides complete immunity to bullets.

Also, never be a robot or you will be screwed a dozen ways by anti-robot spells, except if you're a robot spellcaster and then you can just use infuse robot to turn into a magical construct instead.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean, Destroy Robot is strictly weaker than Disintegrate at the same spell level, so I guess I just don't see why it's such a gently caress you to robots?

Antitech field, discharge, (presumably) magic circle against technology, whatever else is from m to z that includes anti-robot clauses.

Though I suppose really it feels more like "those jerks wanted to have scifi in their elfgames, but if you buy this book you'll know how to handle them, wink wink".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

1st Stage Midboss posted:

If nobody in the group except this guy likes these rules, have you tried talking to him and saying how it's ruining the fun for you rather than just trying to get it all over by in-game means?

Yes, pretty much this.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think the real question here is when someone's going to make a kineticist/monk archetype.

Edit: Also, a reincarnation-themed prestige class that gives you access to the other kinesis types too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Wait, why is mind thrust a Divination spell that's not even mind-affecting?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TheWyrmDude posted:

I'd honestly rather just convert the Binder from ToM than play the Medium.

Same. The whole ability score/alignment conditional bonuses thing is just needless complication.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Red Metal posted:

Is there any way to use intimidate to frighten enemies instead of just making them shaken?

This thread on the Pathfinder forum has some ideas.

Of particular note are:
* Thug rogue to roll shaken over into frightened if you get the duration long enough
* Hellknight to just straight-up do frightened instead of shaken (but you need 3rd level in it and they need to be within 10 feet)
* Cornugon Smash to tag a free Intimidate attempt on to basically all your successful Power Attack attacks
* Furious Focus to make your first Power Attack each round much more likely to hit
* Shatter Defenses to treat any shaken, frightened, or panicked opponent you hit as flat-footed until the end of your next round
* Dreadful Carnage for a free area Intimidate whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 hp
* Nightmare Weaver if you're going to be a Brawler/Cleric or something and want to tag Intimidate onto darkness casting
* Cruel weapons so you can stack sickened on top of shaken/frightened
* Blistering invective for an area Intimidate that can also catch people on fire

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
"Starting as NPC classes" is a huge warning sign that these people are trying to play a crude imitation of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay in d20.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cincle posted:

and all the player characters are super complex (we have a wizard with a million spells and summons, a druid with laberinthine and complex wildshape rules and a billion summons, a ranger dude who can do like five attacks a turn)

Rule number one to use here is that player need to know their characters backwards, forwards, and upside-down. If they're going to use all this stuff, slap them (like, literally slap them) if they can't keep full track of all their own rules and efficiently use their actions each turn. Generally you want players you trust not to "accidentally" misread spells, etc for this kind of thing.

Cincle posted:

I also feel like the PC's are massively overpowered with a AC 29 paladin (?) a ranger who has four attacks a round of 2d6+5 at an attack bonus of +16/11/whatever.

Those honestly sound like around the right ballpark (if anything the ranger might be a little light on damage), though I'm curious where the ranger is getting the third attack from. If you're worried about people being overpowered look at the full spellcasters like wizard and druid, since around 7th to 10th level is right where the versatility of spells takes off like a rocket and those characters can easily outshine the martial ones all the time if the players are dicks.

Edit:

For example:
Level 7 human paladin: Dex +1, +1 full plate +10, +1 steel heavy shield +3, ring of protection +1, amulet of natural armor +1 gets an AC of 26 off the bat, before accounting for any spells or other magic items.
Level 7 tiefling ranger with the "use large weapons" trait: Dex 20, Weapon Finesse, EWP (Aldori dueling sword), Slashing Grace, the two-weapon combat style, and a pair of +1 Aldori dueling swords and a belt of incredible dexterity +2 gives an attack sequence of +11/+6 (2d6+7) and +11/+6 (2d6+4), before considering spells, favored enemy, etc.

Cincle posted:

I'm afraid that every turn one of those dudes gets I'm forced to have the combat come to a grinding halt cause I need to look up all the poo poo these dudes can do and I don't wanna pull everything out of my rear end. Am I as the DM supposed to learn what everything does on the fly and calculate all eventualities and statchanges etc etc on the fly? I'm scared for tomorrow. :aaa:

If you've got cash to spend, check out Hero Lab. There's a fully functional demo (everything except saving) you can use to see if the stat tracking, GM tools, etc will fit what you need. The downside is that you need to pay for books or book packs beyond the core book/Inner Sea World Guide/APs (since the company licenses everything from Paizo rather than using the SRD); the upside is full-text everything, all the character builds from the different monster and NPC books included in the encounter builder, and other this-is-the-closest-you'll-get-to-an-official-Paizo-character-builder stuff.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 9, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cincle posted:

And for the ranger, he uses the gravity bow spell to enlarge his arrows giving him 2d6 arrows, which is probably fine since it takes a standard action.

When it comes to this kind of stuff, keep in mind that most combats will take maybe 4-6 rounds total, so he's sacrificing 1/5th of his total number of attacks to get that 2d6.

Cincle posted:

Also he took the rapid shot and manyshot feats basically giving him four shots on three attack rolls. Just seemed sorta overpowered, but I'm allowing everything since I don't really have a clue.

Keep in mind there's a lot of secondary archery penalties that aren't obvious at a first glance, like the -4 for shooting into melee, provoking AoOs when firing, etc that are going to eat up character resources to counter.

Also, a level 7 barbarian will easily be hitting a +15/+10 1d12+20 and +14/+14 1d6+13 attack routine without needing any buff warm-up time, for a damage comparison.

Cincle posted:

e:
Also, since we're running an urban campaign there'll be a lot of non-monster dudes to fight. What I did like about 4e was that enemy NPC dudes were basically just monsters. Is there anything like that for pathfinder? It's gonna be a huge hassle to learn all the feats and spells for NPC enemies and 'till I get more familliar with this system I wanna simplify that sort of stuff if at all possible.

Take a monster and pretend it's a dude.

Sadly, Pathfinder hasn't really taken off the late-3.5 idea of "monsters specifically designed to pretend to be dudes" (like Monster Manual 5 was all about), but the NPC books (most of which have their contents posted on d20pfsrd, as you've already seen) have assorted premade dudes.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 9, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Covok posted:

Don't believe it's been mentioned yet, but it looks like Dreamscarred Press is adapting Magic Incarnum to Pathfinder. Don't really know much about that system as I never used it in 3.5, but the company did a good job bringing over Psionics and adapting The Book of Nine Swords.

Dreamscarred has a really good track record of doing Interesting New Stuff with 3.5 derivatives at this point, so this is an instant buy for me. It'll be interesting to see how they deal (or attempt to deal) with the myriad small problems of the whole Incarnum thing, though I imagine they've at least avoided the initial one of labeling every-loving-thing as being shades of blue.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
In 3.5 this is one of those things that got rewritten in Rules Compendium but never added back to the SRD. There's a whole subsystem for it (different Fortitude DCs and damage amounts depending on how hot/cold it is, and different time intervals based on how well protected you are) but the pertinent part is:

Rules Compendium posted:

Resistance to Cold
A creature that has resistance to cold applies this resistance to lethal and nonlethal damage from cold temperatures.

Resistance to Fire
A creature that has resistance to fire applies this resistance to lethal and nonlethal damage from hot temperatures.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Cool.
One more question (for today at least). Is there a way to make it harder for targets to save against spells I cast (through feats or items)? It is... Spell level +CHAmod+10 I believe right now... Or is it like BAB where they really did not want to give you a way to raise it more?

Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus (+1 to DCs for one school), Elemental Focus and Greater Elemental Focus (+1 to DCs for one element), Persistent Spell (+2 metamagic, spell targets save twice and take the lowest), assorted traits that give +1 to DC for specific kinds of spells, and everything else on this page.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Yukari posted:

but where were elemental focuses when I needed them? They look decent, except the obvious problem of nukes not being very good.

Whoops, try this.

Yukari posted:

but where were elemental focuses when I needed them? They look decent, except the obvious problem of nukes not being very good.

If you want an amusing low-level trick that goes with Elemental Focus and Spell Focus both, try combining snapdragon fireworks, Dazing Spell, Magical Lineage, and Wayang Spellhnter.

Edit: Snapdragon fireworks is the best.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 15, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zurai posted:

Except that you can fire it off multiple times with a movement action while casting other spells as a standard action. Snapdragon fireworks is secretly broken.

Yeah, the idea is that you tag metamagic riders onto the spell and then fire it off every round while you're also busy casting other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Follow up then, would it be worth it, starting at level 5, to spend the first 4 feats as a human towards getting Greater Weapon of the Chosen, so that I can make two attack rolls with a scimitar (18-20 crit range), in order to try to get as many critical hits as possible? Non critical damage is 1d6+7 for reference?

Greater Weapon of the Chosen is a super terrible feat because it only works when you make a single attack as a standard action.

Weapon of the Chosen/Improved Weapon of the Chosen are mediocre for anybody not relying on unenhanced natural attacks (druids using wild shape, for example), since by mid level you'll get all the same benefits from just actually using a magic weapon. Even a druid is probably better off finding esoteric magic items that give the same benefits while in wild shape.

Weapon Focus is pretty meh, since there are always better things to spend a feat on unless you need it as a prereq for another feat.

If you want to deal more damage you'd be better off just taking Power Attack and other feats that improve your damage all around.

But, if you're a spellcaster, you'd be morer betterer off taking feats that focus on your spellcasting.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 17, 2014