Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Sephyr posted:

Game is wrapping, but another is going to start soon. Been thinking of making a Shaman, as I like the concept of cursing/boosting everyone around, and not with the usual spells.

One thing has been confusing me, though. Shamans are casters who prepare their spells. But it says that Spirit Magic gives you an extra slot for spontaneous casting based on your spirit pick. Since you only have one set spirit, isn't it just a single fixed spell per level, like a domain spell? What makes it spontaneous?

Other than that, any fun ideas/tips for a Shaman build?

Shamans get Wandering Spirits fairly early into their careers that let them choose another spirit each day to have options from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Pyronic posted:

Anyone have experience playing a Samurai? I know that in a lot of ways they're just fighters with more restrictions but I'm wondering if the restrictions made for an interesting time RPing maybe or an untraditional playstyle.

Most samurais I have seen have been sword saints who get a lot of mileage out of challenge and Iaijutsu strike. Also depends somewhat on what order you choose. The base samurai is essentially a cavalier that uses bows instead of charging so much and specialize in asian-style weapons and they're fine with that? But have the same problems as any other cavalier of having issues with getting their mount in places, unless you either use a small race with a medium mount (and thus smaller damage dice and usually less strength) or spend feats for you and/or your mount on being able to ride a smaller thing or fit a large animal into smaller spaces.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

GeauxSteve posted:

I'm going to be doing a 1E Demon Hunting centered one shot this weekend where we get to build level 10 characters. Anyone have a cool class recommendation I should check out? I've played a witch (loved it) and a fire kineticist (was fun in combat). I was thinking maybe a paladin or a wizard of some sort.

Our prompt: "URGENT! Adventures, Investigators and Pathfinders required for of a string of murders. Must have knowledge of handling and quelling demons. Meet at the card table of the Grog Pit tavern in the Docks District of Absalom." signed Osprey

Occultist could be fun for free magic circles...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Does starfinder give skill ranks for favored class bonus?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Witch is pretty good at debuffing, though, with hexes on top of a decent number of spells.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

OutsideAngel posted:

Arcanist is the best of both casting worlds since you have a spellbook but flexible slots. Don't play a Brown-Fur Transmuter unless you have another player that's super into the idea, I had one join a campaign briefly and it was pretty sad when she asked who wanted to turn into a weird monster and got crickets all around.

The only downside there is that they get the slower spell level progression of the sorcerer and a number of spells per day between the wizard and sorcerer. It's possible to work around (unless you REALLY need to cast Fly at level 5 and can't get/afford potions or a wand) but if you're using point buy it doesn't make it easy to afford points in charisma for exploits.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

PF1, anyone want to help me pick a decent discipline for a psychic? Either unarchetyped or amnesiac, probably going to do just normal human? Mostly thinking dream, haunted, or symbiosis, but if anyone has a strong case for another one I may be flexible.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I kinda like the idea of the 2nd edition alchemist but I dunno about the mechanics.

Kinda want to try to backport something more actual-alchemical-item-based and less potions-that-only-you-can-drink-based to 1e

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I wouldn't be surprised.

Honestly I'm not sure making the alchemist a core class was a particularly good idea at all...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Boba Pearl posted:

Sorry to double post, but I just want to talk about how cool this system seems now that I'm learning it. I'm cross posting this from Discord...

I'm teaching myself Pathfinder for the first time, and so much of it is so exciting. It seems like they made Martials better in general (not wizard tier, but actually able to participate in combat,) the three action systems is so much less clunky then the standard move minor system from 4e, and the mix of ancestry, heritage, background, and archetype seems to give crazy flexibility in making truly unique and interesting characters. I have the beginner box, and the SRD, and every new race or class or archetype I learn about spawns a dozen ideas for cool campaigns. The skill system has mechanics for things I have to home rule in a lot of game, which is nice because it lets me feel like I can hand off more to the system. Especially things like using athletics to break down doors, or Deception not being a generic bluff stat, but having different mechanics for lying vs impersonating vs diversions.

I feel like Hero Points are better than advantage, they let the player decide when to re-roll and they're an easy mechanic to hand out. The +10 crit rule seems super cool as well. It has power cards and keywords as well which rules, and combining that with foundry shows a list of every keyword pertaining to that power / action / item which seems like it would take out a lot of the compendium searching I have to do in 4e. Death can also be really boring in DND with it not really mattering because of revival stuff at later levels, but also just because mechanically it doesn't feel good to take a character away when someone dies. The Hero Points letting you avoid death rules, because it makes player death a decision made by the player. It reminds me of the wound system of Tenra Bansho Zero.

The Game Mastery guide and Core Rulebook are also very well written, and when I have a question it seems like it answers them, where as a lot of other systems leave me wanting.

Pathfinder 2e might not be as good as it seems but on first blush before play I'm super stoked to see it play out.

Also Leshi and Arandi might be two of the cutest creatures in the world of tabletop games ever.

I like all of these things a lot but I have some issues with 10th level spells and bards being full casters because they didn't want to make the Psychic core (to have a full caster from the occult spell list; having just four spell lists is also kind of an issue), and the proficiency system rubs me the wrong way since there's no way to have, like, a little bit of ability in a skill (I am one of the weirdos that usually has at least two skills with less than max ranks in in PF1e/3.x).

Plus I kind of like the original for still having everything built on pretty much the same hit dice foundation so you can mix and match things more easily but I understand that they changed that largely so stat blocks were less huge.

But yeah there are a lot of good design decisions.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I haven't started playing 2e yet but I'm still gonna pick up this AP...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Anyone here good enough at 1e and 2e to maybe help critique the 1e Anadi writeup I'm working on?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'd try out 2e to try out this path, I think, it seems really cool.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Roadie posted:

2e is pretty good.

Just make sure you keep in mind that it's really not a direct 3.x derivative outside of the basic idea of "roll high on d20". A lot of basic stuff around the expected math, action system, saves, etc doesn't work the same as a 3.x game.

Yeah, I'll need to read through some more of the rules and figure out the equipment rules and stuff. Honestly it's a few big things that I originally bounced off of but I can probably work around them somewhat.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Aw man that sucks.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

blastron posted:

Ah, a necklace of Fireball.

This reminded me of a player in the 1e game I'm in who is a cleric and brewmaster... so I worked this up. Not sure about the save DCs or the result on failure but I was working from the one Boxen posted (though this is definitely a more powerful magic item, since I made it literally based on the Necklace of Fireballs).

Necklace of Fireball
Aura moderate evocation; CL 10th; Slot none (can be worn on the neck or elsewhere); Price 1,650 gp (type I), 2,700 gp (type II), 4,350 gp (type III), 5,400 gp (type IV), 5,850 gp (type V), 8,100 gp (type VI), 8,700 gp (type VII); Weight 1 lb.

DESCRIPTION

This item appears to be a chain with a number of small vials attached to it by the stoppers, with a fastener on the ends to allow it to be worn as a necklace or attached to something. (If worn, it does not occupy a magic item slot) All of the bottles are full of an amber liquid, and someone who wears or holds the item can see a number of stars on each vial, indicating the strength of its contents. If a vial is pulled loose from the necklace, it opens and the contents can be drunk, tasting strongly of alcohol and cinnamon (removing and drinking a vial takes a standard action). After drinking the vial, the user exhales a 30-foot cone of aromatic fire, the damage of which is actually half fire and half divine, and must make a fortitude save or be sickened for a period of time. The vials come in different strengths, ranging from those that deal 2d6 points of damage to those that deal 10d6, and the the DC of the fortitude save increases along with the damage. The market price of a sphere is 150 gp for each die of damage it deals. Each necklace of fireball contains a combination of vials of various strengths, as listed below:

Type 10d6 9d6 8d6 7d6 6d6 5d6 4d6 3d6 2d6 Market Price
Type I — — — — — 1 — 2 — 1,650 gp
Type II — — — — 1 — 2 — 2 2,700 gp
Type III — — — 1 — 2 — 4 — 4,350 gp
Type IV — — 1 — 2 — 2 — 4 5,400 gp
Type V — 1 — 2 — 2 — 2 — 5,850 gp
Type VI 1 — 2 — 2 — 4 — — 8,100 gp
Type VII 1 2 — 2 — 2 — 2 — 8,700 gp

2d6: DC 10 or sickened for 1 minute
3d6: DC 12 or sickened for 2 minutes
4d6: DC 13 or sickened for 3 minutes
5d6: DC 14 or sickened for 4 minutes
6d6: DC 16 or sickened for 5 minutes
7d6: DC 18 or sickened for 7 minutes
8d6: DC 20 or sickened for 8 minutes
9d6: DC 22 or sickened for 10 minutes
10d6: DC 24 or nauseated for 1 minute and sickened for 10 minutes

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS
Feats Craft Wondrous Item, flame strike; Cost 825 gp (type I), 1,350 gp (type II), 2,175 gp (type III), 2,700 gp (type IV), 2,925 gp (type V), 4,050 gp (type VI), 4,350 gp (type VII)

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

That sucks, and it's hard to decide if there's anything to do about it since there are still a lot of good people there among the writers/artists/developers/editors.

I'm still pretty invested in the setting, but I was running on 1e stuff anyway...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Megazver posted:

I've read that thread. I bet the bosses are pretty lovely, because they usually are, but I must confess that part where the thread tries really hard to make that one dork who likes Victorian esoterica look like he's a white supremacist, especially if you read his response, has made me think that maybe that particular person's claims should be taken with a grain or two of salt.

I hope the people who got fired find justice.

It read to me less like "he's a white supremacist" and more like "he's a fan of some things that have some deeply-ingrained racism in their background, which make some people uncomfortable, and he didn't really get that (perhaps willfully)" but I'm not always an amazing reader.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'm not thrilled with so many of the 1e iconics being replaced <<_<<

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blockhouse posted:

Was anyone that attached to occultist dude

No, but I liked Rivani, and Damiel, and Alahazra.

And Mavaro was at least nice to have as somewhat-overweight-adventurer representation.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

There are also a few books that have a lot of setting information that's valuable with or without the specific rules (the 1e Inner Sea World Guide (which has some information about how stuff was before the changes 2e incorporates), the 2e Lost Omens World Guide, and the 2e Mwangi Expanse book so far) and then, if there are any areas that jump out at you as interesting, there might be a splatbook, or some adventure paths or modules, or a 2e book once more of those come out about those areas specifically, while you don't have to pay as much attention to stuff you're less interested in.

Like, I'm not sure what parts of the game really grab you, if it's stuff like the deities you might be interested in the books about those too.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 21, 2021

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The 2e Psychic might be less of an issue if they had a better way of flexing the sorcerer's spell list per bloodline than shifting the entire spell list <<_<<

This is the big issue I had to start with on the "There are only four spell lists [and then focus spells]" thing.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Evilgm posted:

But the spell list they have makes perfect sense for the Class. It's all mind magic and debuffs. They have serious issues, being Occult casters isn't one of them.

I'm suggesting that the sorcerer shouldn't get the whole occult list, not that the psychic shouldn't.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

What book is the Poppet from? And is Guns and Gears out just for subscribers?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Assuming you're not planning on doing the actual unarmored Sword Saint archetype for the Samurai class?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Canopus250 posted:

No worries, I didn't see much of anything useful for that archetype on Paizo. Most of the comments were somebody asking the same question in 2019 or complaining that it's too expensive to enchant both a weapon and unarmed strike. Figured it was worth a shot that somebody had tried it before.

Since you're not getting more than normal unarmed strikes for your BAB, you could use a bodywrap of mighty strikes instead of an amulet of mighty fists and save some money there as long as you do any AoOs with sword. I'm not very good at figuring out multiclassing though, since I usually want to see a class's abilities progress (I hadn't seen that archetype before, it's pretty neat). I guess if you don't want to advance challenge or resolve or order abilities beyond a certain point, the archetype doesn't trade out anything significant after level 5 though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Arivia posted:

don't forget to retrain for max hp in pf1 no matter what kind of hp rolling you're doing

Was going to remind that you can do this, yeah. It takes a fairly small amount of money and a more significant amount of time, though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The strength of thousands players guide explicitly recommends free archetype for a spellcasting class, I believe, to allow for party balance and not just full parties of wizards and druids.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Megazver posted:

Yeah, but the Free Archetype can only be wizard or druid. And Fried Watermelon, I think, allowed them to be, like, part-time Maguses and poo poo.

Magus would make sense. The reason is that in-universe the Magaambya is pretty much a school for wizards and a few druids, but I would imagine that Magi and (arcane or primal) Witches would probably be easy enough to work in.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

sugar free jazz posted:

Just general good to broken spells-

Level 6 spells: Greater black tentacles if you feel like ruining the game, Chains of Light, Flesh to Stone,
Level 7 spells: Reverse Gravity, Forcecage, Plane Shift

edit on second thought, just get scrolls of Antimagic Field and Waves of Exhaustion

And a Mnemonic Vestment

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah I'm trying to homebrew a Greater Mnemonic Vestment that works 3 or 5 times per day but I can't figure out how much to price it at.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Clerics' Air Walk can function for aerial mobility, but a suggestion to get a wand from a helpful NPC wouldn't go amiss, and if they're really obtuse there can always be a loot pile doctored with a broom of flying or a pair of wings of flying. Lack of an arcane caster can be an issue at higher power levels since wizards just have the most variety of spells, and the final boss particularly being a level 20 wizard himself can be hard to take on without some of that versatility. Also, if there's an encounter with an enemy that can do something that the party definitely can't handle, and they don't seem to be taking hints to prepare for it, there's nothing wrong with altering the enemy's tactics slightly to give them a chance to rethink or even make it more manageable for them.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Dark Knight also wants either a Vicious weapon or a class ability that can make their sword Vicious - adding damage to the enemy by taking damage themselves is the other part of their schtick.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oh, sorry, I had missed that it wasn't included in 2e. It's not normally something I want to use so I've never looked for it but I always think about dark knights on the rare occasion I do think of it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

How would one fix it? Give the alchemist more perks when they use bombs (like the Int to damage in 1e), limit mutagen ability to be used by others? Because I did think the alchemist in first edition had some issues with trying to be too many things at once.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Chevy Slyme posted:

At level one it basically plays like a Barbarian. Turn on Rage Overdrive, and then go hit something. Unlike a Barbarian you can do that from range, and you can turn on overdrive out of combat so that you don’t waste an action on turn one. As you gain levels you’ll start doing more cool spell-like stuff with your innovation, but it’s a bit of a slow starter class. Things really start to get spicy once you can grab gadget crafting at level 4 and upgrading your Innovation.

are any of the choices for the innovation bad?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Harold Fjord posted:

Also a good time to have a conversation about what your allies might need to stabilize you

Hint: the easiest way is probably Harm magic

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'm not as familiar with the mechanics of 2e I guess but I can imagine a magus using a gunsword...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

NikkolasKing posted:

Even the "Good" gods are kinda jerks in this game. It all started when I took an interest in the Fey and learned how they were created and abandoned by the gods, basically discarded rejects so the gods could make the Material Plane instead. And now I read this in Planer Adventures:

In eons past, the angel Tabris was tasked with cataloging all knowledge of the Great Beyond, only to eventually be cast from Heaven for penning the Book of the Damned, the perfect catalog of all planar evil. His dedication and sacrifice to the task have inspired some to follow his example; these bards are known as the chroniclers of worlds.

Some gratitude.

Also interesting is that it doesn't seem tor really matter where you go when you die. Pharasma specifically does not reward or punish, just sends you on your way to the place you'd be most at home. But it's also not really "you" anymore as your soul loses all memories of bodily existence. And perhaps even more importantly. whether your soul is sent to Heaven or the Abyss or somewhere else, 99% of these souls fade away into quintessence. There is no eternal afterlife for most everyone.

Not what I expected and really interesting.

Yeah, I think a lot of it goes down to the gods having much more complicated plans or perspectives on these things. Like, the processing of souls has to basically not upset any of the major gods, and them becoming quintessence that reinforces/expands the realm is the main point of it arguably, so with an eternal or at least interminably long viewpoint what they do as petitioners or whatever other outsiders (not a game term anymore in 2e) they develop into is less important in the meanwhile. And there are always exceptions who somehow remember anyway.

As far as Tabris, the banishment might have been much, but I got the impression that his essence as a being of pure good was actually damaged by some of the stuff he witnessed and recorded and ended up neutral, so it would have been an awkward fit in Heaven afterwards anyway. That said...

Froghammer posted:

The Pathfinder Cosmology is Planescape with the serial numbers filed off. It's fine, as those things go.

Planescape is more segmented and the planes are more... specific? Because there are some weird things in the great beyond, like since the lawful neutral plane is a city instead of pure mechanics, there are a lot of non-lawful beings that end up there, including that's where the neutral evil god of thieves and secrets lives. Also, I don't think any of the major chaotic neutral gods actually have realms in the maelstrom, since it's almost impossible to build there. So they generally hang out in elysium or, perhaps, the Abyss. Part of it's just because the planes are not created equal - the Maelstrom is bigger than all the other outer planes except the abyss, and is constantly eroding them with its chaos, and then the abyss is as big as all the other outer planes combined including the maelstrom, and possibly literally a living being itself that the fiends that call it home mostly live in the cracks in the surface of. Plus the river styx, which is part of Abaddon, goes through all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah Abaddon is the plane of utter nihilism - unlike the other realms they don't even care about growing their realm, they just want to make it so nothing alive exists (Compare to the Qlippoth who want to make it so nothing alive besides them exists), so it's actually counter to the idea of the flow of souls. If you go to Hell or the Abyss, your soul will probably be pressed into servitude or eaten, but in abaddon they'll literally obliterate it. You only go there if you either really want to be obliterated, or want to join in in the obliterating and think you'll "live" long enough to be able to. If I remember correctly, Pharasma actually originally didn't *let* souls choose to go to Abaddon so the only people who went were those dedicated to the horsemen or daemons, but eventually the horsemen literally went to Pharasma's court and said "Hey that's not fair, we're deities too, so we deserve our shot at all the souls as much as anyone else and what we do with them afterwards is none of your business." and she couldn't actually refute that.