Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My group hasn't played in a while and I've been thinking about starting a pathfinder game. I like some of the things pathfinder has done, and we played 3.5 for years and liked it just fine, but I'm really not sure if I want to invest in the system. The idea of going straight back to vanilla 3.5 doesn't appeal to me very much either.

I think most of the problems at the gaming table actually had little to do with combat rules itself, though. I'd try 4th edition just for simplicity's sake, but I just hate hate hate what 4th edition did to caster's spellbooks. So I feel stuck with the old broken rear end d20 system whether it be 3.5 or PF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Sorry I should have made it more clear that I meant like... invest the time & thought to converting an adventure and running it :/

I've been working on converting red hand of doom to PF so I'm probably going to at least give it a shot.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
That was a constant problem for me in 3.5. My players are by no means min-maxers (or whatever you want to call them). And I never gave an excess of magic items, but every module I ever ran, they absolutely steamrolled every encounter anywhere near the appropriate CR. It took +3 or +4 CR fights to consistently last more than 4 rounds.

I don't know if the whole system is just hosed in 3.5 or what. But I had to adjust every goddamn fight and it was such a pain in the rear end, I ended up just winging it 90% of the time. Add 50% HP, up his AC by 2, attack by 2, dmg by one die, that kind of crap.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well I was going to start a pathfinder game but now I'm all pissed off. After getting the group all squared away, the guy playing the cleric (an old 3.5 player) changed his mind 1 day before the game starts because "they're no fun now." I figured he was talking about the spell nerfs or heavy armor or something, but no... he was upset that the War Domain no longer grants a martial weapon proficiency.

Nevermind that I basically let him write up his own god if he wanted to... so he could have whatever favored weapon he wanted.

So now I'm running one of the ultimate meatgrinder campaigns, red hand of doom, for a group with only a paladin and bard for healing. 4th edition becomes more and more tempting just because it's so much less work for the DM. Maybe some people have a group that is worth the effort needed to run 3.5/PF, but I don't.