Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm brewing a setting that involves colonization of a new world, and I'm thinking about having abandoned battlements being part of the setting. From what you said in the post above, the Runelord series sounds great for some cherry picking. In addition, the Kingmaker series that got mentioned in here sounds like an idea mine as well.

So, two questions: what's the release schedule for the Kingmaker series, and do you have any recommendations for converting the stats in the Pathfinder adventures to 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons?

Converting a monster from any previous version of D&D to 4e is a 2 step process:
1. Find the monster in the DDI adventure tools.
2. Convert it.

Taking an encounter from an old module and updating it is a little different. You need to figure out the XP budget for your party and then either adjust the critters to fit that or add some more in.

I'm converting the old Feast of Goblyns module over to 4e and it's pretty easy if you have the DDI tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
While I'm a huge 4e fanboy I like a lot of what I see in Pathfinder. However I loving hate, HATE, sitting down and going through a book to roll up a character. Is there a piece of software that lets me make a character quickly and print right to the official character sheets?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
So I started playing in a pathfinder game a couple of weeks ago and we ran into a couple of problems.

Two players are playing Noble Drow. Which are like regular Drow but with a bunch of powerful spell like abilities. A lot of them. In the bestiary the Noble Drow start at CR 3 so they're like level 3 monsters before adding class levels. What's a good way to handle it as just saying "no" resulted in a huge rear end argument.

I'm pushing for a 3 level adjustment. The players say a 1 level adjustment (as per regular Drow) is appropriate, our DM is pissed that they get stuff like detect magic, levitate, and deeper darkness at will.

It's these guys that are causing the issues.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Idran posted:

Not quite as much, since like I said earlier, Pathfinder drow don't get a 1 level adjustment.

Actually, looking at the stat block again, I'm not sure what by strict RAW the noble drow level adjustment should be, since I just noticed the example CR 3 statblock they have is a cleric 3. But that's just more evidence that it's a bad choice to allow, since that's obviously something that should definitely have one.

The thing is, even is you strip out the Cleric levels and their spells you still have a solid list of utility spells. I like the idea of feat taxing but that will probably cause a poo poo storm as we would be inventing custom feats just to keep those two in line.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A five level adjustment is too high. By the time they start catching up we would be facing things that can both one shot them and drat near auto hit their low level asses.

Etherwind posted:

Hey. I told you, go read the Faerun books, they've already been written.

Because I don't wanna!

One of the reasons I want to play in this game (and why our DM wants to run it) is because, theoretically, we don't need shelves upon shelves of splat books like 3.5. I don't have any beefs with the 3.x system, but I hate trying to justify/balance a couple of dozen splat books spread across all the players so everyone gets their special snowflake character.

veekie posted:

:words:

I like the feat tax idea because it spreads out his progression in SLAs more like that of a normal caster. My suggestion to the DM tonight is to hit him with a LA (which is fair just for the stat bonuses) and then use character level as caster level for his SLAs. If that's a Level 3 Sorcerer spell he doesn't get it until he would have access to those spell if he was a sorcerer/etc. I think the big problem with the two Drow Nobles is that they get access to really good stuff for a level 1 character. Yeah, most of that stuff isn't that impressive from the mid-game on, but it kind of easy-modes the lower levels.

Of course the A answer would still be to just say "No, you don't get to play that because it's loving broken" but that didn't work too well last time.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
So the DM decided that they can't be Drow nobles. One player was absent, the other didn't really give a poo poo. The rest of us had a blast.

My Inquisitor is loving awesome. He seems to be just about the right balance of martial murder machine and self buffing magic man.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

grah posted:

Edit: Heck, on the topic, Disintegration isn't even that great a spell. When a caster gets it at level 11, it does 22d6 damage, or 77 on average. Meanwhile a level 11 mounted fighter with Spirited Charge, a lance, and Improved Vital strike can put out roughly 5d8+75 per turn. Stick him on a flying mount and you've got a vicious party member through the mid levels who will remain useful late into the game. Hitpoint damage is literally the one and only place where fighters can be better than casters, but it's a useful and important place.

Because that flying mount can go everywhere the fighter does. And he never gets disarmed. Or sundered. Or gets into anything other than just regular roshambo combat.

From an encounter design point you can either make the opposition a challenge to the strongest members of the party (the casters) and leave the weaker ones in the dust with little to do. Or tailor the scenario to ones they can participate in and allow the stronger members to potentially run roughshod over everything.

Also, the Inquisitor class does everything the Fighter can do better, plus have some of that sweet sweet casting goodness to be useful outside of straight beatsticking.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Swags: Your DM is terrible. Stacking the deck against the PCs is one thing, but he tore the cards out of your hands, ripped them to shreds and made you watch a sideshow consisting entirely of pictures of his genitals.

There is no way he couldn't whip up a ring or something that allowed you to use your spells at a slight penalty? Like you can still use good magic but are just always rolling at -2? Or you don't get all of your spell slots or something?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
So in the PF campaign I'm in we just got a city and are supposed to purchase gear. Except by purchase, apparently we're supposed to make the gear we want, because apparently everything we can imagine is being sold here.

I hate, god drat hate, item creation. I'm a fourth level Inquisitor with about 10,800 gold to blow. Any suggestions? I already have a +2 Longsword and have an AC of 17 with my hide armor, but that's about it. Any ideas?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
I'm thinking Rhino Hide Armor and upping my sword with a Merciful enhancement. That way on a charge I'm doing 1d8+4d6+5 subdual damage. Along with that heavy wooden shield that has no armor check penalty I should be at AC 20 and splattering a fair number of critters.

That leaves me with about 3k left. What can I do to really mess poo poo up? I'm leaning towards an Eversmoking Bottle and taking blindfight for my next feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Tactical Bonnet posted:

My only inquisitor build I ever messed with was a dex build. It worked out to something pretty silly like 22AC while using a bow, dealing an assload of damage with each shot when buffed and judged up.

After get my gear sorted I'm going to be doing on a flanking charge:
1d8 sword + 1d6 precision + 2d6 + 5 and whatever bonuses I can find.

Next level I get to add another 2d6 to that from bane.

Are the Vital Strike feats worth it or will monster HP scale past damage output fairly fast?