Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

happyelf posted:

Well, the role of magic, for one thing. And while both games also have goofy adventurer economies, but 3.5's is a fair bit goofier. Skill checks are another issue, as are any class specific variations in the system.

Generally however, while i'm really interested in this, i'm leery of trusting the designers who brought us the pathfinder Fighter class. Not to mention the pathfinder wizards class. 4e is a very innovative, well built system, pathfinder is not. I honestly don't know if they can pull off an interesting design here- I certainly hope they can.

And on the other hand, there are all sorts of great hooks in 4e that such a system could build on. Skill challenges, rituals, stuff like that.

Plus, there are elements of 3e I had fun with that they'll probably neglect. I mean a high leval druid or other spellcaster could pretty much terraform the whole kingdom using mud, rock, and dig spells, but I doubt they'll be supporting that- of course if they do, it just makes spellcasters that much more ludicrously powerful.
ah but a fighter could use a diplomacy check to make a rousing speech, giving all his subjects +2 to will saves vs fear effects! this is both realistic AND balanced, which is more than can be said for 4.fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

wtf is wrong with the fighter and wizard classes? They nerfed wizards by squeezing their spell tree, making it REALLY hard to cast if a monster so much as stands near them (concentration check = 15 + double the spell level), altering save or lose spells like finger of death, altering school restriction rules, and giving them nifty but not overpowered abilities.

They buffed fighters by making changes/additions to feats, giving them free weapon specialization groups (such as long blades) that can be swapped at a later level like sorc spells, and giving them more utility with abilities that remove the speed reduction, increase max dex bonus, and vastly reduce the armor check penalty.

As for skills, you can take ANY skill you want without penalty, you just get a +3 bonus on class skills. Not only that, they consolidated redundant skills like spot/listen, hide/move silently, tumble/jump etc. Concentration checks are no longer a skill at all, but are based entirely off caster level.

4e skills are retarded. They basically returned to the 2nd edition NWP crap of "well, I know that the master smith dwarf has been practicing his craft for decades, but since my intelligence is higher than his I am better at that same skill I picked up last week."

Pathfinder is an update of 3.5, not a brand new system. It's not suppose to change the ENTIRE game or be too innovative. It's made for those who like 3.5 but want it to be balanced, which I think they did pretty well.
just gonna be the first to quote this masterpiece

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

happyelf posted:

and in contrast most 4e art seems to be 'stand around, occasionally blast a dude or cast a cool spell, not really move much'
'do you think this armour makes me look horse-faced'

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Those tits aren't really that huge.
        /

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

mixitwithblop posted:

for all that grognards hate anime my 4e campaigns never seem to have The Bath Scene or The Hot Springs Scene, just saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

happyelf posted:

Consider thedas, the dragon age setting.
:aaaaa: