Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Chiming in to say I've got just about everything they've put out for Pathfinder with the exception of a couple of the stand-alone adventures and the Pathfinder Society adventures.

Echoing the "if you don't like 3.5 you're not going to like PF" statements, but the world (Golarion), the Adventure Paths, and the supplements are all pretty top-notch, so even if you don't end up using them in PF you can probably find some stuff.

Happy to answer questions for folks if people want to know about the various products. I've run half of Rise of the Runelords, I'm currently running Curse of the Crimson Throne, and I've played through Second Darkness.

Any interest in a maptools PFRPG game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

My opinion:

1. Council of Thieves
2. Legacy of Fire
3. Curse of the Crimson Throne (with some shuffling in the endgame stuff)
4. Rise of the Runelords
5. Second Darkness

Not sure where Kingmaker's going to end up but I'd say it's going to be top three based on the track record.

Council of Thieves is tops 'cause it's quite different in a lot of ways from a "traditional" AP. Less dungeon-crawling and more interaction with the city and denizens thereof. Heck, in the second chapter you put on an opera.. and they've actually included the text of the opera if you want to have people do their roles. (Don't have to, but it's there.)

Legacy of Fire does a lot with genies and wishes and such and has a surprising amount of "here's the situation, here's your goal, how are you going to do it?" for an AP. The setpieces are pretty spectacular.

Curse of the Crimson Throne has some awesome setup and it's got a great use of disease in a campaign (which is pretty rare, as far as I've seen). The later parts of it suffer from "we can't set the WHOLE thing in the city, people will get bored!" so you end up shooting off to do stuff waaay away from Korvosa--that's why I mentioned the tweaking necessary.

Rise of the Runelords isn't much as a coherent AP--you can really tell it's the first one they've done in Golarion--but it has some gloriously hosed up adventures. The haunted house mechanics are awesome and atmospheric and really freaked my players out, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Hills Have Eyes take on ogres in Hook Mountain Massacre was fantastically macabre. This one requires the most effort to string together into a coherent campaign, I'd say--there's several points where you need some serious linking adventures to get folks to where they need to be for the next chapter.

Second Darkness is last despite all the stuff I said about Rise because frankly it's kinda dull. There are some fun setpieces but it's drow all over again, and they're just played out. The path also assumes some altruism on the characters parts, because the nominal good guys (the surface elves) are really pretty much assholes to the party, so it may be hard to see a motivation to help them beyond "well, the AP must go on!"

Honestly, the Paizo guys are just getting much better at the AP business and are starting to branch out from the old-school style paths like AoW and Shackled City. The first three paths are good, but starting with Legacy of Fire they've just gotten better with each path. The newer ones are much more in the style of Savage Tide where they're not afraid to step out of the dungeon crawl.

At Paizocon II they talked about the direction of the paths, and how they started off fairly conservatively since they weren't sure if people would buy them. By the time they realized that yes, people really do want some unusual campaign premises and yes, Pathfinder Adventure Paths were a viable business they were already halfway through Crimson Throne. Given their production schedule they'd already had most of Second Darkness done, which is why you start seeing more unusual stuff open up in Legacy and then really hit its stride in Council. Hearing about that and Kingmaker was fantastic--that's the kind of campaign I prefer to play in/run since I started playing D&D.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

WhiteSpyder posted:

My interest is piqued... I've never used maptools before, but I sure do love me some Pathfinder! :black101:

Edit: Time-dependent, naturally. For the record, I'm in the Eastern Time Zone and work a 7am - 4pm kinda job.

Maptools is pretty easy to pick up, actually. I'll look into the Pathfinder framework; hopefully it's a bit more complete that it was before the actual PFRPG release.

I'm Eastern, and I work 11a-7p, so it'd be like an 8p-11p thing if I did it weeknights. Weekends are a bit more flexible, obviously.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

FedkaTheConvict posted:

[...]

Any of the PF aficionados have a a rundown on who the artist is and how they settled the PF core art aesthetic?

Which artist are you interested in information about?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

The Runelords series has some great ruined areas settled/taken over by monsters bits. The whole area it's set in, Varisia, is littered with ruins from 10,000 years prior to "current setting year". The starting town, Sandpoint, for example, has a ruined building called the Lighthouse. No one's really sure what its original purpose was, but it's a local landmark. Turns out it was a border defense system--the tower could spit torrents of flame several miles long, and was part of a network of them. There's huge ruined bridges leading out into the open ocean; there's enormous dams holding back miles-deep reservoirs; there's lost cities and such peppered about the region.

Of the Runelords series, #3, 4, and 6 probably fit into the "ruined locale" setting the best. #3 is the weakest, I think; the dam mentioned above features in it somewhat, but the focus is on inbred ogres and a recently-taken fortress. Could probably be adjusted fairly easily, but 4 and 6 have the most "ruined areas" for the buck. Six in particular, as it's all about exploring a 10,000 year old ruined city.

I'd also suggest checking out their Gamemastery adventure series--there's a pretty nice set of stand-alones that would probably make for decent "abandoned ruins"/wilderness area adventures.

Kingmaker is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path series, which is released monthly. It starts in March and will go for six issues, so you're looking at one a month from then until August. Paizo has had a couple of incidents of late shipping (usually due to customs), but I usually get my hardcopy by the third week of the month--it ships the week before.

All of the Adventure Path books are laid on on Paizo's website--I'd highly recommend checking out the descriptions there and the forums. There's a section for each Path with comments/GM notes/extras from other people. I'm also happy to answer specific content questions you might have.

As for converting to 4e I can't really help you, since I don't own 4e. I don't think it'd be too difficult, though, given the ease of creating encounters in 4e. If you check the messageboards there's a 4e section with a few threads on conversion; you might also check the sections for the specific Path you're interested in (as mentioned above). Often, particularly for the older Paths, there's lots of conversion notes from folks.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, I dip my toe in the Paizo forum lightly. It's a lot of circle-jerking for the most part, though it's very nice circle-jerking.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

If there's one thing you should get from that video, it's that the Paizo guys aren't all that concerned about "rules quality." I know Buhlman posted that horrible thread on rpg.net when they released the fighter iconic stuff, but there was otherwise VERY little of that type of thing going on during the playtest and after the release. The fanbois might froth about it, but I really don't think the Paizo staff themselves are particularly rabid about the ruleset. PFRPG was a first and foremost a business decision on Paizo's part. They didn't like the GSL, and they saw that there was a market segment that Wizards was going to move away from. It let them tap into that market with very little effort on their part--all they had to say is "it's compatible with the 3.5/OGL stuff" and that pretty much sold the game to people that weren't interested in moving to 4e. They're doing just fine from a business standpoint, and I don't think you'll see much movement on their part to some kind of "advanced PF" game unless that business declines noticeably.

Arguably, Paizo's key products are system agnostic: the Adventure Paths and Golarion material. The fact that a significant market will fork over for a rulebook is just icing on the balance sheet cake.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Is it possible to have a pathfinder thread that doesn't devolve into horrible bickering?

I want to hear about Golarion or level 20 fighters and their generous fear save bonuses.

I think there's a thread for "jesus christ 3.5/PFRPG suck rear end", actually.

I'm perfectly happy to talk about the Adventure Paths or Golarion or whatever, because they're awesome and it's sad they get buried under the 'spergin.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Rescue Toaster posted:

My group hasn't played in a while and I've been thinking about starting a pathfinder game. I like some of the things pathfinder has done, and we played 3.5 for years and liked it just fine, but I'm really not sure if I want to invest in the system. The idea of going straight back to vanilla 3.5 doesn't appeal to me very much either.

I think most of the problems at the gaming table actually had little to do with combat rules itself, though. I'd try 4th edition just for simplicity's sake, but I just hate hate hate what 4th edition did to caster's spellbooks. So I feel stuck with the old broken rear end d20 system whether it be 3.5 or PF.

Well, the whole game is basically available for free if you're OK with not having printed books. The Pathfinder Reference Document is complete, unlike the d20 SRD (which lacked a few things like XP tables, as I recall). So you can certainly start with that. The PDF version is also only $10 if you want the art, too, and don't mind a digital format.

So you really can check it out without really forking over much cash if you're willing to play without a physical rulebook.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Gotcha.

Well, that said, there's not a heck of a lot of conversion you necessarily have to do. When I run the 3.5 Adventure Paths I usually just bump the hit points of the opponents (from typically average for the HD to 80-100% of max) and calculate the CMB/CMD (which is pretty easy to do). You may need to do some quick & dirty skill rank conversion, depending on whether the group is likely to do sneaky stuff, but I've found that just using the highest Hide/Move Silently bonus and translating Spot directly to Perception works well and can be done on the fly.

The conversion is just for you as the GM; why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be? Not like the players are going to care whether that monster was properly converted to being a 5th level PF fighter from a 5th level 3.5 fighter.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I only buff HP because I've got 5-6 players, usually, so leaving monsters (particularly "boss" monsters) at average HP means they go do in a round or two.

Not a bad thing, necessarily, but I find we get more enjoyment from having the combat go for 6-7 rounds.

Oh, almost forgot--you'll want to check any spells the opponents might be using to make sure they haven't significantly changed from 3.5. There aren't a huge amount of them that did, but some (particularly polymorph effects) did get a fairly major overhaul.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

WhiteSpyder posted:

Provided there's enough interest, when were you thinking about doing this?

Time-wise or start-date?

Time-wise it'd either be on a weeknight from 8-11 Eastern or Sunday evening 6-10ish Eastern.

Starting, pretty much whenever. I'd probably run Council of Thieves unless folks wanted to wait for Kingmaker.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'd be in for that, but I've never played online. Is there anything I should be downloading to play?

Probably maptools (from http://rptools.net), but I'll look into Fantasy Grounds.

OK. Let me do a bit of prepwork, then, and I'll post a recruitment thread by middle of the week.

For folks making characters: we'll be doing High Fantasy (20 points) for stats, and anything in the core book is fine. Playtest classes may be acceptable depending on how well you sell it. Traits will be in use; one from the AP and one from the basic trait document.

I don't really house-rule anything, though I'm not a huge fan of multiclassing and it'll be hard to sell me on more than two classes.

I'm willing to run Council of Thieves, Legacy of Fire, or Kingmaker, though Kingmaker won't be available until April.

Respond here or via PM and let me know which AP you'd prefer.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

To anyone that's interested in the VTT PFRPG game: are any of you on Macs?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Isn't there a thread for this discussion elsewhere?

Some Kingmaker info:

There's no actual "here's how the kingdom runs" stuff in the first volume. It's a hex-based thing (though I suspect you could do areas or regions or whatever fairly easily, as long as the terrain is largely homogeneous). The article this time was about exploration, which is a prerequisite for incorporating it into whatever kingdom you've got. Basically you spend extra time in the hex and discover stuff based on some skill rolls; there's a small XP award for doing so. It's also the introduction to the sandbox portion of the AP, as you're basically given a map of the area around the campaign start point with a hex grid superimposed. On that map are various locations which the players can visit or not as they wander around and explore the area. Some of them are hidden, others are easily locatable, etc. So once you do the intro part of the adventure, the party gets to do more or less what they want within the region.

Happy to answer whatever questions folks might have, as always.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 21, 2010

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Hah, holy poo poo. Which book is that second one from? I'm assuming it's supposed to be a scene where an assassin is about to attack a relaxed party, but I've never seen it anywhere on the site before.

It's from one of the Legacy of Fire AP chapters (#3, I think). The group is being hosted by a sage while he deciphers a map they've gotten, and he's got a big communal bath area. Cue assassins, etc.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

So they've released the second chapter in the Kingmaker AP, which has an article about building your kingdom. A couple folks had expressed some interest in it, so here's a quick rundown.

Kingdoms have a number of attributes, but the key ones are Control, Stability, Economy, Loyalty and Unrest. Control is just a DC for Stability, Economy, and Loyalty checks, which happen once a month. Unrest is a penalty to those checks; if it gets too high you start to lose hexes or go into anarchy.

The kingdom's treasury is measured in Build Points; no keeping track of actual money, though there are ways for characters to put money into the kingdom (converting them to BPs).

Each kingdom has 11 "roles", each of which provides bonuses to the S/E/L rolls based on the character in that role. A character in a role has to spend at least a week of game time performing the functions somewhere in the kingdom. There are penalties for having vacant roles, generally. It doesn't specifically say but I'd guess that a single character can fill multiple roles if necessary.

Characters can issue "Edicts" which control taxes, whether or not there's festivals, and how aggressively they're promoting their kingdom for new settlers.

There's a fairly involved city construction section, where the party gets to found and layout a city on a grid; different buildings cost different amounts of BPs. The buildings usually provide some concrete advantage. BPs are also used to claim new territory and other miscellaneous things (like pay for festivals).

Once a month, you go through four phases: Upkeep, Improvement, Income, and Event. Upkeep's just what it sounds like: you pay some BPs to maintain the existing kingdom. You make a Stability check here, success reduces your Unrest. Improvement's where you claim new hexes, build stuff in your city, run roads, add farms, etc. Income is just what it sounds like; here's where your characters dump money into the kingdom or take it out. 4000 gp gets you a BP added to your treasury; taking one out gets you 2000 gp + some Unrest. Items worth over 4000gp have to be sold individually. Events is just a random event, usually it results in having to make one of the checks to see whether or not you can avoid or ameliorate it.

Characters get experience for establishing the kingdom and growing it, though the amounts are small enough that it's more a nice bonus than "hay I will make this my career". The group's still going to have to adventure.

It looks to me like it shouldn't take up an inordinate amount of time to handle the actual running of the kingdom, and there's enough meat to hook into if you wanted to expand things (the events in particular). The city construction seems a mite fiddly to me, but it's also kinda neat to be able to lay out buildings and see your city grow in a sort of fantasy SimCity thing, so maybe it'll work out in the long run. Once everyone's gotten into their roles and such I think it'd take maybe 15 minutes to handle a month's worth of activity at the kingdom level, with most of that taken up with deciding what city stuff to put in.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Gerund posted:

How easy is it to convert to 4E?

Pretty easy, I'd say. The roles give bonuses based on the character's stat modifiers, so you'd have to play with those a bit, perhaps. There's some magic items in the city, but that should be fairly easy to convert for 4e, I'd imagine. I don't actually know exactly how 4e handles magical treasure, so I don't want to say "no problems at all" but that part of the city rules should be easy to drop or modify as necessary. Slight tweaking of events as there's a couple that involve assassination attempts or monsters; you'd have to use the 4e versions. It does assume a hex-based map (or a map with a hex overlay ala the 1e FR set, if you remember), but that's not inherently PF or 3.5 so shouldn't be too much of a barrier.

Gerund posted:

Does the "fluff" of the city make it that-adventure only?

No, there's actually very little fluff at all in the city descriptions. The whole thing is designed to be as location- and group-agnostic as possible. It's literally a list of buildings with build costs and benefits to them. Most of the benefits are just modifiers to the various kingdom attributes (bonuses to the Stability or Economy rolls, for example).

Gerund posted:

How much does it cost to purchase just that, without any pathfinder crap?

You can't; it's an 10 page article in the Adventure Path book. The PDF of that runs $14. Whether that's worth it or not, I can't say. I think the Adventure Paths are a pretty good value whatever system you choose to use, but YMMV.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Father Wendigo posted:

Tolan, I can't thank you enough for this rundown. Enough time had passed that I had forgotten about Kingmaker, but I'm now left with pause as to wether I should get this in PDF or print.

My pleasure; the Pathfinder guys do pretty kick-rear end campaign/adventure work, regardless of what you think of their rules. I'm always happy to pimp that end of it out.

I've been thinking about trying to run Kingmaker in Fantasy Grounds or something but I'm not sure I have the prep time.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'd honestly just ignore them. They're flavor best used in tiny doses. The meat of the setting works just fine without them.

I think one of the Paizo guys has a hard-on for "Oriental Adventures"-type stuff, which is why that stuff's there.

I'm kinda not looking forward to the adventure path that's based on a trip over the arctic circle to Tien for that reason. The basic idea seems holy gently caress cool (Marco Polo.. only with Baba Yaga & her daughters and it's across the North Pole) but then you realize you're going to have half the Path dealing with the horrible Japanese ^_^ stereotypes and..

But yeah, the basic Western European bits are pretty well done.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'll have to dig out the Pathfinder issue with the writeup on Varisians and see if it's got that lovely "Gypsy scum!" tinge to it.

I seem to remember some mention at Paizocon last year of them wanting to do more Vudrani (the India-analogue) stuff. I'll have to keep an ear out this year and try to sneak in some "please don't pull the stereotypes out!" comments.

My recollection is they went with the old "it's easier for people to get a handle on the culture if you can say 'it's Chinese, but <x>'".

I think the best decision they made was to leave out game mechanics as much as possible. Almost all of the campaign stuff is system-agnostic. Obviously, they're eyeing Pathfinder/3.5 when they write it, but there's very little crunch in the fluff.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yes, they had a section in one of the early adventure paths (Runelords, I think) on Varisians. I can dig it out later and give you some information there, if you like. What stuff are you interested in?

There have been two points I can recall that they've emphasized nationality in the Adventure Paths. In Rise of the Runelords, the very first book, one of the main families in Sandpoint is Tien (they run the Glassworks in town, and there's a plot point about the family).. but the plot action doesn't actually have much to do with the family being Tien. There's also mention of the Sczarni, who are portrayed as the Varisian mafia, but they don't play a direct role in the path per se.

In Curse of the Crimson Throne there's a lot of Shoanti involvement, and I think they handled that pretty well, though the picture of the Shoanti ambassador in Edge of Anarchy is cringe-inducing. One of the major villians in the Path is Vudrani, too, though that's mainly because they're rakshasa posing as a noble family.

Beyond those and the Gamemastery adventure set in Vudra, I don't think they've actually made a lot of noise about an NPC's nationality. Could be wrong, though, there's a lot of NPCs.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

No.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 26, 2010

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

NorgLyle posted:

Wouldn't it be easier just to type 'no'?

Maybe? I don't know what Mikan uses as his criteria for "two-dimensional thieves and con-artists"; the stuff I quoted, at least, provides a view that's not all thieves and con-artists.

So instead I'm providing some background for him to make up his own mind, and maybe stimulate some discussion.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

There ya go.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm a bit confused, then. Varisians, for example, are presented in a superficially "lol gypsies" way. Yes, they wear scarves; yes, they travel nomadically about a region; yes, they are generally distrusted by peasants in that region.

The scarves are a cultural artifact that describes the bloodline/clan of the person wearing it. The nomadic behavior is rooted in the cataclysmic events that happened about 10k years prior to current gametime--escaping rampaging magical disaster. The distrust is engendered by a particular clan of the Varisians that specializes in non-violent crime.

Does this make them a well-rounded group of individuals? Does the background detail matter if the surface detail implies something racist?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

fritz posted:

No. If you're making a not-Gypsy and you put in the usual anti-Gypsy calumnies you can put in all the background detail you like and it won't mean poo poo, you've still made a racist not-Gypsy culture.

The only calumny I can see them referenceing is that "they're all thieves". The nomadism, living as entertainers, clothing choices, etc, aren't calumnies because they're not negatives.

Unless you'd rather have the Varisians be living in grinding poverty because of the racism of the Chelaxians who've settled Varisia? That would be closer to the reality of it, I think, since that's basically what happened to Romani in historical Europe: ghettoized and "othered" by pretty much everyone.

Not suggesting that including that "oh hay some of these guys are thieves" was a good move, but is leaving that out enough to take off the taint?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

NorgLyle posted:

Black people are so athletic and Asians are just so smart. It's not racist, guys. I'm saying good things about a broad group that stands in for real world people in my game world!

So, basically you can't use real-world analogues of any kind, good or bad, because hey, racist!

All fantasy cultures must be unique and unrelated to any real-world culture in any way!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

No, I agree. What I was objecting to was the idea that applying anything stereotypical about a group as a characterization was racist. Specifically, in the context of Varisians, that stuff that lends them the "gypsy" feel (scarves, traveling, entertainers) was inherently "racist".

I think that in the context of Golarion, there are reasonable, non-demeaning explanations for the traveling, the scarves, dancing, and entertainment focus. I can't and won't defend the addition of the "thieving" Varisians, because that's the distasteful and ugly part. The fortunetelling is iffy, as it was used as an excuse by the medieval church to persecute and terrorize the Romani population of Europe.

I think it's laziness on the part of Paizo to not further define and differentiate their pseudo-cultures from the real-world base culture. I think that the "expanded" articles that have shown up in the various Pathfinder issues have addressed some of the concerns raised in the descriptions in the Campaign Setting, which seems natural given the page counts involved. They did gently caress up by leaving the Sczarni in as part of the Varisian culture, instead of pulling them out and making them into a more catholic crime organization (ala the Red Mantis guys or the pirates).

I don't think I've seen much on the not-Japan and not-India to necessarily judge where they're going with them. That's why my question about superficial "feel" versus the (possibly) more nuanced view you get from a longer, more detailed take.. to which the answer was "doesn't matter."

I'm not sure how you're supposed to adequately describe a fantasy culture without resorting to broad strokes (of either stripe).. which are generally stereotypes that individuals (PCs and NPCs) frequently flout. I agree that avoiding tired or obviously biased/racist tropes is a good thing, but I also think that if you're trying to evoke the "feel" of a particular real-world culture you have to provide at least some touchstones.

In the end, it doesn't sound like Golarion is for you, Mikan.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 27, 2010

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Mikan posted:

But I've said multiple times I like the other stuff in the setting??? I just don't like the racism and I'm genuinely surprised that anybody would put this kind of stuff in print in 2008. This is the kind of poo poo I expect to see in bad 80's cyberpunk games or old school D&D garbage.

Because the same writers doing about 80% of the stuff Paizo puts out for Pathfinder; the adventure path after this one is likely to reiterate all the stereotypes about the Tian you dislike, and there are other settings out there without all this stuff. Since I know you don't play PFRPG, doesn't seem like anything left; Golarion's pretty deliberately positioned as a "generic" fantasy world, and there are a multitude of those out there.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

My impression was that costs for things are assuming your players are using the BPs generated by their kingdom with minimal influxes of cash from the party treasury rather than outright purchasing things with gold pieces. One of the rewards for expanding the kingdom is that you can build/maintain more stuff.

There is a conversion for players to put gold into the kingdom (4k gp->1 BP, if I recall correctly), so it should be pretty easy to figure out what one of your heroic points is worth in gp and convert that to BP. Then the players just have one more place to spend their heroic points.

You'll probably also want to significantly alter or drop the "random magic items available in your city!" part.

Or am I missing something?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

PFRPG Reference Doc posted:

Cantrips: Wizards can prepare a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, each day, as noted on Table: Wizard under “Spells per Day.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they are not expended when cast and may be used again. A wizard can prepare a cantrip from a prohibited school, but it uses up two of his available slots (see below).
(from http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/wizard.html#wizard)

PFRPG Reference Doc posted:

Cantrips: Sorcerers learn a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, as noted on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known under “Spells Known.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.
(from http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/sorcerer.html#sorcerer)

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

mixitwithblop posted:

Paizocon is less than a month away: http://paizo.com/paizocon

Event schedule and signup: http://paizo.com/paizocon/events

Anyone going to attend? I'm running some PFS sessions there.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Sure, you can ask here.

It appears from a quick reading of the Sneak Attack section in the Rogue class description that yes, the rogue would get the +xd6 to each attack that hit.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Are there any new prestige classes or anything else worth worrying about as a player in the shiny new pathfinder dmg book?

Not really. They put all that stuff in the Advanced Player's book that's coming out at GenCon.

The GMG is pretty squarely aimed solely at GMs. There's a bunch of information on running the game (i.e., handling player interests/types, structuring a campaign, describing the world, etc.) and some handy NPC templates to make things easier on GMs running their own stuff as opposed to Paizo's stuff. There's essentially no "this is stuff for players to use" in the book.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That's a little disappointing, I was hoping for awesome new stuff, I have to level my wizard up before we play again and wanted to look at other classes.

the guy from my FLGS did make sure he preordered enough(of the PH2) for my game group though, which was pretty rad of him even though none of us asked him to. :3:

Well, you can look at the actual new classes here.

They're also going to be adding a bunch of options for the base 11 classes; see here for the very basic rundown of what's in the APG. I suspect if you check the Paizocon forum you'll find more detail about what they previewed at the banquet.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Gr3y posted:

While I'm a huge 4e fanboy I like a lot of what I see in Pathfinder. However I loving hate, HATE, sitting down and going through a book to roll up a character. Is there a piece of software that lets me make a character quickly and print right to the official character sheets?

Ahahahahahaha...

Not really. There should be, but honestly Paizo's not the most technical of companies. On the one hand, no overblown technical miracle promises, on the other hand nothing comparable to DDI.

I think the closest commercial product is Hero Lab and there's PCGen (which is free, but no idea on quality).

Whether or not they actually make character creation easier, I don't know; that's probably down to how familiar you are with the process. It's not a hell of a lot different than 3.5, so if that was a pain for you (and it sounds like it was) Pathfinder's not going to be any better.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I haven't, because I've burned out on Pathfinder/D&D for a bit and am switching to run some Kerberos Club/Wild Talents stuff as a break.

I think, from reading it, however, that you're supposed to let the players go wild with exploration and city/realm building, though. There's numerous points where they say "ok, do the kingdom stuff for a year or so now". Basically, it boils down to having your players wander around their kingdom and deal with threats/events/encounters until you're ready to advance the main plot of the Path. The first chapter is a bit more traditional, since the realm isn't technically founded yet, but once you're past that the impetus for advancing things depends on your players to a large degree.

Between their actions (exploring, "city"-building, intrigue) and the plot(s) given in the books, you should be able to move forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Stuntman Mike posted:

How much interest is there for a Pathfinder PBP game 'round these parts? I'd like to run some modules or an adventure path if I could get 4 players on board.

I'd be down.