Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I don't think they're ridiculously broken. They certainly keep non-magical weapons on par for another level or two, particularly ranged. I can see the possibility for abuse, however, particular when you start getting into mighty ranged weapons and magical arrows and weapons.

If he's dead-set against them try suggesting that the duration be dropped from 1 min/level to 1 round/level or to "next <level, level/2> attacks". That way they're still useful but you've got to be a bit more judicious when you cast it and you're not going to be steamrolling through whole encounter areas with lead arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't think twice about including it as-written in my game.

I don't think it's a thread derail, either, since we are talking about Pathfinder.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Point the GM at the PFSRD: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

It's got all the stuff from the APG available so she can peruse it herself.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Klungar posted:

Are feats and spells up yet? We use that all the time, and I personally wasn't able to find them on there.

Looks like spells + class stuff are up, but feats are still not there.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, particularly for classes in 3.5 with 2+Int skill points (like, fighters). Skill points are "welp, that's the skill I'm raising this level!" affair for them.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Nothing really jumps to mind beyond the pitfalls inherent in any kind of sandboxy game. The hardest bit is likely to be convincing your players that really, truly, they're driving this thing for the most part, so they need to be proactive about looking around and investigating things. Depending on your group, that might not be an unusual thing or difficult thing for them to grasp.

After that, the only concerns would be if they explore east or west rather than heading south towards the Stag Lord/kobolds/etc. Getting in over their heads *might* not be a bad thing, again depending on your group, but it's something to prep for. Maybe have a "random" encounter that's enough to beat them silly but not kill them. Or just let them drop in over their heads.. though you should probably warn them at the outset if that's the way you're going to play it, so the players aren't taken by surprise.

Other than that, maybe just make sure to drop hints about the larger plot going on well in advance. For whatever reason I don't feel like they did a very good job introducing that until the midpoint or beyond of the AP. Just my feeling, though--I think if there's hints early on it'll make the whole thing seem less out of the blue.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Maybe just emphasize the exploration rules (and the XP they get for doing it even if they don't find anything noteworthy) and the overall sandboxy nature of things.

Well, the easiest answer is *because* they're not particularly tied to Brevoy.

Brevoy's got a bit of a north-south conflict going, and the folks in Restov are looking for a) a stable region to their south that's b) not beholden to anyone but them.

A realm ruled by folks without ties to *either* side is preferable to folks tied to Restov (could draw the ire of the northern end of the country--"Restov's obviously trying to expand their influence and upset the balance!") or the northern end.

What campaign traits did they pick?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'd probably hinge the charter on the dwarf (as he's a nobleman and would have the least issue getting such a thing) and have the others be members of his group as far as the Restov lords are concerned. Maybe ask them to explain why they're grouped and have a charter--let them figure it out with your input.

Kingmaker's all about player initiative and involvement, so why not start from the beginning: "You have this charter from Restov. Why did they give it to you, and what ties you four together?" Phrased for your group, obviously, so they know it's not a test or anything.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'd be interested, depending on what night it is.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Next time just say "no, thanks" instead of planning to be a douche.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Summoner party-destroying wackiness: see the thread starting here and moving forward.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Summon monster is olyaffected by anti-magic field if the creatures are magical. Otherwise as long as you summon them outside the field it doesn't affect them.

Actually, all summoned monsters are affected by antimagic field:

PF SRD posted:

Summoned creatures of any type and incorporeal undead wink out if they enter an antimagic field. They reappear in the same spot once the field goes away.

And that's pretty much unchanged from the 3.5 version of the spell.

Since eidolons are considered summoned creatures ("Eidolons are treated as summoned creatures, except.."), unless the eidolon has SR it would wink out until the summoner left the area affected by the antimagic field. Even then, it'd only be SR25 (at the level of the character mentioned above), so it's very likely that whatever effect was causing the antimagic field would be able to overcome it moderately easily.

It's still a dick move, though.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The rest of that sentence you quoted reads "...that they are not sent back to their home plane until reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to or greater than their Constitution score."

Which means that the only way to send them home is to kill them, or banish/dismiss.

..and the antimagic field isn't sending them back to their home plane, ala banish/dismiss, it's just making them "wink out" temporarily. It's suppressing the summoning.

*shrug*

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'll just point out that while they shifted the sweet spot a tad for Pathfinder, it still really is geared for like level 5-12 play. Even the Adventure Paths, put out by Paizo, top out at 18 for most of them; one tops out at like 14-15.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm not sure they're allowed to say it due to trademark restrictions, either from the OGL or from WotC/Hasbro.

EDIT: Yeah, it's "Product Identity", so per the OGL they can't use it without a separate agreement with WotC.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 16, 2011

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Also, persistent damage is nasty, even if you have assistance. The flat roll with no end is kinda nuts.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Wolf Pussy posted:

You get an extra DC 15 check for every action you or an ally spends. It’s easy to focus away once the fight is over.

It still feels needlessly fiddly compared to the other conditions.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

If it's anything like 1e or the 3.x days there will be a billion character sheets available within a couple weeks of release.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Mostly it's on the players to figure out how to make that happen if they need? Like, find a defensible room and hole up or retreat out of the keep for a bit to catch their breath. If you're hip-deep in kobold keep with lots of active enemies around it'll be harder to figure out how to do it, but that's kind of the genre expectation.

I mean, no, the GM isn't just going to let the characters stand around in the entry hall for ten minutes while the enemies twiddle their thumbs, that's kind of silly unless the enemies are doing something in the meantime themselves--organizing a counter-attack, waiting for allies, etc. I don't think you'll ever see a rule that "after a fight, there will be at minimum 10 minutes of downtime for the players" because that's a bit silly. It's a choice for the players--do we push on despite <whatever condition> or do we try to find some way to hole up for 10-15 minutes and handle it, despite the presence of enemies?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Luebbi posted:

You're making this hard on yourself! Get Token Action Hud, it's great with pf2e. Then just click treat wounds in the utility tab. I think it also supports feats like risky medicine.

Token action hud will also allow your players to quickly attack eith the correct MAP and has toggles for stuff like sneak attack and finishers.

https://foundryvtt.com/packages/token-action-hud/

Judging by your comments, Toshimo, your DM maybe used a very old version of the PF2E ruleset and never bothered to update it, which has to be done manually (by clicking “check for updates”). It also sounds like he wasn't well versed in the system.

Many of the things you didn’t like are more automated or easier to use now. The system has matured immensely. Some, like the icon thing you complain about, aren’t bad – the magic wand leads to spells, the cardboard box to equipment, I think the system is pretty intuitive.

I’ve got to give you credit for giving it another chance despite your initial bad impression, but don’t have a youtube channel to recommend as I don’t watch live games. 

So, I'm Toshimo's GM, and I update Foundry modules at a minimum once a week, before the sessions. I have installed modules to make targeting easier (the mouseover->T functionality). I have installed the Token HUD. I have installed importers from Pathbuilder 2e and a couple of other online character sheets for people that prefer to keep them in other mediums and import them. I use the PDF2Foundry conversion for module creation (in this case, Abomination Vaults), with minimal if any adjustment of walls and such, though I do try. I have a number of other quality of life things in place to try and make things smoother. There's stuff that's not particularly supported by the PF2e module (familiars are.. sorta supported, for example), so I try to work around that.

That said, I cannot force engagement from players in terms of learning the interface. There will be a learning curve and there's not much I can do to shorten that beyond helping folks try to locate things if it's not clear. I can't see what's going on from the player perspective--which is a flaw in Foundry, honestly--so often it's hard to troubleshoot. For example, I don't know why the macro stopped working and started again. I don't particularly use macros myself, since I find that 99% of the things I need to do as a GM I can do directly via HUDs or the occasional /r. I suspect it cleared up when we switched scenes and things reloaded.

If players are unhappy with the pace of the adventure, well, that's news to me. And, honestly, in the end, if the players are unhappy with things I'd rather know that up-front, so I can either address them or gracefully call a halt to the game.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

M. Night Skymall posted:

You can create a test player and then join as the test player from your own link in a browser if you're self hosting, that's how I do most of my testing. You can also set them as observer or owner on all the player assets so they can see the union of what the players see etc. I find it pretty helpful. There're some handy DM macros as well. I have one that adds whatever I have selected + all the active players to the initiative tracker instantly, which is pretty nice.

Yeah, that's something I'll keep in mind for the future. I have the GM screen addon which is very handy for pulling things up, and like I said, haven't hit much that hasn't been covered somewhere on a sheet or in a compendium.

I usually just drag-select everyone and hit the combat button on whatever icon is selected, which adds everyone. Six of one, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

As Toshimo's dipshit GM I like Foundry but it's definitely possible to get buried under all the customization you can do.

That said, the Foundry discord was very responsive to requests for assistance.