Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tolan posted:

Happy to answer questions for folks if people want to know about the various products. I've run half of Rise of the Runelords, I'm currently running Curse of the Crimson Throne, and I've played through Second Darkness.
I'm brewing a setting that involves colonization of a new world, and I'm thinking about having abandoned battlements being part of the setting. From what you said in the post above, the Runelord series sounds great for some cherry picking. In addition, the Kingmaker series that got mentioned in here sounds like an idea mine as well.

So, two questions: what's the release schedule for the Kingmaker series, and do you have any recommendations for converting the stats in the Pathfinder adventures to 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

I'm guessing this is the best place to ask this question. What kind of demand is there for 3.5 ed books? I have a huge collection I'm thinking of selling online to make some space, but I'm unsure whether it would be worth the hassle, or what a reasonable asking price would be. At the moment I'm thinking about $10 a book, plus shipping. How does that sound?

Are you talking about the official 3.5 core books, or OGL books? Ten is okay (you might want to go a little lower to sell faster) for stuff like Player's/GM's Handbook. OGL stuff is a crapshoot that depends on the interest of the buyer.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

Wow. I might raise the price of the three core books then, though definitely not that high. It is a used book, after all. I am a bit confused why Amazon.co.uk is charging so much more for it. Amazon.com has it selling brand new for only $54.
Also note they have the 3.5 DM's guide for fifteen plus shipping. That said, I could swear the local used book store had a copy going for ~$20 a few months ago, which was par for their (retail * 2/3) price scheme. I'll have to stop by this week and see if it's still there.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Tolan posted:

So they've released the second chapter in the Kingmaker AP, which has an article about building your kingdom. A couple folks had expressed some interest in it, so here's a quick rundown.
Tolan, I can't thank you enough for this rundown. Enough time had passed that I had forgotten about Kingmaker, but I'm now left with pause as to whether I should get this in PDF or print.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 22, 2010

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Here's my situation: I joined a Pathfinder group a few months back. The group is great, though I'm not really getting into the system; I don't know if it's the system itself or the DM's occasional flights of 'whimsy' (We were going to the 'Plane of the 4 Horsemen,' so our local system buff dropped his Wizard in favor of a Paladin with fat bonuses against Demons. The DM's response? "These are creature type Daemons, not Demons. Those bonuses won't work, sorry!"). I tend to miss a session every month or so due to a call-in at work, and I guess I missed a pretty crucial point, as half the group bolted in different directions as the Big 4 actually showed up. The DM thinks it's pretty likely we're going to die, so he wants us to have a new character 'just in case.'

I have an idea: a grizzled old Half-Orc Witch. She'll start at level 7, which is getting close to where most semblance of balance flies off of the rails if I've heard correctly. I want to make a tough old bird who can support any party, no matter how dysfunctional (to wit: our cleric is planning on making a pure fighter because he hates dealing with/orgainzing magic and feels underpowered; the afore mentioned bolting of two party members in opposite directions despite the fact that we were almost killed by just sleeping in the shithole plane we got dragged to and only survived as a party).

I got some suggestions off of IRC (trade feats for hexes, ect.), but was warned that the DM would probably reign in anything like spamming a sleep spell. So please, if you can think of any build, I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

edit: Even if it's just a list of feats, spells, or an ability score array, I'll do my best to work with the group's system buff to make it work.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 11, 2012

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

veekie posted:

Inverse Icarus posted:

You mentioned something about your Cleric wanting to be a Fighter, or something, and if you need some backup healing a Witch can supplement a mixed-class healer well enough.
With a cleric in the party, it'd probably be a bit redundant I think. Channel positive is going to be better than the healing hex and they get it automatically.
You misunderstood me. The current cleric is being played by a guy who is the antithesis of system mastery. Over the two years he's played his cleric, he's increasingly felt that he's barely treading water when it comes to fighting, surviving, or healing. Further, he doesn't like having to deal with spell lists, slots, and the oh-so-goddamned many situational rules that spring up when he tries to do something. So his current plan is to get his cleric to safety, retire her, and then start a new Fighter built exclusively to survive - that way, he feels he'll at least do a good job surviving and hitting.

Also, we had that impending session I alluded to previously tonight. I typed up a wall of text explaining what happened, but who cares: Save or Die with a blast radius of over 100 feet gets dropped within five minutes of sitting down, and I and my mount get insta-killed within the first seven minutes of a four hour session. ~Good Times~

One of the other players statted and wrote up a character for me, a STR based Bard/Dragon claw something-or-other. It sounded weird as hell, but he said Bards only really need a CHA of 16 to work. Still, I have to admit that I'm kind of interested in the Witch. Thoughts?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

My DM has mentioned that Paizo is releasing an 'Ultimate Campaign Guide' that's supposed to reintroduce balance and other things into the game, but the product page seems to imply something very, very convoluted to the point of mental illness by numerical value attribution.

If anyone has had any playtest/early teaser experience with this, could you share it with me?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Tezzor posted:

Why are these guys so obsessed with caster supremacy? Have they seriously never played their own game past level 7?

Hah, you think they actually play their own game. That's rich.

I wish I could say I was surprised by this, but Pathfinder (or more specifically, SKR) going all in on the niche it's chosen seems to be par for the course lately.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Night10194 posted:

How. How can they keep doing this? How can they honestly not see why any of this is a bad idea?

You must be new to Dungeons & Dragons 3.X Homebrew Pathfinder. You're expected to get sick of how bloated and incomprehensible the product has become and come up with your own ruleset/house rules to make a functional setting, because that's what the writers did back in the dying days of 2E. The publishers trust you'll still purchase their fine product because drat that's nice artwork.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

A Witch would make a good grizzled old Sea Hag who predicts the weather with fish entrails. She could be thrifty and reuse them for a stew to double as the ship's cook.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Axiem posted:

At the moment, I'm talking ~8th level Wizard. The BBEG is likely higher level, and has a goal of killing us. The environment can be variable; I'm asking in a more general case, though, because I'm curious. I've been in a couple of games now where there comes a certain point where all the BBEGs are flying, and the melee fighters complain because they can't just go up and smash him--and the party has no archer. I'd like to know how to circumvent those sorts of situations.

Is your GM the kind of guy who gets these totally awesome setpiece ideas in his head that end up translating to a three hour combat slog or party wipe that ends up getting retconned? Because 'Wizard 3+ levels above the party, possibly with goons to act as interference' is setting off alarm bells.

Nth'ing having a talk with the GM before this goes down, particularly about how to not invalidate the fight for the Fighter.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Veyrall posted:

Maybe now that they've finally just made THE supreme caster, they'll maybe allow non-casters to do cool stuff?

Nah man, think Yin and Yang. Now that they've made the supreme caster, they're going to have to make the supreme martial shiteater.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Adept Nightingale posted:

Have not historically been a big Pathfinder fan (though I played a ton of 3.5E), but the Pathfinder Unchained announcement Paizo made over the weekend has me really intrigued.

In short, they're looking to reduce a big book of optional rules that improve the game by saying to hell with backwards compatibility. With D&D Next looking so... I dunno, grognardy, I can't think of a better business move for them to be making right now.
Considering how well the Martials splatbook panned out, I'll reserve judgement/excitement for after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Libertad! posted:

All in all, a clusterfuck.
Speaking of Clusterfucks, what's up with Pathfinder Online? I haven't heard anything about that in a while now.