Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Yeah, I'm probably going to disallow it in the short-term until I become fully versed in the mechanics. My 5th player has finally returned from whatever strange realm he was trapped in for the last month and has decided he wants to play a summoner in my Kingmaker game. Unfortunately, this guy is the single greatest optimizer I have ever met. He is a GREAT roleplayer, and an all around nice dude, but he is able to find absurd combos without even breaking a sweat. Therefore the idea of letting him play a summoner is kind of scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Ugh. This is the response I got from my 5th player. He kind of has a point...

My player posted:

It's a pick your poison thing, I think. I've looked at summoners and wizards alike in pathfinder, and both can be pretty scary. The summoner trades 7-9th level spells for a lingering tank like buddy and improved hp, the wizard is well, a wizard. If you'd prefer I do not play a summoner, I'll play a wizard: conjurer instead, elf.

Hah. So I guess the question is. Is a conjurer wizard any less insane than the summoner?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Kingmaker goes from level 1 to roughly level 16. I'm seriously torn here. In every game he plays in, he makes these really efficient characters, but I've never seen him play a wizard. I'm actually scared because I'm not super mechanically-minded and I can't even begin to predict what a wizard in his hands could do.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The basic point he is trying to make with that message is that he could probably break the game using only core rules without breaking a sweat, so banning certain classes isn't going to change that. I know that makes him sound like a douche, but he won't actually break that game because he is a nice dude.

So basically the question I have to mull over is which is going to be more painful for me? A summoner or a wizard?

EDIT: I have Trailblazer, but considering the pile of rules I'll be introducing just with the Kingdom-making aspects of the adventure path, I don't want to throw even more at my players. They aren't all super crunch monkeys like player 5.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The other players are a wizard, an alchemist, a ranger, and a monk. The 6th player coming in is likely player a martial class of some type.

I re-read the arguments from a few pages back...is a proper solution to just make the extra claws a secondary attack?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
So the Ultimate Magic playtest begins today. I'm actually considering sending a copy of the Magus pdf to my player just to see if he takes it over the summoner.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Hahaha, what the poo poo is this?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The syringe fingers are what really caught my eye. I noticed the big blue one first, and then I saw that ALL of it's fingers were needles and had to laugh.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Okay, weirdness from my 5th player continues. He still hasn't arrived in town yet so all my contact with him is through email. This is always fun because he never responds to email, or phone calls, or people knocking on his door....ever. In any case, he sent me a flurry of emails over the last few days which were just different summoner builds showing his plans from level 1 to 20. I didn't respond yet, because I'm busy as hell, but then I got a new email today.

quote:

Since the caster and the warforged won't likely work, given circumstances, I decided to see what I could do with a straight fighter build.

I don't know what the gently caress. The only MAJOR change in my game is that I've removed the "Big Six" magic items and replaced them with a hero point system that would keep their power levels the same, but would also leave all their slots open for more interesting magic items. If anyone gets hosed by this, it would be fighters since casters would still be...casters. Ugh.

EDIT: A lot of his emails are really hard to read because he writes in pure "optimizer" mode all the time. So I might have missed something in there.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Hah, I've actually been playing with him for years and he is a great player. A lot of this weirdness is coming from that fact that he has been out of town for a long time and keeps saying that he is going to be coming back "next week". It's really easy to talk with him in person, but he is famously difficult to communicate with in any other way. He never answers emails, his phone always goes to voice mail, if you talk to him over an IM program he never responds. It's weird as gently caress, and it makes it really hard for me to figure out what he is trying to say when he finally does email me.

He must post a lot on optimizer boards, because his characters are written up in some short-hand that makes it somewhat hard to translate. I'm used to players giving me their race/class combo, some stats and a short story. He sends the character from level 1-20, all the feats he'll take, every magic item he plans to buy, the buffs he'll be using at level 5, level 10, level 16, etc, the stats of his character when under these buffs....and then my eyes just glaze over because all I wanted to know what his character's name. None of this is a problem in person, because he is perfectly normal then.

In any case, the decision to remove the "Big Six" was discussed around the table with my other 4 players, so he obviously didn't know about it until one of them emailed the whole group for a clarification about it. All I can think is that maybe losing the ability to buy items hosed with his character concept that he worked on and he doesn't even want to think up a new one.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
As was already said, monsters from the bestiary are not balanced to be used by players as PCs. There aren't a whole lot of ways to fix that, since they're designed to be challenges for PCs.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The thing about the public playtests is that they're not really going to be using what people say to drastically change the designs. They use internal playtesters for that kind of stuff. The public playtests are more like free advertisements for their books. They managed to sell 1,000 copies of the Beta corebook at Gen Con even though there was a free pdf anyone could download and the book was going to be obsolete in less than a year. People brought those books home and started their groups playing Pathfinder a year before Pathfinder was even out.

Everything is marketing with Paizo. Every blog post, every "casual" photo that has 17+ paizo products sitting innocently in the background, and these playtests.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
A level 1 Alchemist can also do enough unresistible AoE fire damage to kill most CR 1 monsters.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Kvantum posted:

James Jacobs (Paizo's Creative Director, though not the main rules designer) has, by his own admission, never even read Bo9S, let alone thought about rules along those lines. Ultimate Combat should be coming out sometime in 2011, though.

I actually got emailed by the Paizo mods and was basically told to shut the gently caress up because I basically called JJ out on this. I had lots of fun playing 3.5, but even I can admit that Bo9S was a great idea on how to run melee heavy classes. I've started huge fights on the Paizo boards about this, and it still boggles my mind that the Bo9S is not used as the foundation for running D&D/PF fighters.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
As someone that usually defends Paizo's business decisions (if not the actual mechanics of their game), but who also sits and makes fun of people paying to play vaporware betas in the MMO HMO, I don't exactly know where I stand on this. MMO's are stupidly hard to make, and they are basically using the guy who completely did not understand what players wanted in EVE. I mean, we've been making fun of this guy for months in the EVE threads.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Love it or hate it, EVE is basically the closest I've seen an MMO get to being a sandbox (and I played UO before the Felucia/Trammel split).

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Beach posted:

And at some point you'll have to decide who has the fattest pc.

Hahaha, I can just picture the discussion my group would get into if I suddenly posed them with this question out of the blue.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

El Jebus posted:

My party was just TPK'd last week and we are rolling new characters. This is for a Kingmaker campaign and we are all level 8. The other 4 in the group have decided upon a Human Paladin and Human Barbarian (brothers), a Gnome Summoner, and a Gnome Bard (comically carrying the Banner of the Ancient Kings... ha ha?). Since we will have 3 melee characters and the bard to provide buffs, I am having a hard time deciding where to fill in the cracks. I first rolled a ranged cleric but decided that both an Inquisitor and the Oracle could do that job better, with the Oracle keeping the full casting class option and the inquisitor fulfilling the ranged damage output better (elf, longbow, bane, judgements). I am not against playing a ranger either, but I just can't decide which route to take. Any suggestions?

Out of curiosity, how is your DM handling the introduction of your new party into the campaign path? When I DMed Kingmaker a TPK (or even the death of a few of the characters) was a big worry for me because the nation-building seemed kind of dependent on most of the big personalities who are building the the nation actually stick around or the entire area falls back into chaos again.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
One of the tips James Jacobs always used to mention when talking about designing high-level adventures was that the basic ideas of "kill this guy" or "grab this thing" have to be put by the wayside because spells like scry & teleport make doing those two things very easy. Instead player goals have to be a lot more abstract so that three spells and a round of combat don't end your adventure 15 minutes into the game.

EDIT: A great example is the near end-game adventure in Shackled City where (major Adventure Path spoilers follow) the villains start a ritual that causes a volcano to begin erupting below the city the PCs have been living in for 15+ levels and the PCs have to balance saving people living in the city from the natural disasters (which is fun as poo poo since players get to use all their high-level powers to creatively defeat the elements instead of monsters), while at the same time find time to seek out the baddies and stop the ritual. That adventure is awesome because it keeps ramping up how poo poo can go wrong and then when the PCs are tired and spent and think it's time to take a breather one last "gently caress you" appears in the form of a simple level-appropriate monster encounter.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 30, 2013

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

obeyasia posted:

I'm gay for Barbarians. Whats the sweetest Barbarian stuff you've ever played or seen?
(open question to anyone).

This isn't Pathfinder, but rather 3.5 D&D, however during the Age of Worms Adventure Path I had a player who played a barbarian that had some strange combination of feats that made him a beastly grappler. If I remember correctly he could do extra damage while grappling, added damage he did in a round to his grapple rolls, got a free AoO triggered when something tried to grapple him, got some kind of special bonus to grappling when raged, and so on...

Since everything in that AP is supposed to be stuff decaying, past it's prime, etc. he basically was playing an older gladiator past his prime like Mickey Rourke's character from The Wrestler, who essentially ran around the whole campaign raging and then supplexing, power-bombing, and pile-driving absolutely EVERYTHING because, as it turns out, EVERYTHING in Age of Worms attempts to grapple the PCs.

It all started so simple too. Just him smashing a couple of zombies that liked to hug at little too much, but by the end he was essentially tombstone pile-driving worms the size of school buses off the tops of towers and poo poo. It was glorious.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Mimir posted:

Did he... Did he end up punching Kyuss?

I believe the sentence went along the lines of..."Kyuss thinks that HE has engulfed me, but what he doesn't realize is that I can grapple in every direction now!"

EDIT: I'm now remembering that this was the same campaign where the Paladin was swallowed and had to burst out of something at least once per session because he always failed grapple checks.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 8, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

le capitan posted:

In 3.5 I played a Barbarian with the lion spirit totem variant. I could "pounce" power attack while charging and do metric fucktons of dmg. I then dipped into bear warrior and warshaper. Basically i could rage transform into a bear and with warshaper you do tons of dmg, can sprout another limb and eventually you can extend your reach to 10ft.

Bear spirit lion amoeba barbarians are where it's at. Every morning i woke up covered in the blood of my enemies.

I played something similar once when my group's super min-maxing motherfucker decided to DM a game and said, "I tend to run hard encounters, so let me know if you need help making a tough character." So I decided to go hog wild and told him to make me a barbarian that is just nothing but damage, damage, and more damage...I don't care if he can even form complete sentences I just want damage. Some kind of multi-armed bear warrior is what he handed back.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Tome of Battle is the absolute best way to fix martial classes even in Pathfinder. It takes a day to read it and figure out how it works, but after that its basically awesome. The stuff in that book is so good that my min-maxing, power-gaming, wizard and cleric players both took levels in classes from that book to make their cleric and wizards even more OP. That's how good the classes in that book are.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The funniest part about Pathfinder Online is that the way Paizo structured the thing they can't ever lose money on it. They made a separate company that is actually paying Paizo license fees to use the PF license, and that company is getting its money from investors and Kickstarter, not Paizo itself. However, because the board of Goblinworks is stacked with Paizo people, IF the company starts making money then Paizo will reabsorb it and take the profits, but if the whole thing tanks, Paizo will just dissolve Goblinworks and laugh because they still got all those licensing fees paid for through investors and Kickstarter buttheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I recall discovering a gay character or two waaaay back when Paizo was still publishing magazines, but I can't recall who they are anymore. It was probably one of the random NPCs in an adventure path since I ran so many of those back in the day. Paizo had those kinds of Easter Eggs all the time back then...like the adventure that involved the PCs exploring the X-Men mansion, or the adventure that involved the PCs investigating Wayne Manor.